Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not paying Grant huge money or trading Murray-plus for him. We're talking about a guy who was basically a net-neutral player. I'd vomit giving him Murray's contract. He's certainly not the perfect fit for the SL. They'd have to hope to upgrade him if they'd want to make noise. If Denver wanted DJM, there are better targets on their roster, whether that's a direct trade or something involving other teams. If Grant isn't hanging around for the MLE, he's an easy pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spit-balling, but Orlando could be regretting the Ross and Aminu deals and think moving on from them and getting and extended DeRozan is worth 15. It's not horrible money, but Miami might decide to short circuit the summer of 2021 and get DeRozan, especially if he's signing a cheaper extension. They'd send Iggy and Olynyk over to match salary. Young and Satoransky have surprisingly huge contracts with partial guarantees in 2021. Could be worth a pick swap for them to clear their cap and get a talent upgrade. Not a multi-year deal, but Conley's salary is horrible, and he's been a huge bust with the team. Somehow, the team has their first-rounder this year, and using it to turn Conley into DeRozan and Gay could be the kind a move that a GM makes trying desperately to cover up for his horrible move last season. Sacramento always seems to have bad contracts to throw around, and Portland could probably use DeRozan more than Aldridge to do what Melo has been doing for them but adding more play-making.

Surprisingly, there isn't a ton of bad money out there anymore. There are still deals like Wiggins and Rozier, but I don't really see those team's trading them and giving up value.
    Shooting 3 pointers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting 3 pointers?
    I don't think they have him out there specifically to do that as much as for him to be an offensive threat. He can shoot much better than DeRozan, but he can't penetrate for anymore. The lack of perimeter play-making outside of Lillard is a big reason why the Blazers can't seem to move on from CJ McCollum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not paying Grant huge money or trading Murray-plus for him. We're talking about a guy who was basically a net-neutral player. I'd vomit giving him Murray's contract. He's certainly not the perfect fit for the SL. They'd have to hope to upgrade him if they'd want to make noise. If Denver wanted DJM, there are better targets on their roster, whether that's a direct trade or something involving other teams. If Grant isn't hanging around for the MLE, he's an easy pass.
    How's Grant not a perfect fit? 6'8" guy with a massive 7'3" wingspan. Can play either forward position and even some center on smaller lineups. Can defend on the perimeter as well as being a rim protector. An above average 3pt shooter and can also put the ball on the floor and attack. He's exactly the type of player we are desperately lacking.

Oh, and he's 26, same age as White. He fits perfectly with the window of our young core. I would much rather pay him what we owe Murray. An astronomical better fit next to White, Keldon and Walker than Murray will ever be.

I would like to know who do you consider better fits than him.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-13-2020 at 12:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they have him out there specifically to do that as much as for him to be an offensive threat. He can shoot much better than DeRozan, but he can't penetrate for anymore. The lack of perimeter play-making outside of Lillard is a big reason why the Blazers can't seem to move on from CJ McCollum.
    DeRozan would be an awful fit next to such a ball dominant player like Lillard. And then you also have McCollum. Carmelo >> DeRozan for the Blazers as currently constructed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook dropping knowledge and making sense and :LOL at those clowns who have no clue about b-ball disagreeing

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    DeRozan would be an awful fit next to such a ball dominant player like Lillard. And then you also have McCollum. Carmelo >> DeRozan for the Blazers as currently constructed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook dropping knowledge and making sense and :LOL at those clowns who have no clue about b-ball disagreeing
    Look at you with all that butt licking.

Let me guess, you are a hardcore Murray fan. That's the only reason I find to not wanting to trade Grant for Murray straight up, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let me guess, you are a hardcore Murray fan. That's the only reason I find to not wanting to trade Grant for Murray straight up, tbh.
    Derrick White, Lonnie Walker IV, and Keldon Jonhson. Murray, just like Jakob, complains too much. But having said that, you are nuts to trade him for Grant, if Grant was so good why he was in five teams in the last eight years? Oh, I see you look at numbers his measurements; 6'8" guy with a massive 7'3" wingspan,

You are a dumbass, at 23 years old DJ has much better numbers than Grant! Even currently 23 vs 25 he has higher PER, VORP, TRB, AST, STL,..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

AND at 38K+ posts, get a life you idiot, there are other things in life that being here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White, Lonnie Walker IV, and Keldon Jonhson. Murray, just like Jakob, complains too much. But having said that, you are nuts to trade him for Grant, if Grant was so good why he was in five teams in the last eight years? Oh, I see you look at numbers his measurements; 6'8" guy with a massive 7'3" wingspan,

You are a dumbass, at 23 years old DJ has much better numbers than Grant! Even currently 23 vs 25 he has higher PER, VORP, TRB, AST, STL,..
    I have watched him play plenty. Have you?

Grant has always been a desire of mine. My only problem with him was his 3pt shooting. He now has two solid seasons on that regard to show it isn't a fluke. He would be an ideal match. I don't see how we can get him though. But if he's willing to accept the MLE, he should be priority #1, 2, 3 and 4. He's the perfect fit.

Maybe sign and trade with Denver? I would have no problem with paying Grant Dejounte's money. Grant for Murray straight up. Maybe add a second rounder if needed to get their attention.
    Like I said earlier on this thread, I have always loved Grant's game. He had pretty much everything you can ask for from a role playing forward except a jumpshot. Now that he has developed a three point shot, he will be a beast. There's a reason he declined a 9 millions per year resign offer.

Do you have any counter argument to make regarding Grant's play or you just know him from stat checking a couple of minutes ago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AND at 38K+ posts, get a life you idiot, there are other things in life that being here.
    Over a 12 years span. That translates to 8 posts per day. That's less than your friend Chinook. Are you calling him a no-life loser too?

Anyways, thanks for going straight to the personal attacks. It clarifies your emotional and intelligence levels for me, tbh. Have a good one son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over a 12 years span. That translates to 8 posts per day. That's less than your friend Chinook. Are you calling him a no-life loser too?

Anyways, thanks for going straight to the personal attacks. It clarifies your emotional and intelligence levels for me, tbh. Have a good one son.
    Sure, you win the argument, 8 posts a day, that's a lot

You are telling me you have been here every single day for over a decade? wtf, don't you have a life????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have watched him play plenty. Have you?

Like I said earlier on this thread, I have always loved Grant's game. He had pretty much everything you can ask for from a role playing forward except a jumpshot. Now that he has developed a three point shot, he will be a beast. There's a reason he declined a 9 millions per year resign offer.

Do you have any counter argument to make regarding Grant's play or you just know him from stat checking a couple of minutes ago?
    five teams in eight years should tell you all you need to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, you win the argument, 8 posts a day, that's a lot

You are telling me you have been here every single day for over a decade? tf, don't you have a life????
    Nop, that's just the average, tbh. If I post 16 times one day and none the other, you get 8 on average. That's how math works my friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    five teams in eight years should tell you all you need to know.
    That's quite the hypocritical reply coming from the guy that accused me of just checking Grant's measurements to start a "sign him up" campaign, tbh.

So, you are just going to dismiss a player because of the number of teams he played in without even knowing how well he's playing right now? I thought you were part of the knowledge dropping group son.

Did you know that Bruce Bowen switched teams 5 times in 7 years before getting to the Spurs? Is that good enough of a knowledge drop for you son?
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-13-2020 at 03:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How's Grant not a perfect fit? 6'8" guy with a massive 7'3" wingspan. Can play either forward position and even some center on smaller lineups. Can defend on the perimeter as well as being a rim protector. An above average 3pt shooter and can also put the ball on the floor and attack. He's exactly the type of player we are desperately lacking.

Oh, and he's 26, same age as White. He fits perfectly with the window of our young core. I would much rather pay him what we owe Murray. An astronomical better fit next to White, Keldon and Walker than Murray will ever be.

I would like to know who do you consider better fits than him.
    When we're talking about perfect fits, not the best fit right now. Grant isn't the lead-dog, first-option PF the team needs to move into contending status, nor is he the ace defender the team needs to make up for playing White, Walker and Johnson. In your mind, Johnson moves to the two and the team finds another 6-8 guy to be the SF. That SF would pretty much have to be one of those two previously mentioned archetypes. So it's basically Grant replacing Walker and the team having the same needs. According to 82games.com (which to be fair is a weird site), Grant was basically a slightly negative man defender at either forward position, and that lines up with his other impact stats being meh to poor. RPM actually had him as a solidly bad player on both sides of the ball, even with his shooting.

I like him more than his bad stats suggest I should, but I'm not giving him a huge contract nor considering him as locking down the PF position for years. They'd still have to upgrade, with that pick doing all the work in determining the team's fate, and I'm not paying a vet that much money if he's just going to replace Walker and not fill his own hole.

DeRozan doesn't use more possessions than McCollum does. The Blazers didn't just sign Melo to shoot. There are other spacing bigs out there nowadays. They wanted offensive upside, especially for when Lillard is on the bench. DeRozan can do that better than Melo can. If the Blazers don't make it to the playoffs this year, I think they have to make a more dramatic move. Simply building around Lillard and not increasing their talent level isn't going to be enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t trade anybody for Grant. But Grant clearly wants to start. And he won’t get much more than the MLE, matter of fact he might be attainable for the MLE with the cap not rising. There are not a lot of teams with cap space out there. I don’t see anybody throwing more than 13 million per year at him

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as a player: grant>>murray
    as a fit to recent spurs roster: grant>>>>>>>murray

swapin murray for grant would be a great move

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't read every comment in this thread relative to Grant, so forgive me if this is repeating. He's at the top of my free agent wish list too. He wants a raise, but I'd argue he makes his market value, particularly in this market. 4/48 is probably the outer reaches of an overpay I would stomach, but I'd be fine with this as part of a sign and trade for Mills or Aldridge. If Aldridge, we'd also have to get some other compensation back.

A lot depends on how the Spurs fare in the lottery--they may draft big. But even if they do well in the lottery and draft big, I'd still take Grant.

The Nuggets need to create playing time for Porter Jr and need to watch their salary cap very closely with Porter Jr's eventual max contract on the horizon. One of Grant, Harris, or Barton will be dealt or, in the case of Grant, potentially renounced. This is why a Mills sign and trade may not be agreeable to Denver. Mills' number is fine, the deal is short term, his shot making would work well in their offense. Mills and Mulitinov for Grant could be attractive to Denver too.

It seems that the Spurs' offseason will be mid level, bi-annual, and two rookies. They'll have to create a little space if they want to retain Poeltl and Forbes. Jerami Grant will want more than the mid level, assuming it's adjusted down from its current projection, so a sign and trade seems like the only suitable option. There are lots of ways the Spurs could create some salary cap comfort (for the Holts) in order to retain their restricted free agents. As one example, Hollinger thinks trading Gay into the Warriors' trade exception for Iguodala and taking back a pick from Golden State is smart for each team. I agree.
    Last edited by Excessive Egotist; 08-13-2020 at 10:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't read every comment in this thread relative to Grant, so forgive me if this is repeating. He's at the top of my free agent wish list too. He wants a raise, but I'd argue he makes his market value, particularly in this market. 12/48 is probably the outer reaches of an overpay I would stomach, but I'd be fine with this as part of a sign and trade for Mills or Aldridge. If Aldridge, we'd also have to get some other compensation back.

A lot depends on how the Spurs fare in the lottery--they may draft big. But even if they do well in the lottery and draft big, I'd still take Grant.

The Nuggets need to create playing time for Porter Jr and need to watch their salary cap very closely with Porter Jr's eventual max contract on the horizon. One of Grant, Harris, or Barton will be dealt or, in the case of Grant, potentially renounced. This is why a Mills sign and trade may not be agreeable to Denver. Mills' number is fine, the deal is short term, his shot making would work well in their offense. Mills and Mulitinov for Grant could be attractive to Denver too.

It seems that the Spurs' offseason will be mid level, bi-annual, and two rookies. They'll have to create a little space if they want to retain Poeltl and Forbes. Jerami Grant will want more than the mid level, assuming it's adjusted down from its current projection, so a sign and trade seems like the only suitable option. There are lots of ways the Spurs could create some salary cap comfort (for the Holts) in order to retain their restricted free agents. As one example, Hollinger thinks trading Gay into the Warriors' trade exception for Iguodala and taking back a pick from Golden State is smart for each team. I agree.
    12/48 is a steal! That’s only $4M per year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12/48 is a steal! That’s only $4M per year.
    Silly math typo. I meant 4/48. Thanks for catching it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have much faith in the current GM at evaluating talent/need for this team. Last year's big acquisition was........Carrol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah who ever brought up and signed Carroll should be fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say this kind of situation is the one that shows the value of picking up good players in the draft (even if we aren't talking about stars of which there is usually only a couple in most drafts, and some are bare), instead of having Luka Samanic being 2 years away... (if that), but you know. If he had developed enough this season to look like he could be a contributor next season (you know like other youngsters have) that would be different. Right now it's like empty space but taking a spot in the roster.

Thread Information