Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me:

Joseph- Best player on the court. Love his aggression. Better shooter than he's given credit for, and super quick and a pretty good ball handler. The one thing that he needs to improve is his passing. Sometimes he would drive and throw up a shot instead of finding the open man. When Parker drives, he is ALWAYS looking for someone to get open.

Thomas- Eh...he was alright. I know he scored like 18 points but he also shot a ton and like Timvp said, he really doesn't have an NBA body. I just don't know if we can handle having another non-athlete on this roster. He's a scorer and a baller, but for Thomas it's all about his conditioning and somehow getting him to commit to playing defense. At this point...if he played SF, he wouldn't be half as good as Kawhi. It would be a huge drop off when he came in.

De Colo- I really didn't like what I saw out of him. Either he doesn't care or he's just slow. I know Joseph was handling the ball up the court more and De Colo was playing off the ball, but still...it was just so obvious how much harder Joseph was hustling. At this moment, I almost wish we could somehow trade De Colo and open up another roster spot.

Baynes- God he was bad. I don't know what happened to the Baynes I watched in the Summer Olympics with the Australian National Team. He was an absolute beast there, and when the Spurs signed him I was jumping up and down with excitement. Baynes just looks flat out lost out there. Offensively he's just horrendous. He can't secure an offensive rebound to save his life. He can bang and hold his ground down low, but he's not a shot blocker. I thought he would dominate in this setting. I was wrong. I hope that Jim Boylen guy can work with him A LOT this summer. Baynes needs to get an edge to his game. Seriously. He just looks like a goofball out there.

Hollis Thompson- I really liked what I saw. I was surprised when I looked at the roster earlier today and saw him on it. I watched this guy at Georgetown, and he can really play. Loved his hustle, his rebounding, and he made some jump shots too. This was a good showing for him, and to me he's a dark horse to make the roster.

M'Baye- Wow this guy is athletic. We could use someone like him on our roster for sure, but I don't know if he can play outside or not. He just looked more mature out there though. At this point, Deshaun Thomas, Thompson, and M'baye are the clear frontrunners for that last roster spot. And if I had to pick one right now, it would be M'baye.

Everyone else- Ugh. Denmon is just too small, and if he can't shoot, dribble, or handle the ball on top of that then there's no way he'll ever play in the NBA. Richards is as soft as Splitter, and that's saying something. Not even worth mentioning anyone else. Oh, and Alex Wangmene, the worst player in the history of Texas basketball being on the team is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. But I get it. RC Burford's adopted son and all. But still!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he has potential to play the 3 in the Spurs system. Needs to work hard but I think he can either shed some weight and improve his defense. I mean if Gary Neal can lose his man constantly and keep a job
    He could play the three in small-ball lineups, where he could hide on the opposing team's worse player. Not only would be able to space the floor better than Leonard (allowing Kawhi to play inside the arc more), but he'd also be able to break out more of his game against guards.

One thing that was really good about him is that he moved a lot along the perimeter. The Spurs don't really have anyone who does that besides Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Ryan Richards has the skill set of an All-Star, but the IQ of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play the three in small-ball lineups, where he could hide on the opposing team's worse player. Not only would be able to space the floor better than Leonard (allowing Kawhi to play inside the arc more), but he'd also be able to break out more of his game against guards.

One thing that was really good about him is that he moved a lot along the perimeter. The Spurs don't really have anyone who does that besides Green.
    Yes he was active and he had some nice interior moves.. Pump fake, finish at the rim and pull up jumper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how great CoJo is at getting long/contested rebounds. He just jumps right behind the bigs and snags it away while the bigs are duking it out.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That GW fake and jumper sure looked like a Parker move. That's an outstanding sign for CJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unfair to judge baynes at this point considering the limited touches he was getting.

Him and Decolo just did not look motivatad at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how great CoJo is at getting long/contested rebounds. He just jumps right behind the bigs and snags it away while the bigs are duking it out.
    Fat Lever-esque, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write-up, timvp. I'm visiting family in Germany and cannot view the summer league games.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theyre all scrubs tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved Cory Joseph, as previous posters have pointed out, he looked like a leader! We need him to step up his game next year! Loved seeing that from him. I also wanted to talk about Richards, it pisses me off the coaches have him rotting overseas. This kid has unbelievable potential, but whenever I see him play, he just looks uncomfortable. You can tell he hasn't been in a setting that big before. He hustles, he showed surprising good strength, he just has no real experience against quality compe ion. I don't care how poor of stats he may put up in crappy leagues, if you get a player with his skillset and potential, you put him in the D League and work his butt off. I'm afraid the Spurs are wasting a possible golden opportunity with Richards. If he figures it out upstairs, then he'll be a great player.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph - I think it was a solid performance. Some of you have really big expectations from him, but just look at some guys that were drafter before him and they play even worse. On offense he was sometimes too aggressive and it looked like he's forcing his way to the basket, but I guess that's what the Spurs want to see from him. I'd love to see more passing from him, cause we need someone other than Manu from the bench that can make assists. Also I liked his leadership and he has matured quite a bit.

De Colo - He just looks depressed that he's got to play summer league. Overall I didn't like his game. The only think I kinda liked was his moving off the ball. But when he's handling the ball I don't have confidence in him. He just looks too big for a PG and as a SG he's got no chance to be in the rotation. His passes sometimes look nice, but man they are also very risky and it's like watching Manu on a bad turnover night. On defense I also wasn't impressed. Perhaps it's cause he's guarding bigger guys or it's just cause he doesn't give a . On this team with that many guard I just don't see him being played a lot, that's why he's for me the guard that could/should be traded.

Baynes - He looked stiff. His body is really big and I like how he hustles when rebounding. On defense he gets called for a lot of fouls and his pick n' roll moving also isn't that good. When he's defending out of the paint facing the offensive player with his face forward it feels just like when Bonner plays defense. He just needs to move better. On Offense he got like 4 touches so I can't really say anything about it. I do know he can shoot from outside the paint and they could use him in a pick n' pop situations. He did that in Europe but in the NBA he is not doing it. I want to see him get more touches next games.

Thomas - I didn't have high hopes for him, but he did pretty good. He showed that he can shoot and can get open. His ball handling is not good, but just look at the Spurs system and tell me who handles the ball all the time. It's either Tony or Manu. Even Kawhi isn't that good at it and he's been playing the SF position all the time. I don't even want to mention Green. I do think he will have to work a lot so that he can get used to play the 3 all the time, but I think he can do it. On defense he showed that he can guard bigger guys, but the Bobcats ones were pretty weak. I'd also want to see more rebounding from him, but for a debut and for a 57th pick it was a well played game.

Richards - Damn. I thought he was a lot slimmer. Didn't even recognize him. Gotta say he moves good for a big and it looks like he can shoot the ball from anywhere but he also sucks. I never thought he could play in the NBA, cause he's a nobody in Europe. Playing in Austrian league is even worse than playing in the D-league. His stats there are amazing but on the start of the season when he played in Poland league which is also nothing special he played pretty bad. Wouldn't mind sending him to the Toros if he doesn't signs with a better European club.

Denmon - Like we all know by now. Too short for a SG and can't handle the ball to play the PG. He did play good aggressive defense and I liked his energy, but that won't be enough. I even thought he could be someone like Neal and surprise us, but that won't happen. He is playing in a quality league in France and I believe he'll always be just an Euro player.

Thompson - Looked good. Played with a lot of energy and moved well. Could get a solid contract from Europe.

M'Baye - Athletic but too weak for the PF position. His movement on defense was pretty bad and he needs to grab some more rebounds.

Wangmene and Scott - Played too little.

It was an OK played game. Yes there were a lot of Turnovers, but that's expected. I thought the Bobcats were the favorites with MKG, Biyombo and Taylor which all started a lot of games for the Cats. Also with Zeller their teams is pretty stacked for the summer league, but they just didn't play well, other than Taylor and Biyombo's rebounding. MKG is really disappointing, for a 2nd pick he just doesn't look that good. Hope he learns to shoot the ball.
    Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 07-13-2013 at 05:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's weird to see such a high level compe ion in the summerleague.. de colo, baynes, cojo, zeller, mkg, biyombo, taylor.. anyway, i'm pleased with the development cojo is having, the others do not seem to be already prepared to play. For me the backup poing guard position battle, doesn't exist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp, Chinook, TheyCallMePro and Texas_Ranger for their thoughts.

If Thomas keep producing, Spurs should consider signing him with the rest of their MLE to a long term contract and spend the first year to transition his game and his body from PF to SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cojo doesn't look very good to me, he was unable to play the PnR or to even kick the ball out to shooters, even tried a lob to Baynes and that was an epic fail... He regularly ran into people instead of using the floater or passing the ball, looked like a D league player to me.

At this point I see a decent defender is all. De Colo ran the offense much better and was able to get the other scrubs good looks at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to evaluate the bigs with zero play run to involve them.

Baynes doesn't have much of a post game but he has a jumper and can play the PnR...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph played a competent game, great to see him continue to progress.

Thomas - the young man can shoot. Joel Meyers and Rick Fox sounded like a couple of you knuckleheads turning a late 2nd round Spurs pick into a "star."

Baynes - I do not get the jock sniffing that guy receives in this forum. Played entirely out of control, a bull in a china closet, and stupidly. And some of you wanted him to let Splitter to walk for him. smfh

De Colo - had his moments, but tried to force it a lot on the offensive end.

Thompson - liked his performance in this game, would like to see more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also Cojo 1/5 from 3, I heard people saying he was supposed to be a good 3 point shooter and I never saw it, he was tentative as in the playoffs passing up looks when Manu kicked the ball our to him... He's not a good shooter. When timvp said he liked his silky jumper and his passing I'm not sure what he watched sorry.

Baynes - I do not get the jock sniffing that guy receives in this forum. Played entirely out of control, a bull in a china closet, and stupidly. And some of you wanted him to let Splitter to walk for him. smfh
    He was +10 and was obviously the best defensive player... Now on offense if Cojo was a bit better maybe we'd have seen more... What we saw is his post game and it's not very good but that's it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes was dog last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter would have to use a ladder to get that high off the ground..lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes was dog last night.
    i thought baynes was pretty dominant on the boards and defense. offensively he wasn't given the ball at all. I don't know how you can blame him for that.

he crashes the boards hard. something we need. since we were 21st in the league in rebounding last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game is replaying on NBAtv right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn Pittman lost a lot of weight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, De Colo looked like a player who thought he was too good to play in the summer league. While I think that's mainly true, he didn't back it up with his play tonight. He was really aggressive on defense, which led to him fouling at an absurdly high rate. He also appeared to whine too much. He may need to go to another team to find greener pastures.
    For an international player, De Colo's at ude and misplaced self-confidence seems to mirror that of an American player. He really seems to think he's better than he actually is. If he was a player who, as Pop likes to say, has "gotten over himself", he would realize that he's got major work to do on his game to play at this level. He's not a good shooter and is a terrible defender, so he's already at a disadvantage. Instead of him taking every opportunity to try to get better, he seems insulted because he's not already a major rotation player. Get a clue, dude.

Thread Information