My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...bruary-1-2020/

tl;dr: From embarrassment to blowout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ball denial defense with Poeltl in the middle. It worked. Our backcourt was hounding. The game became faster for us. White and Murray hit their open shots. This is what a DD team can look like. It's fun and they can win with medocire players. Now we just need to find takers for Gay and Carroll, and of course, keep Forbes glued to the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge and poeltl should start together. Take the pressure off of him having to bang downlow and he obviously prefers having backup beside him like Anthony Davis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I quit watching at halftime... it was unwatchable to me (2nd Qtr). was surprised late at night when I checked the final score.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Coach should never be afraid to bench players. Aldridge should play around 26/28 minutes per game. His playing time should be reduced the moment he doesn’t bring his A-game in the first quarter.
    Rudy Gay and Bryn should receive the same treatment.
    Pop should sub Forbes the moment he misses a defensive assignment or makes someone miss the rotation to help him.
    Inspired defense is the beginning of great offense and that is not possible with both Aldridge and Forbes playing so many minutes. Same for Rudy...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, as always. Solid, top to bottom. I don't think we've witnessed the Spurs play defense like that this season. We'll see what happens going forward, but for that one half they were actually fun to watch again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ball denial defense with Poeltl in the middle. It worked. Our backcourt was hounding. The game became faster for us. White and Murray hit their open shots. This is what a DD team can look like. It's fun and they can win with medocire players. Now we just need to find takers for Gay and Carroll, and of course, keep Forbes glued to the bench.
    Imagine having guys like keldon instead of bryck.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I quit watching at halftime... it was unwatchable to me (2nd Qtr). was surprised late at night when I checked the final score.
    Than you missed the Birth of Poeltl morphing into Manu Ginobilli, at least for a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. Happy to see Pop playing Murray/White when he needed stops and it worked to perfection. There should be a column for charge, or where is that recorded? Because White has that perfected to a Manu-esque level it’s contagious, even Poeltl doing. I couldn’t see Forbes doing that for obvious reason. Lyles played perfectly and he adds another level to Spurs if he’s aggressive like that. Poeltl’s game was awesome. Poeltl/White/Murray dictated the defensive stops. I was glad Pop deployed defense instead of trying to outscore to erase the lead. Very Spurs like. Gay, on the other hand, has been disappointing me lately. He’s like dragging himself out there. I hope he snaps out of it. Overall, very satisfying win because it was a defensive stops that won them the game.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks I missed it!!! Sounded like a great game. Had a few minutes to tune in while they were getting whooped, but chose family time instead. Now kinda rethinking that in hindsight thanks for the grades!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 9:22 left in the third, the Spurs were down 19 points, 70-51. Thankfully, that’s when the good guys woke up.
    Should be that is when forbes was subbed out. You mentioned it in his grad but in the general thread it was not mentioned.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp
    Poeltl's improved play brings a likely departure in the offseason. Really hope the Spurs resign him. I was dissapointed they didnt before the season started.
    Timvp,
    How many times do u think you have criticized Murray's running of the offense? 35 games over/under?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You missed the best half of Spurs basketball all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You missed the best half of Spurs basketball all season.
    It shouldn’t really have gone to that. This team has tendency to play down to compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that happening. That second quarter was 'cliff-jumping approved' that's for sure.

Great grades. This was a very important game considering our tough RRT ahead. The second half of this game was downright fun to watch and hopefully will be a sign of things to come. It's true the Forbes benching was a big part of the turnaround. Hopefully LMA was not 100% and will be ready for Monday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poertl plays better with White running the offense, especially the PNR. Time to elevate the defense by playing White, Murray, Walker Poertl together, sprinkling in Mills and LMA and DDR as needed. This team can be very solid on defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs offense flows so much better when Aldridge isn't on the floor.

No surprise that the Spurs turnaround happened with both Aldridge and Forbes were riding the pine.

Thread Information