Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the point of contracts if any player can just force a trade whenever they'd like? I mean I guess it goes both ways as teams can also trade players without warning or notice but this is bad for the NBA and just bad for sports in general. Harden is like the 4th or 5th star player to force a trade these past few years, tf is that all about?
    got ass Leonard starting all this . How is this league supposed to function if everyone is just a farm team for the Lakers and Nets? Back when star players had to wait for free agency it was still a risk to big market teams to have to clear space and hope they could sign them. Worked well for the Lakers going after LeBron but no so much the Knicks for example. But now you sign a guy to a contract and if he doesn't live up to it you're stuck with him, if he does live up to it he forces his way to a bigger market? Bull . I see no way team owners aren't going to force NFL style contracts on the league if star players aren't going to live up to their contracts. Leonard, George, Davis, Westbrook, Harden all forcing their way out while paid handsomely on multi-year deals is ridiculous. If players want to keep their options open do like Jordan did and sign one year deals, but having effective free agency while still getting guaranteed long term money is bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to shed a tear when NBA players have to say bye bye to their guaranteed contracts in the next CBA and they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got ass Leonard starting all this . How is this league supposed to function if everyone is just a farm team for the Lakers and Nets? Back when star players had to wait for free agency it was still a risk to big market teams to have to clear space and hope they could sign them. Worked well for the Lakers going after LeBron but no so much the Knicks for example. But now you sign a guy to a contract and if he doesn't live up to it you're stuck with him, if he does live up to it he forces his way to a bigger market? Bull . I see no way team owners aren't going to force NFL style contracts on the league if star players aren't going to live up to their contracts. Leonard, George, Davis, Westbrook, Harden all forcing their way out while paid handsomely on multi-year deals is ridiculous. If players want to keep their options open do like Jordan did and sign one year deals, but having effective free agency while still getting guaranteed long term money is bull .
    Great post tbh and pretty much agree with everything you've said. I don't see the current contract situations being sustainable so we'll see what happens. Something has to be done imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget Chris Paul.

He's the president of the NBPA and knew he could use that influence to secure that bag.

Once he got it, he was disgruntled with the Clippers then forced his way out of Houston.

He helped write the card for the rest of the players, then signed it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He told me you're an idiot.
    Even idiot is too nice of a word for that imbecile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget Chris Paul.

He's the president of the NBPA and knew he could use that influence to secure that bag.

Once he got it, he was disgruntled with the Clippers then forced his way out of Houston.

He helped write the card for the rest of the players, then signed it.
    I don't have a problem with what Paul did. He went and told the Clippers trade him or he was going to decline his option and become a free agent and then he got his big long term deal the next summer from Houston. That's different from players on multiyear deals forcing their way out of town after securing the commitment. I also have no problem with Paul George telling the Pacers he was going to leave in free agency in a year so they might explore trading him to keep from losing him for nothing. But him forcing a trade out of OKC after only one year of a huge five year deal was beyond chicken .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the first one I remember was that asshat Eric Gordon, after he was flipped to NO as part of the CP3 trade. Now, he has to put up with another ‘him’ destroying his current team. Karma, .

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said.

At the very least, I expect another 1-year reduction in the maximum contract length in the next CBA, and maybe even 2. If players only are ever under contract for at most one season beyond the current one it's much harder to hold the teams hostage because they can just wait it out.

And yes, I know that Number Two ed out in that same situation. The max contract length reduction won't solve all the problems, but if those problems continue then I can totally see a push by the owners for mostly non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the first one I remember was that asshat Eric Gordon, after he was flipped to NO as part of the CP3 trade. Now, he has to put up with another ‘him’ destroying his current team. Karma, .
    True, I guess no one really gave a about Gordon though so he never started the trend that Leonard put into full motion among star players on guaranteed deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said.

At the very least, I expect another 1-year reduction in the maximum contract length in the next CBA, and maybe even 2. If players only are ever under contract for at most one season beyond the current one it's much harder to hold the teams hostage because they can just wait it out.

And yes, I know that Number Two ed out in that same situation. The max contract length reduction won't solve all the problems, but if those problems continue then I can totally see a push by the owners for mostly non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL.
    IDK, I think it's time for something more drastic. A few years of NFL style contracts and the NBAPA will be begging for guaranteed contracts and will be willing for them to have some teeth in enforcing them. Might be too late though, once the owners get NFL contracts there might be no going back. The NBAPA has really killed the golden goose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with bb that this type of ruins it for the small markets. Tbf though, theres someone like Blake Griffin on the other side of the spectrum. They put on a huge ass presentation for him just to trade him to a hole a year later. But cant feel too bad them since they're rewarded handsomely for those kind of "sacrifices".

NFL type contract would be great for the NBA. Theres no way cities like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore would have elite franchises in the NBA. The parity in the NFL is awesome, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK, I think it's time for something more drastic. A few years of NFL style contracts and the NBAPA will be begging for guaranteed contracts and will be willing for them to have some teeth in enforcing them. Might be too late though, once the owners get NFL contracts there might be no going back. The NBAPA has really killed the golden goose.
    I agree, especially on the bolded part. It seems that every new CBA is better for the owners and worse for the players than the previous one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real prize for the NBA owners would be a hard salary cap. That means cost certainty and no luxury tax. It would be nearly impossible with current guaranteed contracts, so those would have to go also.

Obviously the NBPA would fight tooth and nail over this, and would likely strike. But I can't see them prevailing if the owners really dig in, "you can't strike because we're locking you out!". It's a big enough deal that replacement players could be a thing for a while too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with bb that this type of ruins it for the small markets. Tbf though, theres someone like Blake Griffin on the other side of the spectrum. They put on a huge ass presentation for him just to trade him to a hole a year later. But cant feel too bad them since they're rewarded handsomely for those kind of "sacrifices".

NFL type contract would be great for the NBA. Theres no way cities like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore would have elite franchises in the NBA. The parity in the NFL is awesome, tbh.
    Did Griffin negotiate a trade kicker? 15% is pretty standard. If he didn't he probably signed the deal knowing the Clippers intended on trading him. Yeah it's hard to imagine an NBA right now where a team in a market like Kansas City could be dominant like we see in the NFL. Spurs only did it because they hit the lottery twice with Tim and Manu and had Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see what the league can do about these insecure, groupthink divas wanting to play in big markets and essentially run their franchises, but those are separate issues.

Players wanting those things, for whatever reason(s), it's their career/life, so whatever. But throwing tantrums, dragging your in bent team through the mud, while attempting to strongarm them and lowering your value in the process (won't happen in this case), is unacceptable and it's time these pukes start facing repercussions for their actions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a problem with what Paul did. He went and told the Clippers trade him or he was going to decline his option and become a free agent and then he got his big long term deal the next summer from Houston. That's different from players on multiyear deals forcing their way out of town after securing the commitment. I also have no problem with Paul George telling the Pacers he was going to leave in free agency in a year so they might explore trading him to keep from losing him for nothing. But him forcing a trade out of OKC after only one year of a huge five year deal was beyond chicken .
    Paul still duped Houston into giving him one of the worst contracts in the NBA - paying a guy who will be going on 37-years of age 44.2M in the last year- and then he noped right out of their team once the going got rough.

That indirectly hurt the Rockets because they had to shed a bunch of draft picks just to take on Westbrook's ty contract, then they had to take on John Wall's ty contract to get rid of Westbrook. They are walking away from the deal with a broken player on an equally- ty contract, and a lottery-protected first rounder. The decision to give him that money may have very well broken their window.

Obviously, I don't mind watching the Rockets make dumb decisions, and it's hard to say how much of that was just to keep Harden happy when it sounds like they weren't happy playing together. But I also doubt Houston committed to 160M/4 with the expectation he would be wanting out after a year...and the fact that they willingly embraced it shows that these supermax contracts are just bad for teams in general.

Zach Lowe said it the other day...the moment that pen hits the paper, it becomes an albatross of a contract that most teams would be glad to get rid of unless you are playing at a Top 5 Player level.
    Last edited by Dex; 12-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still duped Houston into giving him one of the worst contracts in the NBA - paying a guy who will be going on 37-years of age 44.2M in the last year- and then he noped right out of their team once the going got rough.

That indirectly hurt the Rockets because they had to shed a bunch of draft picks just to take on Westbrook's ty contract, then they had to take on John Wall's ty contract to get rid of Westbrook. They are walking away from the deal with a broken player on an equally- ty contract, and a lottery-protected first rounder.

Obviously, I don't mind watching the Rockets make dumb decisions, and it's hard to say how much of that was just to keep Harden happy when it sounds like they weren't happy playing together. But I also doubt Houston committed to 160M/4 with the expectation he would be wanting out after a year...and the fact that they willingly embraced it shows that these supermax contracts are just bad for teams in general. Zach Lowe said it the other day...the moment that pen hits the paper, it becomes an albatross of a contract that most teams would be glad to get rid of unless you are playing at a Top 5 Player level.
    Dude and then they offered him an extension at over 50 per!
    They don't know how lucky they got with him turning that down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul still duped Houston into giving him one of the worst contracts in the NBA - paying a guy who will be going on 37-years of age 44.2M in the last year- and then he noped right out of their team once the going got rough.

That indirectly hurt the Rockets because they had to shed a bunch of draft picks just to take on Westbrook's ty contract, then they had to take on John Wall's ty contract to get rid of Westbrook. They are walking away from the deal with a broken player on an equally- ty contract, and a lottery-protected first rounder. The decision to give him that money may have very well broken their window.

Obviously, I don't mind watching the Rockets make dumb decisions, and it's hard to say how much of that was just to keep Harden happy when it sounds like they weren't happy playing together. But I also doubt Houston committed to 160M/4 with the expectation he would be wanting out after a year...and the fact that they willingly embraced it shows that these supermax contracts are just bad for teams in general.

Zach Lowe said it the other day...the moment that pen hits the paper, it becomes an albatross of a contract that most teams would be glad to get rid of unless you are playing at a Top 5 Player level.
    Harden wanted Paul out. No way CP3 wanted to leave a le contender to go rebuild in OKC.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I thought CP3 wanted to leave because of Harden? And the Rockets owner wanted to grant his request because he thought it was the worst contract he ever saw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harden wanted Paul out. No way CP3 wanted to leave a le contender to go rebuild in OKC.
    I thought CP3 wanted to leave because of Harden? And the Rockets owner wanted to grant his request because he thought it was the worst contract he ever saw?
    This just goes to show that there is a lot of gray area here. We'll probably never know who pissed off who first.

Whether Paul wanted out or Harden wanted him gone...the Rockets were the ones who signed off on the stupid contract for their apparently malcontent star, and it and pretty much ruined their future doing so.

And now their franchise player - the one who wanted them to bring in more help - wants out because of their stupid decisions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harden wanted Paul traded and Westbrook traded for (Tillman also wanted the latter).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Harden still not reporting. He's in Philly now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope he waits until the end of pre-season. Don’t want him COVIDing all over the Spurs in our two preseason games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I thought it was cold as heck in Philly right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he waits until the end of pre-season. Don’t want him COVIDing all over the Spurs in our two preseason games.
    Is the league not implementing a quarantine period? Spurs play them within the next 11 days.

It would be lunacy to let him come back from all this he is doing and then just jump right back into practice or games.

Thread Information