Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the way spurs constructed this deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever since the draft, this website hasn’t been the same. Refreshing takes forever + frequent double posting from everybody

Servers need to be restarted? timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm counting 7 guys (Jak, Dougie, Thad, Collins, Eubanks, Samanic, Jock) for the 4 and 5 spot this upcoming season.

Any other front office and I'd be expecting a trade but i wouldn't be surprised if that dumbass Brian genuinely forgot about a few guys
    I also completely expect Pop to roll out the stupidest possible rotations. Like it'd make sense to see what you have in Luka and Jock this upcoming year so I'm assuming they'll naturally be shafted out of any rotation minutes.

Collins was such a re ed signing, par for PATFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Zollins had been undrafted and coming off these injuries then the Spurs would treat him like Kevin Pittsnogle
    That funny -- and probably not inaccurate, tbh.

Collins' main selling points:

-He's a former lottery pick
    -He's a great towel waver and has entertaining bench reactions
    -He has no character red flags (CREAM Team certified)
    -Gritty, gutty, scrappy, plays the game the right way, possession receiver type

If Eubanks was the lottery pick and Collins was the undrafted player, Eubanks would be considering a job at HEB to make ends meet, tbh. The lottery shine got Collins $10 million.

I mean, I liked Collins in his draft. Great length, great mobility and he shot damn near 50% on threes (though it was a low sample size). I paid close attention to him in Portland because I was interested in seeing what happened to a draft prospect I was high on. But, man, he never really put it together and then his ankle exploded (after he had that labrum injury, which can also be a career-derailing injury in itself).

Strange, strange gamble. Obviously I hope it works out but I struggle to see why the Spurs decided to gamble on him of all players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No agree. I’m saying they had to know POr wasn’t going to pay for the ability to get a TE right? In my mind you don’t do the Doug trade unless you already have Collins trade worked out.

Definitely don’t do 2 doug deals just for sake of it. But that’s the point; how do you do Doug deal if you don’t already have the other done?
    The problem wasn't doing the McD trade. It was being too cheap to just send cash to preserve the pick and/or not getting a real asset for the TE. If Indy was willing to pay and Portland wasn't or vice versa, it makes legit sense to do just one trade. Or if the Spurs had been able to wrap a Collins or McD trade into a bigger deal, then just doing one makes sense. But honestly, there's no reason to believe that doing one should've suggested the team was going to do the other. S&Ting like Chicago did is one thing. But the Spurs would've had to try hard to stay over the cap, including paying teams to make moves like Mills or Gay into S&Ts. McD was bad value, but even if the value was good, it still wouldn't've made a further Collins trade worse. In that same regard, there was probably a good Collins trade that would've remained good even within the reality that the McD deal was bad and shouldn't've been made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have always liked Collins game, personally. Hopefully he pans out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever since the draft, this website hasn’t been the same. Refreshing takes forever + frequent double posting from everybody

Servers need to be restarted? timvp
    Yeah, trying to figure out why the Primo pick killed the server. Hopefully will get it fixed soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching YouTube videos of Zollins is not encouraging.

He never 'pops' off the screen to me. He's a big, well, stiff.

He doesn't look like a stiff he just plays like one. Not a plus at anything. Especially with the ankle.

Eubanks has better clips.

I have much more confidence that Samanic can be a good player, and I'm no Samanic fan. He's always been bs fake shooter with T-Rex arms. But he is a lot more limber than I've seen from Zollins. And if Samanic moves better and is quicker up and down, then I don't think there's anything Zollins does better, especially on that ankle.

But I expect Samanic to be gone tbh, Zollins will get chances if cleared.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm counting 7 guys (Jak, Dougie, Thad, Collins, Eubanks, Samanic, Jock) for the 4 and 5 spot this upcoming season.
    I only have 6. Dougie a) doesn't rebound enough to be a 4, b) isn't big enough to be a 4, and c) can't defend against a 4's strength (admittedly, he can't defend a 3's quickness either, but...). I think Dougie's a 3 on this roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s weird to me that Spurs social media is making a big deal of this signing…
    Everything about him is theoretical.

Zollins: “Young guys running around…Guys going fast…”
    Not sure if he’s excited or intimidated by that tbh based on his reactions in the video. Probably envious…

Jock and Eubanks better get a fair shake at it this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have access to this article: https://theathletic.com/2709729/2021...a-great-story/

That's basically an agent fed puff piece. The interesting tidbits are there in the tweets.

Of course Collins and his agent are going to say his third surgery went extremely well (the s ches are healing great!!!1!) and that he'll be back ASAP as he's heading into free agency. In reality, his second and third setbacks came out of the blue (he was barely doing anything when the bone snapped) and the Spurs are going to be very cautious. Collins missing the entire season sounds likely to me. Rushing him back when a fourth setback would probably end his career is unlikely, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Any other front office and I'd be expecting a trade but i wouldn't be surprised if that dumbass Brian genuinely forgot about a few guys
    I also completely expect Pop to roll out the stupidest possible rotations. Like it'd make sense to see what you have in Luka and Jock this upcoming year so I'm assuming they'll naturally be shafted out of any rotation minutes.

Collins was such a re ed signing, par for PATFO
    To me it’s a ing re ed signing because the guy might not play next year. I’m tired of this team running a Make-A-Wish Foundation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it’s a ing re ed signing because the guy might not play next year. I’m tired of this team running a Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    He def has a punchable face

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it's not even close. Collins sucks. Forbes had a great series against Denver too. The Nuggets are just like that.
    He was already starting for POR at the 4 before injuries. Eubanks can't even provide 4 good minutes at the backup 5 in a play in game. Why is this even a discussion, they brought in 2-3 guys that can play his spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching YouTube videos of Zollins is not encouraging.

He never 'pops' off the screen to me. He's a big, well, stiff.

He doesn't look like a stiff he just plays like one. Not a plus at anything. Especially with the ankle.

Eubanks has better clips.

I have much more confidence that Samanic can be a good player, and I'm no Samanic fan. He's always been bs fake shooter with T-Rex arms. But he is a lot more limber than I've seen from Zollins. And if Samanic moves better and is quicker up and down, then I don't think there's anything Zollins does better, especially on that ankle.

But I expect Samanic to be gone tbh, Zollins will get chances if cleared.
    Are you serious ? eubanks with better clips ? I don't know what you watch but watching Collins with Gonzaga or Portland ( really good during the run in the PO 4 years ago) it's not the same kind of basketball compared to drew or luka. He looks way better than both.

The question is his health, the risk is there more than on his profile. Still the contract is well structured so not a bad deal imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was already starting for POR at the 4 before injuries. Eubanks can't even provide 4 good minutes at the backup 5 in a play in game. Why is this even a discussion, they brought in 2-3 guys that can play his spot.

Maybe he is talking about another Collins lol or he missed a lot of his games ( not saying he is really good but saying he sucks is strange, mostly when you say the contrary about forbes...)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you serious ? eubanks with better clips ? I don't know what you watch but watching Collins with Gonzaga or Portland ( really good during the run in the PO 4 years ago) it's not the same kind of basketball compared to drew or luka. He looks way better than both.

The question is his health, the risk is there more than on his profile. Still the contract is well structured so not a bad deal imo.
    Yes, I'm serious.

This guy got charity starts after Portland was getting killed for passing on Bam. 12 career starts, 1 double digit scoring game of 11 points. Shot 33% from 3. No big deal, Portland was trying to salvage value for a bad pick, happens all the time.

Why should anyone celebrate a starting big getting 7 points a game, with half a block and half a steal and 1 free throw a game in 26 minutes?

Collins is a hasn't really done anything ever and I'm not expecting anything moreso now that he hasn't literally run for over 12 months and has a bum able ankle.

Eubanks has better career stats as a starter. Check their o-ratings and d-ratings. What's so impressive about Collins if he wasn't a lottery pick who went to Gonzaga?

And I'll join timvp, that Athletic article was pure puffery.

I remember when Charles Smith had ankle surgery in the off-season and the positive talk in the express news afterwards. "Oh, doctors went in and discovered scar tissue was restricting his mobility by 90%! But they cleaned it all up and just wait until you see him next season! Spurs fans will finally see the potential of who they traded for, the real Charles Smith!"

He never played again.

Times are different with medical advances, but I'm fine being very skeptical.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here you go...

Bobby Marks
    BobbyMarks42
    2m
    Breakdown of the Zach Collins contract in San Antonio:
    2021-22- $7M (full guarantee)
    2022-23- $7.35M (50% guaranteed)
    2023-24- $7.7M ($0 guaranteed)
    Total guarantee is $10.675M This is a sold contract for both San Antonio and Collins.
    Does this make people feel better now? At this salary structure it’s a no brainer to me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I'm serious.

This guy got charity starts after Portland was getting killed for passing on Bam. 12 career starts, 1 double digit scoring game of 11 points. Shot 33% from 3. No big deal, Portland was trying to salvage value for a bad pick, happens all the time.

Why should anyone celebrate a starting big getting 7 points a game, with half a block and half a steal and 1 free throw a game in 26 minutes?

Collins is a hasn't really done anything ever and I'm not expecting anything moreso now that he hasn't literally run for over 12 months and has a bum able ankle.

Eubanks has better career stats as a starter. Check their o-ratings and d-ratings. What's so impressive about Collins if he wasn't a lottery pick who went to Gonzaga?

And I'll join timvp, that Athletic article was pure puffery.

I remember when Charles Smith had ankle surgery in the off-season and the positive talk in the express news afterwards. "Oh, doctors went in and discovered scar tissue was restricting his mobility by 90%! But they cleaned it all up and just wait until you see him next season! Spurs fans will finally see the potential of who they traded for, the real Charles Smith!"

He never played again.

Times are different with medical advances, but I'm fine being very skeptical.

The point is saying Samanic , Eubanks are looking better that's just the contrary for me. Collins is or was a way better player than both, maybe samanic can reach his ceilling one day, we'll see.

We just have a tottaly different opinion on him, that's fine. Imo a healthy Collins could be a good addition, i don't care about the report of his rehab.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not down on this signing at all myself. The protections are reasonable and i don't see a better gamble out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is saying Samanic , Eubanks are looking better that's just the contrary for me. Collins is or was a way better player than both, maybe samanic can reach his ceilling one day, we'll see.

We just have a tottaly different opinion on him, that's fine. Imo a healthy Collins could be a good addition, i don't care about the report of his rehab.
    I can only go on revisiting the clips on youtube, I don't have any games dvr'd or ripped of his

And yeah, if i want a big to move his feet on the perimeter, I think Samanic is someone I have a lot more confidence in. He can't shoot and is a turnover machine with a questionable at ude. But I think he moves better and would trust him more on defense.

Eubanks has other strengths. And I'm not a big Eubanks fan either. Milutinov would make him look like the third stringer he is. But I just think he has more pop than Zollins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this make people feel better now? At this salary structure it’s a no brainer to me.
    No.

Id rather just have kept Dieng

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was starting because Portland started him, not because he was good. Folks have to accept that all NBA players have talent. Every single one of them. Even at what you're considering his height, he was a below-average, net-negative player. Drew is better on both sides of the court and has a better contract. Again, it's not close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's basically an agent fed puff piece. The interesting tidbits are there in the tweets.

Of course Collins and his agent are going to say his third surgery went extremely well (the s ches are healing great!!!1!) and that he'll be back ASAP as he's heading into free agency. In reality, his second and third setbacks came out of the blue (he was barely doing anything when the bone snapped) and the Spurs are going to be very cautious. Collins missing the entire season sounds likely to me. Rushing him back when a fourth setback would probably end his career is unlikely, IMO.
    Depends on the way the guarantee is structured. If Collins can go into 2022-2023 without guaranteeing the entire year, the Spurs might do as you say. If they have to make a decision on him before the end of next season, he'll probably be back in time to let them see him play first.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember there was a lot of buzz on Collins after his first couple of years and he has an intriguing skillset for guy his size. Like the Primo pick, the Spurs are taking more calculated risks on players with potential. The guarantees are fine and perhaps could have been slightly lower but nothing to be upset about. This new strategy of going younger and finding players they like with upside seems to be a good plan. Time will tell.

This year will be the best version of the Spurs in years without LMA or DDR and their antiquated game. I'm not saying they will have more wins but it will definitely be a better product and aesthetically pleasing on the floor.

Thread Information