Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometime within the last couple of days, Metta World Peace was on a podcast called "Fierce Talk" and claimed that Tim Duncan is the 2nd greatest player who ever lived (Bill Russell is his #1). Of course he got a lot of backlash from it. I couldn't find the actual podcast, but here are a couple of links below, one with an article and the other one with actual tweets in response to his opinion:

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-t...gend-ahead-of-
    https://fadeawayworld.net/2021/04/22...at-ever-lived/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually agree with a lot of the reactions I saw tbh. Love Timmy, but he isn't on the same level as Jordan or Lebron. He's right around 5 imo.

1a. Jordan
    1b. Lebron
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Tim
    6. Wilt
    7. Bird
    8. Hakeem
    9. Shaq
    10. Russell

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually agree with a lot of the reactions I saw tbh. Love Timmy, but he isn't on the same level as Jordan or Lebron. He's right around 5 imo.

1a. Jordan
    1b. Lebron
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Tim
    6. Wilt
    7. Bird
    8. Hakeem
    9. Shaq
    10. Russell
    I personally can't put LeBron or Magic ahead of TD, but other than that I can agree on your list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally can't put LeBron or Magic ahead of TD, but other than that I can agree on your list.
    It's more like 4a/4b with Magic and Timmy. I give Magic the benefit of the doubt since he had to retire early.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Artest has always loved Duncan tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got Duncan at #2 right after Jordan

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more like 4a/4b with Magic and Timmy. I give Magic the benefit of the doubt since he had to retire early.
    I give TD the advantage over Magic because of his 2-way dominance, longevity, and the fact that they have the same amount of rings despite Magic having better teammates.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got Duncan at #2 right after Jordan
    That's an excellent spot for him.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd rank bron-bron above timmy if he had brought 6 rings to the Land

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is 2-1 against LeBron in the finals
    Duncan got more rings than Shaq
    Duncan got more accolades than Kobe

Just off eras there's a case where you can put him ahead of Kareem, Wilt and Bill Russell. You can make a case for any top 10 player to be #1 or #2 really

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 absolutely. Personally I get annoyed when people always put Magic and Larry ahead of Tim, because I think it’s simply nostalgia or reputation that does that. I think Tim is equal or better than both of them..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is 2-1 against LeBron in the finals
    Duncan got more rings than Shaq
    Duncan got more accolades than Kobe

Just off eras there's a case where you can put him ahead of Kareem, Wilt and Bill Russell. You can make a case for any top 10 player to be #1 or #2 really
    I agree. Personally I would put LeBron reluctantly ahead of Tim simply because his longevity is absolutely amazing. 36 years of age still playing at the near peak level. Even though he has been injured this year before that he was still playing like a prime LeBron James. It’s amazing.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're gonna put Russell at the top, Duncan is a logical choice for second place. MWP is at least consistent in what he values.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 absolutely. Personally I get annoyed when people always put Magic and Larry ahead of Tim, because I think it’s simply nostalgia or reputation that does that. I think Tim is equal or better than both of them..
    TD was dominant on both ends of the court, Magic and Bird were not. So there's no way I can put them ahead of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD was dominant on both ends of the court, Magic and Bird were not. So there's no way I can put them ahead of him.
    I agree 100%. It pisses me off when to this day that still happens. But the 80s and that rivalry is so nostalgic for people they can’t help themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree 100%. It pisses me off when to this day that still happens. But the 80s and that rivalry is so nostalgic for people they can’t help themselves.
    And then we have people discounting TD because he only averaged 19 points per game for this career and saying that since other all-time greats have accolades offensive numbers you have to use offensive numbers to "separate the hierarchy".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan is my favorite player of all time, but we got to be serious about some of the teams he's beat in the finals. the Nets in 02, Knicks in 99, and Cavs in 07. And let's not forget 3 of Kobe's teams he beat: 01 Sixers, 02 nets, and 09 magic. These teams dont make the finals in the 80s at all and the Cavs/Magic more than likely don't even make the playoffs. I'm not saying Bird or Magic are Better than Timmy, but we got to look at these things. I also don't think Kobe is God like everyone else does. I've said this for years when he was living.. The man had Shaq for his first 3 rings and basically gave Detroit the ring in 2004 because he wanted to be selfish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan is my favorite player of all time, but we got to be serious about some of the teams he's beat in the finals. the Nets in 02, Knicks in 99, and Cavs in 07. And let's not forget 3 of Kobe's teams he beat: 01 Sixers, 02 nets, and 09 magic. These teams dont make the finals in the 80s at all and the Cavs/Magic more than likely don't even make the playoffs. I'm not saying Bird or Magic are Better than Timmy, but we got to look at these things. I also don't think Kobe is God like everyone else does. I've said this for years when he was living.. The man had Shaq for his first 3 rings and basically gave Detroit the ring in 2004 because he wanted to be selfish.
    Well you can only play who you play in your era. Magic Johnson beat some all-time great teams but he had insane levels of talent. I mean when the second best player on your team is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, holy ing .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then we have people discounting TD because he only averaged 19 points per game for this career and saying that since other all-time greats have accolades offensive numbers you have to use offensive numbers to "separate the hierarchy".
    Tim could have won scoring les if he was a selfish prick. Easily. He was all about the team his entire career. He basically spent the last six or seven years adapting his game to his new teammates doing whatever it took to win a championship. Tim Duncan is the greatest teammate in the history of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Porker

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim could have won scoring les if he was a selfish prick. Easily. He was all about the team his entire career. He basically spent the last six or seven years adapting his game to his new teammates doing whatever it took to win a championship. Tim Duncan is the greatest teammate in the history of the league.
    All facts!! TD was a basketball unicorn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well you can only play who you play in your era. Magic Johnson beat some all-time great teams but he had insane levels of talent. I mean when the second best player on your team is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, holy ing .
    I was born during the 80's so I can't comment on the 80's NBA but I have heard from older fans that the West was garbage during that time period and the Lakers played a lot of cream puff teams in the playoffs before getting to the Finals. I have heard the Eastern Conference was the harder conference back then with the Celtics,Sixers,Pistons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only two players I feel that were definitely better than Tim which is MJ and Kareem. Outside of those 2 there is nobody else I feel is better.

Thread Information