San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The
    Exstatic
    Sports
    Prognosticator
    Network
    sez...

No VC, no 'Sheed. Look for a small one for one or two for one trade to bring in a serviceable big for the playoff run. Joe Smith is likely because he doesn't cost much, OKC ain't goin' nowhere, and Presti is a friend. Everyone else (BOS,CLE) seems to want him for their run, but they are hoping to catch him in a buyout.

Think, people. The Spurs have NEVER made a huge roster-busting in season deal in the Popovich era. Why should they start now when they are holding second place in the WC?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO If WE WANT TO WIN WE HAVE TO TRADE THE WHOLE TEAM FOR ONE PLAYER!!!!

DUMBASSS
    VVVVVVVV

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're still damaged goods.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're still damaged goods.
    Sez you, Crown-clown.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    joe smith is not a bad option

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole rumor started with Chris Duels radio show. It seems illogical but not impossible.

We are basing most of our hope on what they said on the radio show.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be onboard with Joe Smith...

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

No VC, no 'Sheed. Look for a small one for one or two for one trade to bring in a serviceable big for the playoff run. Joe Smith is likely because he doesn't cost much, OKC ain't goin' nowhere, and Presti is a friend. Everyone else (BOS,CLE) seems to want him for their run, but they are hoping to catch him in a buyout.

Think, people. The Spurs have NEVER made a huge roster-busting in season deal in the Popovich era. Why should they start now when they are holding second place in the WC?
    that's just why the spurs should do some trade to re-gain the first place that is being occupied by a team which is led by a turd-eater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From TD ...

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," he said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

Timmy agrees to no VC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Joe Smith have anything even left in him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be ecstatic if the Spurs got two decent role players, especially if their combined heights measured somewhere around 13'6".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You are funny!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing wrong with shooting for the Moon. But, for once, i'd like to actually attain the Moon. If we land in the stars again, then so be it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Smith averages 6.6 pts & 4.5 rebs in 19 minutes a game, which is exactly what I was hoping for from Mahinmi in pre-season estimates... he could be traded for Bowen + a second round draft pick or two in the same scenario as K Thomas last year, where Bowen immediately gets cut and returns to the Spurs a month later, though the NBA front offices might not like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Smith averages 6.6 pts & 4.5 rebs in 19 minutes a game, which is exactly what I was hoping for from Mahinmi in pre-season estimates... he could be traded for Bowen + a second round draft pick or two in the same scenario as K Thomas last year, where Bowen immediately gets cut and returns to the Spurs a month later, though the NBA front offices might not like that.
    They sure liked the Gasol trade though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sure liked the Gasol trade though.
    In retrospect, the Pau trade wasn't as bad as it originally looked. Memphis got Marc Gasol and he looks pretty damn good, and will still be getting a 1st rnd pick for Crittenton, and now have the lowest payroll in the NBA. Their chance to compete in the coming years is actually better than it was.
    Last edited by Tully365; 02-15-2009 at 01:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From TD ...

"No offense to Vince, obviously he's an excellent player," he said. "We'd love to have him. But to give up most of our team to add one guy, I don't think that's the way you want to go. It's a long season and we have a lot of guys who have been here a long time and understand the way we want to play. Just to insert one new piece and try to teach him in half a season the way we want to play isn't the way that we work."

Timmy agrees to no VC.
    Where is that quote from? Link?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think the whole Spurs interest in VC is just them working with the Nets to get them a good deal from one of our "rivals". We already heard about the Mavs interest, throwing in Josh Howard to make it work. Now the word is Houston wants to get in on this?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=517424

They are offering Ron Artest as the key piece. Word is that Ron and TMac aren't getting along and Ron calls him out, etc. I'm with Ron on that one.

But if they want to part with him and I think he's expiring, right? Well...

If that goes down, the Nets have no use for Ron. Cut him to give him a chance to look for a contender for the remainder of the year. A contender that he could get playing time with, that needs a physical defender and rebounder from the SF position, that happens to play in the same state as the team he might want to give a big F***-You to.

And it costs us? Nothing. I like it. Pipe dream, but hey, a lot of these ideas with Sheed and VC are not much more than that as far as I'm concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From TD ...

Timmy agrees to no VC.
    does it mean the end of any big trade ??

not that i worry about it, but i guess Tim knows what the FO has in mind and he seems to say that no big trade will happen, not only the VC one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The
    Exstatic
    Sports
    Prognosticator
    Network
    sez...

From TD ...

Timmy agrees to no VC.
    OMG, people making sense!?!?

Joe Smith is pretty much the best we can hope for. He's still got gas in the tank, decent rebounder, good 15ft jumper, blocks a few shots - he could be our PJ Brown.

However, I'm not for sending Bruce away because you can bet the other team would want to keep him away from us... unless its OKC, maybe. Just seems like a risky thing to do with our 'cooler'. If we did send Bruce and he got cut and came back, given that we've already done this recently with the same team, is there anything the rest of the league could do to sanction us? Just seems like blatant old boys' network collusion that the league might not look kindly on.

Very Tempting Offer
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing wrong with shooting for the Moon. But, for once, i'd like to actually attain the Moon. If we land in the stars again, then so be it.
    I`d like Jamario Moon too. Good defender, plays hard. He`d fit right in except for that whole just traded to Miami thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excessive
    Sucking
    Pandering &
    Nuthugging

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some here don't like Joe Smith, but he's an experienced player that could quite possibly provide what the Spurs need. A player that can rebound, block an occasional shot, score around the basket and basically provide a frontline support against teams like Fakers, Blazers and Nuggets. Even if he's only an average big at this point in his career, that may be enough to suit what the Spurs need for the playoffs. A contributing, role-playing, big.

Besides that, he's a low-cost, inexpensive option, whose contract comes off the books this offseason. Heck, he would tide the Spurs over until they can make a run at Sheed this offseason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have always liked joe smith. and i think he could bring something to this team. im just not sure hes all that much better than the options we have now. hes almost exactly what KT was last year. last year, KT was averaging about 8 & 9 in about 25 minutes. joe is averaging about 7 & 5 in 19 minutes. both have nice 15 ft jumpera. both are on the tail end of their careers (KT was 35, joe is 33). and both were on expiring contracts.

plus i dont think we have much to offer. and what we do have of value, im not sure id want to lose for joe smith (splitter, 2011 1st, ect).

Thread Information