Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2513
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know your point, but I like the Spurs entire organization and the players. But lately my faith in PATFO has been shaken.
    His point is that the way you worded your support was extremely fair-weather-fan-like. Saying you supported the Spurs "against all odds" because they were "the best, managed team of ALL professional sports", but now that they're going through a rebuilding & turbulent stage, you're questioning your allegiance to the team.

Not that I care, you can be a fan of whatever you like for whatever reasons - but he made a pretty solid point, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at Spurs Twitter today it seems the Ben Simmons acquisition is still a hot topic....it won't die...
    I'm extremely confident we're not getting him, just like I was extremely confident that DDR was off the team after the play-in game. Spurs don't have the main asset Philly wants (young All-Star or star-to-be; closest thing we have is Keldon, and after his Olympic Gold with Pop at the helm, he's about as untouchable as you can get within the current situation), nor are in a win-now position where they'd be willing to part with the 3-4 FRPs the 76ers are asking for Benny.

Not to mention all the moves the Spurs have made, have the team pretty loaded on bigs. Given any team getting Simmons will probably try the oh-so-obvious point-forward position with him, I don't really see him fitting on the Spurs roster (well, that, and his diva behavior being completely antiethical to Spurs' culture, location and media market). I'm not nervous at all about these agent-spun rumors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at Spurs Twitter today it seems the Ben Simmons acquisition is still a hot topic....it won't die...
    This is his agency trying to generate a market for him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a little reflection, you're correct about Porzingis/Poeltl. It's an obvious consideration I should have caught.

One reason I'm fond of the Cam Reddish rumors is he can guard 1-4, and some small ball 5s. He's a dumpster fire on offense, but would give the Spurs a lot of interesting defensive options and a lot of defensive continuity between various 5-man configs in between the 1st quarter 6:00 mark and the 4th quarter 6:00 mark. I'd give the Spurs even odds of making him into enough of three point shooter that he'd have trade value at the '23 deadline.

Am I saying I'd prefer Cam Reddish (at his salary) than Porzingis (at his salary)? I think so. Don't hate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His point is that the way you worded your support was extremely fair-weather-fan-like. Saying you supported the Spurs "against all odds" because they were "the best, managed team of ALL professional sports", but now that they're going through a rebuilding & turbulent stage, you're questioning your allegiance to the team.

Not that I care, you can be a fan of whatever you like for whatever reasons - but he made a pretty solid point, tbh.
    There’s a big emphasis on “well-managed.” It’s not like I’m a bandwagon fan. I’ve been supporting the Spurs since DRob rookie year. But that “well-managed” team seems to be making questionable decisions lately.

Still, I’m warming up on the idea that Primo could be a potential top 5 caliber at next year’s draft, pair him with another top pick next year. If that pans out, PATFO has done it again!

It’s that bigger picture that regular fans like me have problems seeing sometimes

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm extremely confident we're not getting him, just like I was extremely confident that DDR was off the team after the play-in game. Spurs don't have the main asset Philly wants (young All-Star or star-to-be; closest thing we have is Keldon, and after his Olympic Gold with Pop at the helm, he's about as untouchable as you can get within the current situation), nor are in a win-now position where they'd be willing to part with the 3-4 FRPs the 76ers are asking for Benny.

Not to mention all the moves the Spurs have made, have the team pretty loaded on bigs. Given any team getting Simmons will probably try the oh-so-obvious point-forward position with him, I don't really see him fitting on the Spurs roster (well, that, and his diva behavior being completely antiethical to Spurs' culture, location and media market). I'm not nervous at all about these agent-spun rumors.
    If we moved for Simmons---don't think Spurs will overpay for him---a three team trade seems more likely. Simmons would be our center. To my mind, we'd have to move poeltl to a third team who sent a player to Philly. The too easy/kind of lazy idea that comes to mind is like Poeltl, Young, and Aminu to Golden State (Aminu buy out), Wiggins and a GS first to Philly, two San Antonio firsts and Tre Jones to Philly. Simmons becomes our starting center. We keep the youngsters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a big emphasis on “well-managed.” It’s not like I’m a bandwagon fan. I’ve been supporting the Spurs since DRob rookie year. But that “well-managed” team seems to be making questionable decisions lately.

Still, I’m warming up on the idea that Primo could be a potential top 5 caliber at next year’s draft, pair him with another top pick next year. If that pans out, PATFO has done it again!

It’s that bigger picture that regular fans like me have problems seeing sometimes
    Yeah, I get what you're saying, but (don't shoot the messenger!) the original comment you meant implied that your allegiance to the Spurs rested on how well-ran they were, hence the other posters' comment about being fair-weather.

I definitely think the next few years will be a trying time for the Spurs... We'll see what comes out the other side. I don't think this off-season has been nearly as negative as some paint it to be, but also understand the skepticism. Above all though, I want to see the team play... So many of our questions can/will be answered within the first 10 games or so, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is his agency trying to generate a market for him.
    Simmons is not going to be traded for Damon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons will not be a Spur and I don’t want him or his broke jumper anyways. Dude’s a loser with a at ude tbh. The complete opposite of a Spurs-type player.

Still think Portland is Philly’s best bet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we moved for Simmons---don't think Spurs will overpay for him---a three team trade seems more likely. Simmons would be our center. To my mind, we'd have to move poeltl to a third team who sent a player to Philly. The too easy/kind of lazy idea that comes to mind is like Poeltl, Young, and Aminu to Golden State (Aminu buy out), Wiggins and a GS first to Philly, two San Antonio firsts and Tre Jones to Philly. Simmons becomes our starting center. We keep the youngsters.
    No way this happens for multiple reasons.

First is the most obvious - Simmons doesn't want to play as a C at all ( , he doesn't even wanna play PF for that matter), and certainly won't take well to being traded and forced to bang with opposing centers all night long. That's a recipe for disaster, especially given Simmons' clear character concerns. Second - is Simmons at C really such an upgrade over Poeltl for the Spurs? Of course, the surface-level answer is "YES, absolutely!", but look closer - Simmons is as fatally flawed as Jakob shooting-wise, provides only marginally better defense than Jakob does (probably worse defense against Cs, which you don't really want out of your starting C), does provide the much better passing and transition game, and marginally better scoring (which as seen, you can't rely on). And on the other hand, he's owed something like $40M per year, for the next 4 seasons, compared to Jakob's measly $9M. Not enough of an upgrade in clear areas to justify such a big salary jump, IMO, especially when he'd be by and large the highest paid player on the Spurs.

Those are the big reasons, and also the ones I previously mentioned (Simmons' diva at ude probably turning off the Spurs' FO especially after Nephew fiasco, Spurs' uncertain future making the FO unwilling to part with future picks, especially the amount required to land BS, etc). I think the Spurs butting in as a third team to facilitate a Simmons trade isn't out of the table, but I definitely don't think we'd be getting Simmons in that deal, more like a pick and a bad salary from the team getting BS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons will not be a Spur and I don’t want him or his broke jumper anyways. Dude’s a loser with a at ude tbh. The complete opposite of a Spurs-type player.

Still think Portland is Philly’s best bet.
    have you not followed the team since duncan retired?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the question is the team of Cadillac Anderson and Walter Berry better than this team today?
    I hated that time…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way this happens for multiple reasons.

First is the most obvious - Simmons doesn't want to play as a C at all ( , he doesn't even wanna play PF for that matter), and certainly won't take well to being traded and forced to bang with opposing centers all night long. That's a recipe for disaster, especially given Simmons' clear character concerns. Second - is Simmons at C really such an upgrade over Poeltl for the Spurs? Of course, the surface-level answer is "YES, absolutely!", but look closer - Simmons is as fatally flawed as Jakob shooting-wise, provides only marginally better defense than Jakob does (probably worse defense against Cs, which you don't really want out of your starting C), does provide the much better passing and transition game, and marginally better scoring (which as seen, you can't rely on). And on the other hand, he's owed something like $40M per year, for the next 4 seasons, compared to Jakob's measly $9M. Not enough of an upgrade in clear areas to justify such a big salary jump, IMO, especially when he'd be by and large the highest paid player on the Spurs.

Those are the big reasons, and also the ones I previously mentioned (Simmons' diva at ude probably turning off the Spurs' FO especially after Nephew fiasco, Spurs' uncertain future making the FO unwilling to part with future picks, especially the amount required to land BS, etc). I think the Spurs butting in as a third team to facilitate a Simmons trade isn't out of the table, but I definitely don't think we'd be getting Simmons in that deal, more like a pick and a bad salary from the team getting BS.
    Simmons is the perfect defensive center in today's league. He an switch on anyone. He is a damn good defender. It's not a slight upgrade over Poeltl at defending. It's much better. Yeah Poeltl could guard Jokic or Embid better. But the difference is that both those offensive players will burn both Simmons or Poeltl if you guard them one on one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is the perfect defensive center in today's league. He an switch on anyone. He is a damn good defender. It's not a slight upgrade over Poeltl at defending. It's much better. Yeah Poeltl could guard Jokic or Embid better. But the difference is that both those offensive players will burn both Simmons or Poeltl if you guard them one on one.
    It's not about what Simmons could do as a C, it's about what he wants to do on the court. This isn't a Magic Johnson, "I'll do anything it takes to win, even play C in the Finals, it" kinda player. Not even an Anthony Davis, "I'll play up a position to save my body from banging against Cs during the season, but get down to the grind in the POs" kinda player. This is a "I'm scared to shoot and miss and embarrass myself, so to the detriment of the entire team, I simply refuse to shoot any kind of jumpers" kinda player. With a diva complex to boot.

In theory I agree, especially in the modern NBA, Simmons can be a GREAT rolling C - setting mean screens, agile enough to be switched onto literally anyone in the perimeter and stand his ground, whilst being strong enough to defend most players not named Embiid or Jokic. Perfectly versatile. But it's not about that when you're talking Ben Simmons, is it? How many years now have Sixers fans been deluding themselves over what Simmons could be if he oh-so-easily started shooting 3's (any kind of jumper for that matter), instead of failing his team year after year, then posting the predictable "Working on my game" empty gym draining 3's clip to social media (he's already posted this off-season's btw)?

With a player like Simmons, you never look at what can be. You look at what is. And what he is, is a stubborn "PG" with a diva at ude and no game to back that at ude up, being run off town by his own fanbase yet thinking he's clouted enough to demand to be traded to this or that team (all big markets, btw).

I'll stick to Purtle and pray he sinks his FTs, tbqh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scouting for Austin maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

D-Robs teams were almost never well managed. So that’s a bad point in itself. But notice how people will say that if you want your team to be well managed then you’re not a real fan

Like if you don’t agree with every single bad move our team makes then you’re not a fan. No it just means I want them to be good and ty moves don’t make my team good. Jak is our center. That’s bad. We signed a back up Center who won’t play this year. And we re-signed Bryn Forbes. That’s bad management and not wanting this doesn’t make you fair weather.

Simmons is bad for us as currently made up? Hmm idk about that. Like if we had Simmons as a C, Young as a PF, KJ as a SF, Lonnie as our SG and White as our PG. that’s a team that can space the floor and allow Simmons to really work. plus we would be a top defensive team.

That being said Ben “I felt the guy behind me” Simmons probably isn’t our answer and I don’t want him on our team. But that’s more for personality than bc of his game. Tbh nobody is going to offer for Simmons so you might as well wait it out and get a pick in return for him. It would be amazingly bad GMing to make a move for him now. Let Klutch keep releasing how he doesn’t want any part of Philly and will refuse to play. Get Morey desperate. But still no Ben Simmons please

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hmmmm...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-Robs teams were almost never well managed. So that’s a bad point in itself. But notice how people will say that if you want your team to be well managed then you’re not a real fan

Like if you don’t agree with every single bad move our team makes then you’re not a fan. No it just means I want them to be good and ty moves don’t make my team good. Jak is our center. That’s bad. We signed a back up Center who won’t play this year. And we re-signed Bryn Forbes. That’s bad management and not wanting this doesn’t make you fair weather.

Simmons is bad for us as currently made up? Hmm idk about that. Like if we had Simmons as a C, Young as a PF, KJ as a SF, Lonnie as our SG and White as our PG. that’s a team that can space the floor and allow Simmons to really work. plus we would be a top defensive team.

That being said Ben “I felt the guy behind me” Simmons probably isn’t our answer and I don’t want him on our team. But that’s more for personality than bc of his game. Tbh nobody is going to offer for Simmons so you might as well wait it out and get a pick in return for him. It would be amazingly bad GMing to make a move for him now. Let Klutch keep releasing how he doesn’t want any part of Philly and will refuse to play. Get Morey desperate. But still no Ben Simmons please
    Like Sugus said: Simmons ain't playing no C.
    So I agree with you. No Ben Simmons. He'll want out before he even gets in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter. Greek freak played the 5 after game 2 of the finals. Simmons would too if he goes on a deep playoff run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter. Greek freak played the 5 after game 2 of the finals. Simmons would too if he goes on a deep playoff run.
    So where would he play during RS and 1st 2 rounds? End of bench?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing. I am not subscribed to the Athletic. I assume that article assumes no extension for Lonnie. Likely hitting RFA next season in a situation similar to Laurie Markkanen right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are only two games going on at the SL at any given moment and any scout trying to justify his hotel room in Vegas will be at one of them -- it's 50/50.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So where would he play during RS and 1st 2 rounds? End of bench?
    Well just like the Bucks, they started Lopez as much as they could.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about what Simmons could do as a C, it's about what he wants to do on the court. This isn't a Magic Johnson, "I'll do anything it takes to win, even play C in the Finals, it" kinda player. Not even an Anthony Davis, "I'll play up a position to save my body from banging against Cs during the season, but get down to the grind in the POs" kinda player. This is a "I'm scared to shoot and miss and embarrass myself, so to the detriment of the entire team, I simply refuse to shoot any kind of jumpers" kinda player. With a diva complex to boot.

In theory I agree, especially in the modern NBA, Simmons can be a GREAT rolling C - setting mean screens, agile enough to be switched onto literally anyone in the perimeter and stand his ground, whilst being strong enough to defend most players not named Embiid or Jokic. Perfectly versatile. But it's not about that when you're talking Ben Simmons, is it? How many years now have Sixers fans been deluding themselves over what Simmons could be if he oh-so-easily started shooting 3's (any kind of jumper for that matter), instead of failing his team year after year, then posting the predictable "Working on my game" empty gym draining 3's clip to social media (he's already posted this off-season's btw)?
    Replace Sixers by Spurs and Simmons by De Rozan and it still works. Please PATFO, just stay away from Ben ing Simmons.

Thread Information