Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you posters with parents who die and leave them their house and some investments all totally over $1 million (don't think your inheritance won't reach that especially by the time your parents pass - any decent house in Miami NOW is about 1/2 million) won't think Biden's plan is so great when you have to fork over a whopping 40% capital gains tax + Obamacare investment tax. How is Biden's plan being paid for - NO STEP-UP in value on that house your parents paid $50k for - instead prepare to sell that house just to pay the taxes and cry over what little is left of your inheritance.

There will be a mad rush to sell houses that have appreciated and use those $250k exemptions to avoid paying taxes. Except, of course, those seniors who don't know, or can't sell their house - or should I say poor ordinary folks (not the rich ones who have their tax lawyers and accountants to help navigate them around paying these taxes).
    I still think it's pretty great. Now what is your argument?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for the money following the student. Your child is just as en led to an education as any other child. Who says it must be a public school - we should change this kind of thinking. You/your child should get to choose what's best for the child.
    If you're a byproduct of changing that kind of thinking, maybe we shouldn't change it, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're a byproduct of changing that kind of thinking, maybe we shouldn't change it, tbh.
    You think that public education in this country is good? Lol - we must have very different standards of what a good education is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think it's pretty great. Now what is your argument?
    Iirc, you are one of those who subscribe to the Dave Ramsey thinking of paying off for the house - no debt. Biden's plan will be a pariah to your heirs.

If it passes, the way to go is to sell any house with a lot of equity, take that $250k/$500k exemption - use some of what your heirs would have paid Biden in taxes as down payment for another home and invest the rest elsewhere.

You, of course, are en led to your opinion. I am of the opinion that there is hardly anything that government does that is run efficiently or well (or better than what private can do).

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ah yes the old "young people will be paying this off for years" canard that we only hear when there's a deficit under a Democrat presidency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you posters with parents who die and leave them their house and some investments all totally over $1 million (don't think your inheritance won't reach that especially by the time your parents pass - any decent house in Miami NOW is about 1/2 million) won't think Biden's plan is so great when you have to fork over a whopping 40% capital gains tax + Obamacare investment tax. How is Biden's plan being paid for - NO STEP-UP in value on that house your parents paid $50k for - instead prepare to sell that house just to pay the taxes and cry over what little is left of your inheritance.

There will be a mad rush to sell houses that have appreciated and use those $250k exemptions to avoid paying taxes. Except, of course, those seniors who don't know, or can't sell their house - or should I say poor ordinary folks (not the rich ones who have their tax lawyers and accountants to help navigate them around paying these taxes).
    brushing off million dollar inheritances as if everybody gets that

truly an elitist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think that public education in this country is good? Lol - we must have very different standards of what a good education is.
    I think it speaks for itself with every post we make...

Iirc, you are one of those who subscribe to the Dave Ramsey thinking of paying off for the house - no debt. Biden's plan will be a pariah to your heirs.

If it passes, the way to go is to sell any house with a lot of equity, take that $250k/$500k exemption - use some of what your heirs would have paid Biden in taxes as down payment for another home and invest the rest elsewhere.

You, of course, are en led to your opinion. I am of the opinion that there is hardly anything that government does that is run efficiently or well (or better than what private can do).
    No idea who Dave Ramsey is, but sounds like he understands economics. That said, I don't think it has anything to do with your argument.

You argument is that you have nothing, and you inherit a million dollar house, and why should you pay taxes on that?... I mean, it's income. Over half a million is not enough? You had nothing, you suddenly have over half a million and the first thing that comes to your mind is that the glass is half empty?

You must be the life of the party...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    brushing off million dollar inheritances as if everybody gets that

truly an elitist
    Well, you and your wife's own incomes/gains will probably take up more than a quarter of that by themselves by then - not counting the inheritance. And God forbid parent on both sides go in the same year.

This will (edit: likely) apply to you.
    Last edited by rmt; 04-29-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it speaks for itself with every post we make...

No idea who Dave Ramsey is, but sounds like he understands economics. That said, I don't think it has anything to do with your argument.

You argument is that you have nothing, and you inherit a million dollar house, and why should you pay taxes on that?... I mean, it's income. Over half a million is not enough? You had nothing, you suddenly have over half a million and the first thing that comes to your mind is that the glass is half empty?

You must be the life of the party...
    Dave Ramsey is fine for people who have trouble being disciplined with their money - who spend instead of investing. It would make no sense to build up lots of home equity under Biden's plan - especially in this day of LOW interest rates (and high stock market).

You and I have very different opinions on WHOSE money that actually is. You are probably ok with the government taking half of yours, but I'm not. I'm not slaving away so that the government can take half of it and waste it on whatever rubbish pet project they deem important (like $80 billion on more IRS workers - have you ever called the IRS and gotten a straight answer). I'm working hard so that my children can have a better life - I want whatever I leave to go to them - not the government.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely it is.
    If you live in a wealthy area you are more likely to have excellent public schools especially in the advanced classes.

And we are all wealthy right, I mean the gap in wealth is closing, all ships are rising so good news.
    And public Money should not follow kids if they go to private schools who dont allow all the public in that area in. Taxes follow kids. Everyone is en led. And since most states separate kids on the basis of where they live here we are. So solve this. You dont get my tax money for your kid to go to a school as my kid is not allowed into because he is a heathen.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Public education in this country is uneven. It's usually really good in the affluent suburbs, and not so much in the poorer urban and rural areas. I'm actually with you on vouchers, but they should be allocated on a sliding scale that adjusts for family income and the performance of applicable public school.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best thing we could do for public education though, at least in Texas, is drastically reduce the number of school districts we have. The smaller the districts, the more likely you end up with districts that only serve one end of the economic spectrum or the other.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave Ramsey is fine for people who have trouble being disciplined with their money - who spend instead of investing. It would make no sense to build up lots of home equity under Biden's plan - especially in this day of LOW interest rates (and high stock market).

You and I have very different opinions on WHOSE money that actually is. You are probably ok with the government taking half of yours, but I'm not. I'm not slaving away so that the government can take half of it and waste it on whatever rubbish pet project they deem important (like $80 billion on more IRS workers - have you ever called the IRS and gotten a straight answer). I'm working hard so that my children can have a better life - I want whatever I leave to go to them - not the government.
    Waaaaaah $80 billion to go after tax cheats but Trump busts a $2.3 trillion hole in our deficit to give himself and other rich people a tax cut and not a word against

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we end up with a voucher system, we can effectively say goodbye to the public school system as we know it. It'll be more like our current college system which frankly sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff. Parents can really use this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think it is the governments job to educate my kids
    I do not send my kids to public schools
    They are teaching the true history of the country. They do not teach the good and bad things in USA history
    That explains a lot.

You were homeschooled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That explains a lot.

You were homeschooled.
    I did not saw that I went to public school

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given that our military is spending 30 billion on a worthless missile defense system. Where each Interceptor will cost 500 million EACH

I see this pre K thing as a great thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think it is the governments job to educate my kids
    I do not send my kids to public schools
    They are teaching the true history of the country. They do not teach the good and bad things in USA history
    I dont think its our governments job to spend 1 trillion dollars a year on worthless military spending. But here we are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given that our military is spending 30 billion on a worthless missile defense system. Where each Interceptor will cost 500 million EACH

I see this pre K thing as a great thing
    Related article on military asking for more funds as they are unsure of things.

Navy at ‘Unacceptable Risk’ From Missiles, Pentagon Tester Warns.

The U.S. Navy “currently does not have a well-defined strategy or funding” for testing to determine whether radar and self-defense systems on board many of its vessels can stop anti-ship cruise missiles, according to the Pentagon’s acting director of combat testing.

The shortfalls are “creating an unacceptable risk in our ability to evaluate the operational effectiveness and survivability of future ships in combat,” according to Raymond O’Toole, acting director of operational testing and evaluation. His remarks came in a prepared statement for a hearing Wednesday by a Senate Armed Services subcommittee examining the Defense Department’s acquisition system.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-tester-warns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not see that when I went to public school

fify

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That explains a lot.

You were homeschooled.
    Do you mean individualized, personal instruction from someone who loves you most in the world? That homeschooling? Or the disaster of online learning/zoom meetings with public school teachers that's being conflated with schooling at home?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related article on military asking for more funds as they are unsure of things.

Navy at ‘Unacceptable Risk’ From Missiles, Pentagon Tester Warns.

The U.S. Navy “currently does not have a well-defined strategy or funding” for testing to determine whether radar and self-defense systems on board many of its vessels can stop anti-ship cruise missiles, according to the Pentagon’s acting director of combat testing.

The shortfalls are “creating an unacceptable risk in our ability to evaluate the operational effectiveness and survivability of future ships in combat,” according to Raymond O’Toole, acting director of operational testing and evaluation. His remarks came in a prepared statement for a hearing Wednesday by a Senate Armed Services subcommittee examining the Defense Department’s acquisition system.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-tester-warns
    U should look into that 20 billion dollar Interceptor program. Its a joke

They plan to have 31 missiles total. Thats it for 28 billion 10 of them will be used for practice so.we are down to 21. Thats enough to intercept all N Korean missiles EXCEPT unless Kim Jong decides to use multiple warheads. If he uses 1 missile w 5 warheads, it would take ALL our interceptors to take it out. Then Kim Jong can launch his 2nd missile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that money to teach kids how to color outside the lines...

Thread Information