Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA is the best city in Texas. Not a bad place at all to work 9 months of the year then take the private jet to the offseason home somewhere more yankee.
    SA is the best city in Texas... if you enjoy 90 degree Thanksgivings and having to blast the AC so the kids don't get too hot on Christmas morning. Tornado scares all year round and even at night.

Nope, I prefer DFW, where winter and snow days are actually a thing and at least the tornadoes are predictable... yep, 3-7 pm on a humid unstable day and only late March thru early June.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if spurs are going total rebuild i do think it would make sense for them to relocate.

no td, manu, kawhi with la probably wanting out too...

seattle is hungry for basketball team, they wouldn't expect to contend right away and would be okay with that.

ticket sales are not going to look good here if spurs go full rebuild.

and year after year people already justifiably mock our home crowd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would hope they upgrade to a new arena long before that, though. It's already old.
    It’s only 16 years old...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would disagree. Until you have been in homes of people who live in these locations you do not know. Yes, many are poor, but there are no more trashy people on the south side than there are on the north side. In fact I think there are more on the north side.
    Dude, I went to school on the south side for 8th grade because my mom taught there. Was the only white kid to graduate from Zamora Middle School in Spring 2009. Was frequently picked on because I was smart, white, and didn't say "c*nt" or "pussy" every other sentence. Every other month someone got pregnant... my mom worked there, so I would know... and this was MIDDLE SCHOOL. Even girls I had crushes on, randomly got pregnant. And Zamora was the best middle school in South San. Dwight and the rest were much worse. I have first hand experience, and you know what else? My mom lived on the south side for 3 years as a teenager with one of my grandmother's abusive ex boyfriends.

As for the East side, I've never spent significant time there, but my mom did have to go to the teacher's workshop facility (Region 20) -- on some Saturdays -- which was located near AT&T Center. I went with her a few times to try to learn something, I guess? That area is awful. Jim street, Tom street and I forget the rest. The houses look like little shacks with wire fences, overgrown lawns and paint peeling off. Old black men limping around in rags begging for money. That's no place to build an NBA stadium, at all.

For the North side... like, 410 and 281 intersection area? That's probably the best part of SA, maybe along with the far northwest and far northeast sides (though the NE is getting too many blacks these days, though they are the most affluent blacks by far in the metro area). I-410 on the north side is where all the actual jobs are, all the tech jobs, finance jobs, office jobs for you know, actual civilized adults? There aren't a lot of good jobs in SA, but those that are... Lockheed Martin, Rackspace, USAA and the like... are all on the north side.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    dem San Antonio tornadoes gon getcha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tampa, Seattle, St Louis, Pittsbugh, Baltimore, Nashville. These are the only markets bigger than San Antonio without an NBA team, and Baltimore and Nashville are only marginally bigger.

Utah, New Orleans, Milwaukee, OKC, Memphis are all smaller markets than San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah OP with tornados wtf. Been here 20 years and haven't seen 1 ing tornado in my area. Also you left off half a dozen other fortune 150 companies like Valero, NuStar and HEB. What a clown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf? have you been to SA? also, tornados?

http://www.tornadoalleyarmor.com/loc...-tornado-facts

Tornado "Hot Spots" in Texas
    I grew up in SA, duh. Also, this is the long term list from 1950, I'm talking about more recently, since tornado alley has moved south due to climate change. Not denying whatsoever there are more tornadoes near Houston or even up here, but I do recall there being random tornadoes at night in weird months like October and January in SA when I was in high school 2011 and 2012, and a bad one struck SA and took out a whole street of houses (Linda street?) as recently as 2016 (I believe).

I don't worry too much about tornadoes when they're supposed to happen, from 3-7 pm in the springtime, because they're something you expect... but at night and in the fall or winter time? Those are the ones that kill people in droves because they come out of the blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tampa, Seattle, St Louis, Pittsbugh, Baltimore, Nashville. These are the only markets bigger than San Antonio without an NBA team, and Baltimore and Nashville are only marginally bigger.

Utah, New Orleans, Milwaukee, OKC, Memphis are all smaller markets than San Antonio.
    Damn, forgot Pittsburgh. Why don't they have an NBA team? Allegheny, PA area is pretty ing huge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah OP with tornados wtf. Been here 20 years and haven't seen 1 ing tornado in my area. Also you left off half a dozen other fortune 150 companies like Valero, NuStar and HEB. What a clown.
    Do I need to list all the companies with large HQ campuses in Plano, TX alone? And that's not even counting all the ones in Richardson near CityLine, Irving near Las Colinas, Westlake, or Downtown Dallas (which I wouldn't work there anyway, but that's beside the point).

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They come from the east side and getcha at night!

Bottom line: OP is stupefyingly ignorant. Arena was built on county land after the city dropped the ball on a better downtown location. SS&E has one of the best arena deals in the NBA and will still make money even if the Spurs don't sell 99% of their seats like they did this past season. That deal lasts for another 15 years or so; there's no need for them to look elsewhere until then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, I went to school on the south side for 8th grade because my mom taught there. Was the only white kid to graduate from Zamora Middle School in Spring 2009. Was frequently picked on because I was smart, white, and didn't say "c*nt" or "pussy" every other sentence. Every other month someone got pregnant... my mom worked there, so I would know... and this was MIDDLE SCHOOL. Even girls I had crushes on, randomly got pregnant. And Zamora was the best middle school in South San. Dwight and the rest were much worse. I have first hand experience, and you know what else? My mom lived on the south side for 3 years as a teenager with one of my grandmother's abusive ex boyfriends.

As for the East side, I've never spent significant time there, but my mom did have to go to the teacher's workshop facility (Region 20) -- on some Saturdays -- which was located near AT&T Center. I went with her a few times to try to learn something, I guess? That area is awful. Jim street, Tom street and I forget the rest. The houses look like little shacks with wire fences, overgrown lawns and paint peeling off. Old black men limping around in rags begging for money. That's no place to build an NBA stadium, at all.

For the North side... like, 410 and 281 intersection area? That's probably the best part of SA, maybe along with the far northwest and far northeast sides (though the NE is getting too many blacks these days, though they are the most affluent blacks by far in the metro area). I-410 on the north side is where all the actual jobs are, all the tech jobs, finance jobs, office jobs for you know, actual civilized adults? There aren't a lot of good jobs in SA, but those that are... Lockheed Martin, Rackspace, USAA and the like... are all on the north side.
    Your skin color should not matter. If anything you make yourself look bad by thinking you need to point to that. Now, take a look at what has happened to Brooks City Base, and all the money that is pouring into Pleasanton from the eagle Ford is bleeding into the south side. The most comfortable theater remains on the South side and the mall is full or real people rather than brand bandwagonners like on the north side. People are kind and talkative. Everything you experienced at Zamora could just as easily happened at Alamo Heights, but they do a better job at hiding their baggage. Drugs run rampant and my son has had 6 friends commit suicide over the last 10 years who came all grew up in Alamo Heights often considered the best school on the northside.
    These issues are no different in any city or any school. It seems like you have developed a false prejudice against the people and area you grew up with to use as an excuse for any short comings you have in life and come in here to throw the southside under the bus to help justify that position in your own mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They come from the east side and getcha at night!

Bottom line: OP is stupefyingly ignorant. Arena was built on county land after the city dropped the ball on a better downtown location. SS&E has one of the best arena deals in the NBA and will still make money even if the Spurs don't sell 99% of their seats like they did this past season. That deal lasts for another 15 years or so; there's no need for them to look elsewhere until then.
    Clay Bennett didn't find the existing lease an insurmountable obstruction to his plans, huh? So why should the Spurs, and their gay cheerleaders ( SS&E)???

Nope, tornadoes don't come from the east, unless they're coming from a landfalling hurricane/tropical storm. Do you know anything about meteorology? Low pressure troughs always move in from west to east in the Northern Hemisphere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do I need to list all the companies with large HQ campuses in Plano, TX alone? And that's not even counting all the ones in Richardson near CityLine, Irving near Las Colinas, Westlake, or Downtown Dallas (which I wouldn't work there anyway, but that's beside the point).
    Dont be mad because you got called out for saying SA doesn't have jobs. I also like how you use DFW as an example, of course DFW has more jobs its like 3 ing cities combined. SA/Austin has plenty of jobs if you want to play that game.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have been here since what, the 60s, 70s? It went through the late 80's fine, it's going to get through this. Pop and RC will make sure this franchise survives, I'm sure, and the city just embraces it as it's their only team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can we gather from OP? That he has takes, starts threads and couldnt get into UTSA so he left to some random ass obscure college and hates SA because of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your skin color should not matter. If anything you make yourself look bad by thinking you need to point to that. Now, take a look at what has happened to Brooks City Base, and all the money that is pouring into Pleasanton from the eagle Ford is bleeding into the south side. The most comfortable theater remains on the South side and the mall is full or real people rather than brand bandwagonners like on the north side. People are kind and talkative. Everything you experienced at Zamora could just as easily happened at Alamo Heights, but they do a better job at hiding their baggage. Drugs run rampant and my son has had 6 friends commit suicide over the last 10 years who came all grew up in Alamo Heights often considered the best school on the northside.
    These issues are no different in any city or any school. It seems like you have developed a false prejudice against the people and area you grew up with to use as an excuse for any short comings you have in life and come in here to throw the southside under the bus to help justify that position in your own mind.
    This is the same guy who claimed a few years ago that Indians were the reasons why he couldn't get an IT job because they were stealing opportunities from him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ATT is where it is because there wouldnt be Spurs in San Antonio if the county hadnt bailed them out after the city council couldnt get it done. County already owned the land (100 contiguous acres not in a flood plain is hard to find) and they needed the rodeo support to get the bond issue passed.

As for all the ing that you dont see people in the lower level on tv, that because they are in the corporate suites behind them scarfing down food and drinks and watching the game on 75" oleds. The ticket situation will be fine. Nobody is giving up their season tickets just because of a couple average seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not deny it though, the south side is 97% Hispanic (2009 figures), teen pregnancy is among the highest in the state, and South San High School has long been known as the "dropout factory". I couldn't make this up.

I'm not denying that drugs don't run rampant everywhere. Even in affluent apartments in Frisco, TX, I witnessed a few people smoking cannabis joints the other day. It's bad news and it's rampant everywhere.

Mexicans from down south may be kind and talkative, but they're also very likely to be quite obese AND on food stamps... see any problem with that? Food stamps (including SNAP, Lone Star Card) should be denied to anyone over a healthy BMI, truth be told. Same goes for Food Bank and food pantries. There needs to be more regulations and barriers to entry for moochers to steal taxpayer money like that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Clay Bennett didn't find the existing lease an insurmountable obstruction to his plans, huh? So why should the Spurs, and their gay cheerleaders ( SS&E)???
    You mean after the previous owner tried to get the city to renovate the exiting arena, failed and sold the team to the Bennett group? do you not know what SS&E means?

Nope, tornadoes don't come from the east, unless they're coming from a landfalling hurricane/tropical storm. Do you know anything about meteorology? Low pressure troughs always move in from west to east in the Northern Hemisphere.
    That was a joke, you idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not deny it though, the south side is 97% Hispanic (2009 figures), teen pregnancy is among the highest in the state, and South San High School has long been known as the "dropout factory". I couldn't make this up.

I'm not denying that drugs don't run rampant everywhere. Even in affluent apartments in Frisco, TX, I witnessed a few people smoking cannabis joints the other day. It's bad news and it's rampant everywhere.

Mexicans from down south may be kind and talkative, but they're also very likely to be quite obese AND on food stamps... see any problem with that? Food stamps (including SNAP, Lone Star Card) should be denied to anyone over a healthy BMI, truth be told. Same goes for Food Bank and food pantries. There needs to be more regulations and barriers to entry for moochers to steal taxpayer money like that.
    Great post. Especially that last part.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Even in affluent apartments in Frisco, TX, I witnessed a few people smoking cannabis joints the other day

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to August 2013, bro.

As a senior in high school (2012-13), I told my mom there's no way I was staying in SA for college. At the time I'd rather have gone to Prairie View than UTSA. Ended up choosing UNT Denton to get as far away from SA as possible without losing the in-state tuition thingy.

Though I did go back to SA for Christmas breaks and 1 ½ summers, including the full summer of 2014 which was obviously worth it for many reasons. Took classes at Northwest Vista College that summer (transferred them back to UNT), got free coffee at two different Valero's close to NVC on a class day immediately after the Spurs won their final championship. Being in SA for "Drive for 5, Finished Business" was one of the best memories of my life, better than losing my virginity or delivering my HS valedictorian speech.

But like a great TV series, if it goes on too long it will water down the team's history and make it stale. Like ordering ten lobster tails instead of three; by the fifth one, you get tired of lobster. I suggest they start anew in a different city with a different name and mascot.
    That made no ing sense dude get your money back from what ever college you went to cause you got robbed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol dfw even being in a conversation about best texas city. maybe best oklahoma city

arguments can be made for houston and perhaps austin. everything else too small or out in the bufu (el paso)

Houston is Chicago South, but worse. Similar demographics, too. There's a reason H-town is known as the "hood" of the country, and definitely the state. Not to mention the weather there is among the worst in the world, much less the country. Most tornadoes, absolutely oppressive heat and humidity, flooding threat all year round, big hurricane threat every summer... yeah.

Austin is the other Seattle. Hipsterism, Bernie-ism, communism, progressivism reigns supreme. Drug use, especially acid and marijuana, runs rampant. If you're not a far-left bleeding heart liberal you're run out of town quickly for being a "bigoted right-wing hater". There's plenty of tech jobs in Austin, and they pay pretty well, too, but good luck finding an apartment to yourself for under $1400 a month. Like Seattle, most millennials there are forced to live in ensian conditions, with roommates sharing bathrooms, kitchens and even bedrooms.

DFW is Texas. As in, Texas as it should be and has been from the late 1800s up until the Mexican re-invasion. Embodies quality Southern culture and good values. Where else are you going to find beautiful white women in droves in a large Texas city?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First off, this is 2018. A lot has changed in 9 years. Second, I don't give a damn about what race lives on the south side. Show me where you get these recent stats on teen pregnancy because that is an issue for the whole state, (5th highest in the country). I do not like calling people racist, but your constant berating of Hispanics is making it real hard to not go there.

Thread Information