Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    the big should be a priority. The fact that they are this good with like Powell and a very inconsistent Kleber is already a miracle. I also dont believe Brunson is good enough to be a #2 on a championship team, so a sign and trade for a big should be in Cuban's mind. Myles Turner and Capela would be guys that they could get and make that position better. I have no idea how they will get a second all star tho. Bertans and Dinwiddie's contracts are almost impossible to trade, so they are ed with those, probably for at least another year... They should also keep Bullock and DFS, as i think they are solid role players, but other than that, theres not much in the team for keeping.... If they go into the next season with the same roster they wont be in top 4, cause the Clippers and Denver at full strenght are just better. Not even Luka can change that.
    It just came to my mind, a guy like CJ McCollum would help. I always said Klay would be a perfect Luka teammate, but thats impossible.
    The good news for the Mavs you don’t need a Staaaaacked team just a better balanced one. Bucks weren’t stacked last year but roles were defined and the only guys making $20 million or more iirc were Giannis Middleton and Jrue. Their 4th and 5th starters made $20 million combined. That is the model the Mavs should chase but finding the #2 and #3 is the tricky part. But Because of their two way ability I’d much rather have Jrue or Middleton over anything on the Mavs roster. Brunson should have a Lopez type salary (with a bump due to age) but can’t tell me he worth double Lopez salary and expect Luka to lead that team to a le. He is amazing but not a miracle worker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the big should be a priority. The fact that they are this good with like Powell and a very inconsistent Kleber is already a miracle. I also dont believe Brunson is good enough to be a #2 on a championship team, so a sign and trade for a big should be in Cuban's mind. Myles Turner and Capela would be guys that they could get and make that position better. I have no idea how they will get a second all star tho. Bertans and Dinwiddie's contracts are almost impossible to trade, so they are ed with those, probably for at least another year... They should also keep Bullock and DFS, as i think they are solid role players, but other than that, theres not much in the team for keeping.... If they go into the next season with the same roster they wont be in top 4, cause the Clippers and Denver at full strenght are just better. Not even Luka can change that.
    It just came to my mind, a guy like CJ McCollum would help. I always said Klay would be a perfect Luka teammate, but thats impossible.
    They have nothing to trade but they need 3 and D guys like Klay, only every team values these guys so they aren't that available. They almost have to develop one but Luka might not be up for that wait.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have nothing to trade but they need 3 and D guys like Klay, only every team values these guys so they aren't that available. They almost have to develop one but Luka might not be up for that wait.
    thats why the only real option getting a solid player is a S&T with Brunson. And if they can somehow put Hardaway/Dinwiddie in that deal its a win. I think Dallas will still wanna keep Brunson, so they will probably get rid of Hardaway and a pick for a big. But yea, that won't be enough to make the team a champion. Like Killakobe81 metioned, the Bucks system is great, but finding a Middleton and Holiday for Dallas this offseason will be pretty much impossible. Luka will stick around and see what they can build around him, but if after 2 years the roster will still look like this, he will want out.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Agree with posts above but outside of developing one over paying someone who isn’t 3 and D or a high level #2/3
    How does that help them get closer to a le? If they have to overpay a big ti fill that hole understand that too but having Brunson at $25 million plus when added to the Hardaway and Dinwiddie contracts makes a path to a championship seem impossible as constructed. Prime MJ Kareem or LeBron not winning with this roster.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If Nico drafts smart then the Mavs will be fine. Poor mid-to-late first round scouting is what has killed this franchise since Nellie left. Unfortunately Cuban will probably interfere and let another crypto bro gambler run his drafts for him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Agree with posts above but outside of developing one over paying someone who isn’t 3 and D or a high level #2/3
    How does that help them get closer to a le? If they have to overpay a big ti fill that hole understand that too but having Brunson at $25 million plus when added to the Hardaway and Dinwiddie contracts makes a path to a championship seem impossible as constructed. Prime MJ Kareem or LeBron not winning with this roster.
    The only other option is to give Luka a “foot injury” and tank for a year or two to reload like the D-Rob Spurs or Curry Warriors. Losing Brunson for nothing would only be smart if they actually went this route, but there’s no way Luka agrees to it, plus they still owe a first rd pick to NY next year.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The only other option is to give Luka a “foot injury” and tank for a year or two to reload like the D-Rob Spurs or Curry Warriors. Losing Brunson for nothing would only be smart if they actually went this route, but there’s no way Luka agrees to it, plus they still owe a first rd pick to NY next year.
    I say clear the decks even if you have to get 2 quarters on the dollar if it frees up cap space … and doesn’t cost significant draft capital. Luka needs help but the right kind of help is key. He is young I know everyone has put the Mavs FO on a doomsday clock but sometimes you need a step back to move forward. For the record I would prefer to give Brunson $20 million and keep him it’s the thJr and Dinwiddie contracts that I Don’t love. Having all 3 is a major problem.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So on the one hand, you were ready to give up Jalen Brunson after two bad games against the best team in the NBA, despite the fact that he dominated round one.

But you are ready to hand Spencer Dinwiddie, who has underperformed in the Playoffs at best (and been a complete no-show at worst) the second fiddle?

Not a big believer in either one of them. However, I'm sorta biased towards Spencer because he's not a 5'10 pylon to shoot over. Cuban has an unhealthy obsession with midgets, tbh.

Also, let's be real, Utah is a joke. Hard to get excited about Brunson's numbers vs those guys.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Bker

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not a big believer in either one of them. However, I'm sorta biased towards Spencer because he's not a 5'10 pylon to shoot over. Cuban has an unhealthy obsession with midgets, tbh.

Also, let's be real, Utah is a joke. Hard to get excited about Brunson's numbers vs those guys.
    Facts. I prefer Brunson as far as the “stuff” in his make up but you are not wrong size matters

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having a 5'10 scoring point guard who is a liability against some offenses is not championship deterrent, especially when your team defense is already one of the top in the NBA. If they can get better shot blocking on the interior, Brunson's size isn't as much of an issue.

The Mavs tried the "legit #2" approach with Porzingis. The current approach fits Luka's strengths better and gives him more freedom to operate.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Having a 5'10 scoring point guard who is a liability against some offenses is not championship deterrent, especially when your team defense is already one of the top in the NBA. If they can get better shot blocking on the interior, Brunson's size isn't as much of an issue.

The Mavs tried the "legit #2" approach with Porzingis. The current approach fits Luka's strengths better and gives him more freedom to operate.
    Porzingis was never a legit #2 and was hurt a bunch …hard to say they gave it a try.
    Name the under 6 foot scoring guards that were a top 3 player on a championship team while I wait …
    Parker Steph Kyrie are all taller than that …
    And Mavs team defense is pretty good but it’s not championship caliber.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porzingis was never a legit #2 and was hurt a bunch …hard to say they gave it a try.
    Name the under 6 foot scoring guards that were a top 3 player on a championship team while I wait …
    Brunson is not 5'10, but 6'1. Lowry was even smaller and he was a second option on a championship team, even tho that ring was won just cause of injuries.
    I'm also all for getting rid of Brunson, if i can get a legit big that can defend and play pnr with Luka. Don't know if the Mavs see it that way tho.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I mean you all could have just googled “jalen brunson height” and not looked re ed, but here we are.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Brunson is not 5'10, but 6'1. Lowry was even smaller and he was a second option on a championship team, even tho that ring was won just cause of injuries.
    I'm also all for getting rid of Brunson, if i can get a legit big that can defend and play pnr with Luka. Don't know if the Mavs see it that way tho.
    Siakm was the #2 in reality and many playoff games van fleet was the #3
    And when Lowry was a #2 they got ran in The playoffs …Kawhi coming pushed him to 3/4 range where he belonged and Brunson could win a le in that spot if a prime Kawhi/Luka is driving with a legit 2
    But let’s say Lowry was the #3 his defense was much better than Brunson’s
    And if you truly believe Brunson is 6 foot 1 …

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And yes, the Mavs need a legit #2, and Luka needs to adjust his game to fit in with a legit #2. Heliocentric offense doesn’t win in the playoffs. He has to have some help, and he has to trust them in big games.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I mean you all could have just googled “jalen brunson height” and not looked re ed, but here we are.
    Lol nba height + google so you believe Brunson is legit 6 foot 1? I have seen him here in DFW if he is 6 foot 1 I have magically grew after college because I’m 6 foot and could see the top of his head …

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Barea is listed at 6’0 but we all know he’s 5’9. Brunson is a good 4 inches taller, making him 6’1

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lol nba height + google so you believe Brunson is legit 6 foot 1? I have seen him here in DFW if he is 6 foot 1 I have magically grew after college because I’m 6 foot and could see the top of his head …
    I’ll take the NBA combine measurements over somebody on SpursTalk saying “i SaW hIm oNcE!”

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Barea is listed at 6’0 but we all know he’s 5’9. Brunson is a good 4 inches taller, making him 6’1

I’m telling you I have seen him and he maybe 6 foot I had dress shoes on so maybe that made me a few inches taller but he not 6 foot 1 he is not taller than me I seen this dude up close … all these cats lie about their height especially undersized guards

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I’m telling you I have seen him and he maybe 6 foot I had dress shoes on so maybe that made me a few inches taller but he not 6 foot 1 he is not taller than me I seen this dude up close … all these cats lie about their height especially undersized guards
    They measured him at the NBA draft combine, that’s not some Kevin Durant “lie about my height in the press release” figure.

I’m sorry your anecdotal evidence with zero actual measurements isn’t good enough. Take the L and move on.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I’ll take the NBA combine measurements over somebody on SpursTalk saying “i SaW hIm oNcE!”
    Ok fair point maybe I’m really 6 feet and half inch cuz I doubt my shoes were dat high …but he was in slides.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They measured him at the NBA draft combine, that’s not some Kevin Durant “lie about my height in the press release” figure.

I’m sorry your anecdotal evidence with zero actual measurements isn’t good enough. Take the L and move on.
    Relax I just said you made a fair point and dude was in slides …
    I already took the L

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need an outside presence so Doncic can move more freely. Same reason the Warriors needed all the 3pt threats.

Their path as constructed isn't impossible, it would just be lightning in a bottle since most of the team hasn't really displayed that next level yet. If they can keep the Suns shooting under 50% for the series that would be a start, but they have to get there first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he have his arm around you and were you wearing white pants?

Thread Information