Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My contact with Magic FO says he would say there is a slight shift in momentum towards doing a trade. He would still lean towards Magic not being big players this deadline. The Magic would pursue one other target 1st over DDR, if they decide to try and make big move.

He says the rumors around Magic FO is most believe the Spurs stay pat or make a small move to get a player they think can contribute immediately and guarantee them 8th spot.

But they also think the Spurs are at least considering blowing it up so to speak & with the Grizzlies play of late finding a player that definitely puts you in the playoffs isn't easy. If Spurs decide to move DDR/LMA would want to have deal in place that moves both & likely Gay (one big trade or multiple deals they can execute at same time). The feeling was Miami was in best position to do this (with rumor trade also involving Sac/SA) but the kings moving Ariza, along with certain rules around using Bazemore in a trade, makes Miami package less attractive & more difficult to match salary requirements.

He says Orlando does have a framework they think would be generally agreeable to all teams, with pick distribution & ORL landing a 3&D guy being the biggest hurdle. From talking to him I put together what I think is at least close to framework Orlando would propose. He believes that Orlando acquiring DDR is directly tied to their ability to also acquire a 3&D player to put next to him & that Covington would be primary target. He says that Magic have framework for making Wolves part of blockbuster deal or doing a smaller trade after 3 team deal (ORL, SA, SAC) is complete. Covington & Twolves would be key in making deal work IF the other teams are willing. Many teams are interested in Covington & Twolves are in position to sit back and wait for very best offer. If Covington isn't available he isn't sure there is another 3&D guy on market to make trade work. Some of my proposal below is guess work (in terms of picks/fillers) based on things he said but a deal would include:

Orlando - DDR, Covington
    SA - Gordon, Barnes, Bogdanvic, Dedmon
    Sacramento - LMA, Gay, Ross, Bamba + pick(s)
    Minnesota - 1st pick, +player(s) and/or additional pick

https://tradenba.com/trades/3bDKg8mVy

Trade is not likely or imminent, but nice to hear there is at least some belief that the Spurs are at looking at options, including the potential of being willing to "blow it up"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a terrible trade for the Spurs. Just abysmal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually really like that trade for the spurs lol I’d love Gordon and Bogdanovich on the spurs I know we lose LMA and DDR but unless we make a strong push for that 8th seed we might as well try to get some young pieces for those guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a terrible trade for the Spurs. Just abysmal.
    I agree. I am fine with Gordon/Bog, but losing LMA/DDR and not getting any firsts is a loss.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m okay with it if they can forward Barnes to another team. I’d rather extend DDR than take Barnes for 3 more years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also says Magic FO believe Spurs wait until off-season or next year's trade deadline to make any major decision on future direction, but I'd they decided to be aggressive this deadline doesn't see a better package the Spurs can get.

The other factor I brought up was that it was hard to see the Spurs shipping LMA to a non contender. If the Spurs make moves involving any of DDR/LMA/Rudy, I think Pop will not be willing to send them to a non playoff team unless the offer is overwhelming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, that's a massive trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sac and Orl seem like perfect trade partners if you're moving a piece. Not so much if you're trading both DD and LMA. I think the Spurs could do a lot better if that were the case.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I am fine with Gordon/Bog, but losing LMA/DDR and not getting any firsts is a loss.

It would be complete and utter capitulation. The crowning achievement on three years of personnel mismanagement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trade is not likely or imminent, ...

Pop using his whiteboard to beat Bryn Forbes to death during the player introductions is more likely than that trade.

DDR isn't tradeable, because his contract price is too high for a player of his type. If he is motivated by money, he will exercise his player option, and be with the Spurs next season. If he is more motivated by a desire to be on a better team, he will opt out and try his luck elsewhere, even at a lower salary.

LMA will be here next season.

Gay will be here next season. He's no longer good enough to be tradeable at his contract price, and the contract is too large to be used as filler in another trade.

Patty Mills will be here next season.

Demarre Carroll's contract guarantees him $8 million more than he will have received at the end of this season. (A total of $15 mil guaranteed, after he gets $7 mil this year.) It will be hard to find a trade partner willing to pay Carroll another 8 mil after he has basically had an entire season off, at age 33. That sort of situation would ordinarily put a player in veteran minimum territory, for which the team liability is now only about $1.5 mil, I believe. The simple solution would be, well, simply to bring him back for another season, but...to do what? The Spurs have created a knotty puzzle for themselves with this one. An unpleasant possibility is that as Pau Gasol's $5 mil comes off the books, at the end of this year, another $5 mil replaces it, as the Spurs agree to pay that much to trade Carroll. We shall see.

Belinelli becomes UFA, and we can hope that for once the Spurs do the smart thing, and let him go.

Trey Lyles currently has $1 million guaranteed for next season. His $5.5 million salary, for next season, will be fully guaranteed on 6/30/'20 if the Spurs decide to keep him on the roster. Presumably, if the Spurs can sign a better player they will pay the million to let him go. So, can they get somebody better?

Jacob Poeltl becomes a restricted FA, with a qualifying offer of just a tad over $5 mil. I believe the Spurs should try to keep him. I wouldn't have thought so early in the season, but he's changed my mind.

The Unspeakable One, whose very name is a curse, becomes a UFA, and let us all pray to the basketball gods that so it shall be, and his memory fade from the minds of all Spurs fans.

Lonnie will be back.

Luka will be in Austin, one supposes.

Murray's new contract kicks in next season. He will be back.

Keldon will be in the second year of his rookie deal.

Derrick White will be back, I hope, although his contract is probably the easiest to trade.

Metu, the Spurs need to either fish or cut bait. Is he an NBA player or not?

One way or another, there could be as many as six spots to fill for next season. As far as what positions to look for, the fact is, every position on the team could be better, either at the starter or off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Nice, succinct summary of the Spurs current roster situation...as well as an eye-opening reminder of just how awful the Spurs have been at roster construction these past few years. Yuck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the FO hasn't done a good job in a few years (I'm being nice) but, I don't think they're dumb enough to to execute that trade (and the foreseeable future).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That trade is fake as Sh!t. Dedmon does not want to come back here & I doubt Pop wants him back.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a not so good trade. Harrison Barnes contract is terrible and no picks are given. Although the team would be almost 11 players deep

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the FO hasn't done a good job in a few years (I'm being nice) but, I don't think they're dumb enough to to execute that trade (and the foreseeable future).

Spurs have been making questionable decisions ever since kawhi demanded a trade. Almost makes you wonder what trade package they would have accepted if pop wasn't at the helm of the decision making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, that's a massive trade.
    8 player trades are incredibly rare tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if it's possible for us to get a 4 team deal, involving the Magic, Heat, and Wolves.

Main pieces moved

Spurs: Gordon, Winslow, a pick (maybe Orlando)
    Heat: LA, Belineli
    Magic: DD, Covington, Forbes
    Wolves: Bamba, Kz, Spurs 2nd round and Heats first round pick.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Orlando - DDR, Covington
    SA - Gordon, Barnes, Bogdanvic, Dedmon
    Sacramento - LMA, Gay, Ross, Bamba + pick(s)
    Minnesota - 1st pick, +player(s) and/or additional pick

https://tradenba.com/trades/3bDKg8mVy
    bamba instead of dedmon and im okay with that trade
    murray/walker/bogdanovic/gordon/bamba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if it's possible for us to get a 4 team deal, involving the Magic, Heat, and Wolves.

Main pieces moved

Spurs: Gordon, Winslow, a pick (maybe Orlando)
    Heat: LA, Belineli
    Magic: DD, Covington, Forbes
    Wolves: Bamba, Kz, Spurs 2nd round and Heats first round pick.
    Heat have no 1sts to trade.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I would like the Spurs to try and get that playoff streak record but the reality here is for now Spurs are no longer legit contenders. LMA and DeMar have proven to not be good enough to contend just barely make the playoffs in the West. I really thought the Spurs would be better than this after the Kawhi trade but the reality is the Spurs dynasty was over when Kawhi wanted out. Spurs are all about pride at this point with trying to keep that playoff streak alive and that's it. Pop is still the coach and Tim is an assistant coach but maybe it really is time to blow it up and rebuild. What kind of ceiling does this team really have? The Pelicans for instance have a much greater ceiling than the Spurs do. Zion could become a top 20 all-time great NBA player, they are set for years. The Spurs on the other hand have some young players that may or may not blossom into all-stars and some vets.

Spurs FO has some serious decisions to make about this team, it's an 8th seed playoff team at best. A rebuild will be tough but this team as is just trying to get that 8th seed and that's it.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like the Spurs to try and get that playoff streak record but the reality here is for now Spurs are no longer legit contenders. LMA and DeMar have proven to not be good enough to contend just barely make the playoffs in the West. I really thought the Spurs would be better than this after the Kawhi trade but the reality is the Spurs dynasty was over when Kawhi wanted out. Spurs are all about pride at this point with trying to keep that playoff streak alive and that's it. Pop is still the coach and Tim is an assistant coach but maybe it really is time to blow it up and rebuild. What kind of ceiling does this team really have? The Pelicans for instance have a much greater ceiling than the Spurs do. Zion could become a top 20 all-time great NBA player, they are set for years. The Spurs on the other hand have some young players that may or may not blossom into all-stars and some vets.

Spurs FO has some serious decisions to make about this team, it's an 8th seed playoff team at best. A rebuild will be tough but this team as is just trying to get that 8th seed and that's it.
    wow ur fast dude but still better later than never. Some ppl still dont notice that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Orlando: Derozan,Covington,Metu
    Spurs: Gordon, Barnes,Bejeica,Bamba,Heild
    Sacramento: Aldridge,Gay, Forbes
    Minnesota: Augustin
    Picks swapped as needed

This works salary wise.

SA takes biggest hit on win projection by far. Probably ends Spurs playoff streak

But builds young core for future

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Orlando: Derozan,Covington,Metu
    Spurs: Gordon, Barnes,Bejeica,Bamba,Heild
    Sacramento: Aldridge,Gay, Forbes
    Minnesota: Augustin
    Picks swapped as needed

This works salary wise.

SA takes biggest hit on win projection by far. Probably ends Spurs playoff streak

But builds young core for future
    Don't think Minny gets involved in that trade based on them getting Augustin. Covington is becoming a hotter commodity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had to move money to make Orlando able to execute trade and Minnesota shows only one pg on roster. Nuts and bolts are hard to do with this many teams. Just liked this mix than the trade mentioned above

Thread Information