Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tired of drafting guys who "might contribute in 3 years"... get guys who can play now. it's not like pro-ready players are also simultaneously immune from development.

its one thing to waste a pick on a guy who ends up a bust or injured, its another thing altogether to waste a pick on a guy like milutinov
    They just can't help themselves if the guy is a Euro unless it's a fathead. Otherwise they go with guys like Fathead over Jokic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't see Lyles being a cap casualty. Poeltl might (foolishly) be. Can't imagine Lyles being a long term piece either, but even if they draft a four at 11, they're not usurping him or Gay next season.
    I agree with objective that Lyles is basically a gate-keeper for a young PF. Pop probably knows and is comfortable with what Lyles brings, but it's not to the point where he can't be unseated. We could easily see a situation like Walker/Beli were Pop keeps giving the young PF chances to unseat the vet but always keeps one foot in the vet's corner ready to switch back at a moment's notice.

Depends on which direction you think they'll go. I believe, if the top 10 more or less play out to projection, they're more likely to pick someone ready or close to being able to contribute. Could obviously easily be wrong though.
    I really think there will be some type of trade that could affect where the Spurs are drafting. My gut tells me that at least one of Gay/DeRozan/Lyles will be gone next season, leaving room for Sam or a drafted PF. But just as with you, I could definitely be wrong.

With certain players, Pop may not put much stock into designations. This guy has the makings of strictly a one position player though. You're suggesting he beats out both Johnson and Walker? I can't see it.
    I'm suggesting this rotation:

White, Johnson/Walker, DeRozan, Lyles, Aldridge
    Mills, Murray, Walker/Johnson, Gay, Poeltl

Then Sam would be the 11th man who gets minutes from all three front-court positions (with the loser of Walker/Johnson getting some minutes from Murray and Mills). I don't know if Pop feels like Sam can play the three (though remember he said he thought Metu could, so it's possible). I do think he will consider playing Sam and Gay as the forwards without specific thought to who is playing what and see if it works. Sure, that's two PFs, but Pop routinely played two centers together back when he had three rotation-caliber guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tired of drafting guys who "might contribute in 3 years"... get guys who can play now. it's not like pro-ready players are also simultaneously immune from development.

its one thing to waste a pick on a guy who ends up a bust or injured, its another thing altogether to waste a pick on a guy like milutinov
    Capillaries in my eyes burst every time I think of the 2015 draft. I've never been more upset about the Spurs in my life as I was when they wasted their pick on Milutinov.

I'm a bit more neutral on getting raw player though. I straight up don't believe in the idea of players being X years away. It's not a thing. Players that make it should be able to do SOMETHING their rookie years. Giannis was a net-negative player as a rookie, but he still averaged almost a double-double per 36. He wasn't ghastly like Cabocolo was. Siakam was a good defender at jumpstreet. Jokic came into the league as a big net-positive. So I'm a firm believer that if Poke, Precious, Williams or any other raw player is going to become a star that they'll be good enough to make the rotation straight out of the lower levels. The d-league makes sense when you have a really talented squad and can't afford to have a guy grow on the job. It doesn't make sense to pencil in Austin time when there are so many soft spots on the roster.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just want to reiterate that Luka Sandwich will never be as good as Brandon Clarke. Never ever ever ever

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just want to reiterate that Luka Sandwich will never be as good as Brandon Clarke. Never ever ever ever
    I’ll take that bet homie......how much??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capillaries in my eyes burst every time I think of the 2015 draft. I've never been more upset about the Spurs in my life as I was when they wasted their pick on Milutinov.

I'm a bit more neutral on getting raw player though. I straight up don't believe in the idea of players being X years away. It's not a thing. Players that make it should be able to do SOMETHING their rookie years. Giannis was a net-negative player as a rookie, but he still averaged almost a double-double per 36. He wasn't ghastly like Cabocolo was. Siakam was a good defender at jumpstreet. Jokic came into the league as a big net-positive. So I'm a firm believer that if Poke, Precious, Williams or any other raw player is going to become a star that they'll be good enough to make the rotation straight out of the lower levels. The d-league makes sense when you have a really talented squad and can't afford to have a guy grow on the job. It doesn't make sense to pencil in Austin time when there are so many soft spots on the roster.
    Jokic spent a year in Europe. That’s sort of Austinish.

Giannis WAS, in fact, two years away, whether you like it or not. Almost a double double per 36. CROFL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with objective that Lyles is basically a gate-keeper for a young PF. Pop probably knows and is comfortable with what Lyles brings, but it's not to the point where he can't be unseated. We could easily see a situation like Walker/Beli were Pop keeps giving the young PF chances to unseat the vet but always keeps one foot in the vet's corner ready to switch back at a moment's notice.

I really think there will be some type of trade that could affect where the Spurs are drafting. My gut tells me that at least one of Gay/DeRozan/Lyles will be gone next season, leaving room for Sam or a drafted PF. But just as with you, I could definitely be wrong.

Then Sam would be the 11th man who gets minutes from all three front-court positions (with the loser of Walker/Johnson getting some minutes from Murray and Mills). I don't know if Pop feels like Sam can play the three (though remember he said he thought Metu could, so it's possible). I do think he will consider playing Sam and Gay as the forwards without specific thought to who is playing what and see if it works. Sure, that's two PFs, but Pop routinely played two centers together back when he had three rotation-caliber guys.
    To me Lyles is the crucial piece next season. We will see how much better he gets in a second year in the Spurs system as well as how much better he can be on the defensive end with better perimeter defenders (hopefully), and then offensively what amount of more open 3s he gets with the kind of drive and kick faced paced game we saw in the bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me Lyles is the crucial piece next season. We will see how much better he gets in a second year in the Spurs system as well as how much better he can be on the defensive end with better perimeter defenders (hopefully), and then offensively what amount of more open 3s he gets with the kind of drive and kick faced paced game we saw in the bubble.
    on the Hornets?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is young enough that there's a chance he could make a mini-leap next season and become a low-end starting-caliber PF.

I don't think it's particularly likely but he knows the system, is only owed $5.5M next season if the Spurs keep him, and doesn't affect the Spurs' ability to sign a FA unless they start bumping up against the tax. As of right now I hope the Spurs keep him around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is young enough that there's a chance he could make a mini-leap next season and become a low-end starting-caliber PF.

I don't think it's particularly likely but he knows the system, is only owed $5.5M next season if the Spurs keep him, and doesn't affect the Spurs' ability to sign a FA unless they start bumping up against the tax. As of right now I hope the Spurs keep him around.
    Exactly my position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic spent a year in Europe. That’s sort of Austinish.

Giannis WAS, in fact, two years away, whether you like it or not. Almost a double double per 36. CROFL.
    Giannis played 24 MPG as a rookie. It's not like he had a couple of garbage-time stints in a d-league season. It's crazy that you think it's funny, or that a guy being an NBA player as a rookie is what "two years away" means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's definitely not a crucial piece. Like you can't have 10 crucial pieces on a lottery team, and Lyles is well behind at least DMDR, LMA, Gay and White, with guys like Poeltl, Johnson, Murray and Walker being on the same tier. Sure, he can play somewhat better, and I hope he does. But that's true over every player on the team. Whether it's by him playing better or by the team getting a better player, Trey's performance on the team is definitely open for an upgrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not crucial. Murray, Keldon and Walker are the crucial pieces who can raise this teams ceiling. A lot will come down to them improving their game. Lyles shouldn't even be here, unless we trade Rudy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy is done he had a good game in the bubble but his body can not hold up to a whole season. But I don’t see the Spurs moving him which is re ed if they don’t even try would like to give him a chance to ring he is a good guy. I see Lyles as a decent backup they have for one more year to see what he can offer in his second year but make no mistake he is not a starting PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's definitely not a crucial piece. Like you can't have 10 crucial pieces on a lottery team, and Lyles is well behind at least DMDR, LMA, Gay and White, with guys like Poeltl, Johnson, Murray and Walker being on the same tier. Sure, he can play somewhat better, and I hope he does. But that's true over every player on the team. Whether it's by him playing better or by the team getting a better player, Trey's performance on the team is definitely open for an upgrade.
    I meant his position, not him so much. I then went onto elaborate as to why I hoped he could make some strides into becoming a more well rounded player.

A Lyles that balls out changes the complexion of this team completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis played 24 MPG as a rookie. It's not like he had a couple of garbage-time stints in a d-league season. It's crazy that you think it's funny, or that a guy being an NBA player as a rookie is what "two years away" means.
    I was more laughing at your contorting yourself around ‘almost a double double per 36’. That doesn’t really mean a lot when your actuals are 6.8/4.4 on a terrible team. You can be playing NBA minutes, and still be two years away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was more laughing at your contorting yourself around ‘almost a double double per 36’. That doesn’t really mean a lot when your actuals are 6.8/4.4 on a terrible team. You can be playing NBA minutes, and still be two years away.
    You can't be playing NBA minutes and be two years away from being an NBA player. Guys who get that distinction aren't role-players who just aren't stars yet. No one's talking about Jaxson Hayes as being two years away. No one says that about Mo Bamba. They say it about guys like Edy Tavares who've gone most of their lives without touching a basketball.

As far as the "almost double-double", I think I misread the rebounds. I didn't think it was like 10/7. Thought it was more like 10 and 9. Think my eyes saw the per-100 rebounding stat.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to guess the roles of our young big men next year is hard for me to consider knowing that LMA is still on the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sure, but Samanic more than likely either isn't ready or even if he is, will be blocked anyway next season. Lyles was signed to be bridge to when Samanic hopefully becomes a rotation player. Pop went out of his way multiple times to compliment Lyles, which is obviously unusual for him.

Maybe, but whether they trade up or not, I don't see them selecting a four.

With the exception of Murray not starting, that's probably the odds on favorite for the rotation. I don't remember the Metu comment but if he really said that, then it's just another indication of how checked out/senile he's become. Who knows, maybe Samanic makes a quantum leap and forces their hand the way Johnson appears to be doing . . . I just don't see it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand this whole "the spurs might want to get under the tax" thing people run with because after this season over half of the teams payroll is gone between LMA, DDR, Mills, and Rudy. The spurs are not going to be paying the repeater tax this year. It just doesn't make any sense to make a bunch of moves to do cap gymnastics so you can avoid the tax this year when you will have plenty of ways to NOT be in the tax next year if you choose to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand this whole "the spurs might want to get under the tax" thing people run with because after this season over half of the teams payroll is gone between LMA, DDR, Mills, and Rudy. The spurs are not going to be paying the repeater tax this year. It just doesn't make any sense to make a bunch of moves to do cap gymnastics so you can avoid the tax this year when you will have plenty of ways to NOT be in the tax next year if you choose to
    Small market team. Not a playoff team. We’re not owned by Cuban. The managing partners are the Holts, who sell and lease heavy equipment.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small market team. Not a playoff team. We’re not owned by Cuban. The managing partners are the Holts, who sell and lease heavy equipment.
    I can't think of one season since the Holt's took over that they have operated as a we have to be under the cap by any means necessary team...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7. SAN ANTONIO SPURS: SIX TIMES

Among teams in the top half of this list, the Spurs have the second-lowest total amount of luxury tax paid at $17.5 million. Even so, they have won two les in the six years they paid the tax. Talk about efficient.
    Total amount: $17.5 million
    Record in tax seasons: 348-128 (73.1 percent)
    Playoffs in tax seasons: Six appearances, two championships, 13 series won

Thread Information