Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One interesting tidbit I've heard directly is that the coaches association and the agents who rep coaches really wants Pop to keep coaching. They want Pop to normalize NBA coaches coaching beyond the age of 70. As it is, they believe that age discrimination makes it nearly impossible to keep coaching beyond the early 60s. If Pop can have success into his 70s, that'd help other older coaches (specifically 70-year-old Mike D'Antoni) stay in the game longer.

As for what Pop will do ... I don't know. MoSpur02 is a proven insider so I'd say trust what he says until proven otherwise, tbh.
    Is he having success though? Missing the playoffs likely 3 years in a row? Beyond that it’s a unique situation where Pop is a huge figure and basically can’t be fired.

Not sure other teams will feel the same way with other coaches regardless due to the uniqueness of the situation paired with some serious lackluster results/coaching last few years.

And I don’t mean any disrespect to Pop; he’s a legend. I’m just questioning this line of thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing back Forbes is all the answer that we need to know

No Limit For Life NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What better way to TANK than to have Pop on the sideline?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing Pop, the day he does retire, there won't be an announcement. Training camp will start, Pop won't be there and that's how everyone will find out.

Either that or in a press release where his retirement is buried beneath the news of a new Coyote costume washer.
    One of the reasons I think he'll retire is I don't think he wants the all time win record. If he coaches this year I have a hard time believing he doesn't get it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you heard of ANYONE within the org suggest and have it reach ownership/managements ears that perhaps a coach more in tune with modern basketball strategy would improve the TEAMS chances?
    From whoever is just below President of Everything Spurs Lord Pop on down to the nightime custodial staff.
    No I have not. Like I said ownership really likes Pop. I am sure if/when Pop decides to retire that they will have someone already in mind lined up. That’s just my opinion though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping Pop sticks around for another season or two, but when I read that there was "bad intel" from the Spurs in regards to Hammond when she was interviewing for other teams, I kind of got the feeling she was being protected for a possible promotion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he wants the all time win record.
    Based on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I have not. Like I said ownership really likes Pop. I am sure if/when Pop decides to retire that they will have someone already in mind lined up. That’s just my opinion though.
    Is it safe to say you would hear if there were voices that thought of another way to go, such as not starting Bryn Forms and Patty together for large stretches?
    Remember that video of Tim Dunc and Becky on the sideline seeming reacting and talking about the lineup card with a WTF conversation seeming to be had.
    Or no, it's entirely possible there were/are voices questioning and you would not be privy to such?

While i have zero intentions of raining on anyone's Pop Oly parade, a. it's apples and oranges we're talking NBA here. b. holy cow France was within 3 albeit on defense with 10 seconds left. I'm sincerely glad the choke did not happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Four more years Pop!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get ready becky your time is now

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a 180 from what you heard before? Or do you think he was always coming back? Seems like you have some inside info...

i hadn’t really asked the last few months and over time. Only time I’ve ever asked I was told the replacement plan had 3 coaches in mind

budenholzer
    becky hammond
    Jay Wright

i asked recently before the draft and was told “as far as we know he’s coming back”

my source hasn’t been wrong yet, things may change etc, but as of before the draft, he’s coming back.

also he’s the #1 driving force behind letting the youth free. He’s advocated for it since the bubble.

its no surprise he’s the guy who pop really really wanted at the olympics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hadn’t really asked the last few months and over time. Only time I’ve ever asked I was told the replacement plan had 3 coaches in mind

budenholzer
    becky hammond
    Jay Wright

i asked recently before the draft and was told “as far as we know he’s coming back”

my source hasn’t been wrong yet, things may change etc, but as of before the draft, he’s coming back.

also he’s the #1 driving force behind letting the youth free. He’s advocated for it since the bubble.

its no surprise he’s the guy who pop really really wanted at the olympics
    i'm all for hammond getting her shot, and part of me has been hoping that it's with the spurs but if jay wright is available, i think the spurs have to hire him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s Brett Brown doing these days?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The hours given to Aldridge, Patty and Gay sure back that up.

The Bubble never happens if Bryn Bryn and LMA don't get injured.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw, EricB's "source" was the hot dog vendor in Section 305

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My sources are telling me he might be back and he might not.
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 08-09-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: because spelling matters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no it’s a random twitter account from a guy called James Greene who has 30 followers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone actually believe Pop is retiring at this point? Training camp is in like 6 weeks, there's no way he wouldn't have announced it by now if he was retiring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone actually believe Pop is retiring at this point? Training camp is in like 6 weeks, there's no way he wouldn't have announced it by now if he was retiring
    Nope.
    The pet Bryn signing was classic power trip move.
    You sure showed us Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    waiting for an update from tspence

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    waiting for an update from tspence

Tspence is/was legendary

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no it’s a random twitter account from a guy called James Greene who has 30 followers

its not but hey, you do you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do they cut the mus ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't see this happening now. Do y'all really think he would announce his retirement with only a few weeks before training camp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not coach the Spurs next season and will retire. I spoke with my source and there is a good amount of “we’re going to miss him” talk going around. Nothing official yet, but that is the feeling in the Spurs organization. I know a lot of people are speculating that he will retire after this past season especially after that one picture of him sitting alone so this might not be news, but thought I would share what I heard from my source.
    Update Sept 14th with 3 weeks to go until Game 1.
    He's got to be in.

Thread Information