Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs owe the big 3 everything. Parker isn't going anywhere, just as it should be.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I feel like it's a roll of the dice...but it may be warranted.

Everyone has gotten enamored with the first half of Game 1, but...that still did not guarantee that we would beat the Warriors. What is even more disturbing, though...is how the team just completely fell apart without Kawhi.

That would not have happened with Duncan.

This team needs another leader who is hungry...and Paul fits the narrative.

Otherwise, we reload with what we have and hope for better luck next year.
    Smartest thing anyone has said on this forum in a few months. Just look at a couple of the Spurs-Thunder playoff matchups. In the later rounds the more talented team will almost always win, despite an egg here and there. They are Kawhi and a bunch of scrubs vs a stacked team.

yes you go after Paul...other than Kawhi and Murray that whole team is expendable.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No i disagree.

Pau needs to go, not Danny.

Spurs need as many good perimeter defenders as possible vs the only two teams that matter.
    This!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny is the most realistic, cap-friendly, trade-able asset on the roster. Would like to keep him but I think he would be the one to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like it's a roll of the dice...but it may be warranted.

Everyone has gotten enamored with the first half of Game 1, but...that still did not guarantee that we would beat the Warriors. What is even more disturbing, though...is how the team just completely fell apart without Kawhi.

That would not have happened with Duncan.

This team needs another leader who is hungry...and Paul fits the narrative.

Otherwise, we reload with what we have and hope for better luck next year.
    You're absolutely right about 2 things:

1. There is no guarantee that the Spurs would have won the series, BUT - Kawhi showed that he could guard KD better than anyone else in the playoffs so far. The Spurs took a couple of GS' punches and kept their cool. We all know that the last time KL was on the court, the lead was 23 points with 20 minutes left in the game.

I've maintained for a while that our roster was built to beat the Warriors - including having Pau. We weren't the fastest, best shooting team out there but we had the right game plan. As for Duncan and the outcome, go back & look at Game 3 of the 2001 WCF. Spurs lost by 39 points (72-111) in Los Angeles with a healthy TD & David Robinson. That was a young, prime Duncan, not what we saw against OKC last year. Fluke you say? Look at Game 4 of that same series. 29 point loss (111-82) with Tim scoring only 15 points.

2. Spurs need another leader who is hungry. I like that Paul is a vocal, high IQ player that is hungry to win a championship. I'd take a chance on him and hope he stays away from the strange injuries. He would have made Aldridge's life much easier with the Pick & Pop shots. We learned all too well that L can't post up or handle double teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs owe the big 3 everything. Parker isn't going anywhere, just as it should be.
    What? Why? Did they not get paid? Didn't the FO surround them with the right complimentary pieces to compete for a chip every year? Did Pop help each one of them extend their careers by limiting their minutes? You have 2 of the big 3 playing until they were at least 39 years old. That is amazing. TP just suffered a horrible injury that will rob him of whatever speed he had left. He was a very old 34 year old player with lots of miles on his body. The organization didn't give him too much heat when he wanted to play with his national team either.

It's time for TP to realize that its over. It would be great for him to retire without ever wearing another team's jersey but he seems to want to come back & play. Maybe he'll figure out soon that he just can't compete at an NBA level anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Paul wants to play with the Spurs and maximize his chances of getting a ring or two, he signs a 2 year deal around 25million to start. Opts out next year when Tony comes off. Spurs can then sign him to a max or near max 4 year deal with cap space. That would start somewhere around $35 million. It would give a five year total of $180 to 185 million vs $205 million for LAC. He would pay an additional $13.6 million in taxes by signing with LA so the total 5 year difference is $10 million give or take.

If he does this the Spurs can keep Parker (renounce him next year), keep Green, possibly resign Simmons.

Paul/Murray/Forbes/Post-op Parker
    Green/Simmons/5 minute-a-game Ginobili re-signed on a vet min
    KL/KA/Hanga
    Aldridge/Mulitunov
    David Lee/29 pick?/Splitter?

The fallacy of Paul having to leave $40 million on the table is only due to comparing a 5 year deal to a possible 4 year deal. If anything, the Clippers start off in the hole thanks to California's ridiculous 13.3% top state income tax rate. Allowing the Spurs to delay the max contract until next year when Tony would come off the books is better for everyone. It also allows the Spurs to treat Tony like they would want to. The only risk Paul would take is if there were a career ending injury this year which could be insured for, at least partially.
    Last edited by buttsR4rebounding; 06-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have made some good points in CP3's favor and some good points against him.

Here are two facts that seem to have been forgotten: CP3 is both undersized and unathletic, a tough combination.

I realize those two deficiencies are less problematic for a lead guard than for other positions.

Still he might be tough to hide on the court against Golden State.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have made some good points in CP3's favor and some good points against him.

Here are two facts that seem to have been forgotten: CP3 is both undersized and unathletic, a tough combination.

I realize those two deficiencies are less problematic for a lead guard than for other positions.

Still he might be tough to hide on the court against Golden State.
    Not any moreso that Parker would have been. Also, he does have good instincts as he is always among the league leaders in steals. And don't forget about his uncanny flopping ability! (Crap, I think he just read this and fell over.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if Chris Paul tells the Spurs he will sign with them, they gut the team to make room then he still goes back to LAC? Seems like a Clipper thing to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if Chris Paul tells the Spurs he will sign with them, they gut the team to make room then he still goes back to LAC? Seems like a Clipper thing to do.
    We'll take a fukin bat to his knees TBH.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The primary moves the Spurs have to make are renounce Patty, renounce Manu, dump Pau for no salary back. Not exactly gutting the team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk, imo. Secondly, I think its pretty safe to assume the Spurs will not overpay Patty or Dedmon. IF Manu comes back for another season, it will not be for 14 Mill. The Spurs need to tweak the roster to better themselves for next year. The complete collapse against GS without Kawhi Leonard on the floor was alarming. The one player I am not sure about is Simmons. How much does the coaching staff value him? Forget what the talking heads said about Simmons "About to get paid"...the coaching staff knows his true worth. A few good games does not make this guy irreplaceable. I remember the highlight reel plays but I also remember all the slip-ups. He was "Ok" and worth a raise but if you are the Spurs, you don't over-pay him. He's not worth it. His perimeter game is still suspect and he often plays out of control. Otherwise, he would have gotten more minutes throughout the year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk, imo. Secondly, I think its pretty safe to assume the Spurs will not overpay Patty or Dedmon. IF Manu comes back for another season, it will not be for 14 Mill. The Spurs need to tweak the roster to better themselves for next year. The complete collapse against GS without Kawhi Leonard on the floor was alarming. The one player I am not sure about is Simmons. How much does the coaching staff value him? Forget what the talking heads said about Simmons "About to get paid"...the coaching staff knows his true worth. A few good games does not make this guy irreplaceable. I remember the highlight reel plays but I also remember all the slip-ups. He was "Ok" and worth a raise but if your Spurs, you don't over-pay him. He's not worth it. His perimeter game is still suspect and he often plays out of control. Otherwise, he would have gotten more minutes throughout the year.
    I think Simmons value is likely as a back-up at the 2 and the 3. You can't pay him starter money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk, imo. Secondly, I think its pretty safe to assume the Spurs will not overpay Patty or Dedmon. IF Manu comes back for another season, it will not be for 14 Mill. The Spurs need to tweak the roster to better themselves for next year. The complete collapse against GS without Kawhi Leonard on the floor was alarming. The one player I am not sure about is Simmons. How much does the coaching staff value him? Forget what the talking heads said about Simmons "About to get paid"...the coaching staff knows his true worth. A few good games does not make this guy irreplaceable. I remember the highlight reel plays but I also remember all the slip-ups. He was "Ok" and worth a raise but if you are the Spurs, you don't over-pay him. He's not worth it. His perimeter game is still suspect and he often plays out of control. Otherwise, he would have gotten more minutes throughout the year.
    I have been in Simmons' corner since his first SL game. I love the flashes he has shown and the potential they promise. But he really seems to me like Lance Stephenson without the emotional baggage. Whether he could become a reliable, consistent player is a question that will be answered by another team at a high price. I would like to have him back at the right price, but some team will likely overpay him.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs will dump Manure, Gasol, Pity Mills, Deadman</3, Lee, and D-League?

Spurs fans should thank CP3 if he's the reason we avoid those terrible contracts....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is very much just an excuse. He's been "the best player" on a team with multiple All-Stars more than once. I don't care if each individual year there's some rationale for him not making it. He should have made it one of those years. That's all on him.
    What you call excuses, I call reasons. Griffin is the only elite player he's ever played with. Considering that, the lack of a top 2 team and the difficulty of the conference, I wouldn't say he "should have made it"; more like he could have made it.

Again, this is an excuse. If he's not good enough to be a first option, why are people trying to say he is? Those stats that make him seem like a top-five post-season player and this thread in general paint him out to be some no-brainer superstar for whom the team should bend over backwards. Those types of players get to the third round.
    Reality is, in the NBA, there's usually less than a handful of players at a given time capable of being the go to scorer on a championship team and it's almost impossible for a small guard to be it. Like Garnett, Paul can be the best all around player, but not the go to scorer. He's still a clear top 10 player though.

He already does that now. But instead of him going off like he did against Memphis, you'll get him being a taller version of Re . Would be great for Kawhi's TS%, but I doubt anyone but maybe me would be okay with him not going Kawhiso/Kawhichel.
    He'd get more with an elite play maker though and there's no chance he'd turn into Re . There would be more of a balance. Irving, for example, had a .8 edge on James in usage rate this season. I'd expect something similar, but Paul having it a lot is a good thing.

Aldridge not being a vagina (and Pop not enabling that) in the WCF would move the needle. You don't need a max PG for that. You need guys who can get buckets against good defense and guys who can defend players much better than them.
    No, it wouldn't. The team isn't talented enough and getting Paul would allow Aldridge to slide into his rightful place on a championships team: Heat Bosh or Cavs Love. Of course, he'd need to lose about 15 pounds and turn more mid rangers into 3's, too.

Most important is a healthy team where everyone is playing better. LMA's game was not hampered by a lack of a PG; it was hampered by piss-poor offense. Pop had one job to do as it pertained to getting LMA to play his best, and he couldn't ing do it. That only underscores why thinking Paul is going to be different is wrong-headed. Pop's going to end up with an offense that is 60-percent Paul dribbling, 30 percent Kawhiso and 10 percent LMA fadeaways. Long gone is the coach that actually leveraged his players' talents.
    Wrong. They didn't utilize him correctly. They tried to force feed him into being prime Duncan. For whatever reason(s), he clearly had trouble creating his own shot this season and would be better off spacing the floor, picking-and-popping and only posting up when there's a perceived mismatch.

Again, the detractors can nitpick this to death, but the salient question you all refuse to answer is: What's more likely to bring another championship in the foreseeable future?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is this team might be gutted without getting CP3.

Mills might leave.
    Deadmon most likely gone.
    Simmons might get poison pill contract.
    Manu retire.
    Who knows when Parker will be ready.
    Lee leaves for bigger contract.
    Unlikely, but Pau could opt out.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is this team might be gutted without getting CP3.

Mills might leave.
    Deadmon most likely gone.
    Simmons might get poison pill contract.
    Manu retire.
    Who knows when Parker will be ready.
    Lee leaves for bigger contract.
    Unlikely, but Pau could opt out.
    Some other team paying Pity Mills instead of us is a blessing
    Deadmon is easily replaceable
    Simmons will get Solomon Hill/Allen Crabbe money
    Manure retires? About time
    Parker will be better than ever in Feb
    Another ringchaser will take Lee's spot
    Pau will get traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons will get Solomon Hill/Allen Crabbe money
    Parker will be better than ever in Feb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs will dump Manure, Gasol, Pity Mills, Deadman</3, Lee, and D-League?

Spurs fans should thank CP3 if he's the reason we avoid those terrible contracts....
    If CP3 did do this nefarious deed you may find there is more putrid options out there than the names you mentioned.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs getting Chris Paul while mainting Green, and Aldridge would be a huge win. CP3 is the type of point guard Pop has always secretly wanted Parker to be IMO. Pop tried to mold Tony in the Avery Johnson mold but that was never who Parker was at first. It took him years to develop floor general skills while it seems Chris Paul came into the league with that mentality.

Chris Paul is a very ball dominant PG because he plays old school PG ball. Paul is Pops wet dream of what a PG should be in basketball. Tough, vocal, clutch and a never say die at ude. Im sure Tim Duncan thinks the world of Chris Paul as well. The Spurs have been successful despite of Parkers traditional PG skillset. Don't get me wrong Parker is a fantastic player and champion but I think Pop really would prefer him to still play like CP3.

I hope the Spurs land Chris Paul but the only risk would be how much he would want and for how long? If the Spurs can manage to strike a fair deal, the Spurs are right back in the le picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Parker became exactly who Pop wanted him to be. Pop was able to build his best offense ever around Tony's gravity forcing mismatches. CP3 can do a lot of things better than Parker, but he'll likely never be able to leverage a "Loop" level system -- especially without holding the ball.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 is a ing superstar that porker could never achieve. He's just better skilled than porker at everything.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "loop" level system.

Is that supposed to be some dig?

Manu and CP3 are maestros. Nothing like porker.

Thread Information