Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In many ways Derrick White has become an issue that most everyone would love to have. With the current roster it makes more sense to have Murray and Forbes start together (unless Murray developed a good reliable 3 pointer while injured)than White and Murray. Derrick can fill in for either of them and brings strong defense. He also has a good enough 3 that it can't be ignored but not enough accuracy that you really want to ask him to drastically increase the volume. Is there anyway to mold a young player looking for his first big nba contract to gracefully accept a role with big minutes but not start? Maybe we can have him become amazingly attached to Manu? Right now I hope all 4 of the young guards show strong for the year but upcoming contracts with 4 possibilities and 3 real spots start to mean in the near future tough choices will need made. (Walker is still a big ? In my mind as he didn't have enough time after serious injury to really get his feet under him and fully integrated.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I beleive you really want to argue whether White should start over murray which is a stale topic until at least training camp. White didn't prove anything much in the world cup murray is still instagram champ.

As to how to get White to be six man i think it might go like this: Pop "here's the starters for tonight's game" with pop producing a list of said starters without Derrick white on the list

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How to convince Derrick White to become 6th man?

Pop: Derrick - you're going to be coming off the bench.

Problem solved.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meant more for long term happiness and not having contant turmoil and debate. Starting used to mean quite a bit in contract negotiations and endorsement opertunities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick is a team first guy and would probably accept a 6th man role if Pop asked him. Theoretically it does make sense but in the end which gaurds actually end up staying based on who the Spurs want and what they're market value isis still up in the air. Spurs have enough gaurds to go around where if White can build more chemistry and show he can stay aggressive in the starting lineup it makes sense to leave him there. Personally I want him playing more like a SG (becoming an outside threat) which would let him utilize his skills going to the basket. He will be more dominant because of it.
    Last edited by SpursDynasty85; 09-25-2019 at 09:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see DJ as more of a 6th man, a Jamal Crawford type player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As to how to get White to be six man i think it might go like this: Pop "here's the starters for tonight's game" with pop producing a list of said starters without Derrick white on the list
    You nailed it. Pop will simply assign whomever he thinks is best for the team and that will be that. After that, he makes adjustments during the season if the initial assignments aren't working out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meant more for long term happiness and not having contant turmoil and debate. Starting used to mean quite a bit in contract negotiations and endorsement opertunities.
    Not all 3 guards may stay in the team long term. It's just a reality.

This season hopefully someone will emerge as the definitive keeper and the other two may just look around when their time comes to be a RFA and be signed for more than they are worth elsewhere (according to spurstalk all recent Spurs who left for other teams got more than they should have gotten... IMO it's the price of doing business and there is a market for their services, but I hope you get the point.)

In the long run one or two of the young guards may be signed elsewhere. So, I find it better to just enjoy the team in current form and stop worrying about future years. I have learned this the hard way, I used to speculate a ton about who may stay and who might go and in the end, there has ended up being a fairly large turnover in young players drafted or signed undrafted and developed by the team who have later left for more $, or opportunities elsewhere. Some of them may be priced out of what the Spurs are willing to pay. If they were in roleplayer status they could easily be replaced too, so you don't want to overspend on roleplayers.

However, should the team find themselves with a couple of stars a la Tony and Manu, I believe they would do whatever they can to keep both guys. We still have to see if the team has a few young budding stars, or if they have some good players whose ceiling is roleplayer status, in which case a cost/benefit analysis applies. For the right price you keep them, they get too much elsewhere though and it's sayonara to them.

I hope this year we see these guys flourishing and get a better sense of where this is going. But it doesn't matter if you have a guy start or come off the bench, the quality of their play will definitely show wherever and other teams are watching. So when FA comes around, that is when we find out who is a keeper and who is not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Used to...if he wants to start long term he needs to be best pt guard on team so as others said no debate until after pre season n we see if one is better than other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he’s a beta cuckold as evidenced by the denver series. he’ll do anything pop tells him, especially after being gifted an olympics spot, even after embarrassing the country in the FIBA World Cup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He cost the USA a gold. Trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray and DDR would be the primary ball handlers in the starting lineup and Carroll and Forbes would be the high volume 3pt shooters and Aldridge as the interior scorer/ pick and pop big.

Bringing White off the bench best for the team and give him a chance to be the primary ball handler off the bench while still playing a lot of minutes (~26-28 per game) He could be a 6th man of the year candidate.

The ideal lineup would be;
    Murray, Forbes, DDR, Carrol, Aldridge
    Mills, White, Beli/Walker, Gay, Poeltl

Lineup Pop will probably play;
    Murray, White, DDR, Carrol, LMA
    Mills, Forbes, Beli/Walker, Gay, Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the best line up possible is:

PG: Mills.
    SG:Forbes
    SF: DDR
    PF: Marco
    C: LMA

LMA and DDR are both iso mid range shooters so it makes sense to surround them with 3 point snipers. Mills is a pesky defender and a savvy vet player who can more than hold up his own against opposing starting point guards. Forbes has clearly hit the weight room and has gotten much stronger so he should be able to guard most opposing 2 guards. Marco will more than make up for whatever he lacks defensively with his offense. And since DDR is an above average rebounder we shouldn’t lose out too much on the boards with him and Aldridge...

And maybe just maybe after seeing an entire bleeping season of how ty the pairing of Mills and Marco are together, Pop will never play them together in the playoffs and cost us another series. But I can only hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering he was gifted a national team slot by poop and played like straight trash, he better be willing to do whatever poop tells him to do, even if that's wiping Kawhitter's ass tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't. You start him and have the guy coming off a season long injury come off the bench to watch his minutes. Besides, you say that it makes sense for Murray to play alongside Forbes, because of Bryn's shooting, playing with the bench Murray will have even more shooting around him with Mills, Belinelli and Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LMA and DDR are both iso mid range shooters so it makes sense to surround them with 3 point snipers. Mills is a pesky defender and a savvy vet player who can more than hold up his own against opposing starting point guards. Forbes has clearly hit the weight room and has gotten much stronger so he should be able to guard most opposing 2 guards. Marco will more than make up for whatever he lacks defensively with his offense. And since DDR is an above average rebounder we shouldn’t lose out too much on the boards with him and Aldridge...

And maybe just maybe after seeing an entire bleeping season of how ty the pairing of Mills and Marco are together, Pop will never play them together in the playoffs and cost us another series. But I can only hope.
    Marco, asi in Marco Bellinelli? At PF? Starting?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marco, asi in Marco Bellinelli? At PF? Starting?
    I stopped reading at Marco. The poster realizes a lineup that has DDR/Beli as your second/third biggest guys combined with a midget backcourt will put up a DRtg of like 140. Will be run off court in a few minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mills and Marco starting? I see you're going for the tank.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a necessary evil brah. Maybe after the first quarter of the season of us giving up 160 points a game Pop will realize just how stupid it is to have them on the court at the same time. And yeah I’m still salty about the Denver series

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stopped reading at Marco. The poster realizes a lineup that has DDR/Beli as your second/third biggest guys combined with a midget backcourt will put up a DRtg of like 140. Will be run off court in a few minutes.
    But think of that bench unit though. DJ, DW, LW4,Gay, Poetl. It’s unstoppable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DW4, I believe, has the same at ude as Manu... White strikes me as a player who will do anything for the team, even if it means for him to come off the bench to win. White is a work in progress, & I believe that he needs to work on his scoring, primarily, his outside shooting/3 point scoring which this team sorely needs for the starting lineup, which hopefully Forbes will fill, barring his defensive liabilities, UGG! But White will be just fine for the 2nd unit. I can see this season's starting line-up of Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll & LMA. BUT, barring injuries, matchup situations and Pop's "mad scientist tinkering," I can see some "interesting lineups" as always, for this up and coming season. There's that old NBA saying: "it's not who starts the game, BUT who finishes the game that matters." GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    out of the 10 rotation Players only Murray, DeRozan and Poeltl can't shoot 3s. So it makes way more sense to bring Murray off the bench to only have one non-3-point threat from the perimeter in each line up instead of starting 2 together. That would hurt the spacing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wastes his defense IMO. What about convincing DD to come off the bench...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    out of the 10 rotation Players only Murray, DeRozan and Poeltl can't shoot 3s. So it makes way more sense to bring Murray off the bench to only have one non-3-point threat from the perimeter in each line up instead of starting 2 together. That would hurt the spacing
    Makes more sense to dump Derozan on anyone who offers something of the slightest value.

Thread Information