Post Count
    no long term deal with dak reached. congrats ST cowboys fans

for now

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

for now
    Pretty typical Jones stuff. ing up almost everything.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Last day to wait out and dodge an albatross deal!

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Pretty typical Jones stuff. ing up almost everything.
    Huh? This is exactly the right move.

Prescott hasn't shown to be better than a very average league QB. He's overachieved for a mid-round pick, but so did Cousins. And Cousins has a better, stronger arm than Prescott. The bottom line is, with a guy like Prescott or Alex Smith, he won't lose you the game like a Jameis Winston or Fitzpatrick or even Philip Rivers might, but he won't win under rough cir stances either (think last year's slew of road losses in must-win games).

You can win a Super Bowl with Prescott, but not on an albatross contract of over 13% of the salary cap, much less the >20% he is asking for. To win a Super Bowl with Prescott, you must have elite pieces around him, specifically at OL, WR, a fearsome running game, and an above-average defense. He's not a guy like Brady, Mahomes, prime Manning(s), etc. where you can win with lesser forces because the QB is truly that great. Even top tier QBs like Rodgers and Wilson haven't made it past the championship game since getting paid big money, because those teams have had to compromise around the rest of the roster.

We can keep Dalton long term at well under 10% of the cap, and also draft our QB of the future next year and release Dalton for minimal dead money hit any time we want. Seems like the smart solution. Not to mention, this is McCarthy's first year with the Cowboys and with Prescott, so Prescott still gets 1 year to prove himself as indispensable to the organization, similar to the chance Garrett had last year (and screwed the pooch on).

If Prescott keeps his starting job all of 2020 and goes on to make or win the Super Bowl, he will absolutely get his desired 40m/year contract instead of the tag next offseason. If it's another 8-8 or even 10-6 and divisional round exit... it's tag and trade time, baby. The loser of the Lawrence sweepstakes between Carolina/Jacksonville will be needing an experienced starter, since there really isn't elite QB depth in next year's class behind Lawrence.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Huh? This is exactly the right move.

Prescott hasn't shown to be better than a very average league QB. He's overachieved for a mid-round pick, but so did Cousins. And Cousins has a better, stronger arm than Prescott. The bottom line is, with a guy like Prescott or Alex Smith, he won't lose you the game like a Jameis Winston or Fitzpatrick or even Philip Rivers might, but he won't win under rough cir stances either (think last year's slew of road losses in must-win games).

You can win a Super Bowl with Prescott, but not on an albatross contract of over 13% of the salary cap, much less the >20% he is asking for. To win a Super Bowl with Prescott, you must have elite pieces around him, specifically at OL, WR, a fearsome running game, and an above-average defense. He's not a guy like Brady, Mahomes, prime Manning(s), etc. where you can win with lesser forces because the QB is truly that great. Even top tier QBs like Rodgers and Wilson haven't made it past the championship game since getting paid big money, because those teams have had to compromise around the rest of the roster.

We can keep Dalton long term at well under 10% of the cap, and also draft our QB of the future next year and release Dalton for minimal dead money hit any time we want. Seems like the smart solution. Not to mention, this is McCarthy's first year with the Cowboys and with Prescott, so Prescott still gets 1 year to prove himself as indispensable to the organization, similar to the chance Garrett had last year (and screwed the pooch on).

If Prescott keeps his starting job all of 2020 and goes on to make or win the Super Bowl, he will absolutely get his desired 40m/year contract instead of the tag next offseason. If it's another 8-8 or even 10-6 and divisional round exit... it's tag and trade time, baby. The loser of the Lawrence sweepstakes between Carolina/Jacksonville will be needing an experienced starter, since there really isn't elite QB depth in next year's class behind Lawrence.
    They have an aging O-line. They overpaid Zeke by tens of millions which will hamstring them for awhile. Same with Cooper although his contract is easier to get rid of.
    If they don't keep Dak around, they'll have to draft a rookie QB. But since they're compe ive, it's not going to be the top one or two college QBs. So if they're lucky, they draft someone good and it takes a couple of years for them to develop into a starting caliber QB. Meanwhile, Zeke is surely past his prime and the O-line will somehow need to be rebuilt.

Dak is capable of winning a SB with the right pieces around him. They have a lot of those pieces right now.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    They have an aging O-line. They overpaid Zeke by tens of millions which will hamstring them for awhile. Same with Cooper although his contract is easier to get rid of.
    If they don't keep Dak around, they'll have to draft a rookie QB. But since they're compe ive, it's not going to be the top one or two college QBs. So if they're lucky, they draft someone good and it takes a couple of years for them to develop into a starting caliber QB. Meanwhile, Zeke is surely past his prime and the O-line will somehow need to be rebuilt.

Dak is capable of winning a SB with the right pieces around him. They have a lot of those pieces right now
    And, he will have his chance to prove it. This year. If he doesn't, it's tag and trade Prescott time, and we'll likely have a mid first rounder or better if we don't make the playoffs; use that ammo to go up and get your guy. If you can't, then draft a superstar at, say, LT, Edge or CB, take your chances with Dalton, and plan to draft QB of the future the next year.

As for the Zeke deal... if he goes the route of Gurley, they can get out of it the same way the Rams did. Sure, it'll eat up a substantial dead hit the first year, but it won't be a severe long term problem.

Cooper is part of the main core strength of the offense... don't want to lose him, also want to get Gallup extended long term, especially if he'll sign in the 10-15m range.

As for the O-Line... Martin and Collins are elite and just fine for the long haul, and barring injury, O-Linemen have a longer, later prime than most other contact positions. For example, the Eagles have had virtually the same O-Line for a very long time and they've been fine. Rookie Biadasz was way under-drafted and arguably the best college center in college football by PFF metrics, and went to the same school as Frederick... Frederick being an alumni, will coach him up. We don't have a stud at LG at the moment but plenty of pieces there and LG is usually the most expendable piece of the O-Line. But Tyron Smith's back is the main question mark. Unless they plan on moving Collins back to his college LT spot (I don't think it's the right move, since elite edge rushers are increasingly preferring to rush from the left defensive edge spot, which pits him against the RT and not the LT) we'll have to draft another stud LT pretty soon too in the next couple years.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    And, he will have his chance to prove it. This year. If he doesn't, it's tag and trade Prescott time, and we'll likely have a mid first rounder or better if we don't make the playoffs; use that ammo to go up and get your guy. If you can't, then draft a superstar at, say, LT, Edge or CB, take your chances with Dalton, and plan to draft QB of the future the next year.

As for the Zeke deal... if he goes the route of Gurley, they can get out of it the same way the Rams did. Sure, it'll eat up a substantial dead hit the first year, but it won't be a severe long term problem.

Cooper is part of the main core strength of the offense... don't want to lose him, also want to get Gallup extended long term, especially if he'll sign in the 10-15m range.

As for the O-Line... Martin and Collins are elite and just fine for the long haul, and barring injury, O-Linemen have a longer, later prime than most other contact positions. For example, the Eagles have had virtually the same O-Line for a very long time and they've been fine. Rookie Biadasz was way under-drafted and arguably the best college center in college football by PFF metrics, and went to the same school as Frederick... Frederick being an alumni, will coach him up. We don't have a stud at LG at the moment but plenty of pieces there and LG is usually the most expendable piece of the O-Line. But Tyron Smith's back is the main question mark. Unless they plan on moving Collins back to his college LT spot (I don't think it's the right move, since elite edge rushers are increasingly preferring to rush from the left defensive edge spot, which pits him against the RT and not the LT) we'll have to draft another stud LT pretty soon too in the next couple years.
    I was thinking about this the other night. Me and your mom were watching Taken 2. I ended up getting a little wasted and stooled on the coffee table. She ended up doing Hungry Hungry Hippos all over that. When she was done, she wanted to spoon. I was so freaked out after watching her eat my poop that I just went home.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I was thinking about this the other night. Me and your mom were watching Taken 2. I ended up getting a little wasted and stooled on the coffee table. She ended up doing Hungry Hungry Hippos all over that. When she was done, she wanted to spoon. I was so freaked out after watching her eat my poop that I just went home.
    Just like an 8th-grader. *Stoops to yo-momma jokes* is code for "I lose, and I give up"., tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Just like an 8th-grader. *Stoops to yo-momma jokes* is code for "I lose, and I give up"., tbh.
    Your takes are so bad that it's pretty impossible to address everything.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Your takes are so bad that it's pretty impossible to address everything.
    Middle School Mentality
    "I'm losing by 30, so I'm going to change the subject instead of taking the L like a man"

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Middle School Mentality
    "I'm losing by 30, so I'm going to change the subject instead of taking the L like a man"
    LMAO. ...your playbook is to just never acknowledge you're wrong and ignore any posts that factually refute your dumb takes.
    You are the exact opposite of someone who takes Ls like a man.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Middle School Mentality
    Also...what's with your mom's labia?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    ans just paid derrick henry... guess they didnt learn from gurley/zeke deals

Yeah Zeke deal was dumb RB are the easiest position to fill in the NFL and RB do not age well in the NFL. As far as DAK I like the guy but don’t love the guy and I kinda agree if your paying him MAX type of QB money your other positions will me mostly one year type of guys so no dominant defense for sure. If you look at our defense we got a whole lot of one year contracts which I think the guys they brought in are good but very hard to do this year in and year out.

This season is going to be really hard to judge with the Virus having major impacts on training camp and possibly the amount of games played. You could have a team suddenly have 2 to 6 starters out for two weeks because of testing positive for it. This is the year that what ever team is able to keep the injury bug and the Corona bug away from there team has a good chance to win it all.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ans just paid derrick henry... guess they didnt learn from gurley/zeke deals
    Henry at 4y/50m didn't reset the market though, that's 12.5m which is significantly less than the 15m that gurley and zeke got.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

for now
    Average QB doesn't get paid elite QB money.

Find a 2nd round talent at QB in the 4th round? That's great, doesn't mean you have to pay him like a #1 overall pick when his rookie contract ends.

Jerry playing Chess, the rest of the league playing monopoly

Depending on what happens with Jacksonville / Carolina (only truly QB needy teams at the moment), Cam Newton and the Patriots, Drew Lock and the Broncos, etc., Prescott could be looking at a big contract from a bottom feeder next year...... Or he may never get his "generational" money, and end up having to settle on a Winston/2020 Newton contract,

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    he will be a new york jet before the end of 2021

If he stays a Cowboy after this season it’s because he agreed to new contract because the Boys can not franchise him again because the CAP will probably be going down because of Corona.

I think Henry was smart to take that contract just as Dak should have taken his because the virus ain’t going away and it’s going to have a huge impact on the NFL bottom line.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    If he stays a Cowboy after this season it’s because he agreed to new contract because the Boys can not franchise him again because the CAP will probably be going down because of Corona.

I think Henry was smart to take that contract just as Dak should have taken his because the virus ain’t going away and it’s going to have a huge impact on the NFL bottom line.
    Henry made the right decision. Over 300 carries last season. He's either a freak of nature and can do that a couple more seasons or he's going to break down pretty quick. Either way, he just guaranteed himself over $25 million. No reason to get cute and worry about "respect".

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Henry made the right decision. Over 300 carries last season. He's either a freak of nature and can do that a couple more seasons or he's going to break down pretty quick. Either way, he just guaranteed himself over $25 million. No reason to get cute and worry about "respect".
    Agreed, &

he will be a new york jet before the end of 2021
    Darnold > Prescott. Forever & always.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Wack Prescott is a moron if he thinks he's worth anything more than 20-25 million per annum, especially in this market with the lowered salary cap

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Sources are saying 39.5 million long term AAV. I would think much lower, especially given the injury. Mark Celibate thoughts?

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Wack Prescott is a moron if he thinks he's worth anything more than 20-25 million per annum, especially in this market with the lowered salary cap
    Phillip Rivers made 25 million this year in the Twilight of his career. Your out of your god damn mind if you don’t think Dak is worth more than an old ass Rivers. Especially with the way he played early this year

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    4,5 millions sound about right

Thread Information