Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think Sa needs to wait 60 days to trade Young.
    they dont. but exstatic said "with other players on our roster"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think that is true…unless it’s a newly signed player like Doug. But if it’s an existing player (outside of a newly signed draft pick which is 30 days rule) Thad can be moved with any other current Spur IIRC Chinook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok good. So Kawhi has become:

Keldon
    Poodle
    Decent future 1st
    Two OKish 2nds
    Thad Young (soon to be flipped)
    Kawhi became: Demar + Jakob + pick, and Kawhi winning a championship a few months later, the rest is bs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. In sixty days, we can combine players from that trade with other players on our roster to make further trades. We’ve got like 19 or 20 players on the roster, and almost all of them have some sort of guarantee. Something has to give. Maybe a Wiggins + pick trade for 3-4 players?

I don’t think that is true…unless it’s a newly signed player like Doug. But if it’s an existing player (outside of a newly signed draft pick which is 30 days rule) Thad can be moved with any other current Spur IIRC Chinook
    The Spurs (in the most restrictive scenario) would be able to combine AFA or Young with other players in order to aggregate salary and complete a deal. That doesn't mean the Spurs can't trade those players players now because a) They don't need to necessarily combined Young with other salary to move him. Like that Phoenix deal is legal and would be even if they included like Eubanks in it, because Drew going out isn't necessary for the Spurs to send out enough salary to get Smith and Saric; b) and more importantly, the Spurs should still be under the cap right now, because they haven't signed Collins, Landale and Forbes as far as I know. That restriction only applies to a team being over the cap at the conclusion of that trade, and basically, the Spurs had to be under the cap to re-up DeMar, and the trade is basically salary-neutral. So they could combine Young right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the explanation - I thought that was the case but good to be clear and hope Sa does send Thad elsewhere ASAP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god. Now we just need Bryn to pull a Morris and we'll be all set tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi became: Demar + Jakob + pick, and Kawhi winning a championship a few months later, the rest is bs.
    Looking even further back, George Hill became all those things (including Keldon and Thad Young) with an end-of-the-first round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should be the Spurs cap-wise after the trade:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?...a71ff078198622

That's enough room to sign Collins, and then Forbes/SOB get the room exception. KBD hasn't accepted the QO as far as I know, but it was more convenient to act as if he did in order to navigate the scenario. Withdrawing that QO gets the Spurs up to $8 Million. S&Ting Young for Collins would preserve it. Cutting Eubanks can get a million more. Still, the Spurs probably aren't looking at any signings at this point. They could reasonably free up enough to offer almost $20 Million to someone, but they probably sign Collins and then just operate as an over-the-cap team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, now that this is done, do folks think there was a better S&T for DeMar out there? Let's assume all the other big signings/trades happened. Did Miami have enough to add to Iggy to entice anyone? Any folks here who wanted Luke Kennard coming back to SA? Part of me feels like it was a miracle Chicago want him, because the market doesn't seem like it broke SA's way in that regard. Even Washington, who seemed like the best backup plan, ended up giving SA something this year. That pick would've probably been the main asset going back in a DeRozan deal, with ballast like Bertans instead of Young/Aminu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls deal is the best one assuming GS had no interest imo. Thad should be a + asset and 2 1sts (if Thad nets one) + 2 seconds and no salary beyond this year? Perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, now that this is done, do folks think there was a better S&T for DeMar out there? Let's assume all the other big signings/trades happened. Did Miami have enough to add to Iggy to entice anyone? Any folks here who wanted Luke Kennard coming back to SA? Part of me feels like it was a miracle Chicago want him, because the market doesn't seem like it broke SA's way in that regard. Even Washington, who seemed like the best backup plan, ended up giving SA something this year. That pick would've probably been the main asset going back in a DeRozan deal, with ballast like Bertans instead of Young/Aminu.
    Iggy is beyond washed at this point so we may have ended up with him plus Herro and a future pick. Which is okay but I'm not big on Herro. Kinda depends imo on what the Spurs can turn Young into. That 1st from Chicago is probably going to be better than anything else we would've gotten from any other interested team since I don't see this Bulls experiment working out at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iggy is beyond washed at this point so we may have ended up with him plus Herro and a future pick. Which is okay but I'm not big on Herro. Kinda depends imo on what the Spurs can turn Young into. That 1st from Chicago is probably going to be better than anything else we would've gotten from any other interested team since I don't see this Bulls experiment working out at all
    Most likely DeRozans time with the bulls won’t have any impact on this pick. It’s 2025 the earliest this conveys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad's not getting a clean first unless the Spurs are both shrewd and lucky. So many contenders are leveraged to the hilt and probably couldn't trade a first for Young even if they wanted to. If some team like NOLA finds themselves competing AND needing a PF, then there's a chance. Otherwise, it'll probably be a team that also wants the Spurs to take on bad salary, or it'll be a guy like Smith, or it'll be seconds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad's not getting a clean first unless the Spurs are both shrewd and lucky. So many contenders are leveraged to the hilt and probably couldn't trade a first for Young even if they wanted to. If some team like NOLA finds themselves competing AND needing a PF, then there's a chance. Otherwise, it'll probably be a team that also wants the Spurs to take on bad salary, or it'll be a guy like Smith, or it'll be seconds.
    Ehh I’m not so sure lots of desperate teams. Teams like POR that are on notice and have very little means of improving especially if they can’t upgrade by using CJ

And honestly I’m fine taking on some salary next year too for another first. It will annoy me more since Sa signed Doug and could have taken on salary more cleanly had they not but it’s not a deal breaker at all for me for a legit first.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ddr trade was great tbh. If we can turn thad into f.e saric and jalen or an expiring + mid-late 1st thats even better. Bulls was high on ddr (gave him a juicy contract) and spurs used it well. Doubt that there was a better offer from another team. Unfortunately other moves this offseason were terrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade could be worse. How long has it been since the Spurs got a 1st round pick in a trade?
    I'd imagine that Thad has a new landing spot from the FO, just needed to finalize the formalities/tampering.
    Is there any chance we want Thad?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehh I’m not so sure lots of desperate teams. Teams like POR that are on notice and have very little means of improving especially if they can’t upgrade by using CJ
    Remember, we're not talking about getting a first at all. I agree that the Spurs could get a first right now, and they'll have a window where they should be able to get one later. Portland would probably consider trading for Thad and indeed might be hitting SA up as we speak, but they don't have the expiring salary to match this, especially not without having the Spurs cut guys to make it happen. That's what I mean by a "clean first". I'm willing to let the team take on salary for a pick/prospect though. I know you're reluctant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's that important to get a 'clean' 1st... if we need to take back a Saric type salary then I'm fine with it. The only reason to need the space would be if a star type player wanted to come to us next offseason and we could easily move a Saric or even a McDermott at that time if we needed too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. The longer T. young remains in the team the least likely a trade happens. If he’s in the team by the trade deadline and the Spurs suck (meaning it’s obvious he'd like to be waived to ring chase), the Spurs are more likely to waive him than him getting traded. No one is trading a first for 3 months of Thad Young. Also there are usually options at that point. There's always someone waived somewhere.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade could be worse. How long has it been since the Spurs got a 1st round pick in a trade?
    I'd imagine that Thad has a new landing spot from the FO, just needed to finalize the formalities/tampering.
    Is there any chance we want Thad?
    This front office still doesn’t appear to be fully in the rebuild mode for some inexplicable reason. I’m betting he doesn’t get traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember, we're not talking about getting a first at all. I agree that the Spurs could get a first right now, and they'll have a window where they should be able to get one later. Portland would probably consider trading for Thad and indeed might be hitting SA up as we speak, but they don't have the expiring salary to match this, especially not without having the Spurs cut guys to make it happen. That's what I mean by a "clean first". I'm willing to let the team take on salary for a pick/prospect though. I know you're reluctant.
    Gotcha - but I’m not reluctant at all. I’m 100% fine with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been a fan of a Wiggins for assets trade.

GSW: Aminu+Thad+ Hutchinson + White/Murray

SAS: Wiggins+Kuminga/Weisman +pick
    We’re not getting Kuminga or a pick. The best we could hope for is something like

Wiggins Wiseman

DJ Aminu Thad Quan

It clears out our roster a bit, and gets us a young big man development project.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re not getting Kuminga or a pick. The best we could hope for is something like

Wiggins Wiseman

DJ Aminu Thad Quan

It clears out our roster a bit, and gets us a young big man development project.
    That's not enough... if that's the best they'd do we should pass..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking even further back, George Hill became all those things (including Keldon and Thad Young) with an end-of-the-first round pick.
    Don’t sleep on those second rounders, either. Three of them. I’m kind of loving the way Tre Jones is looking, and Weiskamp looks like a pretty good pull.
    Last edited by exstatic; 08-11-2021 at 05:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bobby Marks
    BobbyMarks42
    40m
    Post DeRozan trade for Chicago Below the: tax: $18M hard cap: $23M under contract: 10 (includes Bradley and Green) Contract for DeRozan started at $26M ($82M fully guaranteed) Lauri Markkanen QO is $9M

Thread Information