Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1624
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...o-17015360.php

“He’s going to be a of a player,” the coach said. “He’s just realizing what it’s like to play with me. He’s basically a high school kid. The physicality of the game is something he’s getting used to, the tenacity.”
    Popovich loves how Primo never hangs his head.
    “His demeanor is just like this,” Popovich said, using a hand gesture signaling even keel. “Mistakes don’t bother him. He just goes on to the next play. He’s a special kid.”
    Sounds more like Pop patronizing a struggling rookie to me tbh. Same reason he brought Primo up full time to end the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What have a missed Pop hasn’t said much about Primo other than he is young and has lots to learn. By DJ and Kahwhi’s second year Pop was raving about them so we shall see I guess.
    He's said his defensive instinct is special and that he's mature beyond his years, along with a few other superlatives. Recall though Pop angrily called a timeout when Primo got burned on back to back, backdoor plays. Primo didn't come back in the rest of that came as I recall and was sent back down like the same week Pop finally went on record saying it was sink or swim time for him.

So evidently he wasn't as special as Pop intimated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is the youngest player in the nba and some in this thread are already writing his career arc

How about we find out what position he is supposed to play first before we wax poetic on his 10 year career
    Brawndo, it's got electrolytes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi= 2 yrs in college including a year as team #1, nba ready body, playing with HOF talent, greatly exceeded expectations, played on a team with length
    Primo = 1 yr college backup, still growing, playing with lottery talent, has made uneven progress, playing with midgets

dont compare primo to HOF talent form the draft but the average player in his position. the sengun sickos have the best argument that he was a reach. but i don't like comparing different positions
    I'm not comparing them, and would never do so in a sane universe. I'm saying it's my opinion that Pop and PATFO as a whole thought they had located their next neph, which is why they made the draft stretch pick that they did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those complaining about Primo’s athleticism, Kawhi’s MAX vert, with a run up, was 32”. Even in 2011, that was pretty pedestrian. Lonnie Walker has like a 40”-42”, and he ain’t done .

Oh, and Josh’s MAX very is 37.5”.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh will be fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not comparing them, and would never do so in a sane universe. I'm saying it's my opinion that Pop and PATFO as a whole thought they had located their next neph, which is why they made the draft stretch pick that they did.
    For those complaining about Primo’s athleticism, Kawhi’s MAX vert, with a run up, was 32”. Even in 2011, that was pretty pedestrian. Lonnie Walker has like a 40”-42”, and he ain’t done .

No,
    I doubt they they thought they had the next nephew. From an a front office point of view they've never been that delusional. I can disagree with a lot, but they e always known what they have.
    To ex's point, Nephew was and still to this day was never incredibly explosive. Very long and strong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No,
    I doubt they they thought they had the next nephew. From an a front office point of view they've never been that delusional. I can disagree with a lot, but they e always known what they have.
    To ex's point, Nephew was and still to this day was never incredibly explosive. Very long and strong.
    But his handles have been special enough to get him around defenders, and I'd say he is actually quick, especially his first step. And he's fast in the open court, has hesitation moves, and does the Euro step. Josh simply hasn't exhibited a burst, special handles, top speed.or a Euro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He has a base like Robert Newhouse (old Cowboys fullback for those not in the know) for a 19 year old.. He's powerful. But slow. It's clear as day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know his calves look a bit like Zions
    Hopefully Primo does not get fat like Zion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Johnny Drama that you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Primo getting fat?
    Like Atl poster
    Give him time and we will see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But his handles have been special enough to get him around defenders, and I'd say he is actually quick, especially his first step. And he's fast in the open court, has hesitation moves, and does the Euro step. Josh simply hasn't exhibited a burst, special handles, top speed.or a Euro.
    Lol, did Nephew show those hesi moves, flash the Euro steps, all in his rookie season? Easy to look at his 30-year-old game and see how comparatively lackluster Primo's looks. But it's a serious misconception thinking he came into the league with those things solidly "in his bag". He learned all of that in subsequent off-seasons (one of the only players who truly brought something new into his game every season) of training and hard work, the same way Primo can.

I'd actually say Primo's shown better "moves", specially on isolation, than Neph did in his rookie season. For example, I've definitely seen Primo euro-stepping in one of his earlier games, not to mention those pullup-3 moves he used to pull out, but stopped once his shot got wonky. Of course, they're completely different players and Neph had a lot of other valuable aspects to his game - I'm strictly arguing against this notion that Kawhi was a polished, or creative/natural, offensive player in his rookie season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, did Nephew show those hesi moves, flash the Euro steps, all in his rookie season? Easy to look at his 30-year-old game and see how comparatively lackluster Primo's looks. But it's a serious misconception thinking he came into the league with those things solidly "in his bag". He learned all of that in subsequent off-seasons (one of the only players who truly brought something new into his game every season) of training and hard work, the same way Primo can.

I'd actually say Primo's shown better "moves", specially on isolation, than Neph did in his rookie season. For example, I've definitely seen Primo euro-stepping in one of his earlier games, not to mention those pullup-3 moves he used to pull out, but stopped once his shot got wonky. Of course, they're completely different players and Neph had a lot of other valuable aspects to his game - I'm strictly arguing against this notion that Kawhi was a polished, or creative/natural, offensive player in his rookie season.
    Don’t waste your time�� Josh will take it from here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I'll counter that you are simply mistaken. And I think others have chimed in with a different take than this.

Neph may not have been "polished," a term I never used. But his advanced stats were light years ahead of Primo's. I'll say it again, Josh's rookie season produced the lowest of all drafted rookies and the entirety of the rest of the league save 2 other people, on PER.

They are different players, with much different games at roughly similar points in their careers. Could the gap narrow? I'd not only hope for that, I'd expect it.

The real error here was doing any comparison between the two, since they are simply on different development tracks.

Pop, whether knowingly or unknowingly conflate the two, however, given he hasn't talked about another rookie like Primo, since he did neph. And that's simply not fair to Josh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s mind numbingly stupid to use PER as a measure of how good a player is given the context around Primo’s season.

Folks need to stop using stats they have no idea how to use. Lord have mercy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s mind numbingly stupid to use PER as a measure of how good a player is given the context around Primo’s season.

Folks need to stop using stats they have no idea how to use. Lord have mercy.
    Lmao. Why did it rank him below every other rook? Stop making excuses. He had a bad year. Deal with it.

No idea how to use? It's a metric of play that is one of the few on ESPN.com and basketballreference.com listed with the basic stats of player performance.

I swear some of you guys have go-go gadget arms because you reach long and far to find a narrative that fits your agenda.
    Last edited by offset formation; 04-25-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop has confidence in Primo and so due to that I will have some hope for him, ultimately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao. Why did it rank him below every other rook? Stop making excuses. He had a bad year. Deal with it.

No idea how to use? It's a metric of play that is one of the few on ESPN.com and basketballreference.com listed with the basic stats of player performance.

I swear some of you guys have go-go gadget arms because you reach long and far to find a narrative that fits your agenda.
    You’re using it wrong. You’re dumb as bricks and should stay far away from stats as much as possible. You actually have valid points elsewhere, i.e. his agility, but your head is so far up your ass that you think I’m only saying this to make excuses. I have my own concerns about Primo and to put my opinion in your childish game of supporters vs haters is nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re using it wrong. You’re dumb as bricks and should stay far away from stats as much as possible. You actually have valid points elsewhere, i.e. his agility, but your head is so far up your ass that you think I’m only saying this to make excuses. I have my own concerns about Primo and to put my opinion in your childish game of supporters vs haters is nonsense.
    Why should PER not pertain to him? Try using a big boy argument instead of calling me dumb. By the way, I'm not afraid of quoting you and debating. OTOH, your first post was just a cowardly drive-by. I've been on this board for years, and you're all over the map with me. Sometimes you say I'm not the idiot you're arguing with and that I know what I'm talking about and now I shouldn't even try, huh?

You disagree with PER on Primo almost exclusively? Why? Try facts. Or just go about your day with drive-bys and I'll ignore you next time.

One counterfactual to your point above...why isPER demonstrative of the season Kuminga had, but not Josh. Kuminga PER over 70 games and 1500 minutes is 15.2. Primo over 50 games and almost 1000 minutes is 7.1 and was falling as the season progressed and he got more PT.
    Last edited by offset formation; 04-25-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why should PER not pertain to him? Try using a big boy argument instead of calling me dumb. By the way, I'm not afraid of quoting you and debating. OTOH, your first post was just a cowardly drive-by. I've been on this board for years, and you're all over the map with me. Sometimes you say I'm not the idiot you're arguing with and that I know what I'm talking about and now I shouldn't even try, huh?

You disagree with PER on Primo almost exclusively? Why? Try facts. Or just go about your day with drive-bys and I'll ignore you next time.

One counterfactual to your point above...why isPER demonstrative of the season Kuminga had, but not Josh. Kuminga PER over 70 games and 1500 minutes is 15.2. Primo over 50 games and almost 1000 minutes is 7.1 and was falling as the season progressed and he got more PT.
    Seems to me in my limited exposure to Kuminga that he was given a bit more freedom to be himself whereas Primo was given less la ude and worked more of flying under the radar and deferring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, there's no statistic that will show that Primo had a good year statistically, because he didn't. Not RAPTOR, not EPM, not on/off +/-, not PER, not TS% or VORP, not in a vacuum, and not in comparison with his teammates. You could say his assist-to-turnover ratio showed progress compared to his one year in college, but it still wasn't great. All of Primo's value lies in being very young and showing flashes, and being coachable and hardworking. There's really no metric anyone can point to that could be seen as conclusively showing that he wasn't one of the least effective players in the league. Pokusevski-- last year's youngest league player-- experienced the same thing last season statistically, and then this year took a step up in most metrics. Primo will almost undoubtedly do the same next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems to me in my limited exposure to Kuminga that he was given a bit more freedom to be himself whereas Primo was given less la ude and worked more of flying under the radar and deferring.
    This is a fair point, but Josh also started the last 15 games or so and clearly had the greenlight to shoot. He also was running point and often deferred with a high turnover %. And as I noted above, he actually got worse in PER as the season progressed with more PT. Nonetheless, I'll grant you Kuminga often was just backcutting and crashing the boards. See Dejounte, that's how you counter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a fair point, but Josh also started the last 15 games or so and clearly had the greenlight to shoot. He also was running point and often deferred with a high turnover %. And as I noted above, he actually got worse in PER as the season progressed with more PT. Nonetheless, I'll grant you Kuminga often was just backcutting and crashing the boards. See Dejounte, that's how you counter.
    Josh will be more assertive this year.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atl Spur, I'm getting the impression that you think people should give Primo more time and patience.

Thread Information