Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how Kispert could be 1 when Murphy III doesn't even make the top 10, which runs counter to the "Big Board" where they're ranked in the same tier.

If the former is a McDermott type and the latter a (Cam) Johnson type, it's probably wiser to go with the one whose unlikely to be a target for opposing defenses and is closer to a true combo forward/stretch four.

If they're going to go with an older, high floor role playing type though, might as well look into trading back with the Thunder or Knicks.
    I had forgotten about Murphy 3, I like him too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. I think he’ll be a favorite eventually once fans see how the offense looks with a shooter like him.

I mean, I said elsewhere, I could eventually end up a big fan, he could change a lot of what they do on offense, provide a different dimension moving off screens and such.

Easily could end up being a favorite.
    yeah, he would help the offense

but it’s like Bertans 2.0. You can only root so much for a guy like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'll bet that Kispert is much more rounded and impactful than Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All those kispers two handed jams are nice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bertans that isn’t a soft Euro. Think Joe Harris.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can only hate him so much, either. If the team improves, fans will get behind it. He’s possibly the player that will have the greatest impact year one. Duarte too but we have guard redundancy, so his playing time could be less. Now, year three he’s likely not much better but I suspect we’ll have more lottery picks in the future. Grabbing a useful piece has its own logic. We aren’t drafting four and getting Suggs. At 12, in this draft, do we really want to debate Jalen Johnson vs Ziaire. Hey, I’m intrigued at trading back to get 19 and 21. If Moody is there, would Thibs do it? Maybe. With 19 and 21 we could get possibly get Ziaire and another player. I’m intrigued by Deuce McBride. Seems like a Spurs type. He’d be there at 21. , get Garuba and Deuce and those are two scrappy AF players.

Anyway. Just random thoughts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how Kispert could be 1 when Murphy III doesn't even make the top 10, which runs counter to the "Big Board" where they're ranked in the same tier.
    Keen observation, my guy

I was going to include a note about that but didn't think anyone would care.

The Big Board also factored in my opinion of players. In the "most likely" write-up, I tried to look at the picks strictly from the Spurs' perspective. I like Murphy III because he's a big wing who will probably be a good defender against those big wing initiators the Spurs have struggled against since you-know-who got traded away. He's also been a really good shooter going back to his high school days. A 6-foot-9 mobile defender who could be a 40% three-point shooter is valuable in my eyes ... even if Murphy III will do nothing else other than shoot and defend.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have always been weirdly hesitant to go after big wings. Between Hedo and Nephew we begged for them to at least get a legit long wing for the bench who can be used in certain matchups ... and it never really happened in those ~8 seasons. Since Neph was gifted, they again don't appear concerned about filling what still looks like a need.

So, yeah, looking at the draft from the Spurs' perspective, since there's little to no historical evidence that they factor in the size of wings, then Murphy III is just a super one dimensional shooter ... which takes away half of his value and drops him out of the top ten.

I would be surprised if the Spurs take Murphy ... but I'd be okay with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey Murphy shouldn't be a lottery pick. Kispert aside, Murphy is pretty limited in what he can do, although those are nice things. His splits are excellent as a shooter. Unfortunately, he can barely dribble out of trouble and may only ever be a catch-and-shoot guy. Meanwhile, he was often hidden in Virginia's scheme on defense. They have an exceptional system and he played well there, but he doesn't have many wrinkles to his game. As one analyst said, he was often put on the other team's worst offensive player and the other team often put their worst defensive player on him. Not to say he doesn't have intriguing upside, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Kispert, who has some wrinkles and other things he can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey Murphy is like a 6'9" Danny Green

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kai is obviously the best pick. We need to shoot for high ceiling guys at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keen observation, my guy

I was going to include a note about that but didn't think anyone would care.

The Big Board also factored in my opinion of players. In the "most likely" write-up, I tried to look at the picks strictly from the Spurs' perspective. I like Murphy III because he's a big wing who will probably be a good defender against those big wing initiators the Spurs have struggled against since you-know-who got traded away. He's also been a really good shooter going back to his high school days. A 6-foot-9 mobile defender who could be a 40% three-point shooter is valuable in my eyes ... even if Murphy III will do nothing else other than shoot and defend.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have always been weirdly hesitant to go after big wings. Between Hedo and Nephew we begged for them to at least get a legit long wing for the bench who can be used in certain matchups ... and it never really happened in those ~8 seasons. Since Neph was gifted, they again don't appear concerned about filling what still looks like a need.

So, yeah, looking at the draft from the Spurs' perspective, since there's little to no historical evidence that they factor in the size of wings, then Murphy III is just a super one dimensional shooter ... which takes away half of his value and drops him out of the top ten.

I would be surprised if the Spurs take Murphy ... but I'd be okay with it.
    One dimensional is a term I tend to use for someone like Forbes. He only provides one dimension of the game, shooting, and ancillary to that scoring. If you look at Forbes he is mostly a shooter but he can score if run off the line and is good in the midrange, but that’s all. There is no defense whatsoever or any playmaking. To me that’s one dimension.

If someone can defend and shoot well, that’s not a one dimension. That’s a valuable role player. He plays both ends, provides some value even if he’s not getting many shots or has an off night. I do get your use of the term referring to offense.

If the Spurs do trade down (I’d be surprised if it happens but it’s a possibility), he’s a good target.

The Spurs aren’t averse to tall wings. They drafted Anderson, Bertans and were rumored to have interest in Batum and Kyle Kuzma, who were drafted just a pick or two before their turn. Heck I was just even forgetting Samanic because who can blame me? He has barely played. And let’s not forget busts like Livio Jean Charles, and a ticket they got on Metu.

They have looked at guys of that size over the years but they aren’t a dime a dozen. Many end up as bigs and not really big wings and frankly the best of their bunch (aside from Kawhi) was Kyle (and he was a low first round pick).

I think they like tall guys just fine, (Samanic even proves my point, he was taken b4 Johnson who has been better), but they have taken Best Available Player for their slot on various years, which has often meant taking a guard or a wing that is guard size.

It could very well be that they pass on Murphy 3 if they stay at 12, but it’s likely to happen bc there’s someone they like more (not bc of his size), which I am totally fine with so long as he doesn’t look to be years away from being a useful player.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-29-2021 at 08:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey Murphy shouldn't be a lottery pick. Kispert aside, Murphy is pretty limited in what he can do, although those are nice things. His splits are excellent as a shooter. Unfortunately, he can barely dribble out of trouble and may only ever be a catch-and-shoot guy. Meanwhile, he was often hidden in Virginia's scheme on defense. They have an exceptional system and he played well there, but he doesn't have many wrinkles to his game. As one analyst said, he was often put on the other team's worst offensive player and the other team often put their worst defensive player on him. Not to say he doesn't have intriguing upside, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Kispert, who has some wrinkles and other things he can do.
    Thanks for this scouting report. I haven’t looked Murphy 3 much beyond some highlights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, Danny Green would be a lottery pick in the 2009 redraft, and that was a year where multiple HOFers entered the league. Acting like getting another Green would be a waste of a pick is bull . Dude would be worth his weight in gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can easily see Wagner & Sengun on the Spurs wish list at 12, but if they are gone by then, then I can see Kispert as being their next best choice for their draft pick at 12, especially for his shooting skills to spread the floor. GSG!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, Danny Green would be a lottery pick in the 2009 redraft, and that was a year where multiple HOFers entered the league. Acting like getting another Green would be a waste of a pick is bull . Dude would be worth his weight in gold.
    Agreed...but do you think Murphy is a 6'9" Danny Green, as has been suggested here? I like him but, I'm not sure he's that... I have him as a mid first rounder so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to take him at 12 but, the DG comparison I'm not sold on.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun is going to end up being one of the top 5 best players from this draft. Pray he falls to 12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren’t averse to tall wings.
    That's ... not what I said. Put simply, I think there's a specific need for a quick-footed ~6-foot-8 player who can defend out on the perimeter that should be accounted for when putting together a roster. Just like how you always want to keep around a big, bulky center just in case that playertype is needed against specific opponents. The Spurs have never shown that they believe a quick, defensive ~6-foot-8 player is a specific need when building a roster. Thus, I don't think Trey Murphy III is an especially likely pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have never shown that they believe a quick, defensive ~6-foot-8 player is a specific need when building a roster.
    Or when Morris frauded them they had no Plan B.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's ... not what I said. Put simply, I think there's a specific need for a quick-footed ~6-foot-8 player who can defend out on the perimeter that should be accounted for when putting together a roster. Just like how you always want to keep around a big, bulky center just in case that playertype is needed against specific opponents. The Spurs have never shown that they believe a quick, defensive ~6-foot-8 player is a specific need when building a roster. Thus, I don't think Trey Murphy III is an especially likely pick.
    Except that's what Bruce Bowen was.

The Spurs repeatedly tried to get that player, coming close in some situations in FA, but never landed one. It's not that they've failed to try.

EDIT: And then that's what Kawhi Leonard was. I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Mr. Body; 07-29-2021 at 01:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Wagner for my boy Dejounte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't speak too much for how the Spurs behaved when I was a teenager, but I think the Spurs have valued size quite a bit but valued basketball skill more. So at the end of the drafts when the choice is between talented bigs or smalls, or less talented 6-8 guys, they went for the former and tried to make up for it by taking fliers on guys like Gee, Gist, Reynolds, etc. When they had the chance to pick the better tall-wing prospects, they went for George and Kawhi. they even went with Samanic at 18 for that exact reason.

I've been on ST long enough to know about how the lack of 6-8 defenders has almost been a meme. That idea hasn't really held water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t believe how many still haven’t accepted that back to basket players like Sengun are no longer relevant in this league. Did you not just go thru 5 years of LaMarcus Aldridge? LA could shoot from distance and still held little value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t believe how many still haven’t accepted that back to basket players like Sengun are no longer relevant in this league. Did you not just go thru 5 years of LaMarcus Aldridge? LA could shoot from distance and still held little value.
    His game is very different from Aldridge's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His game is very different from Aldridge's.
    Yes. Much better passer. Point I was making is that he’s still a pound it down low type player. 4 down offensive days are long gone.

Thread Information