Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people care about Spurs saving money? As long as they aren’t paying tax, TT will be far better than anyone they can sign to fill out the roster.
    Because it will have a negative impact on the future salary cap and may result in unable to obtain a player they may fit better with some small movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're goalpost moving would make Ronaldo proud. when your star isn't a star...
    ... then your problem is that you need a star, not that you need depth.

He's depth! Why is this so hard for you to understand?
    If anything below the top-three is depth, then the Spurs have even more depth than you're trying to argue.

Mills and Beli might be depth on a playoff team destined for a 1st round exit. Just ask Philly and San Antonio. I guess that depends on your expectations and how you use the depth. For instance, Using Mills as a backup pg for 33 minutes a game isn't adding to depth, it detracts from it.. It's like moving Manny Machado from third base where he is an elite defender to SS where he is a sub par defender. Mills isn't a pg and he adds zero depth to the position. Mills and Beli type talents are a dime a dozen and most playoff teams have at least one or both on a roster.
    If most playoff teams have one or two players comparable to the ones the Spurs have as part of their depth, then it sounds like SA has adequate depth.

You can spin it anyway you like but don't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension.
    It's not anyone's fault but yours that you chose to challenge a point you agreed with. You're crying about spin when you said almost verbatim what DPG said.

Speculate away! I don't mean to on your parade of fantasy and make believe. I think I would take your speculation a little more seriously if they weren't full of flatulence and bunk. Trades that are so one-sided and slanted in the Spurs direction because the only players you throw in a trade are the ones that have no redeeming value to the opposing team involved. Don't give me the Pau expiring bull . That's your simple excuse for everything. You can throw that in with the Parker, Anderson and the annual Matt Bonner trade proposals of yesteryear or fill in the scrub's name you want the Spurs to rid themselves of. From my point of view with my feet planted firmly on the ground, The Spurs don't have assets to pull off trades. By that, I mean the assets/depth/able bodies they have is currently tied to production and by trading pieces away, you're gaining depth in one area while creating holes somewhere else. This isn't a hard concept to understand.
    What was the last trade I proposed? Have I even proposed one in this thread? Anyway, it's pretty clear you simultaneously know little about the Spurs and even less about any team outside of the Spurs. You have trouble grasping the basic value concept and show no ability to back up your points with concrete examples. I asked you a very simple question about other trades, and you couldn't answer it. You don't want to answer it, because what interests you is finding new and creative ways to hammer home the same pessimistic points over and over. That's fine. But when you can't even read a thread to see my at ude toward it, it makes you look incompetent. I don't think you're incompetent, but I do think you realized pretty early in this conversation that your points were wrong-headed and continued to charge ahead anyway rather than just backing down. Now you're forced to pretend like the words in the thread aren't there and that arguments that should be really easy to support but have no evidence some how stand on their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it will have a negative impact on the future salary cap and may result in unable to obtain a player they may fit better with some small movement.
    TT would have absolutely no bearing on future salary cap and the ability to obtain a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people care about Spurs saving money? As long as they aren’t paying tax, TT will be far better than anyone they can sign to fill out the roster.
    Let's put it this way: I'd rather draft a big at 29 to replace Pau than stash a guy because Thompson is on the roster. Or they could bring over Milutinov. Moreover, I wouldn't mind the Spurs having the flexibility to take on salary in future trades or to have enough room under the tax to shuffle around the bottom of their rosters and cut guys with guaranteed money in a potential training-camp compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's put it this way: I'd rather draft a big at 29 to replace Pau than stash a guy because Thompson is on the roster. Or they could bring over Milutinov. Moreover, I wouldn't mind the Spurs having the flexibility to take on salary in future trades or to have enough room under the tax to shuffle around the bottom of their rosters and cut guys with guaranteed money in a potential training-camp compe ion.
    That’s fair, I’m just thinking TT is still a decent enough player to where that would not matter too much to me, but I see how people could value the above.

But the point remains, for next year, someone like TT has no bearing on future cap space. Next year is shot for cap space anyways unless SA unloads Pau/Mills. Then beyond that, TT is off the books just like Pau would be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt the TT trade happens but he is definitely a better pairing with the young players like Murray and white.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also LA wouldn’t have to do any of the dirty work with TT here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btb, I did see a post a page or so ago where I replied to the various players discussed and technically proposed trades. I don't think anyone but Hoop could argue that those deals are wildly one-sided in the Spurs' favor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s fair, I’m just thinking TT is still a decent enough player to where that would not matter too much to me, but I see how people could value the above.

But the point remains, for next year, someone like TT has no bearing on future cap space. Next year is shot for cap space anyways unless SA unloads Pau/Mills. Then beyond that, TT is off the books just like Pau would be.
    If Aldridge were younger to where he still could play the four, maybe I'd consider Thompson's potential to play next to him worth the trade. As is, I just can't see if as positive or neutral to a win-now role. If the target year is 2020, then something were SA trades their tax room next year for cap space in 2020 (mainly by including that Mills/Clarkson swap), then that makes sense. As is, Cleveland won't add value to save money now that they're tanking. And I'd rather have someone on the roster who has more years of control given how volatile SA's front-court is after next season. The guard depth should be fine for years to come, but their bigs could all be gone very soon.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Marc gasol on this team.. highly unlikely but still would love for it to happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two interesting things about Tristan Thompson. Played at Texas like LMA. Same agency group as Dejounte Murray (Klutch). I think he is overpriced and a bad fit for this Spurs team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good about TT he’s put up good numbers against Warriors ball club rebounding and battling with Dray could be used to guard Cuz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see the 2 first. I see a first rd included but dont see where the 2nd is. I actually had thought of something like this except I would change out crawford for Bender and Put Cunningham for Pondexter (for money reason). Phoenix has not played bender up until ayton got hurt so I think they might get rid of him. Would give Spurs a year to see what they like. I also agree that throwing in a pick especially Toronto pick would be worth it. We also get the SF with Jackson who is good Defense and has shown with PT can be good.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y78khm6h
    I was the one who said "two firsts", and I guess DPG just let it flow through. I was counting the salary difference as worth another first. That's true if just looking at Anderson and Gasol, but factoring Mills in, it's not that big of a hit. Honestly, being able to send Mills out might make it a good deal regardless, even though the concerns I had are still valid. Jackson actually had a very strong game tonight, and he's been turning it around for a while now (I have him on my FBB teams). I'm a believer in Jackson and would likely trade a lot for him, but his value is going to go up. The only hope of grabbing him is if the Suns somehow love Mills. Otherwise, he's probably the least gettable SF on their roster, including Bridges (whom I don't think is on the table at all).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For everyone that entertains the thought of trading for Marc Gasol right now a couple of things they need to be aware of.

The Grizzlies are 1-12 in their last 13 for a reason.Their one win was against the Spurs for a reason.This Spurs team has a lot of weaknesses,adding Gasol to the roster fixes none of our weaknesses.

Marc Gasol has regressed a lot physically in the past couple of seasons.He is already starting to move like his brother at times.He is 34 years old,how long do you think he has before going full Pau?

Marc Gasol has a player option for 27millions for the 2019-2020 season.There is no way in he is not opting in for a team he would like to play for.

We should stay away from Marc Gasol and that is an understatement.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    ... then your problem is that you need a star, not that you need depth.
    Not necessarily a star, just role players that can be counted on daily and not intermittently.

If anything below the top-three is depth, then the Spurs have even more depth than you're trying to argue.
    I don't know what the this even means. The T-Wolves play 11 guys over 20 minutes per game. The Warriors plays 6 guys over 20 minutes per game. Minnesota is 11th in the west while GS is first. Does that mean Minnesota has more depth than GS? Knicks might be depth kings. They play 14 guys 15 min/game.

If most playoff teams have one or two players comparable to the ones the Spurs have as part of their depth, then it sounds like SA has adequate depth.
    So why propose trades if the Spurs are good as is? If people are in here proposing trades, then the depth probably isn't as good as you think it is.

It's not anyone's fault but yours that you chose to challenge a point you agreed with. You're crying about spin when you said almost verbatim what DPG said.
    DPG said the Spurs don't need depth. I said they do. Does that sound like an agreement?

What was the last trade I proposed? Have I even proposed one in this thread? Anyway, it's pretty clear you simultaneously know little about the Spurs and even less about any team outside of the Spurs. You have trouble grasping the basic value concept and show no ability to back up your points with concrete examples. I asked you a very simple question about other trades, and you couldn't answer it. You don't want to answer it, because what interests you is finding new and creative ways to hammer home the same pessimistic points over and over. That's fine. But when you can't even read a thread to see my at ude toward it, it makes you look incompetent. I don't think you're incompetent, but I do think you realized pretty early in this conversation that your points were wrong-headed and continued to charge ahead anyway rather than just backing down. Now you're forced to pretend like the words in the thread aren't there and that arguments that should be really easy to support but have no evidence some how stand on their own.
    No, I apparently know more about the Spurs than you because the Spurs rarely make in season trades unless it's to accommodate an unhappy player. The last in-season trade deadline deals the Spurs made were

In 2014 - Nando De Colo acquired by Toronto for Austin Daye.
    In 2012 - S-Jax acquired by Spurs for RJ (unique cir stances)
    In 2010 - A conditional 2nd acquired by Spurs for Theo Ratcliffe
    In 2007 - Melvin Ely acquired by Spurs for Eric Williams

Mind officially blown!!! It's like the lights are on Chinook but nobodies home.

What was your question about other trades? You mean the two questions you posed at the start of the paragraph that I was suppose to answer before you hit reply? You're right about the pessimistic part. Some times thick skulls are tough to crack so I need to keep hammering home the same point until I break sludge. I'm not going to turn into a campus cheerleader like you but I'll tell you what I'll do.. I'll try to be more open mined and optimistic about the Spurs going forward. I'll have many relapses along the way but as long as the Spurs win, I'll say mostly ​positive things.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 01-23-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I love NBA and the bsketball team and i wish chicago bulls to win all the NBA matches.

For latest news and updates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he won't likely play, and is overpaid. People complain about Gasol now, but it'll be the same thing unless Pop tries to go the two big route again which would be a disaster with Murray back, along with DeRozan in the SL.

For all we know Tyson Chandler may be interested in that role because he's at the tail end of his career and is apparently good friend's with Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I'm getting rick rolled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9 good rotation players isn't good when the injury of just one of those 9 players sends you on a losing streak.
    That's not really true. Spurs lost to Memphis by 10 without Gay with DeRozan starting his recent trash play.

The following night they beat OKC then they lost to OKC without Gay and DeRozan continuing to play poorly.

They lost to Charlotte without Gay, Beli (who's been on fire recently) and DeRozan putting up 14 points on 15 attempts and 6 turnovers.

It's not like losing Gay alone caused them to lose those games. DeRozans slide coincides with Gay's injury. It's hard to win when your second option plays poorly and the third is out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t want no part of any of the Gasol brothers they are both done pretty much end of career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone wonder why all reports have Spurs looking for extra wing defender seems like they got plenty

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Anyone wonder why all reports have Spurs looking for extra wing defender seems like they got plenty
    is that a joke?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this fukin guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Gasol is not the DPY and All-Star player you remember. Watch him play now.

Do you get nervous watching our bigs posting up James Harden and the Rockets? You haven't seen Marc struggles in the post vs Dikembe Harden Mutombo.

PATFO.WON'T.MOVE.MILLS

Tristan Thompson already won a ring and started to decline. I don't think he's nothing else but a huge Center with a huge contract and no Championship hunger anymore. Pass.

Spurs need athletic forwards that don't hurt the offense.
    Last edited by Coach X; 01-23-2019 at 11:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of making a trade is forcing a player to come to SA. If we wait until players like Triston Thompson and Fat Gasol become free agents they’ll probably sign elsewhere. I don’t think either fit well with this team. I also agree they won’t trade Patty mid-season.

Thread Information