My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland should sign Bill Walton.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do so many people wanna see this washed up inefficient iso player play in the league so bad?
    Player fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's assuming Melo finally puts his ego aside and accepts a smaller role. If he was willing to do that, OKC and Houston wouldn't have dumped him ASAP. I guess we'll have to see whether all that time off humbled him as a player.
    Exactly

With his size and today’s small ball he can help with rebounding

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Same old Melo:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 for 12 and rejected at the rim = Guests

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus/minus of -20 so far

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    4-14
    5 turnovers (team-high)
    Still refusing to accept anything less than a starting role

Imagine getting hyped up to see this selfish chucker return to the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nightmare start, what is carmelo thinking coming back to the in this shape besides trying(and successfully) conning one more team for a check.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never a Melo fan, but I think you guys are a bit harsh on him tonight. Hasn't played in 376 days. Give him a break. It's like you guys secretly want him to fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never a Melo fan, but I think you guys are a bit harsh on him tonight. Hasn't played in 376 days. Give him a break. It's like you guys secretly want him to fail.
    I don't think it's a secret

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Anthony or Kaepernick

Who had the bigger return flop?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's assuming Melo finally puts his ego aside and accepts a smaller role. If he was willing to do that, OKC and Houston wouldn't have dumped him ASAP. I guess we'll have to see whether all that time off humbled him as a player.
    I don't think it's just an ego thing. I really believe it is legitimately difficult for people like Melo, who have essentially played iso-ball since their early teens, to learn how to be an effective off-the-ball player in their mid-to-late thirties. They have played the game a certain way for 20+ years, and you can't just switch that off. Coaches can tell them where to be when a play begins, but once it breaks down, as it often does, I believe players like Melo simply don't have the instincts to make the correct decisions on a court because they never had to.

Or to put it differently, if Melo had a better spatial understanding and feel for the game, he would have been challenging LeBron throughout his career. But other than isolation scoring, often inefficiently, Melo never showed he had much understanding of how to keep his teammates involved, even in his prime. So, what makes people believe that he can re-learn the game now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, what makes people believe that he can re-learn the game now?
    Desire.
    He could learn to play modern team ball if he wanted to.
    Requires a personality adjustment. He's selfish and got enabled and pampered by the Nuggets and Knicks until Phildo said enough.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    4-14
    5 turnovers (team-high)
    Still refusing to accept anything less than a starting role

Imagine getting hyped up to see this selfish chucker return to the league.
    damn when i saw that stat line last night, i was like picking up right where he left off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn when i saw that stat line last night, i was like picking up right where he left off.
    I would say let's give the dipstick 10 games and see what happens. But ya, looks like he is exactly the same.

Coaching has to be blamed here too. WTF is Portland coach allowing this type of volume chucking along with turnovers?
    More turnovers then made baskets.
    Ok 1 game.
    Lets see if Melo and coach adjust.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "NBA is so hard"

Old bum walks onto court and scores double digits

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Desire.
    He could learn to play modern team ball if he wanted to.
    Requires a personality adjustment. He's selfish and got enabled and pampered by the Nuggets and Knicks until Phildo said enough.
    I think we honestly misjudge "basketball IQ" for other psychological factors (such as ego, desire, "toughness" etc.) because it makes for a better story.

But decision-making/feel/IQ for the game is arguably the most important factor for having a successful career in basketball, but also other sports, and also the most difficult skill to judge when evaluating players. The number of skilled athletes who still failed to make the highest impact is very high in basketball and other sports, and its often because making good decisions on a court just doesn't come natural to them.

Melo doesn't appear to be any worse of a person than other NBA stars. He clearly worked a lot on his body and game as well, to the point that even now he seems to be in a good shape. He doesn't appear to be unprofessional at all. But what LeBron sees on a court, and has seen since he was a kid, and what what Melo sees will always be very different. And I don't think that changes at age 35.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Melo doesn't appear to be any worse of a person than other NBA stars. But what LeBron sees on a court, and has seen since he was a kid, and what what Melo sees will always be very different. And I don't think that changes at age 35.
    Both agree and disagree. Remember when Kirbs Bryant went on a bit of an assist tear several years ago for 4-5 games (something like that.) Far from being unselfish, it seems like something was said to him about or by Magic Johnson so Kobme had to show he could do it by banging out some high assist to chucks games. And he did. Bravo, he was very good it. Of course his motivation quickly waned and he went back to being Kobme. Point being a seemingly unchangeable chucker proved he could be a good, great assist team player.

So I wonder if Melos court vision ability, while not matching LeBrons (cmon only a select % of pro's past and present do) could Melo likewise become a very good passer if he wanted to / was forced into? Even if Melo could not reach Temporary Kirby assist levels he certainly could improve.

Agree that his strength was scoring and especially end of game clutch situations. He was verifiably good at that.

Veteran
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Even Old Man Vince Carter has a better feel for the game now than Melo ever had. Some players have it, others don't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "NBA is so hard"

Old bum walks onto court and scores double digits
    I'd say it's easier than belting a home run, scoring a goal or having a solid passer rating your first game back in those respective sports with the same layoff. And that's assuming there's no injury factor that kept you out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Old Man Vince Carter has a better feel for the game now than Melo ever had. Some players have it, others don't.
    Vince Carter is a superior player. Vince Carter was Kobe Bryant without Shaq or MVPau. Top 30-50 talent, All Time. Melo clocks in somewhere from low 50s to 75ish.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Vince Carter is a superior player. Vince Carter was Kobe Bryant without Shaq or MVPau. Top 30-50 talent, All Time. Melo clocks in somewhere from low 50s to 75ish.
    Easy there pal

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Both agree and disagree. Remember when Kirbs Bryant went on a bit of an assist tear several years ago for 4-5 games (something like that.) Far from being unselfish, it seems like something was said to him about or by Magic Johnson so Kobme had to show he could do it by banging out some high assist to chucks games. And he did. Bravo, he was very good it. Of course his motivation quickly waned and he went back to being Kobme. Point being a seemingly unchangeable chucker proved he could be a good, great assist team player.

So I wonder if Melos court vision ability, while not matching LeBrons (cmon only a select % of pro's past and present do) could Melo likewise become a very good passer if he wanted to / was forced into? Even if Melo could not reach Temporary Kirby assist levels he certainly could improve.

Agree that his strength was scoring and especially end of game clutch situations. He was verifiably good at that.
    I honestly don't remember that stretch of play from Kobe. When did that happen?

I guess we are agree a lot Melo though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't remember that stretch of play from Kobe. When did that happen?

I guess we are agree a lot Melo though.
    2012-13 for 11 games.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1576644-ranking-most-impressive-stretches-of-kobe-bryants-career#slide1

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Hopefully people will stop crying that Melo was "blackballed" from the league now. It's not a conspiracy, he sucks and no serious team was ever going to waste a roster spot on him.

The way the media, fans and former players whined Melo back into the league is actually disrespectful to all the young players, D-Leaguers and two-way contract guys who are working their asses off for a spot in the league.

Thread Information