Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    What's y'alls favorite wood to smoke with?

Being from Texas, I feel obligated to say mesquite. But I definitely love oak as of late. It's dense, so more effort in getting logs going, but burns so much longer and the flavor is perfectly subtle, even when you get w heavy smoke going. Sometimes mesquite will get overbearing when it gets too smoky.
    We always use H-E-B oak wood chips. And a pork boston butt.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think this is the one I'm going to ask Santa for.

That's a ing beast of a grill, the last one you'll ever need

IMO, all the new wave Traeger's and pellet grills, etc.. All that automated crap that turns any average re into a BBQ expert.. A good, heavy gauge, regular old BBQ pit with an offset smoker is where it's at.. These automated grills take all the fun out of setting a goal for a BBQ and serving a damn good selection of meats for game day, or whatever it is you're doing

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's y'alls favorite wood to smoke with?

Being from Texas, I feel obligated to say mesquite. But I definitely love oak as of late. It's dense, so more effort in getting logs going, but burns so much longer and the flavor is perfectly subtle, even when you get w heavy smoke going. Sometimes mesquite will get overbearing when it gets too smoky.
    Hickory/mesquite mix for me

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    That's a ing beast of a grill, the last one you'll ever need

IMO, all the new wave Traeger's and pellet grills, etc.. All that automated crap that turns any average re into a BBQ expert.. A good, heavy gauge, regular old BBQ pit with an offset smoker is where it's at.. These automated grills take all the fun out of setting a goal for a BBQ and serving a damn good selection of meats for game day, or whatever it is you're doing
    yea man I was going back and forth with pellet or stickwood and I don't think I could get the same bark with pellet. It seems easier but I like the art of smoking and maintaining the fire.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It seems easier but I like the art of smoking and maintaining the fire.
    Exactly.. If you wanna combine the best of both worlds get a WI-FI thermometer at most and monitor the temps from anywhere in real time.. Makes smoking briskets so much easier

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No Spurtacular in this thread, so I'm guessing he's vegetarian.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    I saw Andy posted in here and just assumed he was going to say he uses a Foreman tbh. Knowing Andy it would be whatever the Walmart brand foreman is though

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw Andy posted in here and just assumed he was going to say he uses a Foreman tbh. Knowing Andy it would be whatever the Walmart brand foreman is though
    I'm pretty sure he just microwaves them

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Microwaved Monte cristo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Microwaved Monte cristo
    LOL. That sounds like a Judy recipe. I'll have to remember that one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL. That sounds like a Judy recipe. I'll have to remember that one.
    Nope, dumbass Andy said that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nope, dumbass Andy said that
    I remember it now. In fact, I think I was one who brought up Monte Cristos.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We have one of the Traeger pellet things. I don’t care for it. I personally could happily live without ever eating smoked meat and if I do eat it I’d rather have it at a restaurant and have the work done for me. But thats just me As far as the Traeger itself goes, the smoking part is easy enough, but the plate that slides back to expose the flame for grilling is very small, only big enough for one steak. So grilling more than one steak or 2 burgers at a time takes constant moving of the meat to get an even grill. My personal meat needs were met better when we just did a propane grill and one of those upright electric smokers. So I think the Traeger is a bit overkill for a family that consumes maybe one brisket or pork shoulder, one turkey, 6 racks of ribs and 4 chickens per year from the smoker, but we do have grilled burgers, steak or seafood at least once per week.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We have one of the Traeger pellet things. I don’t care for it. I personally could happily live without ever eating smoked meat and if I do eat it I’d rather have it at a restaurant and have the work done for me. But thats just me As far as the Traeger itself goes, the smoking part is easy enough, but the plate that slides back to expose the flame for grilling is very small, only big enough for one steak. So grilling more than one steak or 2 burgers at a time takes constant moving of the meat to get an even grill. My personal meat needs were met better when we just did a propane grill and one of those upright electric smokers. So I think the Traeger is a bit overkill for a family that consumes maybe one brisket or pork shoulder, one turkey, 6 racks of ribs and 4 chickens per year from the smoker, but we do have grilled burgers, steak or seafood at least once per week.
    Oh lord. The material here. Your personal “meat needs”?

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh lord. The material here. Your personal “meat needs”?
    Yea I love meat but I don’t have to eat it every day. And I definitely don’t need to deal with a brisket for a week or as long as it takes for my family to get tired of it before I throw the whole thing out anyway

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yea I love meat but I don’t have to eat it every day. And I definitely don’t need to deal with a brisket for a week or as long as it takes for my family to get tired of it before I throw the whole thing out anyway
    What the ?? I've never heard of someone struggling to get rid of brisket leftovers

Also, @ personal meat needs, you just gave SpursforSix a 26%-er

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What the ?? I've never heard of someone struggling to get rid of brisket leftovers

Also, @ personal meat needs, you just gave SpursforSix a 26%-er
    I'm pretty proud of the restraint I showed.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ha, sounds exactly like something my husband and sons would say—while as we speak there is a gray lump in the back of my fridge Yea they always say crap like “oh man this is great, we got dinner all week” etc. But we all know that after the first day it’s just warmed up meat and gets more easily forgotten with every heating. I always take what I need for beans, chile colorado, green chile stew and flautas/tacos but more than likely some gets tossed when the sandwich appeal is gone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm pretty proud of the restraint I showed.
    It's actually called E.D.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's actually called E.D.
    Bend over, I'll ing show you E.D.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I always take what I need for beans, chile colorado, green chile stew and flautas/tacos but more than likely some gets tossed when the sandwich appeal is gone.
    Bend over, I'll show you tossed

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bend over, I'll show you tossed
    amateur. you gotta think next level

I always take what I need for beans, chile colorado, green chile stew and flautas/tacos but more than likely some gets tossed when the sandwich appeal is gone.
    Bend over, I'll ing give you what you need for beans

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Ha, sounds exactly like something my husband and sons would say—while as we speak there is a gray lump in the back of my fridge Yea they always say crap like “oh man this is great, we got dinner all week” etc. But we all know that after the first day it’s just warmed up meat and gets more easily forgotten with every heating. I always take what I need for beans, chile colorado, green chile stew and flautas/tacos but more than likely some gets tossed when the sandwich appeal is gone.
    your husband is Mexican right?

Thread Information