Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18 yr old with good size and athleticism. He DOES have the James harden slow gene tho. He seems like he just takes plays off or stops abruptly. Harden is the only other play I see do that that can also just raise up and dunk and you. Thats not a good thing in my opinion, just pointing it out. The kid IS athletic.

Yea, I'm not buy the forced perspective. The kid does not look like a small PG. Clearly. He has good size. It should allow him to play to the 3 at the very least.

His shooting ability is above average. He still air balls shots. He's 18. His shot at 18 looks better than half the league. I'll take that any day.

I honestly believe if the hornets didn't take bouk, the spurs do. I also believe the hornets talk about primo before bouk. They both fill the same type of player although they play differently. Bouk more of a Westbrook type. Primo more of a harden type.
    They are not anywhere near those players, just how the game plays out.

Spurs draft players that show they grow year to year. Kawhi was a great example. Even though he came in with plenty of room to grow, each step of his path he showed he was constantly growing in his game. Primo has that attribute at just 18. Every step he has shown his game get better. Those are great types to draft. They're proven commodities in growth. Maybe he doesn't get all star level, not many do, but he will grow his game and get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let that man live.....he’s 18 and just starting out in the best league in the world. Let that sink in.....
    The team needs dudes that can play. He aint this year from all appearances. So it’s not so much the pickee but the picker.
    Let that sink in…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon was originally listed in the NBA combine results as a shooting guard and measured 6'4.75" in bare feet and 6'6" in shoes. He's a big body, sure, but he's still undersized for a SF, nevermind a PF... saying that Primo is almost as tall as Keldon (OMG!!!) is essentially the same as bragging that he's only 2-1/2" or 3" shorter than Cam Reddish, & only 2" shorter than Johnny Juzang, & 3/4" taller than Tre Mann! I like the kid and am rooting hard for him, but geez, this first impulse to knowingly fudge/hype the numbers is hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s up with PATFO taking oversized point guards/undersized shooting guards every year?

I guess if you play the numbers game one of them has to be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s up with PATFO taking oversized point guards/undersized shooting guards every year?

Yeah, in simpler terms that is what they're doing.

Looking for a high - level PG, SG or combo, which they seemingly haven't found yet.

I don't have the same level of anger as draft night (about the pick), finding another elite level talent to pair with them (at a different position of need) must happen too.

They clearly saw things that were missed by many - myself included - with their advanced data and more thorough game tape(s) (high school, AAU, etc.).

Had he been a year older and given a bigger role at Alabama, then he could've conceivably been outside of their draft range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What's wrong with oversized point guards?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon was originally listed in the NBA combine results as a shooting guard and measured 6'4.75" in bare feet and 6'6" in shoes. He's a big body, sure, but he's still undersized for a SF, nevermind a PF... saying that Primo is almost as tall as Keldon (OMG!!!) is essentially the same as bragging that he's only 2-1/2" or 3" shorter than Cam Reddish, & only 2" shorter than Johnny Juzang, & 3/4" taller than Tre Mann! I like the kid and am rooting hard for him, but geez, this first impulse to knowingly fudge/hype the numbers is hilarious.
    First, stop being so triggered by everything I post and then indirectly responding to me like a pussy

second, I literally addressed that all things point to Primo being 6’5”, so no one is ing with the numbers.

third, again, Johnson looks as big as Draymond who has been defending larger guys for a long time now. Whether people want to accept it or not, the league is being overrun now with players who were once thought to be too small for specific positions. It’s been two years since Johnson’s combine measurements were taken, and he’s said himself he’s grown since his listed height. Whether that’s true or not, I dont know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

triggered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hype men be hyping

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hype men be hyping
    posting tweets isn’t hyping

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a lefty, with advanced dribbling ISO moves, prominent perimeter shooter with a great stroke from 3, not really athletic by NBA standards but has the ability to play at his own pace undisrupted, is also a crafty passer, and has good size and build for a shooting guard, and projects to be a score-first player.....

Hmm, I'm really struggling to find a comp for him, tbh. Hope the Spurs don't cheap out on his future contracts
    all true...but also true: bad decision making; poor handles in traffic; turnover prone while running point.

those are not insignificant hurdles to overcome even with all the pluses you mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18 yr old with good size and athleticism. He DOES have the James harden slow gene tho. He seems like he just takes plays off or stops abruptly. Harden is the only other play I see do that that can also just raise up and dunk and you. Thats not a good thing in my opinion, just pointing it out. The kid IS athletic.

Yea, I'm not buy the forced perspective. The kid does not look like a small PG. Clearly. He has good size. It should allow him to play to the 3 at the very least.

His shooting ability is above average. He still air balls shots. He's 18. His shot at 18 looks better than half the league. I'll take that any day.

I honestly believe if the hornets didn't take bouk, the spurs do. I also believe the hornets talk about primo before bouk. They both fill the same type of player although they play differently. Bouk more of a Westbrook type. Primo more of a harden type.
    They are not anywhere near those players, just how the game plays out.

Spurs draft players that show they grow year to year. Kawhi was a great example. Even though he came in with plenty of room to grow, each step of his path he showed he was constantly growing in his game. Primo has that attribute at just 18. Every step he has shown his game get better. Those are great types to draft. They're proven commodities in growth. Maybe he doesn't get all star level, not many do, but he will grow his game and get better.
    Good thoughts. I honestly don't think the Spurs would have taken Bouknight. Not only can he not shoot from deep, he doesn't seem to be a cultural fit. I still imagine a scenario where the Spurs were tabbing Primo and expected Sengun to go earlier, but might have expected belatedly Primo to get picked by the Hornets only to see him fall. There might have been some very intense debate over five minutes before they opted to stick with the Alabama guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all true...but also true: bad decision making; poor handles in traffic; turnover prone while running point.

those are not insignificant hurdles to overcome even with all the pluses you mentioned.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him clean much of that stuff up pretty quickly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's an 18 - year old, "project" that wasn't given the primary ballhandling nor playmaking duties in his lone season in college.

Of course he has flaws to iron - some of which he never will - but the offensive upside is there and evident.

The situation is similar to when Phoenix picked Devin Booker out of Kentucky, even with a limited role & tape that hid some of his skills, or when Portland selected Anfernee Simons (age, inexperience) straight out of high school.

Jury is still out on Simons, but Booker has turned into an all-star/star level guard.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-14-2021 at 02:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's an 18 - year old, "project" that wasn't given the primary ballhandling nor playmaking duties in his lone season in college.

Of course he has flaws to iron - some of which he never will - but the offensive upside is there and evident.

The situation is similar to when Phoenix picked Devin Booker out of Kentucky, even with a limited role & tape that hid some of his skills, or when Portland selected Anfernee Simons (age, inexperience) straight out of high school.

Jury is still out on Simons, but Booker has turned into an all-star/star level guard.
    Booker was given the green light... Pop will with Primo to the point where we will be bashing him like we currently do to Lonnie and Luka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, stop being so triggered by everything I post and then indirectly responding to me like a pussy

second, I literally addressed that all things point to Primo being 6’5”, so no one is ing with the numbers.

third, again, Johnson looks as big as Draymond who has been defending larger guys for a long time now. Whether people want to accept it or not, the league is being overrun now with players who were once thought to be too small for specific positions. It’s been two years since Johnson’s combine measurements were taken, and he’s said himself he’s grown since his listed height. Whether that’s true or not, I dont know.

Draymond is clearly bigger though in pretty much all combine measurements though. No one would say Draymond is a 3 but Keldon is clearly a tweener 3/4. Biggest difference is that Draymond has a 7’ 1.25” wingspan. Dude is a beast. If Keldon just had a wingspan closer to 7’ he would be a nice 4. Keldon can partner with another forward and share 3/4 duties but when 3 guards are on the floor and Keldon is our 4, we look pretty pitiful defending the paint and rebounding tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draymond is clearly bigger though in pretty much all combine measurements though. No one would say Draymond is a 3 but Keldon is clearly a tweener 3/4. Biggest difference is that Draymond has a 7’ 1.25” wingspan. Dude is a beast. If Keldon just had a wingspan closer to 7’ he would be a nice 4. Keldon can partner with another forward and share 3/4 duties but when 3 guards are on the floor and Keldon is our 4, we look pretty pitiful defending the paint and rebounding tbh.
    Yeah, KJ will do well against other midget lineups, but we're set to get killed on the boards this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m of the opinion that standing reach is more important than wingspan when you’re playing as a big, and Draymond’s SR is 1” greater than Keldon’s (which probably allows him to play C whereas Keldon can’t).

and I flat out disagree that our issue last season was defending the paint. Rebounds, sure. Interior defense? No. Perimeter defense is where the team struggled most. Gay, Mills, DeMar were huge contributors to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker was given the green light... Pop will with Primo to the point where we will be bashing him like we currently do to Lonnie and Luka
    So how do you explain Tony Parker (a literal teenager handed the keys to a dynasty)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m of the opinion that standing reach is more important than wingspan when you’re playing as a big, and Draymond’s SR is 1” greater than Keldon’s (which probably allows him to play C whereas Keldon can’t).

and I flat out disagree that our issue last season was defending the paint. Rebounds, sure. Interior defense? No. Perimeter defense is where the team struggled most. Gay, Mills, DeMar were huge contributors to that.
    Draymond gets help from the best offensive weapons in today’s NBA. Rebounding is a huge part of defending the paint. Young guys like Aminu and Young would’ve been a great partner. We will have to do with McDermott I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Simmons was mostly the same player at LSU that he is now. He has no work ethic nor will to improve. Booker has worked hard and the difference is evident. Primo is mapped well into the Booker territory of the two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thoughts. I honestly don't think the Spurs would have taken Bouknight. Not only can he not shoot from deep, he doesn't seem to be a cultural fit. I still imagine a scenario where the Spurs were tabbing Primo and expected Sengun to go earlier, but might have expected belatedly Primo to get picked by the Hornets only to see him fall. There might have been some very intense debate over five minutes before they opted to stick with the Alabama guard.
    Maybe they still stay with primo if they're both there. I had a strong feeling they were definitely going guard that could get their own buckets and distribute. Our young guys really struggle to consistently get their own shot or call their own number which may be the veteran presence playing in as well.
    Bouk seemed like the pick right before he wasn't an option anymore. I think bouk showed he can be that next level scorer compared to others in the draft. He seems like a good candidate to be able to develop that outside shot due to his inside game. Especially with a development team like the spurs.

The culture thing definitely gave Primo an advantage as you said. They love their culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons was mostly the same player at LSU that he is now. He has no work ethic nor will to improve. Booker has worked hard and the difference is evident. Primo is mapped well into the Booker territory of the two.
    Simmons couldn't even get his LSU team an at-large NCAA berth. That's a pretty low bar and he didn't seem particularly concerned about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, not Ben Simmons, but Anfernee Simons out of IMG Academy (pretty much preps - to - pros).

He was 19 - years old when drafted, but pretty much straight out of high school.

Primo is a similar possible high upside project, yet our kid is a year younger (coming into the league) and has a year of college experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how do you explain Tony Parker (a literal teenager handed the keys to a dynasty)?
    It wasn’t really that bad if you’re passing the ball to future HOFers Timmy, DRob and Manu.

Thread Information