Page 125 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3333
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were average at best. Too early to tell what our 2022 picks hold but first round picks the last 4 years:

2021: Primo: absolute reach who has shown little in the G-League or at the NBA level but atleast has a (growing) NBA body. Hopefully he can become a role player in this league, maybe more. D
    2020: Vassell: safe/fair pick with some upside. B
    Tre Jones: solid pick for a second rounder. A
    2019: Luka: another reach for an otherwise second rounder. No matter who is to blame this pick flopped: F
    Keldon: solid pick but he also fell to the Spurs so there was some luck involved. Regardless great pick: A
    2018: Walker: fair pick for where he was taken. B

AVERAGE AT BEST
    It’s really a fool’s errand to evaluate NBA players before year 3. People here were pretty down on Keldon last summer. He had not lived up to his bubble breakout.

Primo Incomplete
    Vassell - B+. I think he’ll be an A next grading period, based on the period after the White trade.
    Keldon A
    Luka C - Luka himself was an F, but it’s pretty common for non-lottery FRPs to bomb out, hence the pick’s grade of C. They swung and missed. If the pick had been top 10, then it might merit an F.
    Lonnie - C. See above.
    Derrick - A
    DJ - A+

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s really a fool’s errand to evaluate NBA players before year 3. People here were pretty down on Keldon last summer. He had not lived up to his bubble breakout.

Primo Incomplete
    Vassell - B+. I think he’ll be an A next grading period, based on the period after the White trade.
    Keldon A
    Luka C - Luka himself was an F, but it’s pretty common for non-lottery FRPs to bomb out, hence the pick’s grade of C. They swung and missed. If the pick had been top 10, then it might merit an F.
    Lonnie - C. See above.
    Derrick - A
    DJ - A+
    Very fair assessment. I don’t expect every draft pick to be an AS I’m merely pointing out that over that 4 year period we were meh.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Primo Incomplete
    Keldon A
    Lonnie - C. See above.
    Derrick - A
    DJ - A+
    Agree with almost everything.
    Derrick and DJ were both developed here but it took 5-6 years. Derrick deserves his A, but Dj got his A+ mostly out of cir stance. Either way both are gone. Will be interesting to see how they do this year.
    Lonnie is right on a C. Maybe he would have improved with more time, maybe not, so a C is right.
    Keldon improved more than we expected, so an A is appropriate.
    Vassell has improved since his rookie year and looks to improve even more. He may be up to an A or A- fairly soon.
    Primo is a mystery. At this time I'll put him in the Lonnie Walker category. Taken fairly high in the draft, maybe he improves maybe not. Give him another year or so and then we can evaluate his value.
    Luka, was rated an F which is absolutely accurate since he's out of the NBA but more of a D for a very disappointing dumb ass at ude which gets you cut and eventually out of the NBA. (some talent, bad at ude)

Any draft pick can be a gamble. There have been #1 picks that absolutely sucked and #29 picks that become all stars or very valuable players. Some 2nd round picks have become all stars even though they were picked behind lots of other less worthy players. It can be a crapshoot. Players need time to develop (some take more than a few years) and it works, but sometimes even casual fans can see that the team has made a mistake.
    Last edited by jjspur; 09-10-2022 at 06:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ DJ earned that A+ if anything the gap between White and Murray is larger. Spurs fans stay salty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to just trade down to #29 every year, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were average at best. Too early to tell what our 2022 picks hold but first round picks the last 4 years:

2021: Primo: absolute reach who has shown little in the G-League or at the NBA level but atleast has a (growing) NBA body. Hopefully he can become a role player in this league, maybe more. D
    2020: Vassell: safe/fair pick with some upside. B
    Tre Jones: solid pick for a second rounder. A
    2019: Luka: another reach for an otherwise second rounder. No matter who is to blame this pick flopped: F
    Keldon: solid pick but he also fell to the Spurs so there was some luck involved. Regardless great pick: A
    2018: Walker: fair pick for where he was taken. B

AVERAGE AT BEST
    There isn't much better the spurs could have done except maybe Jones over Primo, and Luka. The rest of the guys picked did not have any players significantly better than the them picked later. Maybe Murray and White has set our expectation higher, now is see whether the Spurs are able to develop them to their fullest potential. Overall at least I don't think they screw up much in terms of draft thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There isn't much better the spurs could have done except maybe Jones over Primo, and Luka. The rest of the guys picked did not have any players significantly better than the them picked later. Maybe Murray and White has set our expectation higher, now is see whether the Spurs are able to develop them to their fullest potential. Overall at least I don't think they screw up much in terms of draft thing.

Kev is just stirring the pot…… nothing to see here��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-everyone-wins

Scroll to the last 3way with the Lakers/Spurs/Jazz

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intriguing to get both the Spurs and Jazz involved in the Westbrook deal. But I don't see the Spurs both participating and losing Poeltl without getting even a single first back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intriguing to get both the Spurs and Jazz involved in the Westbrook deal. But I don't see the Spurs both participating and losing Poeltl without getting even a single first back.
    Yeah, throw the bundle of second on Utahs pile, and shoot one of those UFRPs our way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a garbage proposal that is. The only good thing in that article is the Spurs getting that pick from Charlotte. Absolute dumpster fire otherwise.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the very, very least the seconds from Utah need to be in 2023 and 2024 when they are likely to be in the 31-35 range, not 2025-2026 when they might be more respectable.

But yeah it's garbage from the Spurs POV.

The idea of the Spurs cutting yet another $23M from the payroll is amusing but not all that useful to the Spurs. Losing McD's 2023-2024 salary is nice but not at all worth giving up Poeltl and only getting a few seconds back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oops, you’re making too much sense here that it just bounces off the wall to some folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand they can’t hit it out of the park every year and outside of Primo I see the argument for all of these picks at the time they were made. There is a strong narrative that PATFO are elite in the draft but I’m arguing over that period they were average.

Going through who was drafted later is hindsight and fairly useless (I beleive Vassell was a fair pick) but there certainly were better players taken later including Maxey, Haliburton and Sadiq Bey, maybe even Immanuel Quickley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-everyone-wins

Scroll to the last 3way with the Lakers/Spurs/Jazz
    We can get better than a 2nd round pick for Jakob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can get better than a 2nd round pick for Jakob.
    I think there are a number of teams that would give up lots more for Jak. That trade is crap. Media trying to help the Lakers.
    As a matter of fact, I've yet to see a two way or three way trade involving Russ where the team other than lakers doesn't get screwed. Proof positive that some players make way way more money than they are worth, with Russ being the poster child followed by John Wall. (Wall's big contract is done, so he's not a bad as Russ')

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there are a number of teams that would give up lots more for Jak. That trade is crap. Media trying to help the Lakers.
    As a matter of fact, I've yet to see a two way or three way trade involving Russ where the team other than lakers doesn't get screwed. Proof positive that some players make way way more money than they are worth, with Russ being the poster child followed by John Wall. (Wall's big contract is done, so he's not a bad as Russ')
    Wall was bought out but between what Houston and the Clippers are paying him is also 47mm.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats a garbage trade being proposed. Dumping McDermott and Poetl for a handful of 2nd rounders? I'd say a lotto protected 1st for Poetl and maybe a heavily protected 1st for McDermott

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats a garbage trade being proposed. Dumping McDermott and Poetl for a handful of 2nd rounders? I'd say a lotto protected 1st for Poetl and maybe a heavily protected 1st for McDermott
    Jak is probably worth more than a lottery protected FRP but his value will diminish as the season goes on. The time to move him was last trade deadline.

McD is worth an SRP at best with an expiring contract coming back. He probably costs you an SRP or two to get him off the books outright.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jak is probably worth more than a lottery protected FRP but his value will diminish as the season goes on. The time to move him was last trade deadline.

McD is worth an SRP at best with an expiring contract coming back. He probably costs you an SRP or two to get him off the books outright.

Don't agree on the McD part. Spurs aren't needing to dump him to offload salary. Do we even know if are at the salary floor?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't agree on the McD part. Spurs aren't needing to dump him to offload salary. Do we even know if are at the salary floor?
    We absolutely don’t need to dump him but I can assure you few if any teams will offer anything for him. Maybe if he was expiring.

I’d rather keep him. He won’t win you a single game and is probably a good locker room presence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wall was bought out but between what Houston and the Clippers are paying him is also 47mm.
    Unless he stays with the lakers, wherever he goes, its more than likely he gets bought out, like his fellow overpriced NBA player Wall. It will suck for the team who gets stuck paying most of Russ' salary.
    Money for nothing and Russ' checks for free.
    Yeah I know, the team will likely get something in draft picks years down the road. The price of draft picks has really gone up the last few years.

Can't Russ just retire. Save the lakers a few million. I'm sure he's earned enough in his career. I think its close to 300 million.
    Last edited by jjspur; 09-13-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless he stays with the lakers, wherever he goes, its more than likely he gets bought out, like his fellow overpriced NBA player Wall. It will suck for the team who gets stuck paying most of Russ' salary.
    Money for nothing and Russ' checks for free.
    Yeah I know, the team will likely get something in draft picks years down the road. The price of draft picks has really gone up the last few years.

Can't Russ just retire. Save the lakers a few million. I'm sure he's earned enough in his career. I think its close to 300 million.
    He triggered his PO of $47M this off season, no way he's gonna help any team to save money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big part of the problem is that Russ still believes, judging by his comments in the exit interview, that he's actually worth that much money.

Thread Information