Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want in on this bet too Raptor fan?
    He'll be a Clipper fan in about about little over a month.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm laughing too. The lakers have missed the playoffs more in the last 5 years than the Spurs have in their entire NBA History 43 or 44 years. I wonder if Time Warner or whoever owns the lakers local TV package regrets that move? Tens of Millions of dollars per year for second rate basketball.
    Lakers TV viewership rose 31% this year, they are number 1 in merchandise sales and net revenue (profit) will be close to $200 million. Plus they have a ton of cap space along with the #4 pick in the draft.

With Durant, Leonard, Irving, Butler, Davis, Beal, Thompson, Walker & Middleton either being FAs or on the trade market, they'll get at least one of those guys this summer - and likely two if they're willing to move the lotto pick and Ingram.

Time Warner is probably feeling pretty good about having the Lakers locked in for another 15 seasons.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    One tank job after Robinson and Elliot were on the team, out for the season. It wasn't a gut the roster job and play for the ping bong balls. They were still on the roster. And what would happen if the ping bong balls dropped by just one? You know who the second pick was, right? Keith Van Horn.
    This.

PATFO has done a great job over the past 20 years, but if DRob doesn't get hurt or if the lottery had turned out differently, the Spurs of 1999-2019 would've been like the Spurs of 1977-97: solid playoff teams that could never get past the Lakers. Kenon-Gervin then Gervin-Gilmore-Mitc Spurs with Johnny Moore were great teams . . . but not great enough. DRob-Rodman-Ellis then DRob-Avery-Elliott teams were excellent . . . but couldn't get over the hump.

It was the luck of the draw that made for the past 20 years. It was not organic, it was providential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs look ‘very bad’ after Kawhi takes the Raptors to the NBA Finals – Stephen A.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will only look bad if KY stays in Toronto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers TV viewership rose 31% this year, they are number 1 in merchandise sales and net revenue (profit) will be close to $200 million. Plus they have a ton of cap space along with the #4 pick in the draft.

With Durant, Leonard, Irving, Butler, Davis, Beal, Thompson, Walker & Middleton either being FAs or on the trade market, they'll get at least one of those guys this summer - and likely two if they're willing to move the lotto pick and Ingram.

Time Warner is probably feeling pretty good about having the Lakers locked in for another 15 seasons.
    And yet they have missed the playoffs the last six years. Perhaps that tells you Laker "fans" are stupid with that kind of mediocrity. That is an indictment on you. How are Magic and Rob workin out for you? Well I hope.

So johnnymore is a Lakers fan, huh? Just a troll alt. Whatever. Cap space and net profit do not pick players. You have the re ed remnants of the Buss family running things with Kurt Rambis, his wife, and Rob P - I heard RP the head of the basketball operations is the most despised person in the ENTIRE NBA right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can say whatever you want about the Lakers FO but Jeanie would never be stupid enough to trade away the best player in the league for a mental health patient in Derozan. Spur fans people are going to be laughing at your team for years to come. The Kawhi trade is like the gift that keeps on giving.
    Shut up! You're an idiot! Worry about your own crappy team that is dysfunctional as no one wants to play for the Fakers! GTFO!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers have never really developed their own team. They steal superstars from small market teams or make lopsided trades when players force their way out of another situation.

When you screw people over for 50+ years and brag about it - people will eventually wise up and not do business with you. Lakers will have to dig themselves out of their mess and I dont' see that happening any time soon. Their player development sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe the Spurs F'd this up, somehwere along the line something happened, but it may have happened on purpose of Kwahi's camp. Tired of media painting this like the Spurs orchestrated this all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had capspace and decided to surround him with Mills/Gasol/Gay, misdiagnosed him, tried to force him to play, sent out goons to discredit him in the media, didn't offer him the supermax, etc.

What a up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs look ‘very bad’ after Kawhi takes the Raptors to the NBA Finals – Stephen A.

Stephen A had been one of the loudest voices on TV telling the world Kawhi was gone no matter what, that the riverwalk wasn't big enough for him, etc etc...it seems he has altered his opinion already.

I think this series is going to be a lot closer then most people think and it wouldn't shock me if the Raptors pulled the upset. The word is Durant isn't even going to play and hasn't even started playing again. In 2017 I thought the Spurs could beat GSW even with Durant because of how good Kawhi was/is. The Warriors had an easy run this year, the Raps have been tested every game after the first round.

The raps just have a good mix of guys to make it a series, outside of Kawhi obviously GS still has the superior overall talent but the Raps have athletes like Siakem and Powel, they have length in Green, Kawhi, Siakem, Ibaka, a legit large big that Draymond or whoever will spend a lot of energy on in Gasol and they may have to do it without the gravity of Kevin Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen A had been one of the loudest voices on TV telling the world Kawhi was gone no matter what, that the riverwalk wasn't big enough for him, etc etc...it seems he has altered his opinion already.

I think this series is going to be a lot closer then most people think and it wouldn't shock me if the Raptors pulled the upset. The word is Durant isn't even going to play and hasn't even started playing again. In 2017 I thought the Spurs could beat GSW even with Durant because of how good Kawhi was/is. The Warriors had an easy run this year, the Raps have been tested every game after the first round.

The raps just have a good mix of guys to make it a series, outside of Kawhi obviously GS still has the superior overall talent but the Raps have athletes like Siakem and Powel, they have length in Green, Kawhi, Siakem, Ibaka, a legit large big that Draymond or whoever will spend a lot of energy on in Gasol and they may have to do it without the gravity of Kevin Durant.
    Kawhi and Danny Green were always great against Golden State for us. We always played Golden State really well. I truly believe we win the WCF in 2017 if the injury doesn't happen.

So with that said, i believe the Raptors will win this series. The Raptors will be the best defensive team the Warriors will have faced since the 2017 spurs imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get back to the original topic

you sure it's the Spurs, cause I could swear it were the Lakers. This ain't even 20% of what came out TODAY. And they in the news EVERYDAY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and Danny Green were always great against Golden State for us. We always played Golden State really well. I truly believe we win the WCF in 2017 if the injury doesn't happen.

So with that said, i believe the Raptors will win this series. The Raptors will be the best defensive team the Warriors will have faced since the 2017 spurs imo.

Agree'd. The hate for KL has really blinded most on here, just can't admit to the fact that a few years back as flawed as a team Kawhi may have had or didn't have around him(depending on who you ask) he was the key reason the Spurs always had at least a chance to beat the champs. It's understandable to hate the guy but it's not realistic to think some karmic revenge is going to sap him, monstars style or some .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had capspace and decided to surround him with Mills/Gasol/Gay, misdiagnosed him, tried to force him to play, sent out goons to discredit him in the media, didn't offer him the supermax, etc.

What a up.
    Can you please remind me of when they had significant cap space? The only summer they had cap space was when they signed Aldridge, and you make that signing 100x out of 100. Kawhi did take a risk by waiting to sign the extension and did good by the team for that, allowing for Aldridge to sign.

The first year Gasol signing wasn’t the problem. They used most of their space to sign him, but had a hole in the roster with Duncan retiring. The problem was resigning him after he opted out, but that was only after striking out on other FAs. At that point, there weren’t many other alternatives as they had his cap hold and it was going to be very hard to create commensurate space.

Mills and Gasol’s deals were inexcusable at the dollar levels we saw. But it’s not like they had choices of other guys to spend that money on. That’s not how the cap works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I said earlier I don't mind having Vogel while you guys have this angry grumpy old fart. This league is not really based on coaching but is 95 percent players and 5 percent comes down coaching which mainly deals with subs utions and match ups. So when the Lakers hire clowns like Vogel or consider Lue it doesn't bother me because I know at the end of the day these guys ultimately are not going to determine how successful the team is. It's going to come down to the players. Look at the current success of the Raptors. Nurse is a joke but it doesn't matter because he has the best player in the league.

The problem with Pop is he wants to take away from the success of the players and get all the credit. I think that sours a lot of these guys. Even this year I would say it's not amazing the Spurs went to the playoffs considering Lamarcus and Derozan are all-star caliber players. Pop still gets all the credit with the media saying this his greatest coaching job ever. Imagine being a player and knowing no matter how great you are that the media is going to say you are only great because of Pop. Pop is an egotistical prick that lives for all of this.
    I've been saying this... Ppl act like pop is doing so much with so little... Clippers made the playoffs with NO all stars... Nuggets were the second seed in the west with one all star

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One tank job after Robinson and Elliot were on the team, out for the season. It wasn't a gut the roster job and play for the ping bong balls. They were still on the roster. And what would happen if the ping bong balls dropped by just one? You know who the second pick was, right? Keith Van Horn.
    But it didn't drop by one... We talked that season... Make no mistake about it... It was obvious... And we were rewarded with the best franchise is American sports history in terms of winning percentage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi grew up in Southern California so he would be seen as a hometown kid coming back home. Kawhi also idolized Kobe so that's going to make him even more popular with the fans than Lebron.
    No he didn't idolize Kobe... He was an Iverson fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it didn't drop by one... We talked that season... Make no mistake about it... It was obvious... And we were rewarded with the best franchise is American sports history in terms of winning percentage
    And some have been talking ever since . . .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you please remind me of when they had significant cap space? The only summer they had cap space was when they signed Aldridge, and you make that signing 100x out of 100. Kawhi did take a risk by waiting to sign the extension and did good by the team for that, allowing for Aldridge to sign.

The first year Gasol signing wasn’t the problem. They used most of their space to sign him, but had a hole in the roster with Duncan retiring. The problem was resigning him after he opted out, but that was only after striking out on other FAs. At that point, there weren’t many other alternatives as they had his cap hold and it was going to be very hard to create commensurate space.

Mills and Gasol’s deals were inexcusable at the dollar levels we saw. But it’s not like they had choices of other guys to spend that money on. That’s not how the cap works.
    Good explanation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can say whatever you want about the Lakers FO but Jeanie would never be stupid enough to trade away the best player in the league for a mental health patient in Derozan. Spur fans people are going to be laughing at your team for years to come. The Kawhi trade is like the gift that keeps on giving.
    shaq and odem said hi.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Regardless of capspace, the front office completely ed up any kind of flexibility it might have had with those stupid deals.

And to add on DeRozan's horrible contract and trade away Danny's expiring contract is just plain incompetence.

Is there no one else? AchillesHeel's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers have never really developed their own team. They steal superstars from small market teams or make lopsided trades when players force their way out of another situation.

When you screw people over for 50+ years and brag about it - people will eventually wise up and not do business with you. Lakers will have to dig themselves out of their mess and I dont' see that happening any time soon. Their player development sucks.
    So the Spurs didn't win a championship thanks to the Hill trade?

Anyways, I'll always hold it against Pop for not giving Kawhi the reigns and siding with TOSB Manu & Porker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shaq and odem said hi.
    Metta World Peace is holding the phone.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 05-31-2019 at 04:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever.

The FO probably could have done a better job with Kawhi in certain respects. I’ve seen everyone in the Toronto organization line up to lick his nutsack. I guess the Spurs should have done that, not questioned him at all about his injury, and thrown a Supermax contract at his feet after playing only seven games.

Imagine had the Spurs tied up 40% of their cap on a guy who possibly wouldn’t play at the same level as he did pre-injury? The organization would have been sunk. The Spurs, IMO, we’re trying to be conservative with the cap, probably questioned his injury, and didn’t kiss enough ass by today’s superstar standards. happens. Spurs played their hand far more conservatively than they probably should have, but this is the Spurs we’re talking about. Anyone expecting a different strategy hasn’t followed this team very closely over the years.

Thread Information