Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green is a much better player inside the arc than Huestis. Let that sink in.
    Danny Green didn't start off as a reliable outside threat. Huestis just really needs a niche to find in his offensive game, doesn't have to be an all around scoring threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His best case is a two way contract out of camp. That means he can do minimal damage, only being able to spend 45 days with the big club. Oh, and guarding someone is different than blocking them out and keeping them off of the glass. They'll do that.

You also misunderstood me. The Spurs like 3 point shooters because they space the floor, but that's not his issue. He has no jumper at all. Not from 15 feet. Not from 10 feet. Not from 5 feet. He's never made an NBA FG between 10-16 feet. Never. He shoots 10% from 3-10 feet.

Huestis
    Can't
    ing
    Shoot.
    I’ve never seen Bruce shot 15, 10 nor 5 footers. And those Danny floaters? Yikes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green didn't start off as a reliable outside threat. Huestis just really needs a niche to find in his offensive game, doesn't have to be an all around scoring threat.
    Danny Green started off much better than Huestis. I don't know what people are thinking, but Danny was essentially the same player he was for the Spurs when the was in college.

In his last season at UNC, Green averaged 13/5/3 with a combined blocks/steals of over 3 and on 41-percent shooting from three en route to an NCAA le. He was easily the best defensive player on that team, but he was also the fourth-best offensive player. He was much better than Huestis was in college.

Anyways, I think you should read my post again. Green is obviously and has always been better OUTSIDE the arc. But people don't realize that he is and has been much better than Huestis INSIDE the arc as well. Green at his worst could still finish better, pull-up better and make plays better than Huestis has ever done. It's frankly insulting to Danny to assert he was anywhere near as bad as Josh was. Green was an NBA-caliber player with at ude problems and a perceived lack of upside. Huestis isn't an NBA player. It's very different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve never seen Bruce shot 15, 10 nor 5 footers. And those Danny floaters? Yikes!
    And yet, Green shoots floaters WAY better than Huestis does. It literally doesn't matter how bad you think Green was/is. Huestis is a lot worse. That's what exstatic has been trying to drive home. Huestis isn't Green. He's not on the same track. He doesn't have the same strengths and weaknesses as Danny did. He's much closer to Julian Washburn or Ralph Putney than he is to Danny.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet, Green shoots floaters WAY better than Huestis does. It literally doesn't matter how bad you think Green was/is. Huestis is a lot worse. That's what exstatic has been trying to drive home. Huestis isn't Green. He's not on the same track. He doesn't have the same strengths and weaknesses as Danny did. He's much closer to Julian Washburn or Ralph Putney than he is to Danny.
    I agree, comparing with Green isn't the right one in terms of development. He already could shoot. Now Bruce Bowen and Leonard couldn't shoot and that's where the hope is that Chip can make Heustis into a better shooter. What's the harm in hoping that Chip can create a miracle? I'm saying that Heustis has size and speed that's needed for defense and I'm hoping he can shoot well enough.

Robserson's free throw percentage is 0.316, his 3 point percentage last year was .222!!!

Heustis 3 point % in the g-league was 0.385.... we know the Spurs take only open shots... I don't know what kind of shots they take at OKC... not unreasonable to assume that he can shoot better in a Spurs offensive setup playing as a 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen shot .363 from the field before the Spurs picked him up. He was already 30 years old and had played 7 years in the NBA.
    Bowen is an outlier, historically wings in their mid-twenties who are poor 3pt and also FT shooters (considered predictive) almost never become good 3pt shooters.

DeMarre Carrol and Bowen are the only ones that I can think of Huestis getting there isn't likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, comparing with Green isn't the right one in terms of development. He already could shoot. Now Bruce Bowen and Leonard couldn't shoot and that's where the hope is that Chip can make Heustis into a better shooter. What's the harm in hoping that Chip can create a miracle? I'm saying that Heustis has size and speed that's needed for defense and I'm hoping he can shoot well enough.

Robserson's free throw percentage is 0.316, his 3 point percentage last year was .222!!!

Heustis 3 point % in the g-league was 0.385.... we know the Spurs take only open shots... I don't know what kind of shots they take at OKC... not unreasonable to assume that he can shoot better in a Spurs offensive setup playing as a 3.
    What good is taking open 3s when he flat out can't shoot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen joined the Spurs on his 7th season in the NBA. In his previous season he shot .336 from 3 point.

So don't count out a potential 3 and D player for the Spurs because of his age and previous lack of production.

Besides, Heustis obviously has above average defense. So if we got Murray who can't shoot, then why not Heustis (who is bigger) who also can't shoot?

Sure, you'll always take one more guy who can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen joined the Spurs on his 7th season in the NBA. In his previous season he shot .336 from 3 point.

So don't count out a potential 3 and D player for the Spurs because of his age and previous lack of production.

Besides, Heustis obviously has above average defense. So if we got Murray who can't shoot, then why not Heustis (who is bigger) who also can't shoot?
    Murray was 19 when drafted. Huestis is rapidly approaching 27. That's a BIG ing difference.

There's a reason that NCAA seniors usually fall in the draft. They may be more NBA ready, but your upside shrinks and then disappears as you add years to your age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray was 19 when drafted. Huestis is rapidly approaching 27. That's a BIG ing difference.

There's a reason that NCAA seniors usually fall in the draft. They may be more NBA ready, but your upside shrinks and then disappears as you add years to your age.
    ”rapidly” turning 27....quit being so dramatic. Ya gotta chill out with your hyperbole. Dude is coming training camp, not a multi year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ”rapidly” turning 27....quit being so dramatic. Ya gotta chill out with your hyperbole. Dude is coming training camp, not a multi year deal.
    You didn't address the main point: that there is a BIG difference in training up a 19 year old and a 26 year old who's already had chances, and failed pretty hard in both the NBA and the g-league.

The hyperbole is fools comparing him to Danny and Bruce. THAT is beyond ridiculous. Bruce was a very good euro-league player, and shot 36% from NBA 3 before getting here. Danny was a 20ppg scorer who shot 45/45/80 in the g-league. There was something, some NBA skill on O, even if it was just corner 3s, that showed they belonged in the NBA. Huestis hasn't even shown that he belongs in the g-league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't address the main point: that there is a BIG difference in training up a 19 year old and a 26 year old who's already had chances, and failed pretty hard in both the NBA and the g-league.

The hyperbole is fools comparing him to Danny and Bruce. THAT is beyond ridiculous. Bruce was a very good euro-league player, and shot 36% from NBA 3 before getting here. Danny was a 20ppg scorer who shot 45/45/80 in the g-league. There was something, some NBA skill on O, even if it was just corner 3s, that showed they belonged in the NBA. Huestis hasn't even shown that he belongs in the g-league.
    Huestis looks like he has potential to be a hustle and D guy with some skills sprinkled in the inside game. Guys like Robert Horry and Reggie Evans comes to mind. I'm still boggled Robert Horry's stats look like utter trash but he was a very important player on the teams he played for. Not all of our roster guys need to be potential scorers and more etc.. Sometimes a guy like Huestis will play 30 mpg gaurding guys like Antetokounpo, PG, Harden, etc and some games I imagine he'll get DNP. He's worth a look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huestis looks like he has potential to be a hustle and D guy with some skills sprinkled in the inside game. Guys like Robert Horry and Reggie Evans comes to mind. I'm still boggled Robert Horry's stats look like utter trash but he was a very important player on the teams he played for. Not all of our roster guys need to be potential scorers and more etc.. Sometimes a guy like Huestis will play 30 mpg gaurding guys like Antetokounpo, PG, Harden, etc and some games I imagine he'll get DNP. He's worth a look.
    He finishes at 50% in the restricted area, which is pathetic. He shoots 24% from the FT line. If he's playing NBA minutes at all, we're screwed.

Reggie Evans would be nearly unplayable in today's NBA. Robert Horry was a first round draft pick, and I challenge you to compare his 'trash' stats with Huestis. Horry didn't exactly pan out and become a star, but his stats were anything but trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He finishes at 50% in the restricted area, which is pathetic. He shoots 24% from the FT line. If he's playing NBA minutes at all, we're screwed.

Reggie Evans would be nearly unplayable in today's NBA. Robert Horry was a first round draft pick, and I challenge you to compare his 'trash' stats with Huestis. Horry didn't exactly pan out and become a star, but his stats were anything but trash.
    The point I was making is that Horry's value was much greater than his stats showed. Huestis is one guy and the Spurs need a wing defender badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point I was making is that Horry's value was much greater than his stats showed. Huestis is one guy and the Spurs need a wing defender badly.
    They badly need his defensive ability, but they just-as-badly need to avoid his offensive short-comings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They badly need his defensive ability, but they just-as-badly need to avoid his offensive short-comings.
    Last year, I would agree but this year our offense should be much better. Wing defense is what is lacking most this year. Admittedly we would only use him sparingly I'm guessing unless our offense is clicking on all cylinders and can mask his deficiencies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have just signed Hanga and called it a day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horry, at least in his Spurs years had a tendency to half-ass it during the RS. I actually rewatched that game 7 4th quarter of the Spurs-Pistons game 7 and actually forgot how good playoff Horry was. He was mobile, lanky, could switch or show and recover on D and with Manu and Bowen gave the Spurs spacing on offense for Duncan to operate down low or Parker to drive.

Horrry's advanced numbers were off the charts in the playoffs and serviceable during the season

RS (322 Games for the Spurs)

13.4 P.E.R
    +10 Net Rtg
    .144 Win Shares per 48
    .50 TS%

PS (79 Games for the Spurs)

14.9 P.E.R
    +16 Net Rtg
    .157 Win Share per 48 minutes
    .560 TS%

Comparing Huestis to Horry is baffling. They don't even play the same position and Horry. Plus Horry played in a different era, he retired 10 seasons ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horry, at least in his Spurs years had a tendency to half-ass it during the RS. I actually rewatched that game 7 4th quarter of the Spurs-Pistons game 7 and actually forgot how good playoff Horry was. He was mobile, lanky, could switch or show and recover on D and with Manu and Bowen gave the Spurs spacing on offense for Duncan to operate down low or Parker to drive.

Horrry's advanced numbers were off the charts in the playoffs and serviceable during the season

RS (322 Games for the Spurs)

13.4 P.E.R
    +10 Net Rtg
    .144 Win Shares per 48
    .50 TS%

PS (79 Games for the Spurs)

14.9 P.E.R
    +16 Net Rtg
    .157 Win Share per 48 minutes
    .560 TS%

Comparing Huestis to Horry is baffling. They don't even play the same position and Horry. Plus Horry played in a different era, he retired 10 seasons ago.
    Huestis has not had the chance to have enough NBA minutes to go purely off advanced stats yet. Point is Horry's value to a team was greater than his stats. True or not? Huestis is not on Horry's level but the way they could use him like a Andre Roberson, a good team can mask Huestis's deficiencies while on the floor when Huestis's defense is needed.

Spurs are playing a swiss army knife approach with players now needing certain players to make up wholes in their roster. Right now our biggest hole is wing defense. Why not bring in the guy who might be the best wing defender? If our other pieces work out the way they should Huestis is a possibility over the other guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huestis has not had the chance to have enough NBA minutes to go purely off advanced stats yet. Point is Horry's value to a team was greater than his stats. True or not? Huestis is not on Horry's level but the way they could use him like a Andre Roberson, a good team can mask Huestis's deficiencies while on the floor when Huestis's defense is needed.

Spurs are playing a swiss army knife approach with players now needing certain players to make up wholes in their roster. Right now our biggest hole is wing defense. Why not bring in the guy who might be the best wing defender? If our other pieces work out the way they should Huestis is a possibility over the other guys.
    I agree, one big hole is 'wing defense'. Manu said it best about Bruce Bowen. Bowen allowed money to save his energy by not having to guard the best offensive player on the other team. I don't expect DeRozan or Gay to have enough energy guarding the Durants and LeBrons of this league. Pondexter might not be healthy enough and Cunningham may not have to foot speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because having a wing that can't do anything other than defend is sort of like going to by just nails at a hardware store, it's inconvenient. Also, Roberson is one of the best defensive wings in the NBA, if Huestis were that good he'd have a guaranteed deal- even if it were on a cheap deal. We don't know if he is even that good to merit a roster spot or a two way.

Anderson and Murray both fit a similar bill last season, though they did have other skills. As a result Pop had to tinker with the lineups to find a way to keep both on the floor at the same time without getting killed offensively.

Is there a realistic lineup that Huestis could play in where is not a problem offensively? If we are talking about 1 sided wings, I'd rather have Belinelli play than Huestis, he is far better at his side of the ball than Huestis is at his.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because having a wing that can't do anything other than defend is sort of like going to by just nails at a hardware store, it's inconvenient. Also, Roberson is one of the best defensive wings in the NBA, if Huestis were that good he'd have a guaranteed deal- even if it were on a cheap deal. We don't know if he is even that good to merit a roster spot or a two way.

Anderson and Murray both fit a similar bill last season, though they did have other skills. As a result Pop had to tinker with the lineups to find a way to keep both on the floor at the same time without getting killed offensively.

Is there a realistic lineup that Huestis could play in where is not a problem offensively? If we are talking about 1 sided wings, I'd rather have Belinelli play than Huestis, he is far better at his side of the ball than Huestis is at his.
    We are talking about the 15th man on the roster. I trust the coaches will evaluate the team and make the right choice. No one else stands out honestly. We need a defensive wing. Andre Roberson makes $12M/yr too. Huestis is looking at a minimum of just above that and possibly not playing most games. Seems dumb to scrutinize him taking a training camp spot when he could be the best defensive wing for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are talking about the 15th man on the roster. I trust the coaches will evaluate the team and make the right choice. No one else stands out honestly. We need a defensive wing. Andre Roberson makes $12M/yr too. Huestis is looking at a minimum of just above that and possibly not playing most games. Seems dumb to scrutinize him taking a training camp spot when he could be the best defensive wing for us.
    I don't know what Blossomgame is in the NBA but I would much rather have him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what Blossomgame is in the NBA but I would much rather have him.
    I’d rather have Okaro White than Huestis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 15th position is up for grabs between these SFs:

Pondexter
    Heustis
    O. White
    Blossomgame

The two way contract is available only to:

Heustis
    Blossomgame

Let's see who comes out of this 'hunger games' scenario.

Thread Information