Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Funny... ABC trying to defend the Spurs in the pre-game by saying "If anyone thinks the Spurs are a boring team, they don't know much about basketball" and "I don't see how anyone can call the Spurs boring"....

Followed by the most boring game in Finals history...

Ironic...

If you ask me it was a bad excuse for the horrible ratings for the Finals this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike the Mavs, they didn't blow a game 3 late and are now in the drivers seat.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Yeah, that was definitely the most boring Finals game I've ever seen.

That's more of a slight to the Cavs, because the Spurs can play just about any style successfully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Xylus....it's not the Spurs...it's the Cavs.

Besides why do people post about ratings? Who really gives a flying about ratings. It's all about the big prize that counts. I don't work for the network, therefore I could care less.

Go Spurs Go.

my personal quote : Hated by many, envied by all !

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it wasn't like game 5 last year when the whole world tuned in to see the Mavs choke the series away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ratings matter if your team is home ing one of their 200 es in one of their 10 houses

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not the Spurs its the calves, they are awful

Believe.
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    reminded me of the nets/cavs games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had one of the most exciting series in the playoffs with the Suns, and a decent matchup with Denver, so clearly something is up with Utah and Cleveland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why talk about ratings? We don't have any "High Ratings" banners in the rafters do we. I only see Championship banners, that's all I care about. Let the network worry about ratings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland is the most boring basketball team I've ever seen in my life. It's boring because of them. If it was SA vs. Miami or even SA vs. Chicago, there'd be way more viewers. Cleveland sucks ass.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cleveland's brand of basketball is modeled after ours, that's why they are boring.

They also have only two guys who can score instead of three, that's why they are slightly more boring than the Spurs.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the real money comes from endorsements...

not that winning has anything to do with who sponsors you in the nba. it usually does in most other sports.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Let's admit - it's never boring when Anderson Varejao loses the ball out of bounds and then tries a spin move with 10-seconds left against an All-NBA 1st team defender... if we ignore the other 47 minutes and 30 seconds of the game, then that makes for some exciting basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not our fault the League's playoff format sucks, or that the East in a JV conference. And it's certainly not our fault that Dallas sucked a fat one against GS, thus eliminating one more good team.

We just play, and beat, any and all comers. And despite the low score, I thought last night's game was good.

I'm all for a different playoff format. Us beating Phoenix in the Finals would be even better than beating them in the semis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad people aren't jumping on the Spurs bandwagon around the country, pretending to be hardcore Spurs fans like everyone who claimed to be a Lakers fan earlier in the decade. I'd prefer those people watch something else.

Here's hoping Game 3 set a new low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if the Suns or Mavs were a little more "boring" you would have some banners hanging in your arenas .....

Bunch of crybaby es

Go BLUE or go HOME! theMUHMEshow's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Maybe if the Suns or Mavs were a little more "boring" you would have some banners hanging in your arenas .....

Bunch of crybaby es
    Signed,

Sprus fans

agreed upon by Heat and Piston fans.

Thank you, Tim Duncan! peskypesky's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs and their fans (and real basketball fans everywhere) think winning Championships is what the game is all about. Mavs and Suns fans only care about ratings, apparently, which is good, because their teams have ZERO Championships.

Mavs and Suns fans can go jerk off to their ratings while the Spurs go shine their 4th Championship Tropy.

Maybe the Mavs and Suns can convince Stern to change the rules so that the trophy goes to not the best team, but the team with the highest ratings. Then, and only then, will they have a chance to feel what it feels like to be a Champion.

My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count
    Some points:

1. The ratings went down when ESPN/ABC took over from NBC. Obviously, the Disney conglomerate will never even examine the possibility that the real problem could be that ABC coverage blows monkey chunks. Honestly, I didn't think that ithe coverage could be any worse than 2005, until the cameras followed Bowen into the john WHILE THE GAME WAS STILL IN PROGRESS.

2. In his book "I May Be Wrong...But I Doubt It," Charles Barkley discusses NBA ratings. To sum up his position, he believes that the ratings are completely bogus for several reasons. Barkley comments that none of the hundreds of people he has asked have ever participated in the Nielsen program (black or white). Several studies have proven that blacks are underepresented in the Nielsen ratings. Theoretically, black Americans are more likely to watch the NBA than white or hispanic Americans. All this adds up to artifically low estimated ratings for the games.

To go along with that, I have lived in several different states, and I have never met anyone (or even known of anyone) who had a Nielsen box in their home. I did a quick poll at the office when I read Barkley's book in 2003, and no one in my workplace had ever known anyone with a Nielsen box. Maybe it's time to realize that the Emperor has no clothes?

3. Nothing gets good ratings anymore. There are too many options within the realm of television (cable, PPV, etc.), not to mention all of the other media options that exist today (DVD/VHS, computers, etc.).

4. The NBA is wasting too much money and effort to appeal to the "casual fan." First, I would argue that such a creature doesn't even exist. (A casual fanatic?) Second, the result is to hype a player, who has a finite career, rather than a team or the league itself. Third, the individualistic approach is doomed to failure and disappointed expectations. If the "next Jordan" was really that easy to find or manufacture, then he really isn't THAT special, right? People eventually tune out when the "next Jordan" plays like the next Juwan Howard.

5. Many people only watch the playoffs. This creates image problems for the league. Too many people watching the NBA for a few weeks out of the year have no real understanding or appreciation for the game. They buy what the WWL and Nike feeds them. For example, officiating in the NBA always sucks. There really is no overarching conspiracy; the officials just continue to suck in the postseason just like they did in the regular season.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love it how some fans of other teams take joy in the low ratings this year. It's really doesn't say much for this sport that we are all fans of when any finals match-up can't garner good numbers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nielsen ratings system is an outdated concept. Maybe in 1973, when most American households had ONE television set and there were only three networks (plus PBS), that system made sense and the data was probably more or less accurate.

But in 2007--13 years after the Internet hit the mainstream and well into the digitization of American culture and media, with hundreds of cable and satellite channels available to millions of households that have (in most cases) more than one television--not to mention the ability to download and view content via the Internet on computers and handheld devices--it's nothing more than ossified dinosaur bones in terms of its relevance to the reality of media consumption. If a homemade video can be created, posted online and draw millions of viewers--or even a few hundred thousand--how on earth can they think that a random sampling of households is going to provide an accurate picture of what people are watching on TV?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think some of you missed the point. You're right, no one cares about ratings except the stations. That's what made it so funny to me that ABC was commenting on how Spurs were not a boring team. The only way it could have been less pathetic is if they said "It's going to be a good game, please watch! Please don't turn the station"! As much as everyone knows how silly ratings are, TV programming still lives and dies by it.

If they were trying to change peoples perspective, insulting viewers by saying they don't know anything about basketball isn't the way to do it.

Thread Information