Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI, for what it’s worth shams’ capulator tool has the deal at $13,750,000 for each of the three years, all guaranteed.
    Spotrac has that too so it's safe to say that's accurate. Given $42 million was reported, that's at least a pretty good outcome. $41.25M flat with no raises? That helps his trade value after this season.

Don't love the McDermott signing but that makes it a tiny bit more palatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spotrac has that too so it's safe to say that's accurate. Given $42 million was reported, that's at least a pretty good outcome. $41.25M flat with no raises? That helps his trade value after this season.

Don't love the McDermott signing but that makes it a tiny bit more palatable.
    I just don’t see how he was worth 3 full years at that price. He’s a MLE player for 3 years imo. 2 years at 14m is more than MLE for 3 years so don’t get how he isn’t a team option year 3

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see how he was worth 3 full years at that price. He’s a MLE player for 3 years imo. 2 years at 14m is more than MLE for 3 years so don’t get how he isn’t a team option year 3

I don't think the price is unfair, there is not a big gap between the MLE and his 13.75 millions. It's more paying him three years that could be too much for the future flexibility but imo that's his value.

I prefer his contract to the Duncan Robinson one, if we talk about the same kind of player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think describing him as an MLE player is fair. Teams likely wanted him for the MLE, but his fellow shooters have been getting paid recently. McD is getting paid less than Robinson and Bertans, and he outplayed both guys last year. I don't know that teams who could would've signed him for that much, but I do think there are teams who will give an asset to turn bad money into his contract, maybe enough an expiring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott has underachieved thus far. He has nice upside.

Once Pop says "Run the picket fence," he'll light up like a Christmas tree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think describing him as an MLE player is fair. Teams likely wanted him for the MLE, but his fellow shooters have been getting paid recently. McD is getting paid less than Robinson and Bertans, and he outplayed both guys last year. I don't know that teams who could would've signed him for that much, but I do think there are teams who will give an asset to turn bad money into his contract, maybe enough an expiring.
    To be a little more clear; I’m more saying for SA in their situation he’s definitely no more than a MLE player. I do think on the open market he’s closer to mle too than 14M but Sa should have had a more firm ceiling for players like him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be a little more clear; I’m more saying for SA in their situation he’s definitely no more than a MLE player. I do think on the open market he’s closer to mle too than 14M but Sa should have had a more firm ceiling for players like him.
    They can afford to pay for the guys they want. I certainly get being skeptical of him. But I don't a lot of good shooters with size that went for less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can afford to pay for the guys they want. I certainly get being skeptical of him. But I don't a lot of good shooters with size that went for less.
    Size is fine but he sucks on defense and while I understand wanting shooting to help youth he’s 29 and doesn’t make sense imo especially for 3 years unless he was a steal and he wasn’t. Just my 2c

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size is fine but he sucks on defense and while I understand wanting shooting to help youth he’s 29 and doesn’t make sense imo especially for 3 years unless he was a steal and he wasn’t. Just my 2c
    If he were a slasher, then his age would bother me. This is basically his prime, though. The bigger he is, the easier it'll be to hide him on defense. If the Spurs suck in that regard next year, it's going to be because Johnson still sucks on that end. Unlike Doug, Keldon doesn't do enough on offense to justify being a bad defender, and he can't remain in the SL is he doesn't figure that out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott is a good signing. By the career stats, he’s a better shooter than Patty, for both 2s and 3s. Shooters are expensive now.

People worry about his defense, but look at some players the Spurs are replacing. DDR, Lyles, Patty. Is he going to make the defense worse? Doubt it. Everything is relative. Further, players who shoot that well, and also defend well, are in extremely high demand, and extremely expensive.

McDermott isn’t the superstar the Spurs need. Yeah, okay. So what?

For how the McDermott S&T happened, my latest and greatest theory. Go back to when the Spurs were shopping for a shooter, with McD on their list. He was UFA so the Spurs were just looking at a simple signing, at first.

The Spurs were also thinking about how they’ll pare down to the final roster. It’s inevitable they’ll need to move somebody out, somehow. But they won’t be able to take another player at that time. No final roster decisions have been made yet, of course.

The Spurs contacted the Pacers to check on McD’s character. Good teammate, good citizen, and all that. We know the Spurs check character.

During the conversation, the Spurs also mentioned about paring down to their final roster. They asked if the Pacers would be interested in players the Spurs might cut.

The Pacers replied, yes, they’d be interested in player X if he gets cut. But there’s a problem. What about cap space to take player X when they can’t send a player to the Spurs?

But it’s noted that if the Spurs’ signing of McDermott as a UFA is changed to an S&T between the Spurs and Pacers, the Pacers can gain a $7.3 M trade exception. There’s the ability for the Pacers to take player X, when - and if - the Spurs make a final decision to move him out.

So they do it that way. They contact McDermott and he’s fine with it.

Thus, that Pacers’ TE that the Spurs helped the Pacers create, even tho the Spurs didn’t have to help the Pacers do that, provides a prearranged landing spot for a Spurs player X, when and if he doesn’t make the final Spurs roster. (And if nothing else develops in the meantime.)

So, under this theory, who is that Spurs player X? Impossible to say.

It’s iffy he’ll be on the final roster, but the way this offseason is going, it’s hard to tell what the Spurs are looking at.

The Pacers are interested in him. But for some reason unknown.

His contract price is under 7.3 M. But that’s most of the Spurs roster.

The Spurs care enough about him they don’t want to just leave him on his own, for finding another situation. But the Spurs are nice guys.

There could even be more than one possibility. So, hm.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott is a good signing. By the career stats, he’s a better shooter than Patty, for both 2s and 3s. Shooters are expensive now.

People worry about his defense, but look at some players the Spurs are replacing. DDR, Lyles, Patty. Is he going to make the defense worse? Doubt it. Everything is relative. Further, players who shoot that well, and also defend well, are in extremely high demand, and extremely expensive.

McDermott isn’t the superstar the Spurs need. Yeah, okay. So what?

For how the McDermott S&T happened, my latest and greatest theory. Go back to when the Spurs were shopping for a shooter, with McD on their list. He was UFA so the Spurs were just looking at a simple signing, at first.

The Spurs were also thinking about how they’ll pare down to the final roster. It’s inevitable they’ll need to move somebody out, somehow. But they won’t be able to take another player at that time. No final roster decisions have been made yet, of course.

The Spurs contacted the Pacers to check on McD’s character. Good teammate, good citizen, and all that. We know the Spurs check character.

During the conversation, the Spurs also mentioned about paring down to their final roster. They asked if the Pacers would be interested in players the Spurs might cut.

The Pacers replied, yes, they’d be interested in player X if he gets cut. But there’s a problem. What about cap space to take player X when they can’t send a player to the Spurs?

But it’s noted that if the Spurs’ signing of McDermott as a UFA is changed to an S&T between the Spurs and Pacers, the Pacers can gain a $7.3 M trade exception. There’s the ability for the Pacers to take player X, when - and if - the Spurs make a final decision to move him out.

So they do it that way. They contact McDermott and he’s fine with it.

Thus, that Pacers’ TE that the Spurs helped the Pacers create, even tho the Spurs didn’t have to help the Pacers do that, provides a prearranged landing spot for a Spurs player X, when and if he doesn’t make the final Spurs roster. (And if nothing else develops in the meantime.)

So, under this theory, who is that Spurs player X? Impossible to say.

It’s iffy he’ll be on the final roster, but the way this offseason is going, it’s hard to tell what the Spurs are looking at.

The Pacers are interested in him. But for some reason unknown.

His contract price is under 7.3 M. But that’s most of the Spurs roster.

The Spurs care enough about him they don’t want to just leave him on his own, for finding another situation. But the Spurs are nice guys.

There could even be more than one possibility. So, hm.
    You may end up being correct but I am very doubtful.

Indiana is at 15 players once the Craig signing is official and they complete the Jackson trade and sign him as a draft pick. And then they'll be VERY close to the tax. They might be in it already if some bonuses hit. Like close enough that they might go into it even by taking in someone cheap.

I think they'll just save it for the offseas

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FiveThirtyEight Raptor 2020/2021 WAR

96) Jarrett Allen, Chris Boucher, DeMar DeRozan, Duncan Robinson, Domantas Sabonis, Christian Wood

116) Davis Bertans, Miles Bridges, Malcolm Brogdon, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, De'Anthony Melton

229) Solomon Hill, Kenyon Martin Jr., Doug McDermott

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we all agree McLovin will be starting at the 3 this year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we all agree that's pointless n we'll see multiple starting lineups

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather see him starting for the designated 3 pt guy than Forbes. Yes. The fast paced motion offense needs a knockdown shooter to space the floor. And he’s that guy. I think he plays stretch 4 though, with Keldon playing the 3. I think Keldon has been slimming down to be more agile defending faster SF, and becoming a better lockdown defender, ala Kawhi, Bruce, Sean. Better him guarding the 3 than McDermont and not risk losing his guy, and Poeltl to leave his big man for an easy dunk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While evisceration took place swiftly and properly performed by high BBIQ posters, take a look back at some of these hot takes:

The part about selling capspace for assets that nobody talks about is how it poisons the locker room. The Spurs, even if they end up tanking out next season, want to keep a winning culture, and bringing e.g. Love on the team with his massive salary for a couple picks would absolutely be a hit to everyone's morale.

And McD will be easily moved if need be - he's a SF/PF shooter in the modern NBA, making $14M. Chump change considering the modern cap and luxury thresholds. This is a classic case of Spurstalk jumping the gun to on the FO any chance they can. Go back to Jakob's signing thread if you want a prime example I'll never get over that one. If the same people who were saying Jak was an overpay, are saying McD is one, I'm dandy tbh
    That's a good signing for the Spurs. He's solid and a great shooter. Didn't think he'd command that much but Duncan Robinson just got $90M and the two guys are pretty similar tbqh.
    More than fine with his, especially when Duncan Robinson gets 90m for five years and Berta s for his ridiculous contract. Inky three years for a very who can stretch the floor and won't kill any of the budget that will need to be used on the young players in the coming years. A value, shrewd pick up instead of giving Markkanen more than 20 a year.

Shooting is exactly what we need and here we go.
    Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

This signing is literally because we value our younger players.
    To me, this signing really signals rebuild.

He's making 14 a year, which is actually pretty reasonable by today's NBA standards.

He's a decent player who will fit the program and make fans happy. We need shooting, and we need forwards. He fits that bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While evisceration took place swiftly and properly performed by high BBIQ posters, take a look back at some of these hot takes:
    The did you quote me for? Nothing I said (and tbh, some of the other comments) was wrong. McD is still a high-end role player, not an albatross contract, can be moved if need be (his recent injury makes it a tad harder I guess, but certainly not on negative asset territory yet).

I would've expected after all the ing and moaning over 50 Millz' contract, that you would've learned what an actual bad deal was, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The did you quote me for? Nothing I said (and tbh, some of the other comments) was wrong. McD is still a high-end role player, not an albatross contract, can be moved if need be (his recent injury makes it a tad harder I guess, but certainly not on negative asset territory yet).

I would've expected after all the ing and moaning over 50 Millz' contract, that you would've learned what an actual bad deal was, tbh.
    Dude really took time out of his day to try to make a point that literally no one cares about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butthurt Brigade dings in.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butthurt? You literally made no point at all and ended up looking stupid. Ducks level stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Right? John Wall and Russell Westbrook, who's games have both gone over a cliff, were moved last summer on deals in the $45-50M range. McD wasn't a great fit here, but would fit nicely on a contender with a gravity player. We won't have to include any assets, and may get back a decent ending contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I miss this kind of funny posts. Theres definitely guys that are too sensitive and touchy here. There’s a few that come out guns blazing, hostile like its a personal offense.

I will admit, I didn’t like him for the amount he signed. Luckily Keldon improved his shooting to an incredible extent making this guy completely redundant and useless. When he was signed, shooting was my main concern for the team, and I liked Dougie McD as a bench piece (not to start)… The Bryn Forbes signing was the one I really hated.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should be able to trade him easy enough. If we go into the season with him still on the team then we will already be in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate this FO and I hate this signing…they are so, so lost. Now, if they don’t get Collins this off season is crap.

Just run of the mill, no vision or direction, crap.
    Lol - they recovered overall nicely, but Doug was an obvious mistake. hopefully they can dump him this off season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “compe ive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding
    trade deadline made things a bit more clear and moving DeRozan soon after this signing.

Thread Information