Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs put themselves in a position to get assets through either trading their players or being part of a salary dump for draft picks. But it just depends on if the opportunity arises. They did the smart thing for their situation, but it is kind of the luck of timing. In theory, the race is wide open so it favors the bold for teams that have championship aspirations. But not many le contenders have assets to make trades. Spurs have priced their players high in the trade market. But I think Toronto opening for business will diminish the Spurs's assets and I think there is probably not a big deal out there that will require the Spurs to use their salary cap. At least, not right now with no other superstars likely to demand trades between now and Thursday.
    They don’t need one big deal, and in fact may do better with several smaller ones.

Please don’t tell me that you think the Spurs are now scrambling to find partners. They’ve probably had a number of teams contact them about renting some cap space, and have redundant trades lined up. Just remember, the whole Kyrie to LA thing was dead for at least four months until this week. They wouldn’t have been twiddling their thumbs during that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see this thread get to 50+ pages of hypothetical trade discussions only for the Spurs to do nothing at the deadline

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see this thread get to 50+ pages of hypothetical trade discussions only for the Spurs to do nothing at the deadline
    That would be par for the course.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As per usual, we like what we have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It cracks me up how this board goes from "the Spurs can end up with 4 FRPs" right after TiMVP's article came out to "the Spurs have priced themselves out of the market and have squandered their cap space" just 24 hours later because the Spurs weren't part of the Kyrie trade. While I think it is now unlikely that they get the most coveted prize available--the 2027 Lakers unprotected FRP--I would bet money that they have at least a couple of cap space rental trades lined up in case nothing better comes along. My guess is that they end up with at least 2 lottery protected 1sts and 1 or 2 SRPs before it is all said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It cracks me up how this board goes from "the Spurs can end up with 4 FRPs" right after TiMVP's article came out to "the Spurs have priced themselves out of the market and have squandered their cap space" just 24 hours later because the Spurs weren't part of the Kyrie trade. While I think it is now unlikely that they get the most coveted prize available--the 2027 Lakers unprotected FRP--I would bet money that they have at least a couple of cap space rental trades lined up in case nothing better comes along. My guess is that they end up with at least 2 lottery protected 1sts and 1 or 2 SRPs before it is all said and done.
    That's very optimlstic IMHO. 1FRP and 1SRP would already be a success.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's very optimlstic IMHO. 1FRP and 1SRP would already be a success.
    I see the Spurs using their own 2nd round pick which will likely be 32 or 33 like last year to move up to a non-lottery 1st. That strategy seems to have worked very well for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Settle down. The deadline isn't today. Normally teams don't finish deals until the last day because things always pop up. The Kyrie and Hachimura trades were unusual.
    Last edited by Mr. Body; 02-06-2023 at 01:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the Irving trade isn't even official yet. It's not impossible that it'd eventually become a larger one, with one or two more teams involved. Both Nets and Mavs have other moves to make.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAS just said he's hearing KD may be moved by the deadline and that Boston is trying to acquire him with JB as the centerpiece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston should go for it, but Durant is injury prone and getting old at this point. This is the thing that would lead to the late decade pick swap getting to be potentially good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston should go for it, but Durant is injury prone and getting old at this point. This is the thing that would lead to the late decade pick swap getting to be potentially good.
    if there was a year to make an all-in push, its this one. there is no juggernaut team. lebron isnt a threat. warriors are stumbling. this is the opening.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAS just said he's hearing KD may be moved by the deadline and that Boston is trying to acquire him with JB as the centerpiece
    They must really think JB is bouncing after his contract and trying to get ahead of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/st...60781572595729
    Celtics Injury Report Update at Detroit tonight:
    Jaylen Brown - Illness (Non-COVID) - QUESTIONABLE
    Danilo Gallinari - Left Knee ACL Repair - OUT
    Luke Kornet - Left Ankle Sprain - OUT
    Marcus Smart - Right Ankle Sprain - OUT

Hmmmm....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there was a lot of HMMM over josh richardson missing a game or two then he played. ive stopped reading into those

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams in luxury tax (and amount they would need to shed to clear tax per Spotrac)

PHI $1.2
    DEN $10.5
    PHX $17.1
    LAL $19.9
    BOS $23.5
    DAL $24.1
    MIL $26.4
    BKN $29.2
    GS $39.2
    LAC $41.7

Some of those teams are repeaters and two have bills of $140mm+. Total is $684mm of projected taxes, which will undoubtedly come down as teams do some shedding. Without it coming down, the other 20 teams each net $34.2mm.

In addition, 9 other teams are within $5mm of the tax, so that limits ability to take on money in trades.

This should create tons of opportunities for the Spurs to “buy” assets for their space.

A team like the Suns has a $35mm tax bill as a repeater that can swing $70mm in the other direction if they dump Saric and Crowder into the Spurs’ cap space. They can also get there with a Poeltl for Ayton swap (not necessarily to Spurs, could be rerouted).

On the far end of the spectrum are the Warriors and Clippers. Both are competing, but every dollar of salary costs them 4.75x in marginal additional tax payments (it’s actually more because they’re more than $20 over the tax). Shedding Reggie Jackson’s $11 million could save the Clippers like $65 million.

Long winded way of saying there will absolutely be trades done, and the Spurs will extract assets from them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They must really think JB is bouncing after his contract and trying to get ahead of it.
    Even in his geriatric state, KD is a far superior player to JB. Doesn’t have to be anything else to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saw a tweet about Cavs targeting J. Rich

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be sick to get a DET and HOU win tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams in luxury tax (and amount they would need to shed to clear tax per Spotrac)

PHI $1.2
    DEN $10.5
    PHX $17.1
    LAL $19.9
    BOS $23.5
    DAL $24.1
    MIL $26.4
    BKN $29.2
    GS $39.2
    LAC $41.7

Some of those teams are repeaters and two have bills of $140mm+. Total is $684mm of projected taxes, which will undoubtedly come down as teams do some shedding. Without it coming down, the other 20 teams each net $34.2mm.

In addition, 9 other teams are within $5mm of the tax, so that limits ability to take on money in trades.

This should create tons of opportunities for the Spurs to “buy” assets for their space.

A team like the Suns has a $35mm tax bill as a repeater that can swing $70mm in the other direction if they dump Saric and Crowder into the Spurs’ cap space. They can also get there with a Poeltl for Ayton swap (not necessarily to Spurs, could be rerouted).

On the far end of the spectrum are the Warriors and Clippers. Both are competing, but every dollar of salary costs them 4.75x in marginal additional tax payments (it’s actually more because they’re more than $20 over the tax). Shedding Reggie Jackson’s $11 million could save the Clippers like $65 million.

Long winded way of saying there will absolutely be trades done, and the Spurs will extract assets from them.
    Lakers are screwed. They have to find a taker for Russ (us), and they know that door is closed by pricing. Clippers could toss us a 2028 lotto protected FRP, but them. Golden state has a decent chance, and also has a 2028 pick available. Brooklyn is screwed. No picks, and even some of their swaps are already optioned into other swaps. Boston can trade anything 2025 and later. Only our swap is out there. Milwaukee can trade their 2029. Phoenix has all of their FRPs available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saw a tweet about Cavs targeting J. Rich
    They absolutely need a wing. Unfortunately, they have no FRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

PHI $1.2
    DEN $10.5
    PHX $17.1
    LAL $19.9
    BOS $23.5
    DAL $24.1
    MIL $26.4
    BKN $29.2
    GS $39.2
    LAC $41.7

Good stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They absolutely need a wing. Unfortunately, they have no FRPs.
    Barely any contenders have anything to work with. The market is wonky - so much traded out already. The Stepien Rule screws us, but is good for the league; otherwise the top teams would have traded even the in-between picks out completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barely any contenders have anything to work with. The market is wonky - so much traded out already. The Stepien Rule screws us, but is good for the league; otherwise the top teams would have traded even the in-between picks out completely.
    I even went through their roster, and the younger players either don’t amount to anything, or would be off limits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s the SpursTalk way

Thread Information