Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Well no . Dude, was talking about a movie on NETFLIX,this actually had to be explained to you?

Stupid how about something by...

Sammy Hill
    Six Cylinder Smith
    Spark Plug Smith
    Bull City Red
    Cedar Creek Sheik
    Bayless Rose
    The Nugrape Twins
    The Two Poor Boys
    Kid Brown
    Boweavil Jackson
    King Solomon Hill
    Garfield Akers

ever hear of any of them?
    Yes, therefore your thread is a failure.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Yes, therefore your thread is a failure.
    I don't believe you.

Even a blues fan the ordinary kind wouldn't know that gang, they are in that shadowy obscure relm. Only guys like myself know about them.

There is noway you could have heard about any of them.

Have you heard of this gang....

Ben Convington
    Alec Johnson
    Alfred Lewis
    Pigmeat Terry
    Lewis Black
    Sloppy Henry
    Will Weldon
    Mooch Richardson

Now you are thinking....did he make those up....ha~~~

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Pavlov, always says....I don't care how much you know. Then he ends up playing....you're thread is a failure...hahahahaha~~~~~~

I could start right now and post 1000 songs nobody here has ever heard.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I don't believe you.
    Sorry, I distinctly remember hearing the Two Poor Boys' recording of the John Henry ballad.

You lose.

Your thread is a failure.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Sorry, I distinctly remember hearing the Two Poor Boys' recording of the John Henry ballad.

You lose.

Your thread is a failure.
    Stupid, why is it you never everr actually get anything ever?

I can always post a 1000 songs nobody here has ever heard, there was no time line. And I still don't believe you, all you did was run off to Google. So what were their real names, yep...no clue or another Google.

Stupid, who was that state Governor who was a well known blues man?

Speaking of threads, are you ever going to do one?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Stupid, why is it you never everr actually get anything ever?

I can always post a 1000 songs nobody here has ever heard, there was no time line. And I still don't believe you, all you did was run off to Google. So what were their real names, yep...no clue or another Google.

Stupid, who was that state Governor who was a well known blues man?

Speaking of threads, are you ever going to do one?
    Avante getting upset about his failed thread and ting out random trivia.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Avante getting upset about his failed thread and ting out random trivia.
    Pavlov, where do I say anything about how long this is suppose to take? Are you really stupid enought to think I can't post at least a 1000 songs nobody here has ever heard of? And you are lying about knowing The Too Poor Boys.

Stupid. you have any idea at all just how many old blues/country songs are out there? I;m talking pre 1940.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pavlov, where do I say anything about how long this is suppose to take? Are you really stupid enought to think I can't post at least a 1000 songs nobody here has ever heard of? And you are lying about knowing The Too Poor Boys.

Stupid. you have any idea at all just how many old blues/country songs are out there? I;m talking pre 1940.
    Avante so upset he doesn't have an exclusive on knowing some old ass song exists.

Do you realize how ridiculous you are?

"Too" Poor Boys

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Avante so upset he doesn't have an exclusive on knowing some old ass song exists.

Do you realize how ridiculous you are?

"Too" Poor Boys
    Dude, ridiculous is even mentioning....Too/Two....talk about being tiny, wow.

Pavlov, you always try and pull this stupid..."so upset"....bull , too damn stupid to get you are just something to kick around, toy with. Nobody gets upset over some known idiot like you...ok?

Pavlov, we both know you ran off to Google, ok? There is no way "YOU" knew about Evans & McClain The Two Poor Boys.

Ok, starting now the next 1000 songs will all be.....never heard that one before.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Dude, ridiculous is even mentioning....Too/Two....talk about being tiny, wow.

Pavlov, you always try and pull this stupid..."so upset"....bull , too damn stupid to get you are just something to kick around, toy with. Nobody gets upset over some known idiot like you...ok?

Pavlov, we both know you ran off to Google, ok? There is no way "YOU" knew about Evans & McClain The Two Poor Boys.
    Of course someone can have heard a song that has been around for almost a century.

I've posted here before about the Blues Before Sunrise radio show I used to listen to on Saturday nights. They had an hour dedicated to prewar blues.

You're not special.

Sorry.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Of course someone can have heard a song that has been around for almost a century.

I've posted here before about the Blues Before Sunrise radio show I used to listen to on Saturday nights. They had an hour dedicated to prewar blues.

You're not special.

Sorry.

As usual you never ever really get it.

There you sit listening to that radio show, they are playing ...."How Long How Long" by Leroy Carr, now where was Carr from and who is that on the guitar? And just where does that song and Carr/guitar man fit into the big picture? Yep, you have no clue.

Watch this...

Here we have one of the oldest cats to ever record them blues, he was born in the 1880;s. Now where did he play and what was that thing he played? And there is something a little unique about him, what?

Yep, you have no clue.

Only special when talking them blues/football and track, could hang with anyone in the world.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    As usual you never ever really get it.

There you sit listening to that radio show, they are playing ...."How Long How Long" by Leroy Carr, now where was Carr from and who is that on the guitar? And just where does that song and Carr/guitar man fit into the big picture?
    Usually the host would say all of that because he knows more about the blues than you ever could. It was his job for thirty years.

If I wanted to know anything more I could Google it just like you did to get that video -- like knowing it was Scrapper Blackwell on guitar and the song was very influential and is still played and recorded to this day.

You're not special. You're a boring old man with a shack crying out for attention by saying you know some trivia.
    Last edited by Pavlov; 06-08-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Henry Thomas was playing the quills, a kind of pan flute made of cane reeds. Modified versions of his songs were covered in the 60s and 70s folk revival by Dylan and Canned Heat.

Yes, I googled it -- which is the whole point.

lol Avant

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Avant Thank you for the history overview and the accompanying list of artists. You’re entirely right that I do want to learn about the history and development of blues and jazz. Learning the context around something as well as how it has evolved is of interest to me. It is also, as you mentioned, one of the harder things to learn through pure research (compared to finding music that is simply stylistically similar to what one already listens to).
    Pavlov I have done some of the branching you’ve suggested in the past. It is more my usual learning style, particularly since I tend to focus on a narrow band of any subject. That continues to make it good advice. That doesn’t remove the usefulness of Avante’s information or recommendations, however. If anything, it enhances them, since it gets me out of my typical “narrow band” mode of discovery.

I found both of your posts helpful. Both catering to my regular learning style and offering a different framework are useful to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Avant Thank you for the history overview and the accompanying list of artists. You’re entirely right that I do want to learn about the history and development of blues and jazz. Learning the context around something as well as how it has evolved is of interest to me. It is also, as you mentioned, one of the harder things to learn through pure research (compared to finding music that is simply stylistically similar to what one already listens to).
    Pavlov I have done some of the branching you’ve suggested in the past. It is more my usual learning style, particularly since I tend to focus on a narrow band of any subject. That continues to make it good advice. That doesn’t remove the usefulness of Avante’s information or recommendations, however. If anything, it enhances them, since it gets me out of my typical “narrow band” mode of discovery.

I found both of your posts helpful. Both catering to my regular learning style and offering a different framework are useful to me.
    Eh, buy an older edition of Jazz Styles: History and Analysis for an overview of origins and influences. Sometimes you can get the companion CDs containing the songs discussed as well but you can probably find all those tracks online.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics

You do need to spend a little $$$$$ and purchase this book.....

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    How about some Baby Washington?

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    So much hillbillie/Okie music that was recorded prior to 1940, that nobody here has ever heard. Change that 1000 to 10,000.

Clarence Ashley recorded the first version of "House of the Rising Sun" in 1933 and he also recorded the first "Little Saddie" which Bob Dylan covered.

I like this....

Last edited by Sir Johnny; 06-18-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    I was over on another site when a poster started talking country music. Now that is a track forum but more......track fans talking.....than stick to track talk.

I can't believe just how ignorant so many people are about that music. I listen to everything but the opera, good country can stand with anything when it comes to a great listen. Hank Williams on a par with anyone as is Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, Jimmie Rodgers, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, Marty Robbins etc.

Yes, sometimes you need what fits the mood, and nothing but early jazz or 50's Doowop or The Ramones, The Clash, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, etc will work. But when

your baby leaves you, the job sucks, your old bulldog just died and your tank reads E, how can you beat...........

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I've heard of all those people.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was over on another site when a poster started talking country music. Now that is a track forum but more......track fans talking.....than stick to track talk.

I can't believe just how ignorant so many people are about that music. I listen to everything but the opera, good country can stand with anything when it comes to a great listen. Hank Williams on a par with anyone as is Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, Jimmie Rodgers, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, Marty Robbins etc.

Yes, sometimes you need what fits the mood, and nothing but early jazz or 50's Doowop or The Ramones, The Clash, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, etc will work. But when

your baby leaves you, the job sucks, your old bulldog just died and your tank reads E, how can you beat...........
    When your daughter and her child live with you, your son is a greeter at Walmart and has herpes and frosted tips, and your house looks like the before images of a Chip and Joanna Gains episode, you could probably write your own ballad.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    I've heard of all those people.
    How about these people?

Asa Martin
    B.F.Shelton
    Homer Callahan
    Garfield Akers
    Joe Callicott
    Geechie Wiley
    Kid Brown
    Pigmeat Terry
    Moses Mason
    Ollie Ross
    Jack Ranger
    Curley Weaver
    Slim Barton
    Charlie Hicks
    Frank Floyd
    Bo Jones
    Willie Reed
    Ramblin' Thomas
    Cryin' Sam Collins
    King Solomon Hill
    Ishman Bracey
    Rube Lacy
    Kid Bailey
    Gwen Foster

That is a faction of a fraction of those that are......who?.....to you and most everyone else.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics

Bull City Red played some with Floyd Council who was the FLOYD in Pink Floyd.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    As we all know roots/old timey music is pretty obscure to most simply because they don't care. But in that music there are those who recorded enought to be noticed the second you try to find out about that old stuff. Then there are those who only recorded a record or a couple. Here is where it gets really interesting, finding these shadows, those mysteries.

I own 12 big books on them blues. Yet, there is no mention anywhere of Bo Jones, Ollie Ross, Jack Ranger, Pillie Bolling, Freezone.

This is as primitive as it gets, he was a Texan. Recorded one record.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    You know if you asked nicely and stop being an asshole those guy might stop posting pictures of you and yours.

Thread Information