Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan wished he was Bird

I always laugh at those who say Jordan would’ve learned to shoot the 3 in today’s game. Umm no he wouldn’t. Plenty of people can’t shoot the 3 in today’s game, I don’t see why Jordan would be any different. Westbrick, Wall, Wade, Giannis, Simmons, Demar. There are plenty of players that can’t shoot the 3 worth crap and this idea that Jordan wouldn’t be on this list of non-3 point shooters is ridiculous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always laugh at those who say Jordan would’ve learned to shoot the 3 in today’s game. Umm no he wouldn’t. Plenty of people can’t shoot the 3 in today’s game, I don’t see why Jordan would be any different. Westbrick, Wall, Wade, Giannis, Simmons, Demar. There are plenty of players that can’t shoot the 3 worth crap and this idea that Jordan wouldn’t be on this list of non-3 point shooters is ridiculous
    Exactly

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So guys who were not as dedicated as Jordan like JKidd and Ariza figured it out but Jordan would not

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So guys who were not as dedicated as Jordan like JKidd and Ariza figured it out but Jordan would not
    Talent and dedication are different things. Jordan couldn't defend bigs and rebound like Rodman. And they were almost the same size.

Theo Ratliff had 4,4 bpg in Portland. It's like saying: "So, guys who were not as dedicated as Jordan like him and Ben Wallace had it figured out but Jordan would not . If Jordan wanted he could block 6 shots per game easily".

Point is, Jordan could be good 3-point shooter but it's far from guarantee. You can't just assume that he would be 40+ 3-point shooter. Brook Lopez has become great shooter. Demar Derozan not so much.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    More height or bulk is not required to develop a 3 point shot, though.

I don't think he would be Steph Curry or anything, but 35-37% is feasible.

Talent and dedication are different things. Jordan couldn't defend bigs and rebound like Rodman. And they were almost the same size.

Theo Ratliff had 4,4 bpg in Portland. It's like saying: "So, guys who were not as dedicated as Jordan like him and Ben Wallace had it figured out but Jordan would not . If Jordan wanted he could block 6 shots per game easily".

Point is, Jordan could be good 3-point shooter but it's far from guarantee. You can't just assume that he would be 40+ 3-point shooter. Brook Lopez has become great shooter. Demar Derozan not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Entirely different games. J-Kidd only learned to shoot past his prime when he didn’t have the ball as much. He wasn’t a sharpshooter at all in his (early) Dallas, Phoenix, and Net years. Then he moved more off ball and realized he had to become a shooter to survive league. Ariza never handled the ball at all. He never ran an offense, he never took more than 10 shots per game, he never had an offense go through him. So him learning to shoot was also by necessity.

Jordan on the other hand had the entire offense go through him. Jordan ran the plays, Jordan took the shots, made the passes. And while he didn’t bring the ball upcourt he immediately got the ball as soon as it was brought up for him. It’s easy to become a good 3 point shooter when you are a role player and that’s literally your job. It’s much harder to become one when you are The Man. It’s why Giannis is struggling. He has to defend the best players, be the best player on offense, create for his teammates, and now they’re asking him to bring the ball upcourt by himself more and and more. He has too much on his plate to just simply become a great 3 point shooter.

Jordan would have to entirely change his whole shot to shoot 3s. He would have to be able to come off screens and catch and shoot them or develop a step back 3 like Harden. Durant can do it bc he’s 6’10. Kyrie struggles with his 3 point shooting and he’s a great shooter. Stars don’t get that many wide open 3s. Lebron can pull up bc he’s 6’9 and doesn’t have to worry about getting blocked. Jordan is like 6’5. He can’t pull up over people for 3s. His shot mechanics are all wrong for step back 3s and he doesn’t have the handles of Kyrie or the know how if Steph to come off screens and launch them.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Entirely different games. J-Kidd only learned to shoot past his prime when he didn’t have the ball as much. He wasn’t a sharpshooter at all in his (early) Dallas, Phoenix, and Net years. Then he moved more off ball and realized he had to become a shooter to survive league. Ariza never handled the ball at all. He never ran an offense, he never took more than 10 shots per game, he never had an offense go through him. So him learning to shoot was also by necessity.

Jordan on the other hand had the entire offense go through him. Jordan ran the plays, Jordan took the shots, made the passes. And while he didn’t bring the ball upcourt he immediately got the ball as soon as it was brought up for him. It’s easy to become a good 3 point shooter when you are a role player and that’s literally your job. It’s much harder to become one when you are The Man. It’s why Giannis is struggling. He has to defend the best players, be the best player on offense, create for his teammates, and now they’re asking him to bring the ball upcourt by himself more and and more. He has too much on his plate to just simply become a great 3 point shooter.

Jordan would have to entirely change his whole shot to shoot 3s. He would have to be able to come off screens and catch and shoot them or develop a step back 3 like Harden. Durant can do it bc he’s 6’10. Kyrie struggles with his 3 point shooting and he’s a great shooter. Stars don’t get that many wide open 3s. Lebron can pull up bc he’s 6’9 and doesn’t have to worry about getting blocked. Jordan is like 6’5. He can’t pull up over people for 3s. His shot mechanics are all wrong for step back 3s and he doesn’t have the handles of Kyrie or the know how if Steph to come off screens and launch them.
    How many does Harden shoot? Like 12 per game or some insane number. I'm making no such claim for MJ.

I think its feasible for Jordan, who was incredibly athletic, had Kawhi sized hands, high bball iq and a drive that I have only seen Kobe come close to matching, to take 5 or 6 per game and hit at 35-37 % clip. It wouldn't involve reinventing himself especially in an era that does not allow hand checking. He went from being a slasher to being a turn around jump shot on the baseline guy. And that shot became like a layup thanks to repe ion. You adjust as needed.
    Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 07-06-2020 at 06:57 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    How many does Harden shoot? Like 12 per game or some insane number. I'm making no such claim for MJ.

I think its feasible for Jordan, who was incredibly athletic, had Kawhi sized hands, high bball iq and a drive that I have only seen Kobe come close to matching, to take 5 or 6 per game and hit at 35-37 % clip. It wouldn't involve reinventing himself especially in an era that does not allow hand checking. He went from being a slasher to being a turn around jump shot on the baseline guy. And that shot became like a layup thanks to repe ion. You adjust as needed.
    so its feasible for mj and other players to adjust to modern rules/style if they played in the modern league, but not feasible for modern players to adjust to previous generation rules/style

at these continued double standards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But he doesn’t have Kawhi like size and that’s what matters. Harden is another example of a star who isn’t that big so he had to come up with a way to get 3s. He takes step backs bc those are the only 3s he can really generate. If Harden was in the Ariza role or the later Kidd days, he would be 40%+ in threes. But he’s the main creator and facilitator, offense runs through him, so he’s in the 30s. It’s not like the 3 was invented before Jordan played. It was there his entire pro career. Even if you say that teams use it differently (which duh) there was no excuse for Jordan not to be in the upper 30% when he was playing other than he wasn’t good enough. He had teammates who hit 40%. Larry Bird shot in the 40% and he was before the 3. Jordan just wasn’t a great 3 point shooter.

He had 15 years to become one and he never did. It’s ok. He has flaws. But for people to just scoff like well if he played today’s game he would have a 3. Would he? What really would make his game different than Westbrook? A super athletic guard with a lightning first step who has midrange but no 3.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All-time stls leader. All-time asts leader.

Dude was a baller when he was like 41. Very few players stay elite into their 40's

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Agreed...but look at your ranking though

All-time stls leader. All-time asts leader.

Dude was a baller when he was like 41. Very few players stay elite into their 40's

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Point out the post I made stating that Lebron would be some insignificant role player in that era.

so its feasible for mj and other players to adjust to modern rules/style if they played in the modern league, but not feasible for modern players to adjust to previous generation rules/style

at these continued double standards

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Basketball is a rhythm sport. Jordan rarely took enough 3's to get in rhythm. And when he did:

But he doesn’t have Kawhi like size and that’s what matters. Harden is another example of a star who isn’t that big so he had to come up with a way to get 3s. He takes step backs bc those are the only 3s he can really generate. If Harden was in the Ariza role or the later Kidd days, he would be 40%+ in threes. But he’s the main creator and facilitator, offense runs through him, so he’s in the 30s. It’s not like the 3 was invented before Jordan played. It was there his entire pro career. Even if you say that teams use it differently (which duh) there was no excuse for Jordan not to be in the upper 30% when he was playing other than he wasn’t good enough. He had teammates who hit 40%. Larry Bird shot in the 40% and he was before the 3. Jordan just wasn’t a great 3 point shooter.

He had 15 years to become one and he never did. It’s ok. He has flaws. But for people to just scoff like well if he played today’s game he would have a 3. Would he? What really would make his game different than Westbrook? A super athletic guard with a lightning first step who has midrange but no 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball is a rhythm sport. Jordan rarely took enough 3's to get in rhythm. And when he did:

So one game? Can you show any other game of his where he did this? Get that weak out of here
    Yeah Michael Jordan never had the opportunity to get himself in rhythm ever again. The dude just got no shots up.
    Lol how do I fall for this troll job. Nice one

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    We both know the three just wasn't much of a thing back then.

Not claiming he would be Bird or Curry. But he'd be better than you think.

So one game? Can you show any other game of his where he did this? Get that weak out of here
    Yeah Michael Jordan never had the opportunity to get himself in rhythm ever again. The dude just got no shots up.
    Lol how do I fall for this troll job. Nice one

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed...but look at your ranking though
    All-time in two of five major categories. Yea, he should maybe be higher.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Those threes are darts (and largely open). His footing is not very good.
    You can tell he's not all that comfortable shooting from that range.
    He's probably a tick below Kobe when it comes to three shooting.
    Yea, maybe he could've been 32 3FG volume shooter or something; serviceable. That's all.
    His stroke even on a good night is just not up there with the Ray Allens or Klay Thompsons of the world.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Point out the post I made stating that Lebron would be some insignificant role player in that era.
    1 i never claimed you said this at all

2 why do you bring up lebron again when i said absolutely nothing about lebron obsessed

3 there are plenty of posts of you saying various modern players wouldnt be able to handle the style of previous eras which is where the double standard comes in. im not going to waste time pulling up a post when you know you said it

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Kobe is a solid comparison. Similar games. He shot like 33% for his career. And Jordan was generally a more efficient player than Kobe, so.....

Those threes are darts (and largely open). His footing is not very good.
    You can tell he's not all that comfortable shooting from that range.
    He's probably a tick below Kobe when it comes to three shooting.
    Yea, maybe he could've been 32 3FG volume shooter or something; serviceable. That's all.
    His stroke even on a good night is just not up there with the Ray Allens or Klay Thompsons of the world.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    99.9999999% of your replies to me are you swooping in to the aid of Lebron...or you agreeing with lefty who is elevating Lebron

We all know who you had in mind with the double standard comment

1 i never claimed you said this at all

2 why do you bring up lebron again when i said absolutely nothing about lebron obsessed

3 there are plenty of posts of you saying various modern players wouldnt be able to handle the style of previous eras which is where the double standard comes in. im not going to waste time pulling up a post when you know you said it

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe is a solid comparison. Similar games. He shot like 33% for his career. And Jordan was generally a more efficient player than Kobe, so.....
    Both had terrible strokes from outside. Kobe's probably a tinge prettier. Again, Michael's feet, bending the knees inward; just not conducive to range shooting.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    99.9999999% of your replies to me are you swooping in to the aid of Lebron...or you agreeing with lefty who is elevating Lebron

We all know who you had in mind with the double standard comment
    i dont deny being a lebron fan. but if you actually took the time to read anything, you would see that you were the one who brought up lebron the majority of the time, not me. my issue through basically all of our discussions have been with 1) double standards and 2) revisionist history of previous eras. lebron was usually the focus of the discussion due to your obsession with bringing him up. but i have defended plenty of other modern stars too on these subjects, such as steph, kd, kobe, harden, dirk, etc...

fwiw i grew up watching 90s basketball so it has a very special place in my heart. but im not going to be ignorant and exalt it as being something it wasnt. it was an era of basketball that generally lacked talent (compared to the 80s, 00s, and 10s), but overcame it with energy, effort and the showmanship of MJ.

whats also funny is your attempt to try to avoid addressing your ridiculous double standard. now im curious how you plan to justify it.

"mike is the goat, so he should get a pass!!!1!11!" is basically what it boils down to for people who use that ridiculous double standard

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not a double standard to simply post facts

Yes, expansion diluted the talent pool in the 90's.

And yes, some players today are overly sensitive, skinny jean wearing, metrosexual, instagram models who would wither up and die in 90's NBA

i dont deny being a lebron fan. but if you actually took the time to read anything, you would see that you were the one who brought up lebron the majority of the time, not me. my issue through basically all of our discussions have been with 1) double standards and 2) revisionist history of previous eras. lebron was usually the focus of the discussion due to your obsession with bringing him up. but i have defended plenty of other modern stars too on these subjects, such as steph, kd, kobe, harden, dirk, etc...

fwiw i grew up watching 90s basketball so it has a very special place in my heart. but im not going to be ignorant and exalt it as being something it wasnt. it was an era of basketball that generally lacked talent (compared to the 80s, 00s, and 10s), but overcame it with energy, effort and the showmanship of MJ.

whats also funny is your attempt to try to avoid addressing your ridiculous double standard. now im curious how you plan to justify it.

"mike is the goat, so he should get a pass!!!1!11!" is basically what it boils down to for people who use that ridiculous double standard

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Not a double standard to simply post facts
    so where is the fact that mj would be a 35-37% career 3pt shooter in the modern nba?

And yes, some players today are overly sensitive, skinny jean wearing, metrosexual, instagram models who would wither up and die in 90's NBA
    but if they grew up in the 70s and 80s, to play in the 90s, whos to say they would be overly sensitive, skinny jean wearing, metrosexual instagram models? just like whos to say mj would be a good 3pt shooter if he grew up later and played in the modern league? or that he wouldn't also be one of those same guys?

double standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We both know the three just wasn't much of a thing back then.

Not claiming he would be Bird or Curry. But he'd be better than you think.
    I know the 3 ball is waaaay more prevalent today but he still played in an era with the 3 point shot. He had 17 years to become a decent 3 point shooter and he never was one. I don’t think you realize how hard it is to be the man AND have a 3 point shot. There aren’t ANY shooting guards that I know of that were able to be the focal point on offense, create for others, and shoot the 3 ball at a good clip that you say besides James Harden. Lebron is 6’9. He has a size advantage over everyone which helps his 3 point % bc he can just pull up and shoot. Same with Durant. But smaller players hav to run around screens, do pic n roll 3s, or step backs. They aren’t set most of the time when they’re shooting.

I believe if Michael Jordan was in an Ariza role than of course he could be a good 3 point shooter. But in the role he played his entire career, I don’t see it happening. Even Kobe shot like 33% for his career. It’s hard man. Damn near impossible. There’s a difference in Michael being a good 3 point shooter and Michael doing all the things he was doing on top of being a good 3 point shooter. Kyrie Irving won a 3 point contest, is an all world shooter and dribbler, yet he shoots like 37% from 3.

Thread Information