Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rafael Uehara @rafael_uehara
    While you are not paying attention, Patty Mills is posting an 18 PER & shooting 52% from three-point on 25 attempts in 155 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although that stat is impressive it seems Mills has fallen off some. He was scorching hot the first 4-5 games, then seems to have way cooled off (but I haven't checked).

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills wouldn't have maintained that percentage of scoring anyways. That always happens to a player in the Spurs System, even Manu has gone through chunks of a season shooting a god-level of 3point percentage.

I've just been happy with the level of energy Patrick is bringing on both ends of the floor. He hasn't been sloppy. This is what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed - was commenting solely about the 3 pt shooting. But I am thrilled with Patty so far. I just hope that unless there is a prolonged string of bad play, that Pop sticks with Patty and let's him develop in a consistent role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some really solid takes in this thread. Brunobringing out the best in spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    awesome analysis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.sen.com.au/display-articl...ty-Mills/62590

NBA recap - featuring Patty Mills

NBA recap thanks to Morning Glory interview with Australian NBA star Patty Mills who is enjoying a promising start to the season with the San Antonio Spurs.

Australian point guard Patty Mills is enjoying an exciting start to the NBA season along with his San Antonio who have lost only one game in the first ten matches.

In his fifth year in the league, Mills is finally seeing regular action.

The 25-year old is averaging 7.3 points per game in 15 minutes court time as back-up point guard behind perennial All-Star Tony Parker.

He credits a great pre-season for his promising start.

“Just playing with a chip on my shoulder and understanding that I do belong in the league and just remembering who I am as a point guard and as a player.

“I had a good run at the early part of this year and still learning a lot behind Tony and he is helping me along the way.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-articl...ty-Mills/62590

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read Bruno. French rule dat Spurs and dat forum tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect him to play a bigger role. Aside of a poor 3 point shooting, Manu hasn't been that bad this season but it's jsut that the game is less and less centered around him. He should be able to be more than a supporting character.
    When a player deteriorates because of age, the first thing to go are the legs. And so far Manu seems to be going to the basket pretty well. Although the legs are an integral part of the jump shot, a lot of Manu's 3s arent really jumpers in the classic sense of the jump shot--more of a push or set shot, especially his step back 3.

I'd really like to know if the players get regular eye exams before the season because eyesight problems are so gradual that they can creep up on you as you age. Maybe he's just not seeing the basket very well these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of the next 10 games, I forgot about the game in Mexico:

November Opponent Time Local TV Nat TV Radio
    Wed 20 vs Boston AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Fri 22 @ Memphis FedExForum, Memphis, TN 7:00 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Sat 23 vs Cleveland AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Mon 25 vs New Orleans AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Wed 27 @ Oklahoma City Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, OK 7:00 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Fri 29 @ Orlando Amway Center, Orlando, FL 6:00 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Sat 30 vs Houston AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM KENS HD 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    December Opponent Time Local TV Nat TV Radio
    Mon 2 vs Atlanta AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Wed 4
    @ Minnesota Mexico City Arena, Mexico City, Mexico 8:30 PM FSSW NBATV 1200WOAI/1350KCOR
    Sat 7 vs Indiana AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX 7:30 PM FSSW 1200WOAI/1350KCOR

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Bruno.

Spurs defensive rebounding:
    Spurs have been these past years an elite defensive rebounding team and they are having an even better start than usual this year.
    The improvement doesn't really come from the PF/C rotation but from the SG/SF rotation. The 4 main wing (Leonard, Green, Ginobili and Belinelli) are averaging more than 5 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes.
    Spurs compensate the lack of an elite defensive rebounder by a team effort.

The Duncan/Splitter pair:
    One of the reason of Spurs surge last season was the Splitter/Duncan pairing. They even were the best defensive pair in the NBA. This year it isn't at all the case:
    +/- stats for the main Spurs bigmen pair:
    Duncan/Splitter: -13 in 98 minutes
    Duncan/Diaw: +48 in 94 minutes
    Splitter/Diaw: +35 in 70 minutes
    Duncan getting better might put back the Duncan/Splitter back on track but if it doesn't happen, it should have consequences on what Spurs should do at the trade deadline. Without the ability to pair Tim and Tiago adding a quality PF becomes an even bigger priority.
    If it doesn't happen and we need a PF, who should be traded before the deadline?

Green? We could lose our D/O perimeter balance. Belinelli covers his role?
    Leonard? Which player could get in exchange for the most promising guy in the team and his so cheap contract...Not lopsided trade.
    Splitter for a great/star PF? On ST "If a team is crazy enough to pay his contract and receive low performances in return" (Compared with other bigmens perhaps his contract isn't so expensive, tbh).

Anyway, I don't really expect a trade.
    The Spurs aren't only looking for immediate impact on the court, the FO won't move at deadline to give team the greater financial flexibility in the coming seasons without Timmy or Manu.
    Plus, I think there aren't "host of talented PF" that will be available in February.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does keeping Hinrich have to do with anything? He's still under contract...and he's an expiring too. you suck at talking basketball.

Let me say it again since you are so ing slow and/or seem to have a super selective memory. Chicago let him walk because they could not afford to keep him...period. They signed Dunleavy because they knew this. There were reports that Beli had a lucrative offer from Cleveland but when Pop called he jumped at the chance to be with the Spurs and Manu and took less money because of that. They didn't pay Dunleavy more when they could have kept Beli at the price the Spurs paid.

These are facts, not deflecting. If you want I can get you a link to article with the Cleveland information in it. How about you get me one that details Chicago "giving up" on Beli for any other reason than money?
    Actually she doesn't suck but you are a grade A asshole who can't form an opinion w/o insulting someone,which actually reveals your lack of intelligence/poor unmannered upbringing and is why no one takes anything you have to say here with any seriousness at all.

Maybe you should see a shrink cause I'm sensing some serious hatred for women in your posts,tbh,for realz etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Pot, kettle, black, tbh

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, I'm surprised you didn't mention Kawhi. It's his 3rd year in the league, isn't that supposed to be the season when blooming stars reveal themselves? He doesn't seem to be growing or improving. He doesn't seem to be more involved, and he sure doesn't seem to be able to sustain his potential level of play for a whole game.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Pot, kettle, black, tbh

Kawhiiii
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When a player deteriorates because of age, the first thing to go are the legs. And so far Manu seems to be going to the basket pretty well. Although the legs are an integral part of the jump shot, a lot of Manu's 3s arent really jumpers in the classic sense of the jump shot--more of a push or set shot, especially his step back 3.

I'd really like to know if the players get regular eye exams before the season because eyesight problems are so gradual that they can creep up on you as you age. Maybe he's just not seeing the basket very well these days.
    I think Manu's threes is more due to his hesitation. When he shoots in rhythm, it goes in most of the time. When he doubts himself and hesitates, and then decides to shoot it anyway, its usually a miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff. Thanks, Bruno!

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, I'm surprised you didn't mention Kawhi. It's his 3rd year in the league, isn't that supposed to be the season when blooming stars reveal themselves? He doesn't seem to be growing or improving. He doesn't seem to be more involved, and he sure doesn't seem to be able to sustain his potential level of play for a whole game.
    Manu's third year was 2004-2005. Just food for thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kawhi's quiet production stems from a lack of attempts, not inefficiency.

For one, he's averaging only 28 minutes (3 less than last year), and is only taking 1 more shot attempt than he was last year. His Field Goal percentage is up, but his 3PT% and FT% are both down (as are his attempts). His rebounding and assist numbers are similar to last years, but unfortunately, his fouls have risen (something he focuses on).

Considering the small sample size, I'm not worried yet, especially since Kawhi almost seemed to be slumping early. Now that he's getting into his groove, I expect those numbers to improve pretty quickly.

However, I still don't think Kawhi will ever be a 20PPG with this Spurs team as currently constructed. There is too much other firepower, and too much emphasis on both team offense and resting players, for Kawhi to get the minutes, touches, and shots he would need to be an "elite scorer".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it doesn't happen and we need a PF, who should be traded before the deadline?

Green? We could lose our D/O perimeter balance. Belinelli covers his role?
    Leonard? Which player could get in exchange for the most promising guy in the team and his so cheap contract...Not lopsided trade.
    Splitter for a great/star PF? On ST "If a team is crazy enough to pay his contract and receive low performances in return" (Compared with other bigmens perhaps his contract isn't so expensive, tbh).
    A trade concept that could work would be Spurs trading their expiring contracts at the end of the bench (Bonner, De Colo and Baynes) with, if necessary, their 2014 first round pick for a players whose contract expires in 2015 when Spurs will use their cap space after Tim and Manu likely retirement.

Some players who might be good targets in that scenario: Amir Johnson, Brandon Bass, Mirza Teletovic, Anderson Varejao, Jonas Jerebko, Derrick Williams, Luc Mbah a Moute...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just about to post about Amir as a target. He would easily be my choice. However, there has been a lot of disagreement about Amir on this board. Some posters, when I previously suggested sending expiring contracts + draft pick for Amir spoke about Amir as if he was the next great big man and said no way TOR accepts that.

I on the other hand always thought that while he was very solid and usually produced well per minute that he was never as good as some people made him out to be. I'd still want him and I still think a team like TOR would definitely consider moving him if they got a pick and/or decent young player/cap space back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kahwi isn't for sure breaking out but stats showed he has been more involved this year. His usage % was 14.3 in his rookie year, 16.6 last season and 20.0 this year.

Now, my true and only question about Leonard is why he is only playing 28 mpg?
    Health issues?
    Pop liking other players over him?
    Pop limiting his minutes to give some consistent playing time at the other swingmen?

I just hope the reason isn't that his knee is still bothering him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one has mentioned the knee issue although it was talked about last year so I don't believe that is the issue. I think the issue is why play someone, young or not, any more minutes than you need to in order to win. Sure, the compe ion will get stronger and the Spurs may need him more minutes, but buying extra rest is crucial even for young players as long as you can win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    talk about trying too hard with a sss to make a case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of Kawhi, Pop said due to his rehabbing his knee all summer, he didn't really have time work on his game/add anything new; not sure how much truth there is to that statement, but could be a reason.

Good to see his usage % has increased though.

Thread Information