Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone that think those guards from the 80's and 90's would give Luka or pretty much any great guard in this era problems is a ing re .

just as everyone's a re who compares Luka to Bird. Comparing them just cause they're white. Idiots. Sooner this morons realize Doncic is not playing like anyone so far, the better.
    Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 03-11-2021 at 05:36 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone that think those guards from the 80's and 90's would give Luka or pretty much any great guard in this era problems is a ing re .
    Plenty of 80's players who could shoot like Donkey. He would've been like anyone else getting bodied up and worn out on the block and getting hand checked to limit his ability to volume shoot the threes.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plenty of 80's players who could shoot like Donkey. He would've been like anyone else getting bodied up and worn out on the block and getting hand checked to limit his ability to volume shoot the threes.
    tell me an 80's player that made over 400 3's in his first 2.5 seasons. Oh and most of those were tough shots, cause give Luka wide open 3's and he'd also shoot 45% or more. And I watched Luka play 3 years before he came to the NBA and he had no problem being bodied, cause they actually play defense in Euroleague before the start of the playoffs. Thats why he even said it's easier to score in the NBA. There is only one guard that ever gave Doncic problems and thats Ben Simmons. Id love to see those midget guards from the 80's give him problems. Every single sport and athlete is evolving, but somehow the 80's NBA players would dominate now. Yea sure. Most of them played hard and had to be physical cause they pretty much sucked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at the overrated muh physicality and muh hand checking
    Wht a crock of BS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tell me an 80's player that made over 400 3's in his first 2.5 seasons. Oh and most of those were tough shots, cause give Luka wide open 3's and he'd also shoot 45% or more. And I watched Luka play 3 years before he came to the NBA and he had no problem being bodied, cause they actually play defense in Euroleague before the start of the playoffs. Thats why he even said it's easier to score in the NBA. There is only one guard that ever gave Doncic problems and thats Ben Simmons. Id love to see those midget guards from the 80's give him problems. Every single sport and athlete is evolving, but somehow the 80's NBA players would dominate now. Yea sure. Most of them played hard and had to be physical cause they pretty much sucked.
    Exactly, nobody os saying 60s NBA is better than 80s NBA, but somehow 80s NBA is better than today
    det goal post move

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I dont compare Bird and Luka because they are both white. Its the vision, smarts fearlessness and the ability ti get to his spots despite not being faster or more explosive than his defenders. Luka is a better athlete, a better vall handler than Larry was. BIRD was a better pure shooter and rebounder tough as nails and didn't flop.
    Stylistically in Luka, you see shades of Harden, Pierce Manu and even past his peak Lebron. BUT agree no one player fits but to dismiss any connection to Bird is silly but only using Bird is lazy too. However both were MVP caliber at a very young age that is also similar...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    For me, Luka not having a problem scoring in the 80s is about his vast skill set to diversify his offense. One of the things that really separates Luka from most great scorers is his ability to do pretty much everything well on offense. Bigger guy on him, he can attack with the dribble and finish at the rim or hit the jumper if the defender plays off of him. Smaller guys, we’ve seen him back them down into the post. Quick defender that’s his size, he has an in between game of floaters, midrange, and fade-aways, as well as the moves, touch, and dexterity to use the glass, reverses, pump fakes, and both hands to finish. Double teams, he’s a very good passer.

Heck, guys like Harden and LeBron don’t even do all those things well. Harden doesn’t have much of a midrange game, and both Harden and LeBron have rarely used a post game over the years. Maybe they can do it, but not nearly as well. Luka has an offensive toolkit as vast and as great as we’ve seen in a while. And he uses them all. And I’ve seen Luka get beat up, hit in the face, fouled hard. Probably fouled hard as much as any other player in recent memory. Has not stopped him from getting up and going right back at the defense. I think he would have zero issues with scoring in the 80s.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Facts, Jam. I really enjoy watching him play because he makes it look easy plus he is unselfish. I do think he has a bit of Harden's over dribbling and Bron control issues to his game but he is just so much better than his team he is still learning to balance his dominance offensively...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont compare Bird and Luka because they are both white. Its the vision, smarts fearlessness and the ability ti get to his spots despite not being faster or more explosive than his defenders. Luka is a better athlete, a better vall handler than Larry was. BIRD was a better pure shooter and rebounder tough as nails and didn't flop.
    Stylistically in Luka, you see shades of Harden, Pierce Manu and even past his peak Lebron. BUT agree no one player fits but to dismiss any connection to Bird is silly but only using Bird is lazy too. However both were MVP caliber at a very young age that is also similar...
    Tbh comparing them is stupid
    2 different profiles

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LeBron and magic have two different profiles yet i can see some traces of Magic in James. I never said they had exact profiles in fact, I said Luka was hybrid of a bunch of people...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tell me an 80's player that made over 400 3's in his first 2.5 seasons.
    Game is played different. I think the threes leader the first or second year the 3 was ins uted had like 34 threes.

But frankly, pre-severed finger Bird was/is top five bomb shooter of all-time. He eventually got his touch back after four seasons; but his ability to aim ultra consistently would never be the same.

Donkey is a chucker. Dude doesn't even shoot 40 3FG for all the hype.

I give him credit based on today's weak-ass NBA standards; but he's basically a glorified Scot Wedman or Kiki Vandeweghe.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Than in peak fitness Bird? No.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, Luka not having a problem scoring in the 80s is about his vast skill set to diversify his offense. One of the things that really separates Luka from most great scorers is his ability to do pretty much everything well on offense. Bigger guy on him, he can attack with the dribble and finish at the rim or hit the jumper if the defender plays off of him. Smaller guys, we’ve seen him back them down into the post. Quick defender that’s his size, he has an in between game of floaters, midrange, and fade-aways, as well as the moves, touch, and dexterity to use the glass, reverses, pump fakes, and both hands to finish. Double teams, he’s a very good passer.

Heck, guys like Harden and LeBron don’t even do all those things well. Harden doesn’t have much of a midrange game, and both Harden and LeBron have rarely used a post game over the years. Maybe they can do it, but not nearly as well. Luka has an offensive toolkit as vast and as great as we’ve seen in a while. And he uses them all. And I’ve seen Luka get beat up, hit in the face, fouled hard. Probably fouled hard as much as any other player in recent memory. Has not stopped him from getting up and going right back at the defense. I think he would have zero issues with scoring in the 80s.
    Sure. He could've averaged 14 as the second man off the bench like Scottie Wedman. Maybe he has a few career 20 ppg seasons even. But this BS of just dribbling where you want tra la la la was not happening back then. I know someone gonna post some clips about some weak ass defense that says otherwise. But it wasn't a consistent theme like in today's NBA.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Than in peak fitness Bird? No.
    Stop it. Bird was a sneaky good athlete for his. Era but Luka. Can run faster, jump higher and has better handles....
    This no knock its a compliment Bird did all of of what Luka does minus the balll handling ...with less natural ability than Luka ...
    And I doubt you saw bird in his prime unless you late 30s early 40s

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    derp gonna derp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop it. Bird was a sneaky good athlete for his. Era but Luka. Can run faster, jump higher and has better handles....
    This no knock its a compliment Bird did all of of what Luka does minus the balll handling ...with less natural ability than Luka ...
    Luka is a better ball handler but Bird is a superior passer

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Luka is a better ball handler but Bird is a superior passer

True, Bird the Point Forward

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LeBron and magic have two different profiles yet i can see some traces of Magic in James. I never said they had exact profiles in fact, I said Luka was hybrid of a bunch of people...
    He grew up a Magic fan and seems to have patterned his game after him. He will dish off to bench players with a playoff game on the line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, Bird the Point Forward
    I SEE YOU

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He grew up a Magic fan and seems to have patterned his game after him. He will dish off to bench players with a playoff game on the line

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donkey's a fat chub that plays well below the rim, dude. People even make threads based on that. Peak Bird was lean and could leap; and that was late 70's and early 80's. He then got lean again in the late 80's for a brief time before the injuries hit; and he was frankly more athletic at that point too, even.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Donkey's a fat chub that plays well below the rim, dude. People even make threads based on that. Peak Bird was lean and could leap; and that was late 70's and early 80's. He then got lean again in the late 80's for a brief time before the injuries hit; and he was frankly more athletic at that point too, even.
    Bird only seemed to leap when he was grabbing boards and he was a phenomenal rebounder. Luka is not an elite athlete and neither was Bird and to me that is part of both their charm. They still give you that work when they can't out run, out jump you but they beat you with a high level of skill, smarts and an innate feel for the game. The way Luka and Bird can get to their spots whenver they want is better in many ways than bring fast or quick.

But if I was choosing a player of the two...to dunk, run a race play soccer or hit a baseball. I'm choosing LUKA. That is why I said he was better athlete I think he can jump better but I may be wrong but I still think Luka is more athletic overall. bird was an amazing passer and point forward Luka is like Bird mixed with some magic playing PG basically.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information