Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AAU exists. Like it has a million problems with how it develops guys and exploits their talents, but it exists. High school players aren't necessarily playing against massively inferior compe ion all the time. That doesn't even get into that there are definitely good high school leagues that have people moving from other parts of the country/world to join.

This also isn't really a "me doing me" thing. The Spurs are on record of saying they pretty much disregarded Murray's year at UW. Perhaps that was to their peril, but it's an example that high-school tape isn't just an afterthought for one-and-done players.
    Not discounting high school all the way, read my post above.

Not saying I don't believe you, but if you or anyone could post a link where the Spurs are on record for dismissing Murray's year at UW, that would be appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we should start posting high school tape in each of the prospect threads we have on this board, eh? It would be weird to just have it for Poku. Anyone have links to full games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not discounting high school all the way, read my post above.

Not saying I don't believe you, but if you or anyone could post a link where the Spurs are on record for dismissing Murray's year at UW, that would be appreciated.
    I may have misremembered how it happened. This is what I found that Buford said about Murray's scouting:

When did you first see him play?

RC: Some of our scouts had seen him prior to when he first went to the University of Washington, but over the course of the year we saw him several times. In the Bahamas, during one of the early-season tournaments, one of our scouts went there, I saw him play a couple of times in the [Pac-12], we had people around that group all the time.
    https://www.poundingtherock.com/2016...ejounte-murray

I think what may have happened is that there was a thread talking about that quote on ST, saying that the Spurs were able to project more onto Murray's developmental curve because they didn't just base it on college tape. Maybe that's not true, and there is another quote from RC going more into that. But I wouldn't know how to find it at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again,

My problem is saying

"Look guys, watch this video and see how much he dominated this game. Very easy to see how high his ceiling in this game"

Rather

"Look guys, Jaron likes to shoot at mid-range. Theres some passing skill there. He plays with a high motor"

I watched Jaron in the g-league. Most of the stuff he does in this high school video, he barely did against g league compe ion. But i respect that he had those skills deep underneath, i just wont say it translates or has a high chance of translating to higher levels of compe ion.
    This is true. And I agree with the substance of what you're saying. Remember though that Blossom was drafted five years after this video was made. There was a ton of college tape on him, in a lot of different situations, by the time he was picked. I doubt RC and the rest of the staff looked at what he did in high school. I imagine that same thing was true for White. But with Murray, Walker and Johnson, high school/AAU was just the year before. And for multiple reasons, none of those guys got to see as many opportunities as you'd like to evaluate a player.

But yes, that does highlight the reasons for caution. Blossom showing a more complete game versus lesser compe ion isn't close to rare. He's a fringe-NBA player and would probably be an upper-tier guy in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said it was unverifiable that the Olympiacos b-team is worse than d-league teams. The d-league is full of fringe NBA players. Not every d-league player is at that fringe level, and a lot of fringe players are overseas, but it's still an extremely talented league. It's certainly the second-best league in the Americas.
    So you meant the D-league had a lot of the 700/1000 top players in the World, not the NCAA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis is such a lazy comparison. He, like Kawhi, had an unpredictable development curve. You can't project anyone to improve like they did. If people were saying, "Poke is going to suck; otherwise, he'd've played for a better league" then talking about Giannis makes sense. But a lot of players develop in that league and don't go on to succeed, so using Giannis as an example is problematic at best and straight deceitful at worse.

The relationship between skill-set and compe ion level is a real thing that you seem to be ignoring, likely because you don't realize how skilled NBA players are beyond the roles they play on their teams. Anthony Davis was a really skilled player with a guard's floor game, but you barely see him do anything outside typical big-man things because NBA guards can do guard things better than NBA bigs can, and vice versa. So Davis totally panned out, but if you were trying to look at those PG skills and projecting him on those ("Man if that can translate to the NBA"), then you'd've been wrong. Panning out of busting isn't a matter of being the same in the NBA as in lower levels. It's possible that almost none of the things people are gushing over will be good enough, but he'll be able to shoot and protect the rim enough to be a good player. Success, but not at all from the "skills he displays" against lower compe ion.

And of course scouts watch high-school tape. The are you guys talking about? You think with all the one-and-dones that scouts are just basing their opinions on one year? Do you think teams are watching just the three games Wiseman played?
    Why would Giannis be a lazy example? It's the prefect example to understand that players should be targeted on their skillsets, instead of being close-minded and afraid because of the level of compe ion they play in. American high-schools are a pretty much the tiest level of compe ion NBA players can get drafted from, but you would have been re ed not to take Lebron James despite of it.

All I'm saying is, focus on the player and his strengths and weaknesses and how would those translate and/or develop in the NBA. Not taking a guy because of the level of compe ion he plays in is pretty much the worst mistake a GM could make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you meant the D-league had a lot of the 700/1000 top players in the World, not the NCAA?
    Yes, and just to clarify, that's what I actually said in my post. I think you thought I said most college teams were better, when I specifically said the opposite. I do think the NCAA has a lot of top-1000 players in the world, and if you took them and put them into 30 teams, it'd be a more talented league than many other domestic teams, but good domestic leagues and especially the Euroleague would be ahead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Giannis be a lazy example?
    Because he's the exception to so many rules that citing him doesn't disprove anything but absolute statements.

It's the prefect example to understand that players should be targeted on their skillsets, instead of being close-minded and afraid because of the level of compe ion they play in.
    Nah, what it is is a bad attempt to negate the idea that demonstrated skill-sets are often a function of compe ion level. Literally no one said the level of compe ion was a reason not to draft him, so you're arguing against no one by citing Giannis.

American high-schools are a pretty much the tiest level of compe ion NBA players can get drafted from, but you would have been re ed not to take Lebron James despite of it.
    Once one-and-done stops being a thing, high schools will become a much better drafting ground. Even now guys like Bazley and the Makers are showing it's not the worst thing in the world, but back when James was drafted, it was definitely a better pool than Europe or anywhere else in the world outside the NCAA.

You're missing the point though. James was drafted because he projected to translate. He was safe, just like Tim was. Plenty of dominant high-school players don't project well, even though they often have good floor games and what not, and they don't get drafted high. That's really true now, but it was true back then too.

All I'm saying is, focus on the player and his strengths and weaknesses and how would those translate and/or develop in the NBA.
    You're not doing that, though. You're specifically trying to not do that and instead arguing that the chances they magically do are worth picking him. You're trying to dismiss the effect of lesser compe ion while pinning on others the idea that they think it's the most important thing. Truth is there's a relationship between the two concepts, and folks like you should consider that relationship when talking about Poke's developmental curve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, I would argue that, given the history of these players that gather attention from very low level places of play, the smart thing would be to pay even more attention to them. Players like Kobe, Garnett and Giannis probably weren't selected number 1 overall because of people's skepticism about their level of compe ion. If folks would have cared more about their actual skill levels, instead of focusing on their compe ion, they would have selected the best player in the draft.

Not too long ago I was arguing with Spurtacular about the relative importance of college for young promising players. I checked the list of all the players that made it from high school straight to the NBA, and the vast majority had a long career in the league. Meaning that, despite their poor level of compe ion, they were still able to make it in the league because of the talent that made them stand out in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, I would argue that, given the history of these players that gather attention from very low level places of play, the smart thing would be to pay even more attention to them. Players like Kobe, Garnett and Giannis probably weren't selected number 1 overall because of people's skepticism about their level of compe ion. If folks would have cared more about their actual skill levels, instead of focusing on their compe ion, they would have selected the best player in the draft
    This is speculation. Especially in Giannis' case, people just didn't really know much about him. He'd've probably been a top-10 pick had he been on teams' radars more. The push then was to find the next Durant, so long athletic forwards from all over the world had their stocks really high.

For KG, he was in a pool of PFs who all had good NBA careers. Garnett ended up being the best of them, but the three guys before him were legit All-Stars in their primes. The same thing happened with Kobe, though not to the same concentration of elite players.

This is a lot of major hindsight. Teams passed over Leonard for some reason too. Doesn't mean it's some systematic flaw that has to be correct.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, I would argue that, given the history of these players that gather attention from very low level places of play, the smart thing would be to pay even more attention to them. Players like Kobe, Garnett and Giannis probably weren't selected number 1 overall because of people's skepticism about their level of compe ion. If folks would have cared more about their actual skill levels, instead of focusing on their compe ion, they would have selected the best player in the draft.

Not too long ago I was arguing with Spurtacular about the relative importance of college for young promising players. I checked the list of all the players that made it from high school straight to the NBA, and the vast majority had a long career in the league. Meaning that, despite their poor level of compe ion, they were still able to make it in the league because of the talent that made them stand out in the first place.
    Again, you're talking about blue chips. I'm talking aggregate. Multiple years of lower level basketball is best for most players.

As for Kobe, that's always been a curious case to me. There was some sort underground dealing going on or something. It was written in stone that he had to go to the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he's the exception to so many rules that citing him doesn't disprove anything but absolute statements.
    How many other players drafted from the second division Greek league do you know?

Nah, what it is is a bad attempt to negate the idea that demonstrated skill-sets are often a function of compe ion level. Literally no one said the level of compe ion was a reason not to draft him, so you're arguing against no one by citing Giannis.
    You are clearly showing skepticism regarding Poku's actual level of play because of his level of compe ion. What better way to counter that idea than by citing the other player from the Greek second division that gathered this type of attention from NBA scouts?

Once one-and-done stops being a thing, high schools will become a much better drafting ground. Even now guys like Bazley and the Makers are showing it's not the worst thing in the world, but back when James was drafted, it was definitely a better pool than Europe or anywhere else in the world outside the NCAA.
    Sorry, but this is just pure US self-centered ignorance at its finest. The idea of teams composed of high-school kids being more compe ive than the best professionals in Europe is just mind numbing laughable.

You're missing the point though. James was drafted because he projected to translate. He was safe, just like Tim was. Plenty of dominant high-school players don't project well, even though they often have good floor games and what not, and they don't get drafted high. That's really true now, but it was true back then too.

Then talk about how you think Poku's game doesn't seem to be projected to translate, not the level of compe ion, tbh.

You're not doing that, though. You're specifically trying to not do that and instead arguing that the chances they magically do are worth picking him. You're trying to dismiss the effect of lesser compe ion while pinning on others the idea that they think it's the most important thing. Truth is there's a relationship between the two concepts, and folks like you should consider that relationship when talking about Poke's developmental curve.
    No, I'm not. You are the one over-fixating about the compe ion instead of analyzing each skillset on its own.

If prime Shaq was put on the A2 right now, he wouldn't suddenly start bringing the ball up the court, crossing people over and start making step back 3's. He would dominate but in the same way he dominated the NBA, most likely with more pedestrian stats since NBA basketball tends to inflate stats compared to Europe.

Just this morning I saw a story on youtube about Kawhi playing in high-school, he was doing exactly the same things and moves he does right now but against high-school kids. A Chinook somewhere would have probably said "yeah, well, but let's see if he can translate that to the NBA". Yeah, no , that's what you have to see with everybody.

Seriously, I don't even know why this is an argument. Are you saying that Poku's game won't translate because he plays against ty compe ion, or that we have to see if his game translates? If it's the latter then that's true for every drafted player, no matter where they come from. A2, Euroleague, NCAA, high school. Everybody has to prove themselves and no previous compe ion guarantees anything, in fact, the players drafted from the lower compe ions (high school and Europe's lesser leagues) have a higher degree of success than the players drafted from the more conventional places (NCAA and Europe's top leagues), you know why? Because the players that draw the attention of NBA scouts in the lower level leagues do it so because they are special, they are out of the norm. And those type of players will succeed more often than not.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-26-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corona madness has set in on Spurs Talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many other players drafted from the second division Greek league do you know?
    I can't imagine very many. That's why it's weird that you're laughing.

You are clearly showing skepticism regarding Poku's actual level of play because of his level of compe ion. What better way to counter that idea than by citing the other player from the Greek second division that gathered this type of attention from NBA scouts?
    First, Giannis DIDN'T gather this type of attention. His agent was literally sending out tapes of his play to NBA scouts hoping someone would notice him. The truth is that this is not a way to counter the skepticism. It's warranted, and you just have to hope it's not true. You can't dismiss it, and unless you factor it into what you're seeing, you're not evaluating him fairly.

Sorry, but this is just pure US self-centered ignorance at its finest. The idea of teams composed of high-school kids being more compe ive than the best professionals in Europe is just mind numbing laughable.
    I didn't say that. I said it was a better pool for evaluating NBA talent. That's for a lot of reasons, including ease of access and the relationships teams had built with high-school clubs. You're showing how new you are to scouting by ignoring the history of its development in the NBA. Stop trying to score anti-US points; it's boring.

Then talk about how you think Poku's game doesn't seem to be projected to translate, not the level of compe ion, tbh.
    No. The level of compe ion matters. You don't seem to get that. No one is saying it's the most important thing. You are saying it's irrelevant, and that's just objectively wrong.

No, I'm not. You are the one over-fixating about the compe ion instead of analyzing each skillset on its own.
    No matter how many times you try to say I'm fixating on level of compe ion, it won't be true. It just makes it seem like you aren't reading what I'm saying and instead turtling into "I know what I see."

If prime Shaq was put on the A2 right now, he wouldn't suddenly start bringing the ball up the court, crossing people over and start making step back 3's. He would dominate but in the same way he dominated the NBA, most likely with more pedestrian stats since NBA basketball tends to inflate stats compared to Europe.
    He'd definitely be the guy running their offense. He wouldn't bring the ball up the court because that's not an essential skill. And he would probably just post up because he doesn't need to attack the defense from the high post. But would he have numerous coast-to-coast moments when he did dribble up the court and dunk it? Of course he would.

Just this morning I saw a story on youtube about Kawhi playing in high-school, he was doing exactly the same things and moves he does right now but against high-school kids. A Chinook somewhere would have probably said "yeah, well, but let's see if he can translate that to the NBA". Yeah, no , that's what you have to see with everybody.
    Do you realize how bad this looks for your point? He wasn't even doing the stuff he does in the NBA now in the first years he was in the NBA or in college. It's like you don't even remember his developmental curve at all.

Seriously, I don't even know why this is an argument. Are you saying that Poku's game won't translate because he plays against ty compe ion, or that we have to see if his game translates? If it's the latter then that's true for every drafted player, no matter where they come from. A2, Euroleague, NCAA, high school. Everybody has to prove themselves and no previous compe ion guarantees anything, in fact, the players drafted from the lower compe ions (high school and Europe's lesser leagues) have a higher degree of success than the players drafted from the more conventional places (NCAA and Europe's top leagues)?
    The point is that the NBA is so good that basically very few skills translate. You're looking at him in some generalist/superstar light without considering what he can already do at the NBA level. Because there will be guys who can dribble better than him, pass better than him, shoot better than him. There'll be guys who can rebound better and defend better. Those guys might not be able to do everything better than him, but they don't have to, because the NBA is about specialists more than generalists. That's why positional striation exists. So the question isn't "Will his game translate". It's "What can he do at an NBA level, and what can he be projected to do at an NBA level as he goes through his curve."

you know why? Because the players that draw the attention of NBA scouts in the lower level leagues do it so because they are special, they are out of the norm. And those type of players will succeed more often than not.
    Is that actually true? I think it depends on how you cut the data.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't imagine very many. That's why it's weird that you're laughing.
    If there aren't many, then how can Giannis be the "exception to many rules"? Do you even keep up with what you say?

First, Giannis DIDN'T gather this type of attention. His agent was literally sending out tapes of his play to NBA scouts hoping someone would notice him. The truth is that this is not a way to counter the skepticism. It's warranted, and you just have to hope it's not true. You can't dismiss it, and unless you factor it into what you're seeing, you're not evaluating him fairly.
    However it was that he gathered the attention, he did it. That's why he was drafted in the middle of the first draft despite coming from an unkown league.

I didn't say that. I said it was a better pool for evaluating NBA talent. That's for a lot of reasons, including ease of access and the relationships teams had built with high-school clubs. You're showing how new you are to scouting by ignoring the history of its development in the NBA. Stop trying to score anti-US points; it's boring.
    This whole argument started because you are questioning Poku's level of compe ion. I brought Lebron and high school to make you realize that his level of compe ion also sucked. So, now, you turning the argument from "level of compe ion" to "talent pool" is irrelevant.

No. The level of compe ion matters. You don't seem to get that. No one is saying it's the most important thing. You are saying it's irrelevant, and that's just objectively wrong.
    It's pretty irrelevant, given the fact that history shows that prospects from the lower levels of compe ion have had a much greater level of success in the NBA than prospects from higher levels of compe ion. If anything, the fact that Poku gathers this type of attention despite playing in such a poor league should make GMs even more confident about his chances of making it at the NBA level.

No matter how many times you try to say I'm fixating on level of compe ion, it won't be true. It just makes it seem like you aren't reading what I'm saying and instead turtling into "I know what I see."
    Well, you brought it up, and here we are, a day later, still discussing it, despite years and years of evidence proving that the level of compe ion actually works the other way around, not because the level of compe ion itself, but because the players that make themselves stand out on these lower leagues are usually pretty special talents.

He'd definitely be the guy running their offense. He wouldn't bring the ball up the court because that's not an essential skill. And he would probably just post up because he doesn't need to attack the defense from the high post. But would he have numerous coast-to-coast moments when he did dribble up the court and dunk it? Of course he would.
    Why? Do you think playing against lesser compe ion increases your skill level? It doesn't work that way son. If you can't dribble, you can't dribble. Shaq wouldn't suddenly start being an 80% FT shooter on the Greek league. Also, the big difference between NBA players and the rest of the World comes on offense, not in defense. Sure, NBA players run faster and jump hugher on average but in a vacuum the difference isn't that big on that side of the floor. Any 5'11" pesky European guard would be able to steal or make Shaq pick up his dribble if he tries to do something he isn't cut out for doing like dribbling it up the court going coast to coast.

On a related note, did you know that offense comes a lot easier in the NBA than in Europe? Every FIBA born player knows this fact. Even non-NBA players like Laprovittola are on record saying that the extra space and more offense oriented rules makes for the NBA a much easier league to attack the basket and offense in general than FIBA leagues. That's why FIBA players usually tend to struggle more with defense than offense when getting to the NBA.

Do you realize how bad this looks for your point? He wasn't even doing the stuff he does in the NBA now in the first years he was in the NBA or in college. It's like you don't even remember his developmental curve at all.

Go ahead son, lose all credibility and tell me these moves aren't exactly the same ones he pulls today in the NBA.

The point is that the NBA is so good that basically very few skills translate. You're looking at him in some generalist/superstar light without considering what he can already do at the NBA level. Because there will be guys who can dribble better than him, pass better than him, shoot better than him. There'll be guys who can rebound better and defend better. Those guys might not be able to do everything better than him, but they don't have to, because the NBA is about specialists more than generalists. That's why positional striation exists. So the question isn't "Will his game translate". It's "What can he do at an NBA level, and what can he be projected to do at an NBA level as he goes through his curve."
    It's not about what a player does on the lower levels but how he does it. For example, Sadidiq Bey and Devin Vassell are guys that put the ball on the floor and try to playmake a bit right now, but looking at their handles anyone with a bit of understanding knows that their handles and dribbling skills aren't enough to translate what they are doing to the next level. That's why everybody has them as 3 and D players. Saddiq Bey will never be a 20+ ppg primary offensive option on the NBA like he is in NCAA. And this is something any trained pair of eyes can realize just by watching him dribble the ball alone on a basketball court. His level of compe ion doesn't matter. Pokusevski, on the other hand, is a natural with the ball in his hands and, no, the level of compe ion isn't the reason why he can dribble the ball behind his back and between his legs on a tigh space and then laser a no-look pass on the money cross court. He can do that because he has was born with the talent to do that.

Is that actually true? I think it depends on how you cut the data.
    Just take all the players that were drafted straight from high school and from Europe's second division leagues and check how many managed to be at least rotation players with extended careers on the NBA.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-26-2020 at 05:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't attack me, I'm just sharing what's the latest on my feed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, the NBADraft.net guy.

Scouts questioned Jokićs desire. Scouts questioned Samanics desire.

Rebounding IS desire. A skinny assed 7 foot, 18 YO put up good rebounding numbers in a league playing against bulkier bigger grown men.

And I’m sure you’re just trying to keep us all informed from your feed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let'S get him imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the NBADraft.net guy.

Scouts questioned Jokićs desire. Scouts questioned Samanics desire.

Rebounding IS desire. A skinny assed 7 foot, 18 YO put up good rebounding numbers in a league playing against bulkier bigger grown men.

And I’m sure you’re just trying to keep us all informed from your feed...
    I don't ing have anything against Poku. It's irritating about people like you that you can't accept criticism about players whose balls are in your mouth. Jesus. I hate when people turn it against others because their just blind to their own POV. Take off that dog cone, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't ing have anything against Poku. It's irritating about people like you that you can't accept criticism about players whose balls are in your mouth. Jesus. I hate when people turn it against others because their just blind to their own POV. Take off that dog cone, man.
    Devin Vassell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah? I'm the one throwing criticism at Devin so your post makes no sense just like your logic about prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you’re throwing criticism at Poku, and any other damn player who isn’t precious enough for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you’re throwing criticism at Poku, and any other damn player who isn’t precious enough for you.
    Yes, because idiots like you like to crown prospects as the next big thing. Even I have my own criticism towards Precious, Nesmith, and all the other players I like because I have the ability to temper my expectations. You don't. That's the difference. , at one point I was all-in on Isaiah Stewart but I knew when to step back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re coming at this from two different angles, too. You’re trying to figure out who you want for the Spurs to pick. I’m trying to figure out who they want to pick. Considering the outrage here after the Samanic pick last year, most of fandom struggles with what I’m attempting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re coming at this from two different angles, too. You’re trying to figure out who you want for the Spurs to pick. I’m trying to figure out who they want to pick. Considering the outrage here after the Samanic pick last year, most of fandom struggles with what I’m attempting.
    Honest question, why then would you think the Spurs are so high (since you're so high on him) on Pokusevski? There have been no reports that they're interested in him, Spurs haven't scouted him as far as we know (like they did and openly admitted to doing with Samanic and other prospects), they've already taken on a project PF in last years' draft which, while obviously not completely throwing out the possibility, does make it unlikely that they'd select yet another project PF; and lastly, they probably see taking Poku at #11 as a reach, and will be trying to get a more "safe" prospect with their highest pick in years. This isn't like swinging for the fences with a #19 or #29 pick, where you can live with failure since the stakes weren't so high.

To me, and from what I've read and heard so far, there's no indicators whatsoever that the Spurs are particularly interested in Poku, beyond the fact that he's European and Spurs are clichéd as always picking Euros over American prospects. So, unless you have certain information I haven't read, you're looking like you're trying to play off your interest in Poku, as the Spurs' interest in Poku... Which is weird. And I'm not saying this because I want them to pick other prospects (if I had to say, even though I like Precious, I think they're most likely to take PatWill, tbh).

Thread Information