My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-76ers-grades-53/

It's cool how Branham can make scoring look so easy. He's 19 with some old man savviness in his game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to be a homer and follow up my belief that Sochan could be a top 3-4 pick in this last draft with saying that Branham should have been a lottery pick, even top 10.

Maybe that's not a huge statement. While he has deficiencies, he's clearly game to learn and coachable. He's making strides on defense. He's not a natural three-point shooter yet... But what he's good at, he's superb for a 19 year-old rookie. He adores the high paint area. He has a crazy sense of space and how to get his shot off against good defenders. And when he's driving to the hoop, he's pretty dang good at getting his shot over rim protectors. Seriously skilled for such a young guy.

Barlow looked much better than I expected. Really want to see more. He's a young prospect, but he moved well and had a great at ude.

Wesley has growing pains. He's smaller than I wished he was. He finally showed his quickness after his injury. He wasn't impacting the game, then coughed the ball up horribly. Still gets in trouble near the basket, but he has good vision. Considering how far his litter mates have come, I look forward to the next few months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing while getting the young guys precious NBA experience to develop their games, and getting the 2nd worst slot tonight. Things couldn’t be better for our rebuilding team. 32 team assists. They are sharing the ball and trusting each other, building chemistry. Branham is such a natural scorer, he breezes to a new career high. Easily this kid can score to 30 points any given night if he continues his trajectory, ala Beal. He just knows how to score, and again thriving when expected to do so. He’s done it in college, and he can do it in the NBA again if he continues to develop. I hope he continues being aggressive as a sixth man when Tre is back because would need his production moving forward without Vassell in the lineup. I know he’s not a real PG but who cares? The team has 32 assists. Who says this team needs a a real PG? At one point I see KBD bringing down the ball. Pop is creating a team of ball handlers, sharing… umm Beautiful Game?

Collins is being used as a speed bump. That’s funny. But hey the guy continues to fight. Fabricio, Tiago they’re also not as athletic. But they can depend and they pass the ball well. Collins had 7 rebounds and 3 assists. His 5 points could be higher, but he’s out there defending, rebounding and passing the ball.

Blake has that speed and can get to his spot and at times showed a glimpse of that NBA player we look for an explosive guard. I’m not doubting that he’ll get there given the opportunity. Just keep sending him out there to tweak his mistakes. It’s going to be a process. By the end of the season, I think the Spurs 3 picks will have valuable 1st season given the opportunity. Losing but developing in their way to a high draft pick. Great stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as Keldon throws his body around in drives to the basket, I keep thinking he ought to use some of that bullying to get more rebounds. He's off by about 50% on his career stats on rebounds.

Shooting percentages for 2 and 3 pt are down this season as well. Perhaps that can be accounted for by increased attention to him as our leading scorer and "go-to" guy by opposing defenses.

If this is our best player, it's no wonder we are next to last in the league. I feel sorry for POp and the other coaches, but what can they do? I think it is a miracle that they keep their guys playing hard right up to the end in every game, even when they are far behind. It made me laugh when the Sixers had to bring their starters in with over 5 minutes to go because the Spurs bench had brought them to within 8 points down by sheer hustle, even with some atrocious mistakes by youngsters like Blake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's cool how Branham can make scoring look so easy. He's 19 with some old man savviness in his game
    Agreed. And he mostly remains calm which I enjoy much more than the Westbrick behavior by Keldon ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. I got distracted and missed the second half, but want to watch the bench give them a run for their money. We're #2!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. And he mostly remains calm which I enjoy much more than the Westbrick behavior by Keldon ...
    Steve “Smitty” Smith is bigger but I get the vibes, not the most explosive athlete but can quietly torch his opponent with 30 pts with his savvy plays. B-but Smith was a shooting guard? Who cares? In Pop’s Beautiful Game, everybody’s a facilitator, motion offense, sharing the ball. And if Malaki can continue his trajectory, and if he remains in the starting line-up where he thrives, he can take the pressure off Poeltl (if not traded) scoring high teens. He, Vassell (when he comes back), Keldon can open up the lanes for Sochan/Keldon to operate. Sochan can share PG roles at times. I know Tre will not be demoted to backup just yet for what he’s done for the team. But again, I expect Malaki to start as PG by mid-next year, unless Spurs draft Scoot. Still, it’s a good problem for Pop. As many ballhandlers who can facilitate will make Spurs a dynamic team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as Keldon throws his body around in drives to the basket, I keep thinking he ought to use some of that bullying to get more rebounds. He's off by about 50% on his career stats on rebounds.

Shooting percentages for 2 and 3 pt are down this season as well. Perhaps that can be accounted for by increased attention to him as our leading scorer and "go-to" guy by opposing defenses.

If this is our best player, it's no wonder we are next to last in the league. I feel sorry for POp and the other coaches, but what can they do? I think it is a miracle that they keep their guys playing hard right up to the end in every game, even when they are far behind. It made me laugh when the Sixers had to bring their starters in with over 5 minutes to go because the Spurs bench had brought them to within 8 points down by sheer hustle, even with some atrocious mistakes by youngsters like Blake.
    His rebound rate is 8.2% and down from 10.5% for his career, so not really down 50%. He’s being asked to do different things than in year’s past so some parts of his game will be impacted as a result.

Usage rate is 28.0% vs. 20.2% for his career before this, so that’s a MASSIVE step up in how much of burden he is shouldering. You’d expect his efficiency to go down as a result. He shouldn’t be a 28% USG player long term. Part of growing pains with a young tanking team.

His usage rate is 32nd in the league and ahead of guys like Westbrick, Kawhi, Beal, Lavine, Porzingis, McCollom, Jokic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AM I wrong that im seeing alot of Joe Johnson in Branham??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AM I wrong that im seeing alot of Joe Johnson in Branham??
    Joe Johnson was a big body. 6’6ish 230-240 but they have some aspects to their game that are comparable I agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His rebound rate is 8.2% and down from 10.5% for his career, so not really down 50%. He’s being asked to do different things than in year’s past so some parts of his game will be impacted as a result.

Usage rate is 28.0% vs. 20.2% for his career before this, so that’s a MASSIVE step up in how much of burden he is shouldering. You’d expect his efficiency to go down as a result. He shouldn’t be a 28% USG player long term. Part of growing pains with a young tanking team.

His usage rate is 32nd in the league and ahead of guys like Westbrick, Kawhi, Beal, Lavine, Porzingis, McCollom, Jokic
    I guess it depends on the website where you get the info. I used the NBA and the Basketball reference. I think the NBA shows the biggest drop off. Down to 3# from about 6#. Rebounding problem is not all his fault, however, as we are 29th in the league at the moment. I was surprised at how few rebounds a game really make a difference in the standings for each team.

I think his usage rate is a problem because he often seems to be motivated more by gross scoring stats than anything else. If he isn't get his average, he doesn't like to give up the ball to some other player. Back to his first year of simply trying to bull his way into the lane. Sometimes it works and he gets his points, but at what cost to the team?

I hope Vassell comes back soon as it might lift some of the scoring burden off on Keldon.
    Last edited by wildbill2u; 02-04-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Thread Information