Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that RC is ing around in the CEO chair there is no point to the tank anymore. His drafting was this team's one real compe ive advantage but now it's going to be Wayne Wright or whatever the his name is in the GM chair making the picks. Probably end up with Lavar.
    I'm actually intrigued, tbh... wondering what somebody whose job is actually on the line for making those decisions does...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol @ the ppl thinking trading LMA AND DDR means we miss the playoffs... I actually think whoever we trade them for will make us significantly better, all while getting a draft pick or two

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so your solution is to .... lose?
    The solution is to trade them...not sure that is going to happen...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol @ the ppl thinking trading LMA AND DDR means we miss the playoffs... I actually think whoever we trade them for will make us significantly better, all while getting a draft pick or two
    I think so too. It’s not an either or choice. I think it’s an all or none choice. Trade DDR/LMA and get better for the future AND possibly make the playoffs. Or don’t trade them, don’t get better for the future, and don’t make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The solution is to trade them...not sure that is going to happen...
    The question is who will be trading with us... People are delusional to think Orlando is going to give up Gordon/Bamba without a pick from us in exchange for DD. Portland doesn't look too willing to trade for LMA when he's probably gonna go there anyways... The Pistons are too stupid to make any meaningful moves, but would be more or less the only option for the Spurs. I think the question therefore becomes - do you attach picks or young players to get rid of DD/LMA, or ride out their contracts?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question is who will be trading with us... People are delusional to think Orlando is going to give up Gordon/Bamba without a pick from us in exchange for DD. Portland doesn't look too willing to trade for LMA when he's probably gonna go there anyways... The Pistons are too stupid to make any meaningful moves, but would be more or less the only option for the Spurs. I think the question therefore becomes - do you attach picks or young players to get rid of DD/LMA, or ride out their contracts?
    Then you give up that pick to get gordon and/or bamba...they both fill a real need for your team...

Murray, Keldon, White, Walker, Poeltl, Luka, are the only players you don't put on the table unless you getting something significantly better back...everyone else is on the table...

The good news for the spurs is that this is addition by subtraction so you don't really need a lot back to "win" the trade...you trade Derozan and you get off his contract...get off of any negotiations you do for his next contract...get off a player who is a poor basketball fit for your team...then you start playing young players like lonnie and keldon more minutes who are good basketball fits for your team...

You could ride out the contracts...at worse they are for one more year...but why would you ride out the contract of veteran players who are not helping you win? LMA and DDR and to an extend Gay are on this team to be the primary go to guys to win games...if they aren't doing that...and they are so not doing that...there is no point in having hem on the team...

Spurs are bad...might as well be bad with young players and additional picks...rather than be bad with young players on the bench and old players not being good enough to consistently win games and getting one 1st round pick out of it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You could ride out the contracts...at worse they are for one more year...but why would you ride out the contract of veteran players who are not helping you win? ...
    Contrary to Spurstalk myth, DDR and LMA are in fact helping the team win. They are averaging 40 points per game, between them. Points win games.

Okay, say you wave goodbye to 40 points per game. You did that just for the touchy feely liberal reason of making the team "feel" better.

State exactly, in detail, in the real world, how you're going to get those points back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then you give up that pick to get gordon and/or bamba...they both fill a real need for your team...
    That's the thing... I don't want the Spurs giving up any picks. At least not unprotected, which is the bare minimum Orlando will demand if they're going to give up young prospects. I'm not sure that trading for Gordon/Bamba while losing your top scorer/s will end up bringing this Spurs team for the playoffs - and if it doesn't, I'd much rather have a pick to avoid wasting the year. The Spurs aren't in a situation where they should be looking to trade out their only picks - I think it would ironically be better to let both DD and LMA play out their contracts, and suck, as long as it meant not losing any picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contrary to Spurstalk myth, DDR and LMA are in fact helping the team win. They are averaging 40 points per game, between them. Points win games.

Okay, say you wave goodbye to 40 points per game. You did that just for the touchy feely liberal reason of making the team "feel" better.

State exactly, in detail, in the real world, how you're going to get those points back.
    If you trade DeRozan give Walker 20 shots per game and he will score the same amount of points as DeRozan. It's not Rocket science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you trade DeRozan give Walker 20 shots per game and he will score the same amount of points as DeRozan. It's not Rocket science
    Not rocket science, but it's speculation at this point. When Lonnie has played, oh, maybe 20 games while averaging, say, 15+ points per game, it could start to become real. He has not done that yet. Everybody would be great if we all got credit for what we might do.

Lonnie is a promising player, no doubt. But it's only in the last five games he's begun to get consistent playing time. That is not enough to be sure he could compensate for not having DDR.

The numbers in that small sample are nice, tho. Over the last five games Lonnie has scored 69 points on 48 shots, a rate of 1.44 pts/shot.

Over that same span, DDR has 97 points on 83 field goal attempts, which is 1.17 pts/shot. So sure, Lonnie looks superior by comparison, but give it 20 or 30 more games, then let's take another look. Five games is just not enough.

For comparison to an out-and-out gunner, who's running pretty hot, over his last five games James Harden has scored 209 on 144 attempts, which is 1.45 points per field goal attempt.

Fans of Lonnie (which includes me) can smile to see that for their last five games, Lonnie and Harden are virtually identical in their points per attempt, 1.44 versus 1.45. That has little meaning since it's such a small sample, but it's cool to look at.

But again, the point is, we don't know enough yet, that's all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the thing... I don't want the Spurs giving up any picks. At least not unprotected, which is the bare minimum Orlando will demand if they're going to give up young prospects. I'm not sure that trading for Gordon/Bamba while losing your top scorer/s will end up bringing this Spurs team for the playoffs - and if it doesn't, I'd much rather have a pick to avoid wasting the year. The Spurs aren't in a situation where they should be looking to trade out their only picks - I think it would ironically be better to let both DD and LMA play out their contracts, and suck, as long as it meant not losing any picks.
    Who cares about losing the top scorer when your team is bad and your top scorer could leave next year for nothing?

What guarantee do the spurs have that the player they draft with the draft pick they keep instead of giving it to orlando turns out to be a better player than gordon and/or bamba?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares about losing the top scorer when your team is bad and your top scorer could leave next year for nothing?

What guarantee do the spurs have that the player they draft with the draft pick they keep instead of giving it to orlando turns out to be a better player than gordon and/or bamba?
    It depends on the Spurs' plan for the future. If they decide to tank out a few seasons (which would likely correlate with any DD trades), that pick could be very valuable, moreso since the Spurs don't have any other team's picks to replace their own selection, unlike teams like the Thunder. Moreover, the Spurs, as a franchise that prides itself in and excels at drafting and developing players - they would probably want to stick to their strengths and could very well believe their own selection to be more valuable than Bamba/Gordon, who aren't playing well at the moment. This all leads me to believe the Spurs would prefer to make trades where returns are diminished, so long as their own picks aren't on the table.

Thread Information