Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, a lot of folks salivate over what Memphis did, and they only fully tanked one year. They've basically been a win-now club for a decade and seem not to be too hurt by them waiting or sitting on the treadmill. Would I trade three years of competing for the playoffs for tanking years on the hope they draft stars? No. Obviously no. Not a single poster has really shown that tanking is a reliable way to build a contender anyway, let alone the most reliable way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the people counting on $50 million in capspace ignoring the huge risk of a Patty Mills charity deal for big money? Like a 3/30 to 'show the young ones how it's done' while he's overplayed and ineffective?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So forget what the standings or even point differential (in some cases) say: How many teams are they really better than? Probably five, with only the first not tanking (higher ceiling offensive players and a likely higher incoming pick could change that though): Cavaliers, Magic, Pistons, Thunder, Rockets.

People will debate some combination of Wizards, Pacers, Hornets, Bulls, Raptors, Warriors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Kings, Timberwolves, but at the very least they all have higher ceilings.
    I'm guessing not too many of the optimists will even answer the bolded.

FWIW, I think the Spurs biggest and addressable issue is coaching. Father Time is undefeated and the amateur hour no experience assistants can't patch up the holes.

Well coached they have a quite a bit of untapped potential as far as grinding out some wins and being a bigger threat to make the playoffs. But it would mean not playing guys who are automatic runs for the other team while also not doing the headgame shuffle with the young players. Typically that's meant that as soon as a player succeeds with a massive 'break-out' game, the powers that be praise them in the postgame, then bury them for a week or two to mess with their heads and teach them a lesson.

Head messed with, confidence deflated, swag swiped.

Because without superstars like the big 3 to be dependable difference makers, they have to win a the margins. Before they could shoot themselves in the foot and do all kinds of dumb stuff but still have a good chance to win because Duncan or Manu could still pull it out. Now they don't have that so the decision making becomes much more key and crippling when poor decisions are made.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing not too many of the optimists will even answer the bolded.

FWIW, I think the Spurs biggest and addressable issue is coaching. Father Time is undefeated and the amateur hour no experience assistants can't patch up the holes.

Well coached they have a quite a bit of untapped potential as far as grinding out some wins and being a bigger threat to make the playoffs. But it would mean not playing guys who are automatic runs for the other team while also not doing the headgame shuffle with the young players. Typically that's meant that as soon as a player succeeds with a massive 'break-out' game, the powers that be praise them in the postgame, then bury them for a week or two to mess with their heads and teach them a lesson.

Head messed with, confidence deflated, swag swiped.

Because without superstars like the big 3 to be dependable difference makers, they have to win a the margins. Before they could shoot themselves in the foot and do all kinds of dumb stuff but still have a good chance to win because Duncan or Manu could still pull it out. Now they don't have that so the decision making becomes much more key and crippling when poor decisions are made.
    I have been playing fantasy basketball for a while. These "break-out games" happen quit a lot and don't mean anything. Players don't jump rotations because of 1 good game not even a weeks worth of good production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP called the Duncan-Manu-TP Spurs 'gutless worms' https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho....php?t=177840&

Now he's crying they're not contenders a couple of years after 3 hall of famers retired. Imagine what he and the like would be saying in year 3 of being the Timberwolves.

As for using the cap space for absorbing dead money and picks - take a look at the actual contracts - there are very few players that teams would dump. If the Spurs decide to blow it up their best assets will be their own picks, not the late 1sts they'd acquire from other teams.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are on the trajectory of being the Kemba Walker Hornets. They will keep trying every year to win with what they have and add mediocre free agents to the roster in hopes things will get better. They will get the same results every year which is either barely getting in as a 8th seed or missing barely as a 10 or 11th seed. Then get a useless lottery pick that will result in just a decent to solid player but not a star. We will see this pattern for a while.
    We are closer to UTA competency in the Draft / Player Development than CHA. Kemba / Batum making max money is not comparable to DJ / White making sixth man money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been playing fantasy basketball for a while. These "break-out games" happen quit a lot and don't mean anything. Players don't jump rotations because of 1 good game not even a weeks worth of good production.
    I put break-out in quotes on purpose. The phrase is tossed around like it means supers om, that's not what I'm using it for, or rather, I'm pointing out that good production can be perceived as 'break-out'.

And it's not as simple as jumping rotations. I mean players who play a small role for a few games, then have their great game, then they disappear from the small role they had before the big game. At least that's sure what it feels like.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's a realistic offseason for the Spurs?

Here's one, and I wonder how people would rank that team in the west.

Lose DeRozan, Gay and Lyles.

Sign Markkanen, re-sign Mills and Dieng for a total of $40 million. Maybe Bates-Diop fits in that number. Keep $10 million free to poke around the edges.

Draft a guy who won't play the first year.

Is that team that compe ive in the West?

Poeltl-Markannen-Johnson-White-Murray
    with
    Dieng, Samanic, Vassell, Walker, Mills

and Eubanks, Draft pick, and Tre Jones rounding out the active roster

I don't know if that team is much better at all really

Then there won't be much more caproom to be had in the years after.

Just one scenario, but things can go awry. This front office will still be paying DeMarre Carroll 1.2 million next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

with

Better? This is a 20 win team.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sign Markkanen, re-sign Mills and Dieng for a total of $40 million. Maybe Bates-Diop fits in that number. Keep $10 million free to poke around the edges.

with

Just one scenario, but things can go awry. This front office will still be paying DeMarre Carroll 1.2 million next season.

It's better in the sense that we won't needlessly win just enough games to lose a play-in or get swept in a first round and therefore we would draft somewhere at 1 to 6 rather than 11 or 12.

That would be a step in the right direction for the long term, and in the short term, that team would be more interesting to watch than the Derozan-Mills-Gay triumvirate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy

Miserable during the Duncan years. Now miserable based on his own miserable outlook.

@ "nothing can be considered a positive because I think everything will end up bad"
    He always has been and always will be a whining, miserable crybaby.

Any jackass, uh, I mean "fan" that refers to Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili as 'gutless worms' should look for another team or sport to follow.

And especially when they're a pompous, blowhard that thinks they're always right, but has no professional experience or aspirations to back it up.

My bad, I'm being a stupid, vanilla, 'apologist' to the only coach, front - office & (former) players to bring championships to this small market team.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 05-17-2021 at 01:53 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP called the Duncan-Manu-TP Spurs 'gutless worms' https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho....php?t=177840&

Now he's crying they're not contenders a couple of years after 3 hall of famers retired. Imagine what he and the like would be saying in year 3 of being the Timberwolves.

As for using the cap space for absorbing dead money and picks - take a look at the actual contracts - there are very few players that teams would dump. If the Spurs decide to blow it up their best assets will be their own picks, not the late 1sts they'd acquire from other teams.
    Ding ding ding ding ding......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only someone that needs to always prove "he's right" needs to make such a ridiculous thread.

The Spurs could end up a 'treadmill team,' have a bottoming out season helping snag top 5 pick or countless other situations.

The future is unknown and we're all just spectators, period. I'm happy that we were blessed to see greatness in Tim Duncan, David Robinson and to lesser (but still great) extents in Tony & Manu.

Now, we'll see if they can reach those heights again or if they'll end up like the countless middling, small market organizations in the NBA.

It took the Golden State Warriors 40 years to reach the mountain top again after 1975, so it could be a very, very long wait.

Gonna be a lot of whining, ing and making of dumb threads about how 'the Spurs have the worst present/future amongst _____."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gutless worm doing gutless work...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, a lot of folks salivate over what Memphis did, and they only fully tanked one year. They've basically been a win-now club for a decade and seem not to be too hurt by them waiting or sitting on the treadmill. Would I trade three years of competing for the playoffs for tanking years on the hope they draft stars? No. Obviously no. Not a single poster has really shown that tanking is a reliable way to build a contender anyway, let alone the most reliable way.
    The Spurs tanked when they got Duncan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs tanked when they got Duncan.
    I don't think the Spurs tanked to get Duncan, they just had crazy injuries. Their odds weren't even great. It's this public perception that's grabbed hold and been perpetuated by the national media, none of whom followed what was happening with the team that year.

The easiest tell for me that they weren't tanking?

Dominique Wilkins

They didn't buy him out to go ring chase, even though there were rumors at the time. And they didn't bench him like OKC with Horford. When he was healthy he played as much as an antique could and he was the only scorer left, he even played 34 minutes in the final game of the year.

If they had been tanking for real, they would have just cut Dominique, because without him they were beyond terrible. He even had 9 games over 40 minutes, where the Spurs went 4-5, but the guy turned 37 during the year and with a torn Achilles in his history and couldn't do it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Learning two things from this thread:

1) People can see the future. I'd like my fortune told, please.

2) People would prefer to stay in an unhappy situation than do something about it. Here's an analogy: How many people here have a spouse? Do they hurt you? Do you communicate that to them? Should you maybe consider counseling? It's obvious your marriage is on the rocks, maybe do something about it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mavs tanked hard for a year to get Doncic.

I don’t argue with anyone here it’s a waste of my time tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

with

This is a realistic scenario for them if they let Derozan go for nothing. It doesn’t look good without one or two guys making a leap from where they are. The Spurs don’t operate this way IMO. They are more likely to sign someone to keep that pressure off them which makes me think they want to sign Derozan back and maybe add someone like Marakkanen and call it an off-season after adding some guys on the margins (their pick, some prospects for the 2-way). I’d hope some of those guys are shooters.

The play-in has actually concealed that in a normal situation the team would have been eliminated from the playoffs already and that compe ive basketball wouldn’t be the goal the past few games or so of their season anyways.

That makes me think the NBA will keep the playin, to keep the hope of these teams on the fringes alive, but that’s an entirely different point/subject.

The question is whether Derozan wants to come back. I don’t think he does but this is speculation based simply on the assumption that he (like Aldridge) would like to finish his career in a more compe ive team or at least a team that he perceives to be in a better situation (or location).
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-17-2021 at 06:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Learning two things from this thread:

1) People can see the future. I'd like my fortune told, please.

2) People would prefer to stay in an unhappy situation than do something about it. Here's an analogy: How many people here have a spouse? Do they hurt you? Do you communicate that to them? Should you maybe consider counseling? It's obvious your marriage is on the rocks, maybe do something about it...
    2 is a very common psychological phenomenon: people almost always choose unhappiness over uncertainty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, if the Spurs sign Markkanen, you’ll officially see me go full on HAM objective next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Hinkie had a plan but then Colangelo and after him Elton Brand(lol) came in and ed everything up and threw away whatever asset he had ac ulated. I would go the Sam Hinkie route and i don't care about winning culture and bs like that. Winning culture can be built with the right coaching staff and top tier talent which we don't have right now, we don't even have a tier below that, i take that back, we have but they either can't shoot for and he's the pg(bad combination) or the other one who's injury prone af.
    Yes we are not in a bad position asset- wise but it doesn't matter what position you are in if you can't produce results based on the position you're in. This season with the pandemic was the perfect season to go full tank mode because it wouldn't affect your tickets sales anyway but no, not us, not Pop who i love very much. Very bad decision by Pop the POBO not to tank this season.
    Give me the Hinkie route, it's that simple. Two years all out tank is what we need and clever asset management.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, if the Spurs sign Markkanen, you’ll officially see me go full on HAM objective next season.
    I started on this apathetic path with the re-signing of Gasol, and it's been worse with the Spurs FO moves since then tbh, because they then did like sign Cunningham, Lyles, and Demarre Carroll. Lyles was a waste of $ and him being on the roster this season makes no difference, could have just as easily been waived like Carroll. Carroll obviously was worse because he didn't give them any production.

Spurs FO moves can't be just stand pat and hope for the best... Markkanen seems like a realistic target for them though who knows. The leak could have come from his own agent.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-17-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: sintaxis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I started on this apathetic path with the re-signing of Gasol, and it's been worse with the Spurs FO moves since then tbh, because they then did like sign Cunningham, Lyles, and Demarre Carroll. Lyles was a waste of $ and him being on the roster this season makes no difference, could have just as easily been waived like Carroll. Carroll obviously was worse because he didn't give them any production.

Spurs FO moves can't be just stand pat and hope for the best... Markkanen seems like a realistic target for them though who knows. The leak could have come from his own agent.
    He’s meh on offense, and ing terrible on defense. I’d rather trade for Al Horford. At least he’s a + on both O and D, and he shoots avout the same from beyond the arc.

Thread Information