Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah...that's what I was wondering. I was about to start the series and it started off with "last time on...". Then started to replay some scenes. I assumed they were from the miniseries.
    The miniseries should be watched first. It was filmed as a stand-alone iirc because the Sci-fi channel wanted to see how it did before picking it up as a series. So the miniseries itself shows the destruction of the 12 colonies and is a good introduction to all the characters and what the main conflict is going to be.

The opening episode of the series "33" is ing awesome, but it just throws you right in.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I assume you’re referring to the 2005 remake, not the original? It is my all-time favourite TV show. I’ve never watched another show where I’ve seen more consistency in terms of the writing. Most shows have threads that are abandoned, don’t mesh together, and just a lot of “missing” connections in terms of story and character relationships, but BSG did an amazing job tying everything together.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The miniseries should be watched first. It was filmed as a stand-alone iirc because the Sci-fi channel wanted to see how it did before picking it up as a series. So the miniseries itself shows the destruction of the 12 colonies and is a good introduction to all the characters and what the main conflict is going to be.

The opening episode of the series "33" is ing awesome, but it just throws you right in.
    I can't imagine starting with "33." There'd be zero context, plus the miniseries is arguably one of the best TV pilots of all time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I never watched the original series, so I wouldn't consider myself a diehard fan. The opening miniseries and the first three seasons or so of the new series were really good. It was kind of like an ultra-realistic (for the time) space-based scifi show. It was a breath of fresh air when the only real options were Star Trek, Star Wars, or Babylon 5. As it went on though, I felt like it got weirder and weirder and they just pulled some twists out of their asses. There was a story that during a table read for one of the final episodes, Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) got frustrated and screamed out that she didn't know what the was going on with the story or her character.

All that said, I still think it's worth a shot. The camera work and FX were really impressive and still hold up well IMO. They took a lot of risks and really pushed what could be done on basic cable. And as I said, I'd put the first two or three seasons up there with any great TV shows.

I can't imagine starting with "33." There'd be zero context, plus the miniseries is arguably one of the best TV pilots of all time.
    Watched the miniseries and the first season over the weekend. It's as you guys advertised. Way better than I expected. Especially plot wise.

Agree that watching the mini series helps you quickly understand what's going on. I will say that I didn't think the mini series itself was that great. Just OK to me. But 33 immediately sucks you in. I really didn't have any problems with the CGI.

Really smart writing. With the multiples, they gave themselves so many options going forward to introduce new sub-plots and twists.

Just excellent.

Name
    Jurgen Aspers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Navy Midshipmen

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched the miniseries and the first season over the weekend. It's as you guys advertised. Way better than I expected. Especially plot wise.

Agree that watching the mini series helps you quickly understand what's going on. I will say that I didn't think the mini series itself was that great. Just OK to me. But 33 immediately sucks you in. I really didn't have any problems with the CGI.

Really smart writing. With the multiples, they gave themselves so many options going forward to introduce new sub-plots and twists.

Just excellent.
    I remember thinking at the time when the show was on the air that the CG was actually pretty good. But I think the way the space shots were directed was more what stood out to me. They had a better sense of scale to them than a lot of sci-fi shows at the time.

The show does get "weirder" as you go on, though I think it depends on where your attention was during the first seasons. There are plenty of hints right from the start that the show is not as "grounded" as it might seem. It can be argued that the entire story is in some respects both a celebration and a stern critique on Christianity, so those who are theologically inclined will probably enjoy it more than those with zero interest in that area.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I remember thinking at the time when the show was on the air that the CG was actually pretty good. But I think the way the space shots were directed was more what stood out to me. They had a better sense of scale to them than a lot of sci-fi shows at the time.

The show does get "weirder" as you go on, though I think it depends on where your attention was during the first seasons. There are plenty of hints right from the start that the show is not as "grounded" as it might seem. It can be argued that the entire story is in some respects both a celebration and a stern critique on Christianity, so those who are theologically inclined will probably enjoy it more than those with zero interest in that area.
    I didn't see it at the time but I'm pretty sure the CGI had to be about as good as it got for a TV show. I never caught myself distracted by it at all. Even if it came out today, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

If you want to see something funny, check out the first episode of the original series. After I watched the mini-series, the first thing that ed up was Episode One of the original. I watched about a minute of it but it's ridiculous looking.

And I'm happy with the "weirdness" of the new show. When I watch sci-fi, I hope that it's something that makes me think.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's got great reviews but I'm wondering if it's just because anyone that bothered to watch it was a diehard fan.

I'm wanting to take a break from docs and dark crime shows. Was thinking about giving this a shot.
    Watched the whole thing.

As a hardcore sci fi nerd, it was good. They took some things happening in the wider world and used issues to make good stories.

Combat scenes were spot on, music was good, and it was well acted all around.

The series ending was a total mind ing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The religious aspects were fun, IMO, since they made it a bit more surreal and trippy.

If you liked the battle scenes, try the Expanse. THAT was something good enough for my wife to get into as well, and it has a lot of good science in it. No magic shields, transporters, or other BS. The closest thing they do is invent a drive efficient enough to make inter-solar travel feasible.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    SpursforSix I also appreciated that the CG was always there in service of the story, rather than simply as spectacle. Like you said, it was undistracting.

I haven't seen the original BSG at all, but I've heard it's very "disco."
    RandomGuy I do watch The Expanse, and it's amazing. I completely agree about the battle sequences being in the same vein. Like you, I also appreciate how "down to earth it is" (maybe not the right choice of words, heh). It's easy to imagine that it's what real-life space travel and living would actually be like. I also appreciate that as with BSG, it deals with a lot of social and political issues.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The religious aspects were fun, IMO, since they made it a bit more surreal and trippy.

If you liked the battle scenes, try the Expanse. THAT was something good enough for my wife to get into as well, and it has a lot of good science in it. No magic shields, transporters, or other BS. The closest thing they do is invent a drive efficient enough to make inter-solar travel feasible.
    SpursforSix I also appreciated that the CG was always there in service of the story, rather than simply as spectacle. Like you said, it was undistracting.

I haven't seen the original BSG at all, but I've heard it's very "disco."
    RandomGuy I do watch The Expanse, and it's amazing. I completely agree about the battle sequences being in the same vein. Like you, I also appreciate how "down to earth it is" (maybe not the right choice of words, heh). It's easy to imagine that it's what real-life space travel and living would actually be like. I also appreciate that as with BSG, it deals with a lot of social and political issues.
    I might give the Expanse a shot after this. I only know a hanfful of people that watch it but all say it's great. I'm not sure why I have this aversion to trying out sci-fi series.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I might give the Expanse a shot after this. I only know a hanfful of people that watch it but all say it's great. I'm not sure why I have this aversion to trying out sci-fi series.
    I think The Expanse never gained a broader audience because 1-it is in some respects a "slow starter," and 2-it requires that you think a lot while watching it. It dumps a ton of information on you fast, but it takes a while for the plot to really move along, and I think a lot of people get impatient with that. I also didn't connect to the characters much until fairly late in the first season, but ended up really caring about them. It's a fantastic show if you have a bit of patience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's on Amazon prime if memory serves. IT got canned by Sci-fi channel, but was too good to pass up. Bezos personally intervened.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 05-22-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: double post

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's on Amazon prime if memory serves. IT got canned by Sci-fi channel, but was too good to pass up. Bezos personally intervened.
    That is correct. Last I heard, they expect Season 4 to release sometime this year, but I haven't heard any other news about it.I expect the transition to Prime has probably been a bit rocky.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Finished this over the weekend. A lot of hit/miss as far as the episodes go and was pretty slow at times.
    But still a great series.

7.8/10

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Finished this over the weekend. A lot of hit/miss as far as the episodes go and was pretty slow at times.
    But still a great series.

7.8/10
    Time to watch The Expanse now.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think The Expanse never gained a broader audience because 1-it is in some respects a "slow starter," and 2-it requires that you think a lot while watching it. It dumps a ton of information on you fast, but it takes a while for the plot to really move along, and I think a lot of people get impatient with that. I also didn't connect to the characters much until fairly late in the first season, but ended up really caring about them. It's a fantastic show if you have a bit of patience.
    This is why I took a while to get thru season 1. Five seconds of looking at your phone and you're in lost. Or at least I was.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is why I took a while to get thru season 1. Five seconds of looking at your phone and you're in lost. Or at least I was.
    Five seconds of thinking about the last five seconds I missed and I got lost even further. That went on for the rest of the show too, though it was obviously at its worst in the beginning when they're establishing everything. It's not a show to watch casually in the background. The effort of following all the details is rewarded though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Five seconds of thinking about the last five seconds I missed and I got lost even further. That went on for the rest of the show too, though it was obviously at its worst in the beginning when they're establishing everything. It's not a show to watch casually in the background. The effort of following all the details is rewarded though.
    true
    I finished season 1 and was happy with it. Just been killing off other TV shows before I jump back in

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    true
    I finished season 1 and was happy with it. Just been killing off other TV shows before I jump back in
    It keeps getting better.

I also found I didn't really connect to any of the characters for most of Season 1 for some reason, but cared what happened to them much more after that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Apparently getting rebooted on NBC's new bull stream service
    By the Mr. Robot guy...which makes things interesting..

Thread Information