Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ I seem passionate about this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if it's not more viable as a means of preventing illegal crossings and it's at least as expensive, it can't be more efficient.
    Well of course it’s viable and more efficient. By definition it can catch cases a wall never will.

The problem with the wall is that it has a low ceiling (pun intended). It’s basically a medieval solution to a much more complex problem against a well funded opponent. A wall is inherently expensive and inefficient, given the extent of the border, the maintenance cost and relatively high vulnerability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wait until they start using multiple drones to lift people over the wall. It's probably already happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now there's no way to know how many illegals are in this country. Sure you can tell when they volunteer to be counted but otherwise you don't know.
    There are ways to do fairly good approximations. These people don’t disappear into the underground. They use services. A good amount of them get a Tax ID and pay their taxes. Census count them (as a total of the population, but then you do know the legal/citizen count, so it’s fairly simple math).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is that a false dilemma? Efficiency is a rating, a rating has to have a standard.
    Just because something is structurally inefficient, it doesn't mean the only other solution is to make it structurally efficient. Believe it or not, there are other options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure I can think of a more sturdy fencing if fencing is the answer. If it's just that the fence isn't sturdy enough I think that's a different conversation. It's not hard to break through brick walls either. Even rebar reinforced concrete can be broken through with a simple sledgehammer over time.
    Sure hours. There should be patrols along any fencing as well. As it is now, they can take a sawzall and wait for the last patrol to leave and be through in less than half an hour. Get two people working in tandem and its faster.

Reinforced pilings would take more that a sledgehammer if done right. You have to break away the concrete then cut out the rebar then do it again for every layer. More than enough time for a decent patrol time to come through.

$10B or whatever the pricetag is to this point is a waste of resources.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well of course it’s viable and more efficient. By definition it can catch cases a wall never will.

The problem with the wall is that it has a low ceiling (pun intended). It’s basically a medieval solution to a much more complex problem against a well funded opponent. A wall is inherently expensive and inefficient, given the extent of the border, the maintenance cost and relatively high vulnerability.
    This is very true but they do make sense in certain areas for example densely populated areas. Building it along the 1300 mile border and patrolling it 24/365 is an asinine idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are ways to do fairly good approximations. These people don’t disappear into the underground. They use services. A good amount of them get a Tax ID and pay their taxes. Census count them (as a total of the population, but then you do know the legal/citizen count, so it’s fairly simple math).
    For numbers, sure, but not for individuals. For example, a known terrorist likely wouldn't come over on a visa. You'd not know if one crossed illegally at the border even if you could approximate the odds and about how many actual people may have crossed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ I seem passionate about this...
    The Passion of the Jesus Christ

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why a recip saw?

An oxy torch would be quicker

btw, Harbor Freight sells really good recip saws

https://www.harborfreight.com/75-amp...saw-69067.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp...saw-56250.html
    I love those things.
    There is something to be said for having the right tools. To saw almost anything. They are great for tight spaces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because something is structurally inefficient, it doesn't mean the only other solution is to make it structurally efficient. Believe it or not, there are other options.
    I never said that.

I said it has to be compared to another method. What other method of border control would you suggest?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said that.

I said it has to be compared to another method. What other method of border control would you suggest?
    Oh right because "efficiency has a rating" could mean plenty of things besides structures.

I'm fine with border control the way it was before Trump made it a political talking point. I'd even be fine with throwing a few extra bucks at adding BP agents. Just stop wasting money on a stupid inefficient wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh right because "efficiency has a rating" could mean plenty of things besides structures.

I'm fine with border control the way it was before Trump made it a political talking point. I'd even be fine with throwing a few extra bucks at adding BP agents. Just stop wasting money on a stupid inefficient wall.
    Lol wanting the inefficient BP keeping up the status quo because that was def working wonders prior. Don't lie cuck you want open borders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For numbers, sure, but not for individuals. For example, a known terrorist likely wouldn't come over on a visa. You'd not know if one crossed illegally at the border even if you could approximate the odds and about how many actual people may have crossed.
    I agree with this, but I would counter it makes even more pressing we secure the border in the most efficient manner, instead applying politically expedient gimmicks which we already know have a high degree of vulnerability.

I mean, at least in some areas we already have a multi-layered system with in land checkpoints (which predate any wall), but even those, being locally static, can be planned for.

Ultimately, proactive intelligence work likely has the best return on investment when it comes to organized crime (and again, not a wall)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this, but I would counter it makes even more pressing we secure the border in the most efficient manner, instead applying politically expedient gimmicks which we already know have a high degree of vulnerability.

I mean, at least in some areas we already have a multi-layered system with in land checkpoints (which predate any wall), but even those, being locally static, can be planned for.

Ultimately, proactive intelligence work likely has the best return on investment when it comes to organized crime (and again, not a wall)
    I would suggest manned towers along the walls and regular crisscrossing thermal imagine drone surveillance ops. Maybe some land mines and concertina wire on high chain link fences with auto rapid target acquisition mini guns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would suggest manned towers along the walls and regular crisscrossing thermal imagine drone surveillance ops. Maybe some land mines and concertina wire on high chain link fences with auto rapid target acquisition mini guns.
    Don’t forget seismic sensors. Tunnels are a thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I said that after you said my comment was a false dilemma.

How can something be deemed inefficient if there's no way to measure efficiency?

You keep offering up baseless objections and balk when called out. Think about your objection and avoid the logical fallacy accusations until you actually understand how they work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget seismic sensors. Tunnels are a thing.
    Snipers as well. Build military bases along the border. If they cross between them surely they will be seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, Concertina wire is widely deployed at the border...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snipers as well. Build military bases along the border. If they cross between them surely they will be seen.
    Cameras and Sensors are much more cost effective

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump’s Impenetrable Wall Isn’t So Impenetrable | The Daily Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=VCkIva2L-B0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol wanting the inefficient BP keeping up the status quo because that was def working wonders prior. Don't lie cuck you want open borders.
    Don't lie you weren't scared of the border before Trump told you to be scared

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said that after you said my comment was a false dilemma.

How can something be deemed inefficient if there's no way to measure efficiency?

You keep offering up baseless objections and balk when called out. Think about your objection and avoid the logical fallacy accusations until you actually understand how they work.
    inefficient

adjective
    US /ˌɪn·ɪˈfɪʃ·ənt/

wasting time, money, energy, or other valuable possessions or qualities

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...sh/inefficient

I'd like to see your definition of "efficiency rating"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake taking a break from laughing at all the idiots to provide a non-answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris taking a break from the James Woods Twitter feed to do that troll thingy

Thread Information