Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I'll get to you in a couple of years when teams field one super athletic token LB and nothing else. It won't be the first nor the last ocassion time has proven me to be right, tbh. This feels like going back to '09 when I signed to ST and I had to argue with folks about who was better between Manu and Joe Johnson. " Johnson averages 25 ppg, he's clearly better "
    you also claim Manning > Brady which is a lot more relevant seeing that we’re talking about football.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    They beat him by "power running" or by throwing for 350 yards?
    They ran more than they passed. They dominated time of possession, and limited Mahomes’ opportunities, which only happens with a good running game. But no, Mr Argentina, keep telling us how you understand American football better than Bill Belichick

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    you also claim Manning > Brady which is a lot more relevant seeing that we’re talking about football.
    If you had asked me in 2013 or 2014... Manning or Brady... I would definitely have said Manning, even with only 1 ring instead of 3, seeing as how the Broncos offense was unstoppable and they seemed pretty much inevitably likely to win at least one ring in the near future from there. Not to mention Brady's first 3 rings being greatly assisted by the top defense and special teams.

But Brady's final not 1, not 2, but 3 rings in the 2010's vaulted him over Manning (even though Manning did get 1 more ring sandwiched in there) and catapulted Brady beyond the point of argument. 6 > 2 and the legacy isn't even close when you factor in longevity, underdog status to even rise to fame, etc. Manning was a front runner and a regular season champion, but Brady was the best when it mattered most.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    If you had asked me in 2013 or 2014... Manning or Brady... I would definitely have said Manning, even with only 1 ring instead of 3, seeing as how the Broncos offense was unstoppable and they seemed pretty much inevitably likely to win at least one ring in the near future from there. Not to mention Brady's first 3 rings being greatly assisted by the top defense and special teams.

But Brady's final not 1, not 2, but 3 rings in the 2010's vaulted him over Manning (even though Manning did get 1 more ring sandwiched in there) and catapulted Brady beyond the point of argument. 6 > 2 and the legacy isn't even close when you factor in longevity, underdog status to even rise to fame, etc. Manning was a front runner and a regular season champion, but Brady was the best when it mattered most.
    Manning’s 2006 Super Bowl was aided by good defense more than Brady was. He threw 7 ing interceptions in 4 playoff games.

If Manning had closed out the 2013 season with a Super Bowl win Id have given him the nod at that point, but instead he went out and failed in spectaculat fashion. Then after 2014 there was never an argument ever again.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Manning’s 2006 Super Bowl was aided by good defense more than Brady was. He threw 7 ing interceptions in 4 playoff games.

If Manning had closed out the 2013 season with a Super Bowl win Id have given him the nod at that point, but instead he went out and failed in spectaculat fashion. Then after 2014 there was never an argument ever again.
    yeah even against the best defense of the generation, Manning putting up a complete stinker with the kind of stacked offensive weapons he had in the 13-14 season was inexcusable. That Seattle defense was amazing but they gave up 30+ to Andrew Luck, 24 to a lousy winless Tampa team, gave up 20 to Matt Schaub, etc in the 2013 le run. No way Fivehead gets a pass for only putting up 8 points (and those were all in garbage time) against them.

Brady is clearly the better legacy by far. Brady > Manning no matter how he does in Tampa.

But I also don't buy the argument that Brady beat the same exact defense in '14-15 that Manning completely thudded against in '13-14. It was clear from early on in the 2014 season that the Seattle defense were not quite the same, not just that they had lost a few players but also that even the best players on that team lost a lot of their swagger and jubilance from the 2012 and (especially) 2013 campaigns. They were still great but they weren't the same team in 2014. Sort of like the Lakers in 2002 or 2003 who were much more vulnerable than the unstoppable 2000 and 2001 versions that were full of swagger and confidence.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    yeah even against the best defense of the generation, Manning putting up a complete stinker with the kind of stacked offensive weapons he had in the 13-14 season was inexcusable. That Seattle defense was amazing but they gave up 30+ to Andrew Luck, 24 to a lousy winless Tampa team, gave up 20 to Matt Schaub, etc in the 2013 le run. No way Fivehead gets a pass for only putting up 8 points (and those were all in garbage time) against them.

Brady is clearly the better legacy by far. Brady > Manning no matter how he does in Tampa.

But I also don't buy the argument that Brady beat the same exact defense in '14-15 that Manning completely thudded against in '13-14. It was clear from early on in the 2014 season that the Seattle defense were not quite the same, not just that they had lost a few players but also that even the best players on that team lost a lot of their swagger and jubilance from the 2012 and (especially) 2013 campaigns. They were still great but they weren't the same team in 2014. Sort of like the Lakers in 2002 or 2003 who were much more vulnerable than the unstoppable 2000 and 2001 versions that were full of swagger and confidence.
    They weren’t the same defense but they werent 20 points per game worse than the 2013 Seahawks defense was (really 28 since the 8 points Manning scores were after the Seahawks had gone to soft zone coverage).

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    They weren’t the same defense but they werent 20 points per game worse than the 2013 Seahawks defense was (really 28 since the 8 points Manning scores were after the Seahawks had gone to soft zone coverage).
    They were significantly worse. If Brady had won the AFCCG in 2013, the Pats still would have lost big, but probably more like 34-17 instead of 43-8. That Seahawks defense was on a whole different planet in 2013. In 2014 they were still the best on Earth though, and props to Brady for getting past that. The injury to the nickel corner near the beginning of the game really helped, and props to Brady/McDaniels for exploiting that like the Chris Paul double screen against the Spurs in the '15 playoffs.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    It was also the first Super Bowl played in cold weather - New Jersey

Aiding the defensive Seahawks

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count

poor little Peyton can’t play in cold weather

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

2014-15

Seattle didn't really belong in SB 49. Green Bay and the Cowboys were obviously way, way better than them in 2014, but lost out due to a bogus tiebreaker, and the DAL-GB game was the real NFCCG that year and decided on a 50/50 catch/no-catch call. But Green Bay was obviously so superior to the Seahawks in the actual canon NFCCG that year it wasn't funny, but Mike McCarthy kept shooting the Packers in the foot by going Full Jason Garrett, and the Packers' firm hold on that game fell apart at the bitter end.

Should have been the Brady-Rodgers super bowl, aka the one that never happened.

Never go Full Jason Garrett. The one guy that goes Full Jason Garrett when it matters most is.... Mike McCarthy.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    poor little Peyton can’t play in cold weather
    Meanwhile, ol' Thomas drives the team downfield with a vengeance in cold, snow, rain, ice... whatever it takes.

The one type of weather he curiously was historically terrible in was heat and humidity. Which never affected his Patriots teams too much because of the course of nature of the NFL season..... but it will be curious to see if he doesn't peter out now that his home stadium is outdoors in a tropical rainforest environment.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    2014-15

Seattle didn't really belong in SB 49. Green Bay and the Cowboys were obviously way, way better than them in 2014, but lost out due to a bogus tiebreaker, and the DAL-GB game was the real NFCCG that year and decided on a 50/50 catch/no-catch call. But Green Bay was obviously so superior to the Seahawks in the actual canon NFCCG that year it wasn't funny, but Mike McCarthy kept shooting the Packers in the foot by going Full Jason Garrett, and the Packers' firm hold on that game fell apart at the bitter end.

Should have been the Brady-Rodgers super bowl, aka the one that never happened.

Never go Full Jason Garrett. The one guy that goes Full Jason Garrett when it matters most is.... Mike McCarthy.

The Cardinals were also better before Carson Palmtree tore his ACL, I think they were like 9-1 at that point.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The Cardinals were also better before Carson Palmtree tore his ACL, I think they were like 9-1 at that point.
    Yep and once they were down to their 3rd or 4th string QB they were hapless and lost to a ghastly 7-9 division winner in the NFC South that year.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Patriots sign Hoyer

Certainly doesn’t seem like they’re trying to compete next year.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Patriots sign Hoyer

Hoyer is the type of QB who can win 6 games out of his ass (see 2014 Browns season), especially in that awful AFC East division, and it will stop the Patriots from tanking. Progress stopper all the way. Belichick if he is the starter in 2020

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Patriots sign Hoyer

Don't underestimate Hoyer da GAWD.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    new look

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Just go back to the old school uniforms, those don't look very good.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    raiders mariota contract is interesting. its actually a 2 year deal (thought it would be one year)

the simple terms are 2 years, 17.6 mil, with only 1 year (7.5 mil) guaranteed. but there are load of escalators and incentives (if he sees 60% of snaps, playoff/superbowl appearances) that could jack it up to 2 years 47.5 mil

its a good structure, tbh... worst case, he's an expensive backup (but a high end one)... but having him under contract for a second year also makes him a trade asset. and even if he overachieves, becomes a full time starter, they have him locked up for next season as well

i dont think he's an NFL starter, though. think they just want to light a fire under Carr's ass, which i'm ok with.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-23-2020 at 04:34 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Frederick retired. Brutal.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Frederick retired. Brutal.
    that's a huge hit off the cap to sign some other big name, and Looney was just as good in 2018, and Joe Looney is locked up for us for awhile on a cheap deal and he's a very solid starter. Did not give up a single sack as a 16-game starter in 2018. For comparison, Frederick gave up 2 sacks on Romo in the same game in week 2 of his first year as a starter (2013) to (the newest Cowboy) Dontari Poe, then of the Chiefs.

Frederick was the best center in football from 2014-2016 but he hasn't been the same guy since. Glad he got rich while he could.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    that's a huge hit off the cap to sign some other big name, and Looney was just as good in 2018, and Joe Looney is locked up for us for awhile on a cheap deal and he's a very solid starter. Did not give up a single sack as a 16-game starter in 2018. For comparison, Frederick gave up 2 sacks on Romo in the same game in week 2 of his first year as a starter (2013) to (the newest Cowboy) Dontari Poe, then of the Chiefs.

Frederick was the best center in football from 2014-2016 but he hasn't been the same guy since. Glad he got rich while he could.
    Currently 11 mill against the cap this year. 650k relief so that is untrue.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Currently 11 mill against the cap this year. 650k relief so that is untrue.
    Yeah but all the dead cap is this year, so he won't count against the cap beyond 2020.

I still think it's ed that retired players should count against the cap. They should be exempt, but they should be forced to remain retired for at least 3 years.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    newton getting cut

nobody wanted to trade for him

Thread Information