80 75.47%
  • Prime Parker

26 24.53%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker. As great as Manu was, we would still need a PG. Parker in 2007 was a scorer who could get to the basket over and over, and was also an underrated defender. His ability to get in the paint and break down the defense would improve our spacing and get the 3pt shooting open.

If you choose Manu, then he would take a lot of minutes from Green which would diminish the defense. That is why I pick prime Parker for this question, not necessarily the same as who was the best player in their prime- Manu. I rate Manu higher in peak value and Parker higher in career value.
    Not necessarily...

On offense:

PG Manu
    SG Green
    SF Leonard
    PF Aldridge
    C Gasol

on Defense

Manu guards opposing SG
    Green guards opposing PG
    and every one else would guard their assigned counterpart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people who can't read

"but Only for this year, who would you pick?"

It doesn't matter who had the longer prime(Parker fwiw)

2009 Parker would turn our starting line up into world beaters, while even with TOSB Manu, our bench is still pretty good with prime Patty leading the way. Easy le favorites.

Meanwhile if you put prime Manu on this team, he would just make our already good bench, better, but our starting lineup would still struggle with TOSB Porker, TOSB Pau, and Fatass LMA.

Putting prime manu in the starting line up wouldn't work, nevermind the chemistry issues. Imagine trotting out Patty and TOSB Parker off the bench Would give up 40 ppg to opposing benches.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people who can't read

2009 Parker would turn our starting line up into world beaters, while even with TOSB Manu, our bench is still pretty good with prime Patty leading the way. Easy le favorites.

Meanwhile if you put prime Manu on this team, he would just make our already good bench, better, but our starting lineup would still struggle with TOSB Porker, TOSB Pau, and Fatass LMA.

Putting prime manu in the starting line up wouldn't work, nevermind the chemistry issues. Imagine trotting out Patty and TOSB Parker off the bench Would give up 40 ppg to opposing benches.
    /thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for calling me a got

There is no defending Manu as best player ever. Anyone saying that is a homer or trolling.
    Now MVP Harden vs Manu is a lot closer but on any NBA board that wouldn't even be a question
    A poster who would drink Manure's bath water calling you a got, lmfao.

Prime Manure wasn't a top 5 SG back then and he surely won't be right now. Good calling out the ridiculous homers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    //-- Best assist per game seasons (*per 36*)
    Parker:
    2012 - 7.7(8.7) - 32 mpg;
    2013 - 7.6(8.3) - 32 mpg;
    2009 - 6.9(7.3) - 34 mpg;

Manu:
    2011 - 4.9(5.8) - 30 mpg;
    2010 - 4.9(6.2) - 29 mpg;
    2013 - 4.6(7.1) - 23 mpg;
    2014 - 4.3(6.8) - 23 mpg;

//-- Best Points Per Game seasons (*per 36*)
    Parker:
    2009 - 22(23.2) - 50% - 32 mpg;
    2013 - 20.3(22.2) - 52% - 32 mpg;
    2006 - 18.9(20.6) - 54% - 33.9 mpg;

Manu:
    2008 - 19.5(22.6) - 46% - 31 mpg;
    2011 - 17.4(20.7) - 43% - 30 mpg;
    2010 - 16.5(20.7) - 44% - 28 mpg;

-------------------------------------------

That LeBron efficiency by Tony
    LeBron career FG%: 49.8%
    Tony career FG%: 49.4%

second best Spur ever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Prime Manure wasn't a top 5 SG back then and he surely won't be right now. Good calling out the ridiculous homers
    Top 5 objective poster on this board telling it like it is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    //-- Best assist per game seasons (*per 36*)
    Parker:
    2012 - 7.7(8.7) - 32 mpg;
    2013 - 7.6(8.3) - 32 mpg;
    2009 - 6.9(7.3) - 34 mpg;

Manu:
    2011 - 4.9(5.8) - 30 mpg;
    2010 - 4.9(6.2) - 29 mpg;
    2013 - 4.6(7.1) - 23 mpg;
    2014 - 4.3(6.8) - 23 mpg;

//-- Best Points Per Game seasons (*per 36*)
    Parker:
    2009 - 22(23.2) - 50% - 32 mpg;
    2013 - 20.3(22.2) - 52% - 32 mpg;
    2006 - 18.9(20.6) - 54% - 33.9 mpg;

Manu:
    2008 - 19.5(22.6) - 46% - 31 mpg;
    2011 - 17.4(20.7) - 43% - 30 mpg;
    2010 - 16.5(20.7) - 44% - 28 mpg;

-------------------------------------------

That LeBron efficiency by Tony
    LeBron career FG%: 49.8%
    Tony career FG%: 49.4%

second best Spur ever
    Michael Jordan-esque run you're on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When harden is at least top 3 in the MVP race...

You all have a good case for best homer ever tbh
    Harden is playing PG this year, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people who can't read

Manu did start in his prime, smh NASF...

People can read just fine, tbh... there's no reason he couldn't start as the lead playmaker with this team's makeup. Fearless Gino was an unstoppable force.

You can then bring Tony off the bench to statpad his numbers, which is a better role for him anyways, since freezing out Dedmon, Fathead or Simmons wouldn't be a big deal...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people who can't read

Logical fallacies left and right...

Prime Parker was never a defensive threat... Prime Ginobili was a two-way player...

Prime Parker was never a threat from 3... Prime Ginobili could score 3-pointers from anywhere on the court... transition/spot-up/step-back no matter... in today's NBA that skill is golden.

The go-ahead buckets of several memorable Spurs playoff games were orchestrated by Ginobili running point --- not Parker...

The series clinching bucket by Duncan in Game 6 vs. The Sonics (at Seattle) was created by prime Ginobili...
    The series defining bucket by Horry in Game 5 vs. The Pistons (at Detroit) was created by prime Ginobili...
    The series defining 3-point shot to force overtime by Duncan in Game 1 vs. The Suns was created by prime Ginobili...
    etc...

Fact is Prime Ginobili could run the point... because HE WAS the Spurs' DEFACTO point guard "in the Clutch" from 2005-2011. Only haters and fools fail to acknowledge this very obvious fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Prime Parker was never a defensive threat... Prime Ginobili was a two-way player...

Prime Parker was never a threat from 3... Prime Ginobili could score 3-pointers from anywhere on the court... transition/spot-up/step-back no matter... in today's NBA that skill is golden.

The go-ahead buckets of several memorable Spurs playoff games were orchestrated by Ginobili running point --- not Parker...

The series clinching bucket by Duncan in Game 6 vs. The Sonics (at Seattle) was created by prime Ginobili...
    The series defining bucket by Horry in Game 5 vs. The Pistons (at Detroit) was created by prime Ginobili...
    The series defining 3-point shot to force overtime by Duncan in Game 1 vs. The Suns was created by prime Ginobili...
    etc...

Fact is Prime Ginobili could run the point... because HE WAS the Spurs' DEFACTO point guard "in the Clutch" from 2005-2011. Only haters and fools fail to acknowledge this very obvious fact.
    Some fans started watching the Spurs 2010 onwards, tbh... you can tell right away...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some fans started watching the Spurs 2010 onwards, tbh... you can tell right away...
    The worst part is that this team needs a boost in the arm when it comes to defense...

Two of the biggest defensive deficiencies RIGHT NOW (and cause for the Spurs' slow starts) are Parker and Gasol.

In the context of the OP question - Prime Parker replacing his current self doesn't really address that issue... Prime Ginobili replacing Parker OTOH is a huge upgrade on that side of the ball...

Prime Ginobili was swatting Durant and Wade on breakaway dunk attempts... swatting KG and Brad Miller at the rim... swatting Kobe and Paul Pierce from behind on step-through shot attempts... Ginobili was picking the pockets of some of the best ball-handlers of his era (Iverson, Kidd, Nash) and getting steals in the clutchest of moments... Ginobili was a one-man-wrecking crew... TBH his eye-to-hand coordination is freakishly the stuff of legend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ probably one of the worst posts I've seen all year.... coming from Phenomanul. I'm sure there's no bias

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst part is that this team needs a boost in the arm when it comes to defense...

Two of the biggest defensive deficiencies RIGHT NOW (and cause for the Spurs' slow starts) are Parker and Gasol.

In the context of the OP question - Prime Parker replacing his current self doesn't really address that issue... Prime Ginobili replacing Parker OTOH is a huge upgrade on that side of the ball...

Prime Ginobili was swatting Durant and Wade on breakaway dunk attempts... swatting KG and Brad Miller at the rim... swatting Kobe and Paul Pierce from behind on step-through shot attempts... Ginobili was picking the pockets of some of the best ball-handlers of his era (Iverson, Kidd, Nash) and getting steals in the clutchest of moments... Ginobili was a one-man-wrecking crew... TBH his eye-to-hand coordination is freakishly the stuff of legend.
    Close thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ probably one of the worst posts I've seen all year.... coming from Phenomanul. I'm sure there's no bias
    There's no denying Ginobili is one of my favorite players.

That said, all of my statements are substantiated by all of the relevant advanced metrics.

FACT: Ginobili was simply a better defender than Parker (at any point of his career). DRPM validates this premise overwhelmingly so.

FACT: Ginobili was running point for the Spurs in the 4th quarters during his prime. Any observer of the Spurs games from that period can validate this statement - as can a simple YouTube search.

Real bias... such as yours comes from unsubstantiated and uncorroborated statements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had enough of these player fans re-writing history so it fits their agenda.

Who did Pop ever assign Manu to stop? (Besides scrubs like Rick Fox ) I mean most coaches put their 2-way players on stars....

Westbrook can't shoot for and he's still one of the most dominant forces in the league. Like Parker, you can't stop him from getting to the rim.

etc...
    Spurs were about to win a championship in 2013 and that Parker dagger over Lebron would've been up there with Sean's Memorial Day miracle. Thank Ginobili for ruining that year. Just like you can thank him for MANY other un-clutch moments in his career like the Dirk foul and all the missed step back bricks he had late in games that you never bring up etc, etc

Both players could run the point. Stats just back up Parker as the better point, as 313 posted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had enough of these player fans re-writing history so it fits their agenda.
    So why do YOU keep doing it.

Who did Pop ever assign Manu to stop? (Besides scrubs like Rick Fox ) I mean most coaches put their 2-way players on stars...
    Logical fallacy No. 1: Ummmm... How is this a counter argument to me saying that Ginobili was a way better defender than Parker...? Fortunately the Spurs were blessed to have a player by the name of Bruce Bowen playing on the team. You may have heard of him. Bruce is considered one of the Top-5 best perimeter defenders ever - but that isn't a knock on Manu. More importantly, it isn't one that favors Parker.

Westbrook can't shoot for and he's still one of the most dominant forces in the league. Like Parker, you can't stop him from getting to the rim.
    I'm not saying prime Parker wasn't a force. I was a fan of Tony transition game, his skills in the paint. What I'm saying is that prime Ginobili was a force on both sides of the ball. In the context of the OP question we will also need better defense to stop the likes of Golden State. IT is a very real need on THIS TEAM, RIGHT NOW. Prime Parker simply doesn't provide that skill. Prime Ginobili does.

Spurs were about to win a championship in 2013 and that Parker dagger over Lebron would've been up there with Sean's Memorial Day miracle. Thank Ginobili for ruining that year. Just like you can thank him for MANY other un-clutch moments in his career like the Dirk foul and all the missed step back bricks he had late in games that you never bring up etc, etc
    Logical fallacy No. 2: I'm sorry, the question was about Prime Manu. Most here agree that Manu was no longer SuperManu in 2013. And yes, his only unclutch moment in his prime was the foul on Dirk in 2006. Ironically, that mistake occurred right after having put the Spurs up by 3 in one of the clutchest 3 pointers he's ever made. Let's not pretend like that series wasn't one of the wackiest officiated series ever either... the Spurs would've prevailed despite Ginobili's error if the obvious foul on Duncan's game-winning attempt is called. I mean why not? The average FTA for both teams over the course of 7 games was over 31.8 FTA per game - but no, Bavetta and company decided to swallow their whistles on the last play.

Both players could run the point. Stats just back up Parker as the better point, as 313 posted
    Much of Parker's success at point was his high usage pairing with Duncan. His PNR with Duncan often resulted in points because of Duncan's greatness. This statement is easily validated by analyzing the percentage of Parker's assists that were executed by Duncan vs. execution by the rest of his teammates. OTOH Ginobili's assists throughout his career have been more evenly distributed because the offense he generated wasn't as dependent on Duncan's finishing. Despite lower assist numbers (per game or even per 36) his assist ratio is HIGHER when Duncan is taken out from both of their averages. He made players like DeJuan Blair, Splitter, Nazr, Bonner, Oberto, Nesterovic appear better than they were because he would generate such easy looks for them. Since the Spurs no longer have a low-post dominant player like Duncan, saying that Prime Parker would be the better distributor just based on his higher assist averages would be a fallacy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a pointless argument, we'll never change each other's minds Phenomanul

As an unbias fair Spurs fan, I would take Parker. As by your own words, you will take your favorite player Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

etc...

Parker not being a defensive threat didn't stop the Spurs from winning in 03, 05, 07...

We have shooting with Green, and Kawhi.. the starting line up needs a slasher to collapse the defense..

claims I'm the one using logical fallacies
    follows it up with logical fallacies of his own
    at cherry picking singular possessions as if they're independent from the other 100 or so possessions a game
    if there's a 20-2 run in the third that gets a team back in the game, then that's just as important as a go ahead bucket at the end
    likewise if a player plays so well there is no need for a go ahead bucket, then how do you quantify that by your methods?

For example. In that series clinching game at Seattle, Tony had a go ahead jumper at 88-89 that gave us a lead until it was tied up at 96-96, ultimately setting Manu up for the game winning assist. He also assisted on a Tim jumper to tie it 80-80 and a Barry 3 to give us the lead at 83-82. Are you seeing the flaw in your logic? I'm not denying Manu had good moments at PG btw, he was the closer for years. Doesn't mean it would've worked out the same for him to be the de facto starting point guard, boyo.

But anyway, I can cherry pick too.

The series clinching, proverbial dagger layup by Tony in game 5 vs the suns(2005). Sealed the deal despite Manu trying his best to choke the game away..
    Game 1 vs the Suns in 2007, Tony scores 30, making crucial jumpers to give us the lead while Manu is splitting FTs... again, trying his best to choke the game away
    Game 7 vs the Mavs, 2014, Tony scores 14 in the first quarter of an elimination game, Mavs never recover..
    Destroying LeBron in the finals in 2007

And I'm assuming you only want to take examples from years where we won the championship because how many GREAT playoff runs by Duncan(2006) and Tony(2013) were wasted because of boneheaded play by Manu? 2004, 2006, 2013, possibly more if you include his broken down TOSB years like 2012 where he was dragging the team down by not being healthy

Nonetheless, Manu is cemented as fourth best Spur all time, we'll never see another like him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu did start in his prime, smh NASF...
    I'm aware he came to the team in his physical prime, but he really hit his stride in the 04-05 season imo..05-11(7 seasons), vs 06-13(8 seasons)...but I mean, it doesn't really matter tbh imo fwiw

People can read just fine, tbh... there's no reason he couldn't start as the lead playmaker with this team's makeup. Fearless Gino was an unstoppable force.
    He sure was unstoppable in 2004, and 2006..and 2009.. But choking aside, he was great as a situational closer. Him running point on this team, however, would mean we would have to move Porky to backup PG, and mills to backup SG, which would give us a bench unit of Porky, Mills, Simmons(Anderson instead to add length?), Lee, Dedmon? We would get destroyed defensively. Taking prime Parker just works better.

You can then bring Tony off the bench to statpad his numbers, which is a better role for him anyways, since freezing out Dedmon, Fathead or Simmons wouldn't be a big deal...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for calling me a got

There is no defending Manu as best player ever. Anyone saying that is a homer or trolling.
    Now MVP Harden vs Manu is a lot closer but on any NBA board that wouldn't even be a question
    I didn't say that Manu is the best player ever. I'm only saying that most people (except haters) would choose prime Manu over Harden, because the reasons i have wrote before, and is not closer. Prime Manu beated Usa Team with Argentina, c'mon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

please, you're the biggest homer in the forum. If i drink that, maybe you eat Parker's .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a pointless argument, we'll never change each other's minds Phenomanul

As an unbias fair Spurs fan, I would take Parker. As by your own words, you will take your favorite player Manu.
    I see you will continue to play the "jump to conclusions" game...

The OP question is subjective by nature. There is no "right" answer. And such responses are based on our views on what the current version of the Spurs needs. What gaps need they address?

To you the answer to the OP is Prime Tony. Fine.

To me the answer to the OP is Prime Ginobili because I feel we've lost a step on defense. That's my opinion. We will need that this season to get by Golden State.

The laughable bit, is you claiming that my opinion is based on just preferential bias alone without anything to substantiate said opinion.

YOU ARE KNOWN ON THIS SITE as a Ginobili hater. It is your shtick. And here's the kicker, you didn't pick in favor Tony. You picked against Ginobili because of your unabashed hatred towards him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker not being a defensive threat didn't stop the Spurs from winning in 03, 05, 07...
    Because the Spurs had one Timothy Theodore Duncan, Bruce Bowen and to a lesser degree Manu Ginobili... with those three, Parker's defense just needed to be above average to not be a team sinking liability. A Prime Parker on this team, would be a liability.

We have shooting with Green, and Kawhi.. the starting line up needs a slasher to collapse the defense..
    Prime Ginobili was a quintessential slasher... the fact that you keep denying this simple truth is disingenuous.

Yes. I agree Parker was an amazing, if not a better slasher than Prime Ginobili... but Prime Manu gives you some of that slashing capability and then more.

claims I'm the one using logical fallacies
    follows it up with logical fallacies of his own
    at cherry picking singular possessions as if they're independent from the other 100 or so possessions a game
    if there's a 20-2 run in the third that gets a team back in the game, then that's just as important as a go ahead bucket at the end
    likewise if a player plays so well there is no need for a go ahead bucket, then how do you quantify that by your methods?
    Your missing the point of my examples...

Your point was to suggest that Prime Manu would have to be relegated to the bench, and that the current Spurs team doesn't have a need at the bench. Which is why in the context of your own self imposed constraint you ended up picking Parker. You don't see the circular logic...?

Manu was a bench player not because he was inferior in any way form or fashion, but because it strategically made our team that much more superior during the entire 48 minute stretch. It balanced out our attack and for years, the Spurs were the model team - Ginobili's sacrifice being a big part of that.

My examples then showed that Prime Ginobili did have the gravitas to LEAD, because the floor general mantle was already thrust upon him (appointed by Pop himself) - as he was the DEFACTO closer.

For example. In that series clinching game at Seattle, Tony had a go ahead jumper at 88-89 that gave us a lead until it was tied up at 96-96, ultimately setting Manu up for the game winning assist. He also assisted on a Tim jumper to tie it 80-80 and a Barry 3 to give us the lead at 83-82. Are you seeing the flaw in your logic? I'm not denying Manu had good moments at PG btw, he was the closer for years. Doesn't mean it would've worked out the same for him to be the de facto starting point guard, boyo.

But anyway, I can cherry pick too.

The series clinching, proverbial dagger layup by Tony in game 5 vs the suns(2005). Sealed the deal despite Manu trying his best to choke the game away..
    Game 1 vs the Suns in 2007, Tony scores 30, making crucial jumpers to give us the lead while Manu is splitting FTs... again, trying his best to choke the game away
    Game 7 vs the Mavs, 2014, Tony scores 14 in the first quarter of an elimination game, Mavs never recover..
    Destroying LeBron in the finals in 2007
    Again, none of this shows that A) Ginobili couldn't have been a capable starter. B) a capable PG

The very same reasons you listed while suggesting Parker was the obvious choice.

And I'm assuming you only want to take examples from years where we won the championship because how many GREAT playoff runs by Duncan(2006) and Tony(2013) were wasted because of boneheaded play by Manu? 2004, 2006, 2013, possibly more if you include his broken down TOSB years like 2012 where he was dragging the team down by not being healthy

Nonetheless, Manu is cemented as fourth best Spur all time, we'll never see another like him
    Seriously you are blaming Manu for 2004?

The fact that you feel you have to tear Ginobili down for you to make your arguments is the very same reason why I believe you and the TGY are full of bias.

As for 2006, everybody including Manu will tell you he committed the grandest of sins. But let's not pretend like he didn't contribute. He was far and away the team's second best player in that playoff run against Dallas - averaging 21.3 PPG with a TS% of 67.4, 86.7% from the FT line on 60 attempts. He willed us to victory at Dallas to setup Game 7 - 30 points on 8-14 shooting, 10 rebounds, 3 steals, etc... while Parker went cold shooting 3-15. In other words, you can't win them all... but Ginobili certainly tried.

And 2013? Seriously???? As I said before, no one here would include that year as being part of Manu's prime...

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Porker Pumpers getting BTFO ITT. Losing the poll by a landslide and losing every argument by a landslide.

Thread Information