Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes.

the scale can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale17.htm

19/20 and 20/21 should be the same. The numbers in the scale aren't the actual number, you have to add 20% to the number for the caphold
    Ask a question get an answer. of a set up you got here. Ty sir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    couldve sign some cheap big instead of overpaying for a scrub

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs really just got held hostage by a non Offensive backup Center in the modern NBA because they didn’t want the Kawhi trade to look any worse

Somehow the Kawhi trade did get worse by them signing Jakob under these conditions lol

This.

The money doesnt look that bad (in a vacuum as has been said). But the deal smacks of saving face for the trade that sent Kawhi away for basically nothing.

If LMA stays, these two deals will look strange. Paying market price and locking long term deals for two backup bigmen when youre not contending.

And yes it will make the FO look like absolute if this is the reason they cant lock up White long term

edit

it also looks like a face saving move given the draft blunders of drafting yet another PG and SG. Like "hey we really liked our big men, see! We didnt up in the draft after all"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing terrible.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're obviously not all-in on winning right now and have been actively opening spots for youngsters while not bringing on vets with long-term deals. But they are also not doing what's best for the team's future.

So it's difficult to understand what they're trying to do when they're not taking either of the two most obvious routes. Hopefully it makes sense at some point down the line but for now it looks like the Spurs are rudderlessly drifting between the two strategies.
    Well why we all want them to trade LMA, DDR, Gay, and Mills, I always assumed that the original plan was to just let all their contracts expire at the same time and open up a ton of cap space for next year...

There is also the human element of this where Poeltl is a guy you got in the Kawhi trade...there is no doubt at the absolute worst Demar is gone after next season...that means the kawhi trade only netted you poeltl and keldon...you let poeltl walk then the kawhi trade only netted you keldon... I assumed the spurs were always going to sign poeltl if for no other reason than to save face in that trade...

A short deal and not to big of an overpay for a big with quick feet, a good rim runner, and at times a really good rim protector...

I would like his offense to be better but realistically between dejounte derrick lonnie keldon and luka...exactly how many shots is he really going to get ? He sure as isn't getting shots this coming year with LMA DDR and Gay needing to showcase themselves for another nba contract...those 3 are shooting everything they touch...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well why we all want them to trade LMA, DDR, Gay, and Mills, I always assumed that the original plan was to just let all their contracts expire at the same time and open up a ton of cap space for next year...

There is also the human element of this where Poeltl is a guy you got in the Kawhi trade...there is no doubt at the absolute worst Demar is gone after next season...that means the kawhi trade only netted you poeltl and keldon...you let poeltl walk then the kawhi trade only netted you keldon... I assumed the spurs were always going to sign poeltl if for no other reason than to save face in that trade...

A short deal and not to big of an overpay for a big with quick feet, a good rim runner, and at times a really good rim protector...

I would like his offense to be better but realistically between dejounte derrick lonnie keldon and luka...exactly how many shots is he really going to get ? He sure as isn't getting shots this coming year with LMA DDR and Gay needing to showcase themselves for another nba contract...those 3 are shooting everything they touch...
    Right on the nosey with this one. LMA, DDR, Gay and Mills contracts will expire leaving a ton of capspace and we're more than likely going to use it to extend White and probably down the line for Lonnie and KJ depending on how they play this year. Poeltl re-signing is exactly for getting their nets worth on the Nephew trade. DDR for Nephew is the equivalent to netting Steve Smith for Derek Anderson back in 2001. Needing a "big name" in return. Although DDR is a much better player at this point than Smith was in 2001.

And I can tell you that Gay is on his way to retirement after this season. No team is going to overpay for a 35 year old with an achilles injury history. Aldridge also at age 36 next summer has seen his best days behind him. I would expect LMA to post up less and be more of a pick and pop player and stretch the floor on occasion. If he doesn't, then Pop will give more minutes to Poeltl who will shoot less and crash the boards and defend.

DDR while in a contract year, at age 31 will also have seen his best years behind him. I see DDR in the role he was in during the bubble as the point forward and getting all of the young guys involved in the first halves and picks his spots to take over games late in the 4th. That alone has value in free agency and he will still get his money if he can stay healthy and continue in that role next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an overpay by about 2 mil per. I like the player. Just be interesting what he will do going forward.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything about this off-season was predictable if you'd been paying attention to what the front office has been doing the past 4 years or so.

They have absolutely no long term plan and are just treading water not realizing they're sinking. Really probably the worst run team in the western conference.

The thought of watching LMA, DDR, Gay, and Patty play a ton of minutes just so that the Spurs can land the #14 pick rather than in the top 5 is nauseating.

It would not surprise me if DDR is wearing a Spurs uniform for years to come

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything about this off-season was predictable if you'd been paying attention to what the front office has been doing the past 4 years or so.

They have absolutely no long term plan and are just treading water not realizing they're sinking. Really probably the worst run team in the western conference.

This man is crazy emotional.....relax homie.

The thought of watching LMA, DDR, Gay, and Patty play a ton of minutes just so that the Spurs can land the #14 pick rather than in the top 5 is nauseating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Except they won't other than DDR.

Mills is like the 3rd point guard and if you had been paying attention in the bubble, he's more of a mentor than role player at this point and probably going to be groomed as an assistant coach in the future.

Again, Rudy Gay probably only going to play 15 minutes a game. Maybe even less this year as guys like KJ (and to an extent, Lonnie) emerge like they did in the summer.

Aldridge is 35 going on 36 and coming off shoulder surgery. Even he probably knows his best days are behind him and will likely play limited minutes. Think 2001 DRob or McDyess type of role.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Montrese Harrell is getting virtually the same money and he's much better.
    Those comments are the reason why Poeltl is so underrated. Montrez Harrel is a better Scorer yes, but also is more a forward than a center. Defensivly Poeltl is better than Harrell. But defense is not sexy, so people tend to overvalue offense and undervalue defense.

From the comments of TIM VP i gather, that the spurs wanted to hold Poeltl. If they didnt, they could have let him go sign somewhere else, interest was there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This deal isn’t bad. Especially if Poeltl improves while playing more minutes. The Spurs are trading Aldridge in my honest opinion. Not sure what kind of player they’re looking to bring back. Hopefully a mobile 4 who can stretch the floor. Adams makes about $25 million per and Dedmon makes about $13-$14 who are basically the same type as Poeltl. The only centers who I can think of making less than Poeltl and are the same type of player are Zubac, Theis, and Kanter. Meyers Leonard just signed for $10 million per year so I’m not too mad at this contract especially when they decide to move Aldridge.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    All in all this signing makes only sense if:

- this is a sign & Trade and Poeltl gets traded (is that even possible?)
    - LMA will be Traded
    - Poeltl got guarantees that he will play more minutes

If none of those 3 are true, i actually dont know what the Spurs FO is thinking. And why the Spurs havent made any trades until now is beyond me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly it seems like Poetl only signs if he's getting more minutes. That points seriously to an LMA trade. If this season had fans, I would almost understand them trying to run it back and make a playoff run with the team the way it was. But with half the season - at least - not having any real fans of note, I don't understand why they are trying to field a playoff team so I have to assume a trade sending LMA out is coming. That's the only way this makes sense to me. I was ok with fighting for the playoffs last year due to the streak, but now? Now they should be focused on rebuilding and developing young players. I just dont see what keeping LMA, DDR, and investing this much money on a role player like Poetl does for the team.

I'll say this, there should be a clause where Peoltl gives back 500k each game in which he refuses to go up strong and dunk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be no trades unless a starting PF comes back for Aldridge.

And there are no starting PFs that Aldridge is worth trading for.

I mention Aldridge here and not DeMar because people are trying to justify Poetl's contract by thinking he should be starting this season. Aldridge is the only one who would open up minutes for Poetl. The reason Aldridge would need to be traded strictly for a starting PF (trading for a backup PF makes no sense) is because our guard and wing positions are full.

Accept reality, people. It is done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, trading LMA for cap space makes no sense. We are already positioned to have cap space to sign one max player next offseason even if we give Derrick White his pay day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a slight overpay but might be a good contract down the stretch. Apparently Jakob was shooting 3s during his workouts. Not that I think he can shoot them but if he improves his offense it would be a good contract down the line. I’d rather lock him up for 3 years than to have him signed for 1 year for cheap and then having to renegotiate next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are they really gonna employ four centers in 2021 with LMA, Jak, Lyles, and Eubanks? I'd think LMA would be on the move, right?
    Lyles isn’t a center, and barely a PF. With his build and skill set, he’s really a combo forward that we’re slotting at the four spot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles isn’t a center, and barely a PF. With his build and skill set, he’s really a combo forward that we’re slotting at the four spot.
    Lyles strikes me as an ideal small ball center. I hope he sticks long term in order to fill that role.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles strikes me as ideal small ball center. I hope he sticks long term in order to fill that role.
    he really is the perfect micro ball Center which I hope we use in small doses. Would be really nice to move LMA for a big wing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is reading the tea leaves, but Poeltl, Lyles, and Eubanks is a good center rotation at a reasonable cost. Perhaps, Samanic eventually fills some of those minutes. One can imagine this is Buford/Wright's plan once Aldridge is moved or dropped.
    Last edited by Excessive Egotist; 11-21-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl is an all-star player... if only he had an offensive game!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please trade Murray. The experiment is over. Lonnie shouldn’t feel safe either. He has only shown flashes & that’s not enough at this point. Where are the compe ive DOGS on this roster? We have none.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can do this all before the trade deadline. Why so impatient its not like the spurs are even expected to make the playoffs. WTF?
    People want fast results.

Just like people are spoiled with Spotify today just to hear new music.

People had to download ONE song for thirty minutes using Kazaa, Napster, or Limewire back in the day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's 50% more than Jak is worth, just horrible

Thread Information