Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No young free agents ever come to SA willingly. Why didn't we pull a Warriors/D'Angelo Russell situation where we got at least something back? Better than Thaddeous Carroll rotting on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling him Thaddeus Carroll is stupid. Young is still obviously a good player who they aren't playing. DeMarre was washed. Dude hasn't even gotten a Field of Dreams call-up like Johnson and Thomas have.

Mark's a mediocre player on a long-term deal. I don't regret the Spurs taking Thad and a first over him, though you can argue that Portland's first or LNJ would've been better returns. We'll see how a Young trade works out. We're back to the point that the Spurs might consider being buyers rather than sellers. If so, Young's buoyant expiring is much better ballast than Mark's meh long-term deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markkanen is horrible. Another guy who doesn’t understand how mediocre he is. Doesn’t rebound. Doesn’t defend. He’s a big, slow three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when pop signed DeMarre Carroll.
    Good times
    Are Holts still paying DeMarre?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who the wants Lauri Markkanen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier maybe I was entertaining the thought, just because Spurs was just too short. But Landale is playing great, likewise Diop and hopefully Zollins. I’m still optimistic Spurs could still flip Thad’s contract to a FRP which should end all this. I didn’t think I would say it, but I’m actually happy with the roster that we have.

And part of me is rooting for them to make the playoffs and reward the young squad for working hard. And part of me is hoping a high draft pick to complete the rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. You want Young’s contract bc it ends soon. Mark wanted big time money and a lot of playing time and seemed like a malcontent. All things you don’t want to have on a young roster. Having a veteran player who is a pro like Young always helps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just end thad's misery already

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is already looking like a slimmed-down albatross.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is already looking like a slimmed-down albatross.
    Even though his contract is for a lot of money, I wouldn't call it an albatross because it's expiring. Even if the Spurs buy him out, they still got (what should become) a first for a player who was going to walk anyway.

I still think there might be a mini bidding war among contenders near the deadline, but it's looking less likely that the Spurs can get another first for Thad. A good second or two mediocre ones, perhaps with a young reclamation project, is more realistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it still irks me that the spurs were reportedly interested in markkanen this past summer. to think that the spurs could have had that hack in the lineup instead of landale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier maybe I was entertaining the thought, just because Spurs was just too short. But Landale is playing great, likewise Diop and hopefully Zollins. I’m still optimistic Spurs could still flip Thad’s contract to a FRP which should end all this. I didn’t think I would say it, but I’m actually happy with the roster that we have.

And part of me is rooting for them to make the playoffs and reward the young squad for working hard. And part of me is hoping a high draft pick to complete the rebuild.
    I agree with you 100%. Had the exact same thoughts, we just needed some size and a bit of shooting. Landale may not be out playing Markannan yet..., but he sure is doing great for his salary which is a lot. less. The play ins or playoffs don't seem that far away any more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take Landale over Markannan all day and every day -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Chicago wouldn’t have included the same picks as they did with Thaddeus Old. They may have been wanting Spurs to give up picks to get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though his contract is for a lot of money, I wouldn't call it an albatross because it's expiring. Even if the Spurs buy him out, they still got (what should become) a first for a player who was going to walk anyway.

I still think there might be a mini bidding war among contenders near the deadline, but it's looking less likely that the Spurs can get another first for Thad. A good second or two mediocre ones, perhaps with a young reclamation project, is more realistic.
    I was talking about Lauri.

His play is even somewhat worse than last year, when I'd have wanted a FRP attached from the Bulls in any trade for him.

I am glad we didn't get him.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have not handled their assets correctly in other ways . . . too many guards still and there was clearly something they thought they had in place but fell through, leading to two players getting cut at the position of most need.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was talking about Lauri.

His play is even somewhat worse than last year, when I'd have wanted a FRP attached from the Bulls in any trade for him.

I am glad we didn't get him.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have not handled their assets correctly in other ways . . . too many guards still and there was clearly something they thought they had in place but fell through, leading to two players getting cut at the position of most need.
    Ah, my mistake. Yes, I wouldn't want Markkanen on his current contract either.

I agree about that last part. There are too many centers too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland is using Markkanen really wisely, sandwiching him defensively between Jarrett Allen & Mobley, with some Okoro rotations sprinkled in. His contract is pretty reasonable, too. Turned out to be a good signing for them. If Cleveland keeps improving & becomes an actual contender, I think it's with Markkanen as a 7' shooter off the bench, which is a pretty nice weapon to have... and by the time the '23, '24, & '25 seasons roll around, his contract will be viewed as a bargain, just a small percentage higher than the MLE by then.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 12-27-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad is just to match salaries. Its Lauri or a first rounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bumping considering the season he is having this year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bumping considering the season he is having this year...
    You mean ing up Utahs tank? C’Mon. He’s just a big version of McD, all O no D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, not many of us were high on Mark, but lets not change the narrative here

Most of us have to take the L on Mark - hes having a great season on a winning team. Cant deny that just because our takes look bad now lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, not many of us were high on Mark, but lets not change the narrative here

Most of us have to take the L on Mark - hes having a great season on a winning team. Cant deny that just because our takes look bad now lol
    exstatic would never

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like the two firsts over Markkanen. But if he were playing like this on last year's team, it would be very interesting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya me too. I still take the firsts and I’m good with it. But he’s playing great. Both are true imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't be a hypocrite and say I saw this coming, but props when they're due. The guy is playing his a$$ out, carrying a Utah team that seemed hopeless just a few weeks ago.

Thread Information