Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring a trade vassel will be glued to Austin playing behind -derozan,mills,lonnie,kj,dejounte and white etc
    Vassell could be our best 3 and D and now. I seriously hope he sees some playing time. That means no more Forbes, Beli. Mills will be traded.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a second round pick in the 40s considering the most wished for second rounders were off the table except broken Tillie ...

The Frontcourt is not set at all

LMA - soon to be free agent
    Poeltl - soon to be RFA
    Eubanks - 2-way nobody
    Lyles - replacement level charity case. Without Morris pulling a Kawhi, Lyles and Klutch don't even get the sympathy 5 million
    Gay - decaying soon to be free agent
    Samanic - hasn't proven he can shoot, defend or pass at even the G-League level. Only excels at turning the ball over more than anyone else.

The Frontcourt is in shambles in the big picture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell could be our best 3 and D and now. I seriously hope he sees some playing time. That means no more Forbes, Beli. Mills will be traded.
    I think he could be in the rotation very early on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a second round pick in the 40s considering the most wished for second rounders were off the table except broken Tillie ...

Poeltl - soon to be RFA
    Eubanks - 2-way nobody
    Lyles - replacement level charity case. Without Morris pulling a Kawhi, Lyles and Klutch don't even get the sympathy 5 million
    Samanic - hasn't proven he can shoot, defend or pass at even the G-League level. Only excels at turning the ball over more than anyone else.

Dont forget $metu and zeller

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of Corey Jospeh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray, Mills,
    White, Walker,
    DeRozan, Johnson, Vassell
    Lyles, Gay, Samanic
    Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks (QO)

TW: Weatherspoon (QO)

That's the roster. The front court is actually full, and the guards are lacking.
    You forgot Metu

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't consider full to necessarily mean set. No point in drafting one of those positions if they aren't going to be upgrades.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was Tre Jones not a Top 15 pick?? He looks like the real deal on film. ACC player of the year from Duke. Holy . Guess who the recent player of the years from ACC are.. Zion, Marvin Bagley, Justin Jackson...

PATFO nailed this one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Poeltl - soon to be RFA
    Eubanks - 2-way nobody

I mean, if they don't want to keep Poe, that's different. Then taking a center at 11 might've been the play. But yes, their front court was set. They basically didn't have an open spot besides replacing Eubanks. While I think that part of the pipeline is empty, I also think the Spurs aren't in a position where that matters. If Vassell and Jones are the best players available, then they should get priority, especially since the team needs bodies there this year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All these people complaining about PATFO, we get it. Their management has sucked the past few years. Pop has been sinking the ship. Should’ve retired with Timmy. Beating a dead horse.

But with this draft class, looks like we got Klay Thompson lite and a legit poised defensive minded point guard who can shoot. This was a solid night all things considered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have no real starting PF or SF, but OK.
    I mean, I guess the Spurs could pick a guy at 41 who'd start at PF or SF...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a stretch but ok.
    That's literally the roster besides Metu and Zeller, who don't do anything but underscore that the front court is full.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I guess the Spurs could pick a guy at 41 who'd start at PF or SF...
    You never know, Jokic wasn't selected at 41?

Anyways, the Spurs aren't "full" on the frontcourt, don't be lying like that son, nobody buys it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, if they don't want to keep Poe, that's different. Then taking a center at 11 might've been the play. But yes, their front court was set. They basically didn't have an open spot besides replacing Eubanks. While I think that part of the pipeline is empty, I also think the Spurs aren't in a position where that matters. If Vassell and Jones are the best players available, then they should get priority, especially since the team needs bodies there this year.
    That's literally the roster besides Metu and Zeller, who don't do anything but underscore that the front court is full.
    Except the frontcourt isn't "full"

They could buy Lyles out for 1 million. He's mediocre and the bubble proved him a non-factor. Just a charity case.

Samanic isn't a good player. There's nothing he does better than Lyles and Lyles can be gone easy.

Poeltl could be pryed away

Gay is on his way to breaking down and getting a buyout

Sure, the 41st pick doesn't really flip any of that on it's head

And at 11, while I like Poku, without Jalen Smith on the board it's hard to fault them going for a wing. Precious is small and raw at 21 years old, Stewart can't jump, Nnaji ... ehhh ...

Without aggresively trading up, the balls just didn't bounce their way to improve the frontcourt.

I loved Patrick Williams. He was long gone. Okongwu and Avdija, gone. Some people even liked Toppin for some reason, gone.

But not drafting big had less to do with the Fading/Expiring/Replacement bigs/sfs on the team and more to do with the players not being there on the board, that's all. None of these 1 year players were going to stop the Spurs from drafting big anymore than the multi-year presence of Keldon and Lonnie affected picking Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never know, Jokic wasn't selected at 41?

Anyways, the Spurs aren't "full" on the frontcourt, don't be lying like that son, nobody buys it.
    The team literally has nine guys either signed to or going to be offered contracts. That's literally full. I seriously do not have a spot in the front-court rotation. That doesn't mean that if the Spurs had drafted a center that that center could not have found a roster spot. But that player would've almost certainly been in Austin. Same if not more so with a PF. This is just true, no matter how much people want to cry about it. Toppin probably would've started. Okongwu and Smith might've been in the rotation if they could do anything PF. Anyone else would've been in the d-league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team literally has nine guys either signed to or going to be offered contracts. That's literally full. I seriously do not have a spot in the front-court rotation. That doesn't mean that if the Spurs had drafted a center that that center could not have found a roster spot. But that player would've almost certainly been in Austin. Same if not more so with a PF. This is just true, no matter how much people want to cry about it. Toppin probably would've started. Okongwu and Smith might've been in the rotation if they could do anything PF. Anyone else would've been in the d-league.
    Unlike Jones who is projected to be in the rotation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except the frontcourt isn't "full"
    I'm leaving out the draft stuff since it's not really what we're disagreeing about.

I never said no space could be made for a front-court player. I said the roster was full. It's full even if it can be emptied. The team literally didn't have a third PG on the depth chart. , they were relying on Mills being the PG of the second unit. Jones should get play pretty comfortably this season. After this season, yeah. the front court may well be Sam, Poe and nothing else. It won't be full then. It is full now.

I want just chalk it up to semantics, but it's not. People complaining about guards are those who believe Vassell, DeRozan and Johnson are guards and refuse to believe Pop is going to play them at the three. But he's obviously going to. It's not a product of not having bigger bodies, as the Carroll disaster proved. The team is going to run DeRozan at the three, and so long as Murray is on the team, he's going to start. White should start as well. That means the Spurs need PG depth. I had been penciling in a vet PG for a while now. Turns out they found a really good one in the second round. So they filled that need and got BPA. That's cool. They should not have prioritized a fourth SF/PF or a guy who at best competes with Eubanks for a spot/grabs a two-way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike Jones who is projected to be in the rotation?
    Right now, the Spurs have four guaranteed back-court players and Weatherspoon on a two-way QO. I don't think Jones will be in the rotation. But he's literally one injury away. That's not even true for Samanic, let alone a random second-round PF behind him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are rumors of Mills being shopped and possibly Murray will be packaged with LMA or Demar. Q is left as the only back-up PG. Spurs need this kid as insurance while he hones his skills in Austin.
    there are literally 0 rumors about your proposed trade scenario out there

On another note: WTF has Chinook been drinking tonight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, the Spurs have four guaranteed back-court players and Weatherspoon on a two-way QO. I don't think Jones will be in the rotation. But he's literally one injury away. That's not even true for Samanic, let alone a random second-round PF behind him.
    So, if Lyles or Gay get injured (very likely with both) who gets into the PF rotation? DeRozan? Even more reason to have another PF.

Samanic has only Lyes and Gay in front of him. Jones will have Murray, White, Mills and Weatherspoon (not to mention Pop might even prefer to play DeRozan, Walker or even Forbes at PG). I really wonder what kind of logic you use sometimes, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team literally didn't have a third PG on the depth chart. , they were relying on Mills being the PG of the second unit.
    Yeah, they were relying on Mills because they gave him a 4/50 contract to play back up point guard. Semantics this and that, signed to play next to Manu or whatever excuse people had at the time ...

But they paid Mills as the back up point guard.

If Murray isn't at point guard, it will be White. If neither is there, it might be DeRozan as principle playmaker with Lonnie/Keldon/Vassell running with him. If not him, then Mills, who's paid pretty well for the job, and who I wouldn't be surprised is kept for several more years due to his 'leadership'.

I guess we'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cory Joseph for sure. With White starting we need a real playmaker on the bench. Higher chance to stick in the league than most second rounders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a single starting caliber PF and a bunch of SGs having to play SFs. So no, the fullcourt wasn't really full. It's an insult to everyone's intelligence that you are trying to make it seem like that is the case.
    What starting calibre SF/PF do you get at #41?

Also... depending on match-ups, it makes sense to run derozan/Keldon @ PF for long stints as the bubble proved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What starting calibre SF/PF do you get at #41?
    That doesn't matter. I was disproving the idea that the Spurs frontcourt was "full".

Thread Information