Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slightly past 1:12 . . .

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=27537763

What changed? He hated them as recently as the end of last season and obviously they didn't exactly make sweeping changes . . . which leads me to believe he's heard something specific about the development of the youth, that could potentially alter their ceiling,
    like Murray's 3 has improved to the extent that playing their best 5 in stretches would become tenable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The West has way more parity than it used to, but everyone has at least moderate question marks. The Spurs are the only team whose question marks are good (essentially can chemistry and improve play make a 48-win team better). With continuity and stars who are usually not injury risks, it's not hard to see the Spurs as a team that fights for a top-two or -three record for most of the before maybe giving up the chase in the last month of the season. A lot of teams might struggle out of the gate or during the season due to the attrition.

Of course, maybe he did hear something about Murray or just really loves White or the other young'uns. I don't think that's the most likely explanation, but it would sure be a welcomed one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What changed? He hated them as recently as the end of last season and obviously they didn't exactly make sweeping changes . . .
    Works for ESPN.

Combined BBIQ of sub zero.
    Get paid just to make chit up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were a 48-win team last season without their starting PG, and they'll only get better next year when he returns. Barring major injury, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe they could be a 50-win team.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan Effect, TBH. No team with Tim Duncan on the bench is going to win less than 50.

Truthfully, there is no reason why this team shouldn't be better than last season. I know some teams have gotten better (at least on paper - we'll see). But some teams have gotten worse. Low saying "potential 50 win team" pretty much means playing as good as last year, and winning a couple of coin-toss games.

If White can hold up, under the increased attention he'll be getting, and Murray is healthy enough to live up to his 17-18 form, the Spurs should win 50. I think Keldon Johnson will bring some regular season help, and LWIV should as well. If Carrol gives the Spurs what PATFO expects? I don't think there's a snowball's chance in that they could challenge for winning the West, but there's no reason this team shouldn't win 50 regular season games. Lowe isn't exactly out on a limb with that prediction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I listen to a fair bit of Lowe. I'm not sure he's a Spurs hater as such, I think a lot of fans get defensive if you say anything negative about their team. You add DJ & DMC to a 48 win team, there's no reason why you shouldn't expect 50 wins from a team that should be significantly better defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I listen to a fair bit of Lowe. I'm not sure he's a Spurs hater as such, I think a lot of fans get defensive if you say anything negative about their team. You add DJ & DMC to a 48 win team, there's no reason why you shouldn't expect 50 wins from a team that should be significantly better defensively.
    This.
    I mean there's really nothing to what he has to say.
    Barring injury, ya the Spurs should win 50. Big deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES!!!

I'm officially stoked! I just bought League Pass and am watching the standard "no game on tv right now" screen with the easy listening background music. Will leave it on this channel until opening night!!

Thanks, Zach Lowe!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes, Murray, White, Walker, and DEROZAN are all going to make a step or a jump in their game. Demarre Carrol was also a solid pick up. Not to mention Gay and Aldridge are solid vets who are promoting a good culture. This team should win at least 50 and be able to compete at least with everyone this season if we can peak at the right time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think White exposure in the USA team has something to do with it also. But I’m hoping he heard something about Murray knocking down 3’s. It would be a good season. I can’t wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan Effect, TBH. No team with Tim Duncan on the bench is going to win less than 50.

Truthfully, there is no reason why this team shouldn't be better than last season. I know some teams have gotten better (at least on paper - we'll see). But some teams have gotten worse. Low saying "potential 50 win team" pretty much means playing as good as last year, and winning a couple of coin-toss games.

If White can hold up, under the increased attention he'll be getting, and Murray is healthy enough to live up to his 17-18 form, the Spurs should win 50. I think Keldon Johnson will bring some regular season help, and LWIV should as well. If Carrol gives the Spurs what PATFO expects? I don't think there's a snowball's chance in that they could challenge for winning the West, but there's no reason this team shouldn't win 50 regular season games. Lowe isn't exactly out on a limb with that prediction.
    Spurs are due for a healthy season, and that alone means 4-5 wins more.
    Except...we are an even worse 3pt threat than last season. I am afraid we'll end up dead last in 3pt taken -albeit with a nice %. So I don't know, 50 wins are no joke if you can't make 12 3s per game (yes, last year 48 wins with only 10 per game, I know)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe and Simmons always slurping Morey and the Rockets every year. I bet they are still on their “championship island”. Lowe is garbage now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe was good before he decided to jump on the 'insider' bandwagon, and get involved in all of the player issues, instead of sticking to analysis of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA needs to stay healthy and the young guys need to contribute and the Spurs can improve upon last season. 50 wins is certainly within the realm of possibility for this group, but the West should have a lot of parity. Probably a lot of teams in that 44 to 48 win range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes, Murray, White, Walker, and DEROZAN are all going to make a step or a jump in their game. Demarre Carrol was also a solid pick up. Not to mention Gay and Aldridge are solid vets who are promoting a good culture. This team should win at least 50 and be able to compete at least with everyone this season if we can peak at the right time.
    Pretty much this. Only exception is that Aldridge could start showing age.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The West has way more parity than it used to, but everyone has at least moderate question marks. The Spurs are the only team whose question marks are good (essentially can chemistry and improve play make a 48-win team better). With continuity and stars who are usually not injury risks, it's not hard to see the Spurs as a team that fights for a top-two or -three record for most of the before maybe giving up the chase in the last month of the season. A lot of teams might struggle out of the gate or during the season due to the attrition.

Of course, maybe he did hear something about Murray or just really loves White or the other young'uns. I don't think that's the most likely explanation, but it would sure be a welcomed one.

There could be enough veteran decline to offset whatever the youth gain. Aldridge and Gay are so big and overpowering that I'd guess them falling off a cliff this season is unlikely, but at their respective ages it could happen anytime.

There's also the matter of their projected 5 best players probably not being tenable together, which means having to force feed a defensive liability (who can't more than offset it by being a superstar or star offensively) into a role they shouldn't be in.

This.
    I mean there's really nothing to what he has to say.
    Barring injury, ya the Spurs should win 50. Big deal.
    Sure, but the point isn't the comment, it's the source. He's been as down on the Spurs as anyone in the national media in recent years. I thought he'd be leading the "Spurs are most likely to fall out" or "Spurs won't make the playoffs" charge. Instead, he's going the other way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Zach Lowe is a hack when it comes to Spurs predictions. Didn't this guy predict Spurs to not win 50 the year they won 61? Didn't he claim the Spurs would miss the playoffs both of the last two years? if anything this prediction guarantees a 30 win season

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are due for a healthy season, and that alone means 4-5 wins more.
    Except...we are an even worse 3pt threat than last season. I am afraid we'll end up dead last in 3pt taken -albeit with a nice %. So I don't know, 50 wins are no joke if you can't make 12 3s per game (yes, last year 48 wins with only 10 per game, I know)

I was talking to a Miss. State fan about Weatherspoon's junior year. He had a couple of ideas about why his 3P% was down that one season. I don't know if any of them are true. But if you just count the other 3 years, he shot 39% from 3, on pretty good volume. You can't count on a guy who's on a 2-way to provide much, but I'm hopeful he's going to provide some range in the future.

The Spurs are in trouble on 3's, no doubt. I think they're going to be trying to give Gay more opportunities to take more from downtown, and I'm sure they are going to count on Carrol to take and make a good number. If any of the youngs have improved in that department, the team should be okay. Murray is the most obvious, since he had a whole year to work on his shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe knows a uva a lot about basketball analytics and film breakdown etc even if he has blown some past predictions - he must have some credible info to make this pick.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Softridge /Rudy would have to hold up & Bertans shooting is going to be missed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd guess that White, Murray, Walker, and Poeltl will all be better/ more impactful, and there will be little or no drop off with Aldridge, DeRozan, or Gay-- so that's a plus. But the West has improved over last year, with The Clippers, Lakers, Jazz, & Pelicans getting better, and Golden State & OKC getting worse-- so that makes the schedule a tad more difficult. Barring major injuries, I'd still bet on a 50 win team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd guess that White, Murray, Walker, and Poeltl will all be better/ more impactful, and there will be little or no drop off with Aldridge, DeRozan, or Gay-- so that's a plus. But the West has improved over last year, with The Clippers, Lakers, Jazz, & Pelicans getting better, and Golden State & OKC getting worse-- so that makes the schedule a tad more difficult. Barring major injuries, I'd still bet on a 50 win team.
    no they didn’t. I expect Pels to be still at the bottom of the barrel. Agree Spurs are 50 plus win. I really thought with Morris, Spurs were locked at WCF vs nephews team tbh.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What changed? He hated them as recently as the end of last season and obviously they didn't exactly make sweeping changes . . . which leads me to believe he's heard something specific about the development of the youth, that could potentially alter their ceiling,
    like Murray's 3 has improved to the extent that playing their best 5 in stretches would become tenable.
    I wouldn't call this guy a Spurs hater but I get what you are saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no they didn’t. I expect Pels to be still at the bottom of the barrel. Agree Spurs are 50 plus win. I really thought with Morris, Spurs were locked at WCF vs nephews team tbh.
    I am very interested to see how the Pels do this season. I don’t know if they will be better or not, but they intrigue me. AD’s on/off numbers were not very good, iirc. Plus he was injured a lot last season and his contract/trade sideshow had a disruptive effect on the team. They have a few players I like - especially Randle. Ultimately their season seems to depend on how good Zion is, and how well he and Randle mesh. They could be a very dynamic duo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am very interested to see how the Pels do this season. I don’t know if they will be better or not, but they intrigue me. AD’s on/off numbers were not very good, iirc. Plus he was injured a lot last season and his contract/trade sideshow had a disruptive effect on the team. They have a few players I like - especially Randle. Ultimately their season seems to depend on how good Zion is, and how well he and Randle mesh. They could be a very dynamic duo.
    Julius Randle signed with the Knicks.

The only veteran player they have that I like is Jrue, and they'll probably flip him. He doesn't fit on what is clearly otherwise a rebuilding team.

Thread Information