Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034229/article/ten-most-talented-teams-in-the-nfl-ahead-of-the-2019-season

Should be a bloodbath in the NFC East. Wouldn't be surprised to see two 13-3 teams, or a 14-2 team and a 13-3 team, or a 13-3 team and a 12-4, similar to the Seahawks-49ers situation in 2013.

10) Indianapolis Colts

General manager Chris Ballard was a worthy and deserving choice as the PFWA Executive of the Year in 2018. Ballard's second draft on the job was a brilliant one, netting two load-bearing offensive linemen (Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith), a diamond-in-the-rough defensive stud (Darius Leonard, the Defensive Rookie of the Year) and a productive fourth-round running back (Nyheim Hines, who contributed 739 scrimmage yards and four total touchdowns). But it's not just about the draft: The Colts have added veterans wisely, landing contributors like cornerback Pierre Desir, linebacker Margus Hunt, defensive end Denico Autry and tight end Eric Ebron, who all enjoyed career years in Indianapolis last season. That also speaks well of the job done by coach Frank Reich and his staff.
    As for this year's additions, Justin Houston could provide a pass-rushing boost to a defense that ranked 11th overall and 16th against the pass in 2018, while Devin Funchess and rookie Parris Campbell should help make veteran receiver T.Y. Hilton even more effective. And, of course, it's impossible to overstate the impact of having Andrew Luck playing at an elite level again after shoulder issues cost him the 2017 season.

9) Cleveland Browns

The Browns are receiving a lot of offseason hype -- but there is a legitimate reason for it. On paper, this is the most talented team Cleveland has fielded since returning to the NFL in 1999. The trade that netted star receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and pass rusher Olivier Vernon was just one headline-grabbing highlight of a broader team-building project that included drafting youngsters like Baker Mayfield, Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb and acquiring veterans like Jarvis Landry, Damarious Randall, Kareem Hunt and Sheldon Richardson. The question, talent-wise, is along the offensive line. Can left tackle Greg Robinson continue to build off a surprisingly strong 2018 season? Will 2018 second-round pick Austin Corbett be able to fill the shoes of Kevin Zeitler, traded to the Giants as part of the OBJ deal? The defensive tackle rotation is shaky beyond Richardson and rising talent Larry Ogunjobi. Is the hype coming one year too soon? It's hard to say, but the roster is strong.

8) New Orleans Saints

The Saints have made sure to furnish quarterback Drew Brees with plenty of support in the latter stages of his career, securing elite playmakers for him to work with, like receiver Michael Thomas and running back Alvin Kamara. 2019 newcomer Jared Cook provides the type of pass-catching threat at tight end that New Orleans hasn't seen since Jimmy Graham's heyday. Mark Ingram is in Baltimore, but signee Latavius Murray should serve as an effective complement to Kamara. As for the defense, don't sleep on a unit that includes four-time Pro Bowler Cameron Jordan and 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year Marshon Lattimore. Punter Thomas Morstead and kicker Wil Lutz make for an outstanding special teams duo, as well. There are two factors to watch: 1) A second receiver must emerge alongside Thomas, and 2) the defense must weather the storm until Sheldon Rankins is ready to return from the torn Achilles he suffered in the playoffs.

7) Kansas City Chiefs

Patrick Mahomes' meteoric ascent shows no signs of slowing entering his second year as the Chiefs' starting quarterback. The question of whether receiver Tyreek Hill will face discipline from the NFL stemming from a child-abuse investigation is still unanswered (though a criminal investigation is no longer active). Even setting Hill aside for the moment, however, Mahomes' supporting cast includes tight end Travis Kelce (who has made four straight Pro Bowls) and receivers Sammy Watkins (a former first-round pick) and Mecole Hardman (a promising rookie). New defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was given pieces to work with that will fit his 4-3 system, including pass rusher Frank Clark, defensive end Alex Okafor, cornerback Bashaud Breeland and safeties Tyrann Mathieu and rookie Juan Thornhill. Kansas City must resolve the contract-related standoff with defensive tackle Chris Jones, who is seeking a new deal following a monster 2018 campaign (15.5 sacks).

6) Los Angeles Chargers

The Chargers were well regarded by Pro Bowl voters last season, with players from across the roster -- safety Derwin James, receiver Keenan Allen, running back Melvin Gordon, defensive end Melvin Ingram, special teams player Adrian Phillips, center Mike Pouncey and quarterback Philip Rivers -- earning a nod. And that list doesn't even include defensive end Joey Bosa, who is arguably the best player on the team. Having Bosa healthy after he missed much of 2018 will give L.A. a huge boost. The same can be said for tight end Hunter Henry, who is back after being sidelined by a torn ACL last season. The big question on this roster: Did the Chargers adequately address the interior of the defense? Rookie defensive tackle Jerry Tillery could be very special -- or he could be very average. Beyond that, general manager Tom Telesco is gambling that linebacker Denzel Perryman can stay healthy and that veteran Thomas Davis still has something in the tank at age 36.

5) New England Patriots

There is no question that Bill Belichick and his staff do an excellent job making players look better than they are, covering up flaws and not putting them in position to fail. That said, New England's success can't be attributed only to game-planning. Stephon Gilmore has become arguably one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL since adjusting to the Patriots' scheme, while Dont'a Hightower has proven himself to be a versatile linebacker and Devin McCourty is one of the better safeties around. There are few better slot receivers than Julian Edelman, while the backfield features Sony Michel, who is coming off a strong rookie season, and James White, an elite pass-catching back. Oh, and the quarterback isn't too bad, either.
    (An interesting note illustrating Tom Brady's incredible longevity: When the Patriots play the Steelers in Week 1, Brady will face rookie linebacker Devin Bush Jr. -- 18 years after Brady faced Bush's father, Devin Bush Sr., when the elder Bush played for the Cleveland Browns.)

4) Los Angeles Rams

Arguably no team in the NFL has better long-term personnel vision than the Rams. As an example: Seeing that the 2019 draft and free-agent classes would be light in receiver and cornerback prospects, they moved aggressively on the trade market in 2018, acquiring receiver Brandin Cooks and cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters. Using trades rather than free agency to address these needs also allowed L.A. to collect extra compensatory picks this year. Of course, the Rams have done well in the draft (the collection of homegrown talent includes Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, Cooper Kupp, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen and Michael Brockers) and in free agency (the signings of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and receiver Robert Woods couldn't have gone much better than they did). The ability of GM Les Snead to work in lockstep with the coaching staff on roster building has helped the team balance salary-cap concerns in such a way that the Rams were able to extend the contracts of stars like Donald and Gurley without hindering their ability to procure talent where needed. And they've added (signing pass rusher Clay Matthews and safety Eric Weddle and retaining defensive end Dante Fowler) and subtracted (clearing cap space by moving on from linebacker Alec Ogletree last year and linebacker Mark Barron this year) smartly; consider that linebackers are not as critical to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' scheme as pass rushers and press corners.

3) Chicago Bears

Don't let the drama at kicker distract you. When your biggest problem is at that position, you know you've got a solid team on your hands. GM Ryan Pace has shown he's not afraid to make bold moves, orchestrating trades to land QB Mitc Trubisky in the 2017 NFL Draft and pass rusher Khalil Mack last September. Not too long ago, it felt like Chicago's roster was littered with first-round busts. Now, it feels like it's bursting with first-round starters, like Trubisky, cornerback Kyle Fuller, right guard Kyle Long and linebackers Leonard Floyd and Roquan Smith, peppered with mid-round steals like running back Tarik Cohen and safety Eddie Jackson. The state of the Bears' talent base also shows how far Pace has come since the first phase of his tenure in Chicago, when he was working with then-head coach John Fox. That era was marked with forgettable acquisitions like Pernell McPhee, Antrel Rolle and Eddie Royal. Since Pace's first year, the Bears have fared much better, adding players like defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, right tackle Bobby Massie and cornerback Prince Amukamara. Either Pace has learned well, or new coach Matt Nagy has the players playing the way Pace visualized.

2) Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys' personnel department -- fronted by Stephen Jones and Will McClay -- should take a bow for building the foundation of a strong roster through the draft, headlined by running back Ezekiel Elliott, left tackle Tyron Smith, right guard Zack Martin, quarterback Dak Prescott, defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, linebackers Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith and cornerback Byron Jones, among others. They've also made crucial additions in the past eight months, trading for players like receiver Amari Cooper in October and defensive end Robert Quinn in March and signing players like receiver Randall Cobb and safety George Iloka. Now, the question is, how will Dallas sort out the extensions due to Elliott, Prescott and Cooper? The Cowboys already solved one part of the puzzle by inking Lawrence to a new deal in April, and I can see them working something out with Prescott before camp.

1) Philadelphia Eagles

What puts the Eagles in the top spot isn't just the roster assembled by GM Howie Roseman -- it's the fact that so much core talent is locked into contracts through at least 2021. That core includes several who are considered among the best at their respective positions, like quarterback Carson Wentz (signed through 2024), defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (2022), tight end Zach Ertz (2021) and center Jason Kelce (2021). The Eagles are also at the point where the NFL draft can be used to build for the future rather than being relied upon as a source of players who can provide an immediate impact. For example, Philly was able to snag offensive tackle prospect Andre Dillard, who can essentially redshirt for a year while being groomed to replace Jason Peters next season, in this year's draft.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Eagles at #1 is ridiculous. The list is pretty suspect imo.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Eagles at #1 is ridiculous. The list is pretty suspect imo.
    How is it ridiculous? They're loaded at just about every position, and have a lot of starting-quality depth, especially on the OL and DL. WR and TE combinations are downright scary. The only fall-out is if Wentz gets injured, and this year around they don't have a starting caliber backup QB.

They do remind me a lot of, say, the 2012/13 49ers with how their roster is constructed, with the secondary being a slight weaklink but deep enough and having a defensive philosophy emphasizing the front-7 so strongly that it might not necessarily matter.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    How is it ridiculous? They're loaded at just about every position, and have a lot of starting-quality depth, especially on the OL and DL. WR and TE combinations are downright scary. The only fall-out is if Wentz gets injured, and this year around they don't have a starting caliber backup QB.

They do remind me a lot of, say, the 2012/13 49ers with how their roster is constructed, with the secondary being a slight weaklink but deep enough and having a defensive philosophy emphasizing the front-7 so strongly that it might not necessarily matter.
    I've already spoken.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I've already spoken.
    not worth arguing with andrew

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    not worth arguing with andrew
    It's not tbh. He never concedes he's wrong. He'll usually just change the subject so he can make more bad points about something vaguely related to his original bad point.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Carson Wentz is trash. I remember watching the game vs. NO and he threw like 3 picks. And 0 TD. He's awful.

There...that's the kind of argument you'll understand.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Carson Wentz is trash. I remember watching the game vs. NO and he threw like 3 picks. And 0 TD. He's awful.

There...that's the kind of argument you'll understand.
    You can't go by one f'ing game and determine someone is good or bad look at RGKnee in 2012, for example...

There is no team in the NFL with a better OL/DL combo than the Eagles. Which is the heart and soul of all football teams, the big guys.

BUT.......they don't have any WOW RB's (28th in rushing) And a sucky pass defense (30th)

Last season they had the 14 ranked 0 and the 23 ranked D. But......Lindy's Football Preview....does give them 71.5 points only the Saints with a 73.5 (Brees fr better than Wentz) higher. So, you might have something there, they do belong in the best roster discussion.

The Cowboys had the 22 ranked offense in the NFL in 2018, they did nothing great, even with Elliott just 10th in rushing. Prescott just an average QB, just check his stats. When your best receiver is your RB that isn't good. Sure Cooper will help now.

They only had 39 sacks while being sacked 56 times, that totally sucks. The D did rank 7th.

They have a great RB, but.......what else? They scored 67.5 in Lindys 2019 NFL Preview, 11 teams scored higher. They don't belong in any bet roster talk.

Looking at both rosters, I'm talking a break down of every player on the team, I can't see the Cowboys in any.....best roster....discussion at all.

The rankings

1.Saints 73.5
    2.Eagles, Rams, Chargers.....71.5
    5.Bears 71.0

Worst team....Bills 58.5

While here.

Don't think I've ever seen this before. The Buc's won't play any game in TB in October.

Sept 29 at Rams
    Oct 6 at Saints
    Oct 13 in London vs Bears
    Following week....a bye
    Oct 27 at ans
    Nov 3 at Seahawks

So from Sept 22 to Nov 10 no football in TB, that is hard to believe.

Being as realistic as I can be

Eagles

beat Skins
    beat Falcons....maybe
    beat Lions
    beat Packers....maybe
    beat Jets
    lose at Vikes
    lose at Cowboys
    beat Bills
    beat Bears
    beat Pats.....maybe
    beat Seahawks....maybe
    beat Dolphins
    beat Giants
    beat Skins
    beat Cowboys
    beat Giants

Very realistic to see them losing two of those....maybe, so.....12-4 and would go with 11-5 before 13-3
    Last edited by Sir Johnny; 06-22-2019 at 03:58 AM.

You can't go by one f'ing game and determine someone is good or bad look at RGKnee in 2012, for example...
    You totally nailed it shut. WAY too much is made of small sample sizes, you must give things some time.

After week three in 2018, the Pats 1-2.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Being as realistic as I can be

Eagles

beat Skins
    beat Falcons....maybe
    beat Lions
    beat Packers....maybe
    beat Jets
    lose at Vikes
    lose at Cowboys
    beat Bills
    beat Bears
    beat Pats.....maybe
    beat Seahawks....maybe
    beat Dolphins
    beat Giants
    beat Skins
    beat Cowboys
    beat Giants

Very realistic to see them losing two of those....maybe, so.....12-4 and would go with 11-5 before 13-3
    -Eagles will win in Atlanta. The Falcons just aren't good anymore, their window has passed and it was evident towards the second half of last season. They probably need a new coach to start winning again, guys like Sanu are past their prime, the OL really isn't good and the defense is meh.

-Eagles should lose in Green Bay. GB has a tough schedule to start the year but that one is at home for the Packers, I have the Eagles losing that one.

-Eagles will win at Minnesota. They own that team's soul so bad, in every which way. Plus, they're much better from the QB downward.

-Eagles should split with Cowboys

-Both the Pats and Seahawks games are at home for the Eagles. That's in November which is about the time of year the Pats tend to get lazy and drop a couple road games. We know the Seahawks in the Wilson era and the home/away splits there. They don't have a history of beating good teams on the road with Wilson. Eagles thus win.

I definitely see 13-3 for the Eagles... yes their pass D in the secondary was ranked low last year, but look at all the absurd number of injuries and youth there.

-Eagles will win in Atlanta. The Falcons just aren't good anymore, their window has passed and it was evident towards the second half of last season. They probably need a new coach to start winning again, guys like Sanu are past their prime, the OL really isn't good and the defense is meh.

-Eagles should lose in Green Bay. GB has a tough schedule to start the year but that one is at home for the Packers, I have the Eagles losing that one.

-Eagles will win at Minnesota. They own that team's soul so bad, in every which way. Plus, they're much better from the QB downward.

-Eagles should split with Cowboys

-Both the Pats and Seahawks games are at home for the Eagles. That's in November which is about the time of year the Pats tend to get lazy and drop a couple road games. We know the Seahawks in the Wilson era and the home/away splits there. They don't have a history of beating good teams on the road with Wilson. Eagles thus win.

I definitely see 13-3 for the Eagles... yes their pass D in the secondary was ranked low last year, but look at all the absurd number of injuries and youth there.
    The Falcons won their last three games of 2018. They had the 6th ranked offense in the NFL. Their D was ranked 28 but the Eagles D...23. And, when they played in 2018 Eagles 18 Falcons 13 in Philly.

That Packer game is on a Thurs.

There is nothing that points towards the Eagles WILL WIN in Minnesota at all.

Yep, a split with the Cowboys.

The Eagles will be coming off a bye whehn they face the Pats, how do you do after a bye? And the Eagles aren't beating the Pats/Seahaeks back to back, yep, one of them.

There is no such thing as....DEFINATELY......you should know that. Sure, 13-3 is possble but I would bet against it.

This was a 9 win team in 2018 for a reason.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    This was a 9 win team in 2018 for a reason.
    The reason... Wentz missed half the season due to injury and the entire starting secondary was on IR except for Malcolm Jenkins. Other missing starters included Super Bowl hero RE Derek Barnett, the top 2 running backs, Jeffery missed time, and DeSean Jackson wasn't on the team.

Both the Pats/Seahawks are at home. When the Eagles are good they've beaten back to back playoff contenders at home many times. Seahawks just aren't a good road team with Wilson, as much as you like him. I don't think Wilson is a below average QB but he's bottom of the top 10 at best.

Eagles are simply better than Minnesota from top to bottom, barring injury. Kirk Cousins is a perennial 8-9 win quarterback. Their OL is ghastly and their defense isn't up to 2017 standards.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    Colts dont have a lot of star power, but they have one of the deepest rosters in the league. Hard to find a weakness. Probably biased but id have them above the Browns.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    This list isn't wrong but it's just flawed and meaningless because it doesn't account for intangibles at all (i.e., the fact that Wentz is injury prone) and it doesn't handicap how much of a difference having elite QB play vs. just above average QB play is. It's basically a list of what teams would be best if everything was played on a video game.

The Cowboys/Eagles each have rosters loaded with talent, but their coaching is questionable at best (everyone knows how much Garrett sucks, and Doug Peterson looked awful last year without Reich and Defilippo) and their QBs are both unproven.

The Bears at #3 doesn't make any sense though. Trubisky had bren decent but hasn’t shown anything special, and the rest of Chicago's offense isn't particularly talented either. Their defense is talented but last year is unlikely to be duplicated. Unbalanced teams like the 2017 Jaguars and 2018 Bears that have historically great defensive performances usually take a step back the next year.
    Last edited by Will Hunting; 06-23-2019 at 03:36 PM.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    This list isn't wrong but it's just flawed and meaningless because it doesn't account for intangibles at all (i.e., the fact that Wentz is injury prone) and it doesn't handicap how much of a difference having elite QB play vs. just above average QB play is. It's basically a list of what teams would be best if everything was played on a video game.

The Cowboys/Eagles each have rosters loaded with talent, but their coaching is questionable at best (everyone knows how much Garrett sucks, and Doug Peterson looked awful last year without Reich and Defilippo) and their QBs are both unproven.

The Bears at #3 doesn't make any sense though. Trubisky had bren decent but hasn’t shown anything special, and the rest of Chicago's offense isn't particularly talented either. Their defense is talented but last year is unlikely to be duplicated. Unbalanced teams like the 2017 Jaguars and 2018 Bears that have historically great defensive performances usually take a step back the next year.
    This. Doesn't matter how good the roster is if the QB is sub-par. IMO, this is just another slanted article to hype up Dallas in the offseason since it's good for ratings when they get a lot of positive publicity since their 50 million Mexican American fans will always gobble it all up. We all know they're gonna be inconsistent next season per par etc

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    This. Doesn't matter how good the roster is if the QB is sub-par. IMO, this is just another slanted article to hype up Dallas in the offseason since it's good for ratings when they get a lot of positive publicity since their 50 million Mexican American fans will always gobble it all up. We all know they're gonna be inconsistent next season per par etc
    You summed it up during the playoffs last season, the fact Dak only hits receivers who blow by the defender (or just find a soft spot in the zone) but can’t fit passes into tight windows when the receiver is only 1-2 steps ahead in coverage in and of itself makes things harder for Dallas. No matter how talented they are, they’ll eventually run into a well coached defense in the playoffs that will force Dak to make tight window passes in order to win.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You summed it up during the playoffs last season, the fact Dak only hits receivers who blow by the defender (or just find a soft spot in the zone) but can’t fit passes into tight windows when the receiver is only 1-2 steps ahead in coverage in and of itself makes things harder for Dallas. No matter how talented they are, they’ll eventually run into a well coached defense in the playoffs that will force Dak to make tight window passes in order to win.
    I don't disagree with this post. Dak is a conservative-paranoid QB. He's not a "dink and dunk" QB, which is a myth (he does actually throw a solid deep ball) but the issue is he is extremely scared to throw picks to the point where he thinks he's better off taking sacks which often leads to fumbles which are usually worse than picks.

That's why I ride Zeke, OL and this top-5 defense as far as I can get (Super Bowl?) in 2019 and then tag and trade Dak for a couple 1st round picks. His stock will never be higher and this allows the Cowboys to comfortably sign everyone else under the sun and still have cap space and a new rookie QB contract window, maybe we can draft someone like Mason Fine late who is at least as good as Dak.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    10 and 8 are overrated and wont win their divisions

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    10 and 8 are overrated and wont win their divisions
    One of 1 and 2 won't win their division. Imagine that. It's 2013 NFC West all over again, boys.

Who do you think wins the AFC South if it's not the Colts, though? The other 3 teams just suck.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    One of 1 and 2 won't win their division. Imagine that. It's 2013 NFC West all over again, boys.

Who do you think wins the AFC South if it's not the Colts, though? The other 3 teams just suck.
    Super is just a Luck and Colts hater.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

bears had virtually no significant injuries last year.

they made no notable offseason moves - signed clinton dix but he's replacing the void left by losing amos, so that's lateral at best. other than that, Cordarelle Patterson is a solid complementary piece who I'm sure Nagy will make use of, and a special teams ace. But they already had Tarik Cohen doing a lot of those things, so while a decent pickup, not moving the needle imo

they had virtually no draft - no first round pick due to mack trade, no second round pick (traded their 2019 2nd round pick to get an extra 2nd round pick in 2018 which became Anthony Miller), and then in the 3rd they actually traded UP to draft a running back. they're due for regression unless they see massive improvement from Trubisky and Allen Robinson becomes a game changer like he was that one year for the Jags

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count

Watson's division to lose for the foreseeable future, tbh

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    bears had virtually no significant injuries last year.

they made no notable offseason moves - signed clinton dix but he's replacing the void left by losing amos, so that's lateral at best. other than that, Cordarelle Patterson is a solid complementary piece who I'm sure Nagy will make use of, and a special teams ace. But they already had Tarik Cohen doing a lot of those things, so while a decent pickup, not moving the needle imo

they had virtually no draft - no first round pick due to mack trade, no second round pick (traded their 2019 2nd round pick to get an extra 2nd round pick in 2018 which became Anthony Miller), and then in the 3rd they actually traded UP to draft a running back. they're due for regression unless they see massive improvement from Trubisky and Allen Robinson becomes a game changer like he was that one year for the Jags
    They had a load of overachievers too. I seriously doubt Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson combine for 13 interceptions again, for example. The two pro bowlers they had on their offensive line were also a fluke.

Nowhere to go but down, imo.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    They had a load of overachievers too. I seriously doubt Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson combine for 13 interceptions again, for example. The two pro bowlers they had on their offensive line were also a fluke.

Nowhere to go but down, imo.
    could just be a different distribution, but i dont think their INT numbers a whole were fluky given the talent they have all across the defense. clinton dix is a better coverage guy than amos was, so maybe he picks up a few INT's as well.

Thread Information