Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson as a PG is laughable. Positions on offense aren't PG/SG/SF/PF/C, they're shooter/distibutor/screener etc. Obviously a player can play multiple roles. A player's position is largely determined by who they guard on defense. Mills is a PG because he guards PGs; he is definitely not an initiator of the offense or a distributor.
    I'll go along with that definition.
    Makes sense to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson as a PG is laughable. Positions on offense aren't PG/SG/SF/PF/C, they're shooter/distibutor/screener etc. Obviously a player can play multiple roles. A player's position is largely determined by who they guard on defense. Mills is a PG because he guards PGs; he is definitely not an initiator of the offense or a distributor.
    Yeah. The Spurs will miss Patty's scoring/hustle. They won't miss his running of the offense. Anderson pretty much replaces no one on offense. He'll have to carve out a new niche over the next few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a point (forward) obviously... Being a point has a special meaning that has nothing to do with defense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. The Spurs will miss Patty's scoring/hustle. They won't miss his running of the offense. Anderson pretty much replaces no one on offense. He'll have to carve out a new niche over the next few years.
    Well someone has to bring the ball up the floor, dont see why Anderson couldn't do it... Neal did it... If he can do it then you dont need a midget at the 1 and instead you can put Green or something when TP is sitting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well someone has to bring the ball up the floor, dont see why Anderson couldn't do it... Neal did it... If he can do it then you dont need a midget at the 1 and instead you can put Green or something when TP is sitting...
    Anderson can bring the ball up the floor just fine, but he's probably going to be on the opponent's worst scorer. Green can guard PGs. But he won't do so a lot during the regular season. He won't play enough minutes, and he won't play that many minutes out of position. Obviously, it's not a big deal with Joseph on the team, though.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice...keep going...what do you think about Anderson? What is he?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice...keep going...what do you think about Anderson? What is he?
    It does seem logically inconsistent to define positions on offense and defense differently. Still, it simplifies things enough to be useful.

On defense I see Anderson being either a SF or PF, mainly by process of elimination. He isn't tall or strong enough to defend centers in the post and isn't nearly quick enough to keep up with guards. He does seem to have the negative aspect of the "tweener" forward: too slow to defend SFs and too small to defend PFs.

All that said, I think he'll end up as a PF on the depth chart, similar to Diaw. 230 lbs is enough to not get pushed around by most bench PFs and 6-8, while short for the position, is not disastrously so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His future is probably as a stretch 4. I definitely agree with 79er here. We're going to have to do some very deliberate work in development and put him in the right lineups to hide his shortcomings.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His future is probably as a stretch 4. I definitely agree with 79er here. We're going to have to do some very deliberate work in development and put him in the right lineups to hide his shortcomings.
    Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure what his future position is.
    After having read many many articles and watching videos now on this kid, I am beginning to think that his "slow" rep may not actually be due to him not being athletic, but rather because he seems to be, and causes others around him to be, moving in slow motion, thus his nickname "Slomo".
    I guess we will see soon whatever the case may be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure what his future position is.
    After having read many many articles and watching videos now on this kid, I am beginning to think that his "slow" rep may not actually be due to him not being athletic, but rather because he seems to be, and causes others around him to be, moving in slow motion, thus his nickname "Slomo".
    I guess we will see soon whatever the case may be.
    It looks like slow motion because he is slow, he just makes up for it with court vision and timing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compared to Matt Bonner, how does he stack up at the PF position?

Actually speaking about athleticism or lack of it, is he like Zach Randolph?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think by the time Anderson is in his prime the distinction between PF/SF/SG will be almost moot. He'll never be a fantastic defender, but if he's a creator on offense you can stick him on the weakest offensive player of those three positions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a lot here are down on Anderson. But I think he still could be a very nice role player. A Boris Diaw type. I think he can play the 3 or the 4. I also believe he will develop his body and continue to progress. He is only 21 years old.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKYP84YVb9U

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went back and check his game logs. When he was filling in for Kawhi and actually getting regular rotation minutes, from 6 December to 31 December, he shot 50% from the field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his defense is so laughable, he has a very very slow first step

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his defense is so laughable, he has a very very slow first step
    His lack of footspeed is why I ultimately think he goes the Boris route and bulks up to play/guard 4s. He's still maturing into his body, but I don't ever think he'll develop the necessary quicks to be a passable defender at the 3 spot. But at the 4, it's definitely possible. , the Spurs even turned Matt Bonner into a passable defender. Matt Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His lack of footspeed is why I ultimately think he goes the Boris route and bulks up to play/guard 4s. He's still maturing into his body, but I don't ever think he'll develop the necessary quicks to be a passable defender at the 3 spot. But at the 4, it's definitely possible. , the Spurs even turned Matt Bonner into a passable defender. Matt Bonner.
    i really have high hopes for this kid, he has the handles, and a formidablle shot that can be improved of course with a couple training sessions with the shot guru Chip England.....his dream was to play for the spurs while in college, and hopefully he makes the necessary steps to keep that dream alive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally believe he is going to be a 4. He would be a match up nightmare for most 4's if he puts 20 pounds of muscle on. His handles and passing ability will make him tough to guard on offense and at 250 he would be able to hold his own on the block.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But for now he must be a manu-apprentice to help the team in 2016 and facilitate transition for the latter's retirement.

Thread Information