Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This IS from that mediot Chris Haynes…

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lebron-james-russell-westbrook-and-anthony-davis-commit-to-making-lakers-big-3-work-220405319.html

The Los Angeles Lakers’ Big 3 of LeBron James, Anthony Davis and Russell Westbrook huddled up on a phone conversation the first weekend of NBA Summer League in Las Vegas with each expressing their commitment to one another and vowing to make it work, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
    While the uncertainty of Westbrook’s future with the Lakers remains, the conversation was organized to make sure all three were on the same page as long as they’re joined together in their pursuit of a championship, sources said.
    Westbrook has never requested a trade from the Lakers, sources said.

He fired his agent that he’s had his whole career, because said agent wanted him to stay in LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year will be different. Last year they were close enough to a play in game.

Pop will sit players this year because the spurs won't be anywhere near a play in game.
    People thought we’d win 15 games without DeRozan last year, too. Vegas is only interested in even money on both sides, but an actual valid knifes edge O/U is probably 31.5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I presume it was after this phone call Russ and LBJ didn’t acknowledge each other while attending the same summer league game.

It is in the Lakers best interest to make that troika work as no one wants Russ… but you are fooling yourself if you think things are sunny in LaLa Land and this report probably means dilly . We should all know these three guys are disingenuous at the best of times.

I also don’t think there is a >10% a deal for Russ goes down and we are involved. Lakers have to give two FRPs with little
    protection to get a Kyrie trade done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I presume it was after this phone call Russ and LBJ didn’t acknowledge each other while attending the same summer league game.

It is in the Lakers best interest to make that troika work as no one wants Russ… but you are fooling yourself if you think things are sunny in LaLa Land and this report probably means dilly . We should all know these three guys are disingenuous at the best of times.

I also don’t think there is a >10% a deal for Russ goes down and we are involved. Lakers have to give two FRPs with little
    protection to get a Kyrie trade done.

One to nets and one to spurs. I assume spurs would say yes, if they can manage cash incentives as well. But nets probably say no? They'll want a contract back, like Poeltl or Richardson or both, and have no interest in THT or McDermott.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how Westbrook has garnered a reputation for being low IQ. He actually garnered a 3.9 GPA in high school and was admitted into Stanford. He ultimately chose UCLA because they offered him an athletic scholarship, while Stanford did not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how Westbrook has garnered a reputation for being low IQ. He actually garnered a 3.9 GPA in high school and was admitted into Stanford. He ultimately chose UCLA because they offered him an athletic scholarship, while Stanford did not.
    Wasn't aware that was his reputation. I just think he's a chucker / ball hog as much as someone can be with as many assists and triple dubs as he has. Maybe low BBIQ I could understand. But I'd never question his overall intelligence based on that. Dude does everything at Mach speed but his mind doesn't seem to process the floor at the same time as his speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    General IQ and basketball IQ are different. There have also been a lot of players with high BBIQ, who are clearly not very sharp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low basketball IQ, not overall. They’re now referring to it as Processor Speed, so people don’t make the mistake you did. It’s heightened reaction time, coupled with anticipation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low basketball IQ, not overall. They’re now referring to it as Processor Speed, so people don’t make the mistake you did. It’s heightened reaction time, coupled with anticipation.
    What's this for that they're referring to it as processor speed? BBall IQ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He fired his agent that he’s had his whole career, because said agent wanted him to stay in LA.
    My impression is that he fired his agent because the agent had the audacity to recommend/suggest that he would have to accept a buy out if he is, in fact, moved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My impression is that he fired his agent because the agent had the audacity to recommend/suggest that he would have to accept a buy out if he is, in fact, moved.
    I think Russ is self aware enough to know that his next trade will be a salary dump, and that he will not stay with that team. His agent only released that statement after the fact.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's silly to say he lacks basketball intelligence. It's not like he doesn't know how to play the game. The problem is his incompatibility with the current team because he can't make three point shots, but he is playing in an era where you have to shoot them. So he shoots, but because he is a poor three point shooter, he misses a lot. He is elite at other stuff, but not at shooting or defense. I don't know why he is a poor defender, but I think it's by choice to not put effort into it, not from lack of basketball I.Q.

His two best traits in his prime were that he was a great athlete and he was fearlessly aggressive. Now that he has lost a step, his fearlessly aggressive play becomes a negative, but in his prime, he was a beast.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vanity gets the best of many intelligent people and makes them do and say things that would otherwise be beneath them, all to protect their ego. It’s part of human nature. In fact you can see it with many of the “leaders” on this forum. Very common. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's silly to say he lacks basketball intelligence. It's not like he doesn't know how to play the game. The problem is his incompatibility with the current team because he can't make three point shots, but he is playing in an era where you have to shoot them. So he shoots, but because he is a poor three point shooter, he misses a lot. He is elite at other stuff, but not at shooting or defense. I don't know why he is a poor defender, but I think it's by choice to not put effort into it, not from lack of basketball I.Q.

His two best traits in his prime were that he was a great athlete and he was fearlessly aggressive. Now that he has lost a step, his fearlessly aggressive play becomes a negative, but in his prime, he was a beast.
    The thing is, we’re not talking about prime Westbrook. The thread le makes it clear that we’re talking about NOW Westbrook. Now Westbrook is a net negative player, and has been for 3 seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's probably the dumbest basketball player that I have ever watched tbh. The guy plays stupid ball. I think it's mainly because of his ego, trying to pad stats, etc. KD knew what he was doing when he left OKC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As if getting a 3.9 in high school is an accomplishment. We all know HS was bull . All you had to do was show up and give a fraction of a worth of effort. (I had a few difficult AP classes, but even those could be finessed into an easy B.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook is literally the worst high volume three point shooter in the history of the NBA. Every coach & scout & analyst mentions it, and he absolutely refuses to change. So I think it's not so much IQ as stubbornness...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook is literally the worst high volume three point shooter in the history of the NBA. Every coach & scout & analyst mentions it, and he absolutely refuses to change. So I think it's not so much IQ as stubbornness...
    him and Pop would be straight comedy. The most stubborn player with the most stubborn coach.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stubbornness and ego. He could actually make a huge impact on a team making a run if he decided that stats mean nothing and focused solely on helping his team where they need him.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst 3P% in with increasing # shots, up to Westbrook.

3PA 3P%
    31 0.0% Zaza Pachulia
    43 2.3% Anderson Varejao
    46 4.3% Gene Banks
    64 4.7% Otis Thorpe
    102 5.9% Darrell Walker
    152 13.2% Kelvin Ransey
    186 14.5% Avery Johnson
    464 17.2% Dennis Johnson
    888 21.7% Andre Miller
    2020 26.6% Charles Barkley
    3746 30.5% Russell Westbrook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wild is that Westbrook is exactly the type of rehabilitation project that Pop could knock out of the park if Westbrook was willing and it didn't cost $47MM (and hurt our rebuilding plan).

Westbrook is obviously an extremely talented player who has largely played on free-wheeling teams. Even at Westbrook's age, I believe the structure that Pop could provide while putting him in a position to succeed could revive his career. I do believe DDR is an improved player as a result of his time with Pop, and I think Westbrook could have a similar renaissance under Pop... but the cir stances make that something that we shouldn't have an interest in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wild is that Westbrook is exactly the type of rehabilitation project that Pop could knock out of the park if Westbrook was willing and it didn't cost $47MM (and hurt our rebuilding plan).

Westbrook is obviously an extremely talented player who has largely played on free-wheeling teams. Even at Westbrook's age, I believe the structure that Pop could provide while putting him in a position to succeed could revive his career. I do believe DDR is an improved player as a result of his time with Pop, and I think Westbrook could have a similar renaissance under Pop... but the cir stances make that something that we shouldn't have an interest in.
    I think Westbrook is still a very talented player. You just can't put him on a team with a dominant ball handler and expect to play him off the ball because he can't space the floor for Lebron with his terrible three point shooting. He was an ill-conceived addition to the Lakers and they honestly should have been all over DDR, who has similar problems as Westbrook, but can take a back seat to Lebron without his ego getting in the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Processing speed is correlated with IQ. In fact, it's literally one of the components of tests that psychologists have traditionally used to gauge IQ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Processing speed is correlated with IQ. In fact, it's literally one of the components of tests that psychologists have traditionally used to gauge IQ.
    In my experience (of which I do have real experience and training), prac ioners of processing speed assessments are warned not to confuse processing speed with IQ. There are very high IQ individuals who do not process as fast as some lower IQ individuals with high processing speed ability. However, this is outside of a basketball context, more in a general sense.

With that said, processing speed is considered a fundamental element of working memory capacity, and working memory capacity is found to be a strong indicator of IQ performance.

The reason for the caution of confusing the two, however, is that you may have some roles within an organization that do not require a high IQ, but do require a high processing speed (and vice versa). The caution is more of a way to remind employers not to fall into the trap of unconscious bias which may later get you sued

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my experience (of which I do have real experience and training), prac ioners of processing speed assessments are warned not to confuse processing speed with IQ. There are very high IQ individuals who do not process as fast as some lower IQ individuals with high processing speed ability. However, this is outside of a basketball context, more in a general sense.

With that said, processing speed is considered a fundamental element of working memory capacity, and working memory capacity is found to be a strong indicator of IQ performance.

The reason for the caution of confusing the two, however, is that you may have some roles within an organization that do not require a high IQ, but do require a high processing speed (and vice versa). The caution is more of a way to remind employers not to fall into the trap of unconscious bias which may later get you sued
    This is really interesting.
    I'd love to look into a breakdown of why the thought process is the way it is.
    You wouldn't happen to have any informative links, or points of direction to look into this, would you?

Thread Information