Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs have to give him something like $24-28M/4 if they want to extend him. Otherwise, he should just play the field. You look at his "fair market value" at $5 Million APY. I see that as a reasonable floor. Like maybe he falls off, but he should get enough of a backup role, he's young and he has great advanced stats. Add in the Spurs' seal of approval, and he probably has a decent market. The plan should be to give him a bit more than his ceiling now and how he can develop into the future starting center. If they don't believe he's going to be good enough for that, then they should have traded him, because if I'm him, I'm diving on that QO as soon as it's extended if my market is really that bad.

And if he is good enough to be a good $5 Million APY player, the slight overpay won't hurt the club. Having solid dependable guys with years ahead of them is worth a $2-Million premium.
    Zubac: 4yrs/28mill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zubac's contract is a more than adequate comparison...potential starting center in the same conference for a team with the ambitions to compete for the le.
    But
    a) a first element to consider is that you have to put that salary in the light that taxes in California are terrible compared to the Texas's ones...
    b) in an offensive minded league like nba has become since the "beautiful game" and the coming of the Warriors, a center like Zubac (better offense, less defense than Poeltl) is actually more valuable and definitively has an higher market value...

That said, an offer of a 5/30 is actual a little above of market value for a player of Jacob skills but worth giving considering that looks like he likes the place and environment...and could have a decent to good place on the team for the years to come...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we can only have two players on a 5 year contract. So if we give Potel a 5yr contract that means noone more 5yr for murray/white/walker.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Zubac's contract is a more than adequate comparison...potential starting center in the same conference for a team with the ambitions to compete for the le..
    -Zubac/Beasley: traded for Muscala

-Poodle/DeFrozen: traded for the best player in the league

RC Drunkford

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes before Duncan gets him to good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As good as the signs were from Purrtl, he isn't worth an extension at this point. If we can get a guy like Boban for 3.5M, no way we should keep a backup C like Purrtl for 5-7M. Not a big difference between what the two provide (backup C spot minutes) in our offense now. And playing 2 non-shooting bigs is suicide in Today's NBA now anyway.

Now if we did our job and got Anunoby or Siakam instead, we would have had to pay.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    As good as the signs were from Purrtl, he isn't worth an extension at this point. If we can get a guy like Boban for 3.5M, no way we should keep a backup C like Purrtl for 5-7M. Not a big difference between what the two provide (backup C spot minutes) in our offense now. And playing 2 non-shooting bigs is suicide in Today's NBA now anyway.

Now if we did our job and got Anunoby or Siakam instead, we would have had to pay.
    Poeltl is a solid starting Center which Boban is not. Second Anunoby and Siakam were never really in play, also this story gets old. You can get an Allstar and a good Young Player or nothing.
    As the Season progressed, Aldridge and Poeltl played better and better together. What Poeltl lacks is a decent midrange Shot, which can be worked on. Not every player needs to be a 3-Point Shooter.
    Everything Else Poeltl is already what you need: Able to defend the Perimenter decent enough, shot blocking/altering shot, rim protection, efficent finishing around the rim, great offensive rebounder (defensiv could be better), one of the best screen setters of the league, high Basketball IQ, good lockerroom guy, the defense of the team is much better with him on the court. Can defend one on one against better bigs. There are not many non All-Star Center who can provide that at the age of 23 and he only is getting better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter was essentially replaced by Aldridge, tbh. Or if you're talking about the starting center position, Splitter was replaced by Duncan. Add in Old Gasol and Dedmon in the meantime and I don't think Splitter was missed too much, if at all.

But, yeah, Splitter is a pretty good comparison for Poeltl. Peak Splitter was better than current Poeltl ... but even he wouldn't be worth a ton in today's game. He was one of the best pick-and-roll bigs on the planet but he couldn't do much once removed from Ginobili and Parker.
    but can poeltl post up fisher, tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but can poeltl post up fisher, tbh?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't give him more than 8mil probably.

I like him, but he's pretty replaceable and I'd like the cap for 2021

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is a solid starting Center which Boban is not. Second Anunoby and Siakam were never really in play, also this story gets old. You can get an Allstar and a good Young Player or nothing.
    As the Season progressed, Aldridge and Poeltl played better and better together. What Poeltl lacks is a decent midrange Shot, which can be worked on. Not every player needs to be a 3-Point Shooter.
    Everything Else Poeltl is already what you need: Able to defend the Perimenter decent enough, shot blocking/altering shot, rim protection, efficent finishing around the rim, great offensive rebounder (defensiv could be better), one of the best screen setters of the league, high Basketball IQ, good lockerroom guy, the defense of the team is much better with him on the court. Can defend one on one against better bigs. There are not many non All-Star Center who can provide that at the age of 23 and he only is getting better.
    No post moves at all, not even a great hook shot, not a great passer, not good enough of a defensive rebounder, bad free throw shooter, no jump shot. There are a lot of things he can work on, he's far from elite just a natural good fit for this team and the kind of offense we like to run with the bench.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't give him more than 8mil probably.

I like him, but he's pretty replaceable and I'd like the cap for 2021
    That's the most I'd give too on an extension. I think we probably lose him next summer because he'll be to expensive on the open market. Yes, we could match but I don't think we will when he gets offers around 12M.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only decent thing is we have Nikola we can bring over but yeah he will get 10 to 14 a mill contract from someone- New York?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No post moves at all, not even a great hook shot, not a great passer, not good enough of a defensive rebounder, bad free throw shooter, no jump shot. There are a lot of things he can work on, he's far from elite just a natural good fit for this team and the kind of offense we like to run with the bench.
    Really the only issue that matters, that you listed, are FT shooting and defensive rebounding and both are fixable. I also don't think he's a bad passer, just hasn't been asked to facilitate much.

Centers don't necessarily need to have a jumper or post moves. He could easily average a double-double by being a rim roller who can hit 70% from the line and get buckets off tip ins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see him commanding much given the landscape of the market for centers these days -- now that there's a surplus of bigs since bigger wings have flooded one of the "big" positions, or the 4 spot.

I'd say 6-8 mil per is about right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I swear the “easily replaceable” idea is idiotic.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He was also good at toronto. A totally different play style. He is a good passer, dont know why you think otherwise. His emphasis is on defense, offense can be learned. Nobody said anything about elite. We are talking about stating center, and he clearly is good enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams like Golden State and Flakers he’ll even Dallas will throw mad money at him and He will NOT be easily replaced if we loose him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the most I'd give too on an extension. I think we probably lose him next summer because he'll be to expensive on the open market. Yes, we could match but I don't think we will when he gets offers around 12M.
    You might be right but luckily the Spurs will have one more full season to gauge his talents, and moreover, where they think his cieling is and how that will fit in with a youndmg developing core.

So frankly, I'm not too worried about it either way. If he shows out this year, and earns a bigger annual paycheck, then that's a great problem to have. If he underperforms, then either they let him go without an offer or they keep him in house for a club-friendly deal, while he continues to develop.

Ultimately, in PATFO I trust. Especially with a second year of development under his belt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might be right but luckily the Spurs will have one more full season to gauge his talents, and moreover, where they think his ceiling is and how that will fit in with a young and developing core.

So frankly, I'm not too worried about it either way. If he shows out this year, and earns a bigger annual paycheck, then that's a great problem to have. If he underperforms, then either they let him go without an offer or they keep him in house for a club-friendly deal, while he continues to develop.

Ultimately, in PATFO I trust. Especially with a second year of development under his belt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don’t extend and then lose Poeltl and then dont extend and lose DeRozan you really traded Kawhi for Keldon Johnson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might be right but luckily the Spurs will have one more full season to gauge his talents, and moreover, where they think his ceiling is and how that will fit in with a young and developing core.

Not just another year to gauge his development, but a year of working with Tim. Of all the players currently on the roster Poodle stands to benefit most from Tim’s presence as a full-time assistant coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just another year to gauge his development, but a year of working with Tim. Of all the players currently on the roster Poodle stands to benefit most from Tim’s presence as a full-time assistant coach.
    Indeed. My expectations are that he becomes an integral part of the youth movement coming to the ATT Center. I think he forces a 10-12M year contract after a uva season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see them extending him. They have no incentive to do so when the RFA system is so favorable to in bent teams. They have lately chosen to let the market set the price on their roleplayers RFA and go from there. I like Poltl but don’t see how they treat him any different unless he signs a very very cheap deal.
    This is right. The only counterpoint I can think of is if there is some reason it makes sense to get out from under his summer of 2020 11-12M caphold now. I keep forgetting he was a lotto pick. Kinda the same reasoning but with opposite outcomes (waiting to last moment) for dealing with Murray’s extension.

But I guess that would also mean they’re moving on from LMA/DDR and are planning to open capspace, which I don’t see right now for next summer.

Thread Information